fordhamfans.com
September 21, 2017, 10:41:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2017-18 Schedule Released

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017-18 Schedule Released  (Read 1898 times)
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »

Still some TBDs as far as start times are concerned.

http://www.fordhamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora

Social Buttons

Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »

This schedule looks quite a bit more challenging than the last few years.   Go RAMS.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »

Freedonia?!  Hail, Hail, Freedonia . . . . Oh, wait, not that Freedonia? My bad. But I really wanted to meet Rufus. T. Firefly.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:39 am »

Trip to Jamaica is good stuff, invaluable opportunity for those guys to come together.

According to the text I just got, Florida State is also in the tournament.

If I'm not mistaken, Fordham/Tulane may have been the season opener 15 years ago? More?...
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:13:24 am »

Another step up in ooc schedule.  Home game against a good Harvard team will be a fun game.  Manhattan on a Su day afternoon is poor.  Saturday after thanksgiving would have been fun Sunday is an attendance killer.  Disappointed no Saint Johns. ETSU is a good program and a good game.  As for the Montenegro games here is a website  listing the teams not sure how our second game is determined.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/6/7/15736894/2017-18-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:41:23 am »

You are right. Sunday after Thanksgiving is the worst travel day of year. Not smart
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:24:23 am »

Terrible day for that game. I have always thought that weekend was perfect for a local game, but not Sunday! Saturday night or even Friday night would work.

At 2 PM on Sunday not even the students are back!!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:35:55 am »

Terrible day for that game. I have always thought that weekend was perfect for a local game, but not Sunday! Saturday night or even Friday night would work.

also, NFL.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:06:47 am »

Freedonia?!  Hail, Hail, Freedonia . . . . Oh, wait, not that Freedonia? My bad. But I really wanted to meet Rufus. T. Firefly.
+1....
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:25:58 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Fordham/Tulane may have been the season opener 15 years ago? More?...

Nov. 17, 1999
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 11:30:24 am »

thumbs upon the schedule    good variety     no noon, 1 or 9 o'clock start times as yet     like the 2 and 3 PM starts
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:08:38 pm »

overall a nice improvement to the schedule.

minor disappointment in:
1. no red stain
2. day and tine of Manhattan game, terrible planning.

No big deal, but would prefer to swap out a few more regional teams that may bring in some attendance.
say Fairfield and Stonybrook instead of Maine or FLA A&M

I guess they schedule Maine and FLA A&M as W's
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 01:30:58 pm »

overall a nice improvement to the schedule.

minor disappointment in:
1. no red stain
2. day and tine of Manhattan game, terrible planning.

No big deal, but would prefer to swap out a few more regional teams that may bring in some attendance.
say Fairfield and Stonybrook instead of Maine or FLA A&M

I guess they schedule Maine and FLA A&M as W's

IMO the only uptick in attendance for those games would be from the visiting team. I don't think Stonybrook or Fairfield are a draw to anyone. Just my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 02:46:40 pm »

My impression is that this game intentionally has been scheduled for a quiet time (i.e. long weekends) over the last several years.  I would not be surprised if the administration wants to discourage students from drinking all day and creating a stir at the game.

As to the NFL, it will be week 12 of the regular season.  The Giants are playing @ Wash Thanksgiving night.  No conflict.  The Panthers are @ Jets at 1:00, but that game might not be meaningful by then.  The better NFL games are Sun night (GB @ Pitt) and Mon night (Hou @ Balt), unless you have interest in Mia @ NE at 1:00.   Wink  If you are a student you come back early, go to the BB game and follow it up with a trip to your favorite Little Italy restaurant or bar.   
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »

My impression is that this game intentionally has been scheduled for a quiet time (i.e. long weekends) over the last several years.  I would not be surprised if the administration wants to discourage students from drinking all day and creating a stir at the game.

As to the NFL, it will be week 12 of the regular season.  The Giants are playing @ Wash Thanksgiving night.  No conflict.  The Panthers are @ Jets at 1:00, but that game might not be meaningful by then.    

re Fordham students drinking all day and creating stir at the Manhattan game, those days are long gone

re Carolina = Jets game not being meaningful, as a Jet fan, totally agree
Report Spam   Logged
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »

I honestly feel nowadays that the Manhattan rivalry is one-sided hate. I went to the game at Draddy last year and was amazed how pumped up the Jasper crowd was in comparison to the game two years ago at our place. They do not like us. The game against us is the Super Bowl for them. So that game's date and time means little to me (I'll likely go anyway). What continues to baffle me is that they still won't schedule ANY Saturday night games when the students are here.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »

Jefe , the students don't come to games irrespective of time or day. It's the alumni being inconvenienced.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »

IMO the only uptick in attendance for those games would be from the visiting team. I don't think Stonybrook or Fairfield are a draw to anyone. Just my opinion.

That was my point the visiting team may actually bring some fan$.
teh program needs ever dollar it can get
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 08:44:21 am »

That was my point the visiting team may actually bring some fan$.
teh program needs ever dollar it can get

I'm not on to throw away money, but you are talking very little money there. No way can that be the strategy behind scheduling.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:49 am »

I'm not on to throw away money, but you are talking very little money there. No way can that be the strategy behind scheduling.

Especially since those teams don't have a big fan base.  I think iona fans would flock to the RHG for that game. Fordham fans flock to RHG for Saint johns.  I've said for years the manhattan game means nothing to younger fordham alumni and current students. Same for iona.  Saint johns matters because they are in the big east.   We need to market that ETSU game, they are really good. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:36 am »

The Football team is undefeated against West Virginia.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 10:56:35 am »

I'm going with 6-6 OOC...
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 12:46:09 pm »

never said visiting fans would bring in major coin, just some added dollars as I doubt virtually anybody from Maine and FAMU will come to Rose Hill.
If Fairfield was a Sat game during the school year, I do think they would bring a few hundred.
We all know Iona would bring big numbers but maybe we afraid to play them as it would likely be a lose to a local team from a lesser conference.  At this point in time I would probably not want to play them either as it would be embarrassing.

$$$ should get factored into scheduling, not as a priority but it is a variable on the schedule strategy (even FU even has one).  Maybe a not a big deal at Fordham but it is at other places.

Being an ETSU alum I attended the ETSU at Villanova game in 2 years ago and I was shocked how many Bucs fans came.  Got the slim pickins of comp seats.  Sadly the game was over 10 mins in.   ETSU faithful may attend and make a NYC trip of it.

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 01:22:09 pm »

Simply not enough money to matter our tickets are dirt cheap.  We wanted to schedule iona last year(pre severe transferring) they refused to come to RHG. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 04:46:41 pm »

As to the NFL, it will be week 12 of the regular season.  The Giants are playing @ Wash Thanksgiving night.  No conflict.  The Panthers are @ Jets at 1:00, but that game might not be meaningful by then.  The better NFL games are Sun night (GB @ Pitt) and Mon night (Hou @ Balt), unless you have interest in Mia @ NE at 1:00.   Wink  If you are a student you come back early, go to the BB game and follow it up with a trip to your favorite Little Italy restaurant or bar.   

Even if the NFL was not a conflicting issue, how about traffic. The day before Thanksgiving is typically the worst traffic day of the year followed by the Sunday after Thanksgiving with everyone returning. As for the students, they don't attend games as it is let alone coming back early over the Thanksgiving weekend to attend one.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 09:30:34 pm »

Only three games are TBD, which means Duquesne, Davidson, or UMass may be the only televised home games. No games in The Barc or MSG.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 03:51:35 pm »

Simply not enough money to matter our tickets are dirt cheap.

There are also not enough seats in the RHG to matter.

Even if you sold every seat in the RHG at full price for every home game, what would that come to?
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »

It may not be a small fortune but it would equate to money we apparently do not have.

Notice the lipstick to the egg floor and sky boxes are not getting stared nor are the football coaches offices.
Every little bit helps.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 10:16:50 pm »

There are also not enough seats in the RHG to matter.

Even if you sold every seat in the RHG at full price for every home game, what would that come to?

If one assumed 3000 salable seats (generous) at $20 apiece, a sellout would get you $60,000.  If you had 15 sellouts a year, your ticket revenue would be $900K. Well, that covers the salary of maybe the head coach and his top assistant . . . and nothing else. No travel, no scholarships, no equipment, no other staff or front office folks. A joke. If you had 15 sellouts per year at $40 a head . . . still a joke.

But no, our arena's fine, no need for a replacement . . .  .
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 10:26:46 pm »

It may not be a small fortune but it would equate to money we apparently do not have.

Notice the lipstick to the egg floor and sky boxes are not getting stared nor are the football coaches offices.
Every little bit helps.

True, every little bit helps, but you don't mess with your schedule for little bits.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: