fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2017, 06:50:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2017-18 Schedule Released

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017-18 Schedule Released  (Read 1985 times)
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:33 pm »

If one assumed 3000 salable seats (generous) at $20 apiece, a sellout would get you $60,000.  If you had 15 sellouts a year, your ticket revenue would be $900K. Well, that covers the salary of maybe the head coach and his top assistant . . . and nothing else. No travel, no scholarships, no equipment, no other staff or front office folks. A joke. If you had 15 sellouts per year at $40 a head . . . still a joke.

But no, our arena's fine, no need for a replacement . . .  .

I don't even think it's an arena thing in terms of profit. I think it's a fan base thing. If we were selling out 15 times a year, we'd likely have to be so good to warrant games being moved to Barclays or MSG. If you bump it up to $100 dollars a head for 15 games with 10K attendance, it'd still be joke once you take out the rent. And let's face it, our fan base isn't strong enough for 10K per game.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:44 am »

I don't even think it's an arena thing in terms of profit. I think it's a fan base thing. If we were selling out 15 times a year, we'd likely have to be so good to warrant games being moved to Barclays or MSG. If you bump it up to $100 dollars a head for 15 games with 10K attendance, it'd still be joke once you take out the rent. And let's face it, our fan base isn't strong enough for 10K per game.

Its not messing with a schedule, simply fine tuning.

Fordham vs Iona alone would outdraw Fordham vs FAMU and Fordham vs Maine combined.
plus it would get press coverage
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 11:26:13 am »

Its not messing with a schedule, simply fine tuning.

Fordham vs Iona alone would outdraw Fordham vs FAMU and Fordham vs Maine combined.
plus it would get press coverage

Fordham/Iona means nothing. Preparing the team for the A-10 schedule and scheduling smart games that help our RPI is what matters.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »

Sadly scheduling Iona would improve our RPI,especially compared to Maine and FAMU.

Rich 93 says Iona refuses to play us in RHG.  It may be true but it doesn't make sense to me.
Why not have an excellent chance (probably would be favored) to knock off a local team from a higher conference team in their own gym with a close to equal crowd with virtually no travel costs?  Seems like a no brainer to me.  If I were Iona's AD I would take that game in a heartbeat (and would even consider it without a return game)

I know St. Joseph's has a scheduling strategy to try and schedule the weakest teams from the conference above the,  I talk to one of their Assistant AD;s about it at length.  They do their best to make it happen every year. 
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »

Sadly scheduling Iona would improve our RPI,especially compared to Maine and FAMU.

Rich 93 says Iona refuses to play us in RHG.  It may be true but it doesn't make sense to me.
Why not have an excellent chance (probably would be favored) to knock off a local team from a higher conference team in their own gym with a close to equal crowd with virtually no travel costs?  Seems like a no brainer to me.  If I were Iona's AD I would take that game in a heartbeat (and would even consider it without a return game)

I know St. Joseph's has a scheduling strategy to try and schedule the weakest teams from the conference above the,  I talk to one of their Assistant AD;s about it at length.  They do their best to make it happen every year. 

Doesn't help your RPI if you lose. Why would you invite a very good mid major who is local and will bring fans into your gym and risk getting beat. It is a lose lose game.

Scheduling weaker Major teams is a good strategy as you can possibly get a road win that can improve your RPI. That is the exact opposite of us scheduling Iona at home.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 04:25:46 pm »

Yes, but you accurately point out the irony and futility of our current situation. If we pump up the fan base to a solid 3000 per game, we're bleeding red ink. If you pumped it up to 10,000, you don't much improve your prospects, since renting MSG for, say $200,000 a date, takes a $20 per ticket bite out of 10,000 tickets. And [1970-71 aside, we live in more jaded times], you're not going to push your fan base from 3,000 to more than 10,000 overnight.  Let's say you can develop a solid fan base of 6,000. Renting MSG could accommodate them (sadly, there are no mid-sized arenas in the NYC area), but it would be an absolutely financial bloodbath.

On the other hand, let's say we had a 7,000 seat arena on or near campus. You tell the coach, "OK, we're pulling in 2,500 a game, your job is to try to fill the rest of those seats". Say the coach delivers crowds of 6,000 at $25 a seat, that's $150K per game. Get 15 home games, that's $2.25 million in ticket revenue per year. Something like that would make economic sense for the school and the program. Fill the joint, get $30 a seat . . . you can do the math.

[Also, as I've said many times, a mid-sized arena in the NYC area could, with proper management, be a cash cow for other events.]
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »

practice starts in a few weeks. Thank God.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »

my understanding of the Iona scheduling situation is that they insisted on hosting first with RHG in year two     would like to see that rivalry revived especially with the dramatic contrast in styles between the teams as currently coached, uptempo vs D emphasis     it would draw as well      perhaps some swallowing of pride and a coin flip could decide initial location, doubt it       the Manhattan vs Iona games are the most intense in the area
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »

Times for the NBC Sports games are @VCU 12/30 12:30, Davidson 1/14 3:00, UMass 1/27 2:00.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:16 pm »

Yes, but you accurately point out the irony and futility of our current situation. If we pump up the fan base to a solid 3000 per game, we're bleeding red ink. If you pumped it up to 10,000, you don't much improve your prospects, since renting MSG for, say $200,000 a date, takes a $20 per ticket bite out of 10,000 tickets. And [1970-71 aside, we live in more jaded times], you're not going to push your fan base from 3,000 to more than 10,000 overnight.  Let's say you can develop a solid fan base of 6,000. Renting MSG could accommodate them (sadly, there are no mid-sized arenas in the NYC area), but it would be an absolutely financial bloodbath.

On the other hand, let's say we had a 7,000 seat arena on or near campus. You tell the coach, "OK, we're pulling in 2,500 a game, your job is to try to fill the rest of those seats". Say the coach delivers crowds of 6,000 at $25 a seat, that's $150K per game. Get 15 home games, that's $2.25 million in ticket revenue per year. Something like that would make economic sense for the school and the program. Fill the joint, get $30 a seat . . . you can do the math.

[Also, as I've said many times, a mid-sized arena in the NYC area could, with proper management, be a cash cow for other events.]

Interesting plan.  Hard to believe the Mt Vernon arena actually was a decent idea.  Don't forget though, we don't charge students.  If we got good and students starting attending in a significant number, (1500?), knock 25% off those numbers.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 11:49:27 am »

Interesting plan.  Hard to believe the Mt Vernon arena actually was a decent idea.  Don't forget though, we don't charge students.  If we got good and students starting attending in a significant number, (1500?), knock 25% off those numbers.

Even if you did that, the numbers would make far more sense than current ones. [And when teams get really good, free student tickets tend to go out the door, or get paid for through an activity fee].

As for the cash cow aspect, a business trip took me last month to St. Louis. School wasn't back in yet, but SLU's arena was advertising a full slate of events for the public.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 06:31:15 pm »

Even if you did that, the numbers would make far more sense than current ones. [And when teams get really good, free student tickets tend to go out the door, or get paid for through an activity fee].

As for the cash cow aspect, a business trip took me last month to St. Louis. School wasn't back in yet, but SLU's arena was advertising a full slate of events for the public.

Just to follow up on an earlier point, actual ticket revenue is I'm sure inconsequential to the administration right now.  They know that they can't expect much given our small facility, fan base, and historic mediocrity.  My guess is they count themselves fortunate to make whatever they made the previous year, and use that in their budget.

I'm totally against the idea of free tickets as a general practice.  Students should have their tickets included as part of an increased activity fee, and then you tell them about that so they feel motivated to "use it or lose it".  For everyone else you set a price which is realistic given where we are at and advertise yourself as a good value-family entertainment option.  If you're eventually packing the place routinely then you can raise it.  Maybe if you somehow convince Duke or Michigan State to visit the RHG (and yes I'm being facetious here), then you can charge a premium price.  Any other pricing strategy is delusional, as is the notion that the RHG could ever really generate significant revenue.  In fact, given the renovations done recently or still needed, it's a net drain on cash.

Fordham would be best served financially by doing well enough to go deep into conference play and get more conference money, and to play big teams on TV.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:53 pm »

First practice in a few weeks. Thank god.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: