fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 07:00:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Chasing Greatness Documentary

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chasing Greatness Documentary  (Read 1923 times)
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:02 pm »

I hate to break this to some but no one on this board is the target market for this communication.

The target market are high school prospects, in their junior and sophomore seasons.

This style totally mimics the current style of reality, behind the scenes productions that players eat up.  Think of the wildly successful HBO Hard Knocks series and the surprise Netflix hit “Last Chance U.” Even niche entities like USA Football produced a popular season long series behind the scenes at Long Beach Pol HS.   Trust me, it’s everywhere. Kids and player parents can’t get enough of it.

For example…. The Fort Worth Star Telegram produced a season long series following a perennial state champ, Aledo HS.  For them it engaged younger viewers with an old, and largely irrelevant,  newspaper brand.

For those on the board saying it was less than ‘interesting’ … usually the interesting stuff is the conflict, drama, foul language and coaches losing their minds in anger.  No place for that in this initiative.

I bet if they had a creative brief the objective was “Give us a video we can distribute to the widest set of prospects possible” 
The goal of the video/series is “make Fordham look like a place you can see yourself playing at.”

My son got these from schools coast to coast.  It was the easiest way to get a sense of whether he wanted to even visit.  There were several that went from ‘not on my list’ to ‘yeah, I’d like visit.’   I asked him to react to it.  He said ... "cool"

The elements this Fordham video smartly featured included…
-They made Coffey look big by shooting the tall rear of the stands, shooting the field from the visitor side.
-The training facilities were well branded and looked normal
-guys having more fun than bustin’ their ass
-piles of food that seemed enjoyable
-a young coach giving positive presentation …. Better than a b buster
-the campus looked attractive
-the team chemistry looked great

It pays off in other ways…. like offering nice reward to Chase for all he’s given, and his loyalty.  The other guys love seeing themselves in these things.  This is the first generation that values 'fame' more than they value 'being rich'   They'll be stoked by this series.

I found it a healthy break from the ancient photos of past greatness. I has happy not to listen to an out of key version of our fight song that pops up in many of our videos. 

* No nostalgia
* No resemblance to out of date icons
* No straw hats, cheerleaders outfits designed by nuns, elderly fans, polite crowds

The worst part was that the team meeting had to be in an old Keating classroom. I took Business Planning in that theater style room 30 years ago  Shocked

Welcome to 2017 ... good to see Fordham playing to the present rather than the past. 

Vince Lombardi would approve if it helped attract players  Wink

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:03:29 pm by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: