fordhamfans.com
September 19, 2017, 09:35:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Chasing Greatness Documentary

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chasing Greatness Documentary  (Read 1639 times)
dadas2002
Waterboy

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:29:36 pm »

Documentary on Chase posted by Fordham Athletics posted on Facebook today:

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:16:30 pm »

Not a great idea...
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:55:52 pm »

Not a great idea...

I guess every opponent on the schedule wasn't jacked up enough... 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:03:26 pm »

I guess every opponent on the schedule wasn't jacked up enough... 

What?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ramjam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:33 pm »

What?
More ammunition and motivation to prevent the "Chase for the Record". HC needs to prevent this from being filmed or at least posted. Further evidence that we have run amok.

EWU 63
FU 24
Report Spam   Logged

Be the Hammer, Not the Nail
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:55 am »

Good God this is stupidity at the highest level.  How high up the totem pole does this decision making go?  Head Coach, Roach, WHO???

I am actually shocked that we, as an institution, are approving of this. 

Please, somebody on this board convince me that I am "negative" and that there is no issue with this going public. 

Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:33 am »

Gimme a break.  If any player on any team on our schedule doesn't already know Chase is coming, or needs to watch this to get fired up or prepare for us in any way ... well, that's an opponent I'm not terribly worried about.  What program wouldn't jump at a chance to be on A Season With ... on Showtime?  How many athletic departments are banning College Game Day or SportsCenter from Campus?  That said, I think it would have been more interesting to include Chase's senior year and broadcast the program after the season, but just judging from the first episode, this isn't going to hurt us.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 01:32:15 am »

If Ram-Louse thinks it's stupid, it must be okay. If you look up "negative" in the dictionary, you'll see his picture there, as the perfect illustration.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:08:58 am »

The video itself was not very interesting, to be quite honest.

As for it being done at all, I do recall many here saying recently that we should be doing something to promote Chase, that guys like him don't come around often and we should be doing everything we can to let the world know about him. Well there you go.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:26 am »

is Fordham producing this?
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:57 am »

The video itself was not very interesting, to be quite honest.

As for it being done at all, I do recall many here saying recently that we should be doing something to promote Chase, that guys like him don't come around often and we should be doing everything we can to let the world know about him. Well there you go.

agreed 1000% (especially about it not being terribly interesting).  It certainly shows him as a team player looking to give credit to his OL and teammates.  Have no clue where the goofy comment about this getting opponents "jacked up" is coming from in particular. 

I was going to post something similar that just prior to the season there were posts ripping the admin for not promoting Chase or the program enough and the same handful of posters are now ripping an article on our coach and a documentary on our star player.  For those it seems that any criticism is fair and accurate and anything that comes out of the administration or program is automatically ridiculed or held in contempt. 

I'm really down on the staff, players and program right now for how we've started the season and really hope we can somehow turn things around.  That said, I'm not going to rip on everything that emanates from Rose Hill about our program as being yet another sign of the program or administration's ineptitude.  Seems many on here must have some sort of personal grudge or something going on wrong at home. 

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:26:52 am »

is Fordham producing this?

Not sure but they are promoting it.  Found this which gives a schedule that some posters can put in their calendar so they can get to work now on posts ripping the administration, coaches, players, etc.  It's clear there's no need to view or read the content before claiming something was the dumbest idea ever so they can all get a jump on it now and have it queued up:

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/9/12/football-first-episode-of-chasing-greatness-live.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 08:38:36 am »

agreed 1000% (especially about it not being terribly interesting).  It certainly shows him as a team player looking to give credit to his OL and teammates.  Have no clue where the goofy comment about this getting opponents "jacked up" is coming from in particular. 

I was going to post something similar that just prior to the season there were posts ripping the admin for not promoting Chase or the program enough and the same handful of posters are now ripping an article on our coach and a documentary on our star player.  For those it seems that any criticism is fair and accurate and anything that comes out of the administration or program is automatically ridiculed or held in contempt. 

I'm really down on the staff, players and program right now for how we've started the season and really hope we can somehow turn things around.  That said, I'm not going to rip on everything that emanates from Rose Hill about our program as being yet another sign of the program or administration's ineptitude.  Seems many on here must have some sort of personal grudge or something going on wrong at home. 

If you have a problem with me just say it.  I've been supportive of the program since I graduated.  I didn't "rip" anything. I can have an opinion just like you can.  Things are fine at home thanks, and I don't have a grudge -- I'm actually very proud of what was accomplished a long time ago.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:23 am »

This is much ado about nothing. This video isn't going to get anyone jacked up to play Fordham/Chase. He's been tearing teams up for 3 years... putting up 200 + yard games on people. This is the breaking point? A video? Get Real.

Sometimes Fordham is damned if they do, damned if they don't. People wanted frigging bill boards and media blitzes to get him on the Heisman stage and others are freaking out about a meaningless video.

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:00 am »

Good God this is stupidity at the highest level.  How high up the totem pole does this decision making go?  Head Coach, Roach, WHO???

I am actually shocked that we, as an institution, are approving of this. 

Please, somebody on this board convince me that I am "negative" and that there is no issue with this going public. 

What about it bothers you so much? the production quality? the plot line? do you think this is going to be used as bulletin board material? Are you worried that we blew our cover, and now teams know we have a great running back?! Ooops!
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:46 am »

looks cool
Report Spam   Logged
toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:08 am »

Not sure why people dislike this type of coverage.  AT LEAST IT IS SOMETHING!  Obviously, the BOT, Admin and our Alum are not dropping $$ to market athletics or continue to build our programs, so we have to do with what we have to market the university. 

It is 2017 folks, not 1984.  Wake-up.  Applaud the young man.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 09:58:54 am »

Frankly, I'm more concerned that his leg is OK.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:00 am »

It reads "Episode 1." Should we expect more?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:11 am »

It reads "Episode 1." Should we expect more?
Not sure but they are promoting it.  Found this which gives a schedule that some posters can put in their calendar so they can get to work now on posts ripping the administration, coaches, players, etc.  It's clear there's no need to view or read the content before claiming something was the dumbest idea ever so they can all get a jump on it now and have it queued up:

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/9/12/football-first-episode-of-chasing-greatness-live.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:29 am »

Well, if Fordham isn't producing it, the can't be ripped for it, which I wasn't about to do.  If they aren't producing it, who is?  Interns... a video production class?  I'm not getting the point of it.  It's nice enough, not particularly compelling.  What's the goal of taking the time to produce what looks to be several episodes?
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 11:42:19 am »

I would hazard a guess that the players think this is pretty cool.
Report Spam   Logged
toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »

As you can see from the introductory credits, it is a combination of a couple freelance folks and Joe DiBari/interns.  You actually see JD within the first shot.

It will be more interesting to view, as the season progresses, insight into the postgame results, managing academics, and rebounding from an injury etc.  Also, I guarantee you that meeting when he turned off the mic was with an NFL scout or team representative, which was an interesting piece.

You would think this might have been pitched to SNY or MSG so they could produce or broadcast, much like the PJ Fleck Show, Notre Dame, UCONN etc.  they all have them as part of their marketing strategy. 

At the very least, could we structure a deal digitally with those companies and have them host it on their sites??? 
Report Spam   Logged
toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »

by the way, those football offices are still locked into 1980's. 

Larry Glueck called, he wants his office back.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »

by the way, those football offices are still locked into 1980's. 

Larry Glueck called, he wants his office back.

When I was there, one of those offices used to be Murph's office when he was the strength and conditioning coach and also did things for intramurals. I think the other was the intramurals office.

I would say it is unbelievable, but it is very believable unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

What about it bothers you so much? the production quality? the plot line? do you think this is going to be used as bulletin board material? Are you worried that we blew our cover, and now teams know we have a great running back?! Ooops!

Let's say that we all (99.9%) agree that this "documentary" is a good thing.....Then why didn't it come out the week of or week before the West Point game?  Why now?  What makes it even more embarrassing is the fact that It comes out the day that it is publicly acknowledged that Chase is severely injured and most likely won't play for a few weeks and may not ever be the same as he was in the past.  The whole thing screams amateur-hour.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:32:09 pm »

Let's say that we all (99.9%) agree that this "documentary" is a good thing.....Then why didn't it come out the week of or week before the West Point game?  Why now?  What makes it even more embarrassing is the fact that It comes out the day that it is publicly acknowledged that Chase is severely injured and most likely won't play for a few weeks and may not ever be the same as he was in the past.  The whole thing screams amateur-hour.

This is the second time you've said "he may never be the same." Why are you saying that? Do you know something we don't? RBs get ankle sprains, they miss time, and they come back. Unless its something much more serious, there's no reason to believe he wont be the same once he's healed. If he tries to come back too early, or play hurt, he obviously wont be 100% but that's a far cry from "may never be the same."

Are you just being a sensationalist? I'm asking in all seriousness. What's up?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:02 pm »

I hate to break this to some but no one on this board is the target market for this communication.

The target market are high school prospects, in their junior and sophomore seasons.

This style totally mimics the current style of reality, behind the scenes productions that players eat up.  Think of the wildly successful HBO Hard Knocks series and the surprise Netflix hit “Last Chance U.” Even niche entities like USA Football produced a popular season long series behind the scenes at Long Beach Pol HS.   Trust me, it’s everywhere. Kids and player parents can’t get enough of it.

For example…. The Fort Worth Star Telegram produced a season long series following a perennial state champ, Aledo HS.  For them it engaged younger viewers with an old, and largely irrelevant,  newspaper brand.

For those on the board saying it was less than ‘interesting’ … usually the interesting stuff is the conflict, drama, foul language and coaches losing their minds in anger.  No place for that in this initiative.

I bet if they had a creative brief the objective was “Give us a video we can distribute to the widest set of prospects possible” 
The goal of the video/series is “make Fordham look like a place you can see yourself playing at.”

My son got these from schools coast to coast.  It was the easiest way to get a sense of whether he wanted to even visit.  There were several that went from ‘not on my list’ to ‘yeah, I’d like visit.’   I asked him to react to it.  He said ... "cool"

The elements this Fordham video smartly featured included…
-They made Coffey look big by shooting the tall rear of the stands, shooting the field from the visitor side.
-The training facilities were well branded and looked normal
-guys having more fun than bustin’ their ass
-piles of food that seemed enjoyable
-a young coach giving positive presentation …. Better than a b buster
-the campus looked attractive
-the team chemistry looked great

It pays off in other ways…. like offering nice reward to Chase for all he’s given, and his loyalty.  The other guys love seeing themselves in these things.  This is the first generation that values 'fame' more than they value 'being rich'   They'll be stoked by this series.

I found it a healthy break from the ancient photos of past greatness. I has happy not to listen to an out of key version of our fight song that pops up in many of our videos. 

* No nostalgia
* No resemblance to out of date icons
* No straw hats, cheerleaders outfits designed by nuns, elderly fans, polite crowds

The worst part was that the team meeting had to be in an old Keating classroom. I took Business Planning in that theater style room 30 years ago  Shocked

Welcome to 2017 ... good to see Fordham playing to the present rather than the past. 

Vince Lombardi would approve if it helped attract players  Wink

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:03:29 pm by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 12:01:26 am »

I agree with Scott.  I think this was well done, considering its purpose.  Yes, it was boring to me, but the general feeling I had after watching it is that Chase is mostly "keeping it real" at Fordham, that it's an unpretentious place.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:38 am »

If Ram-Louse thinks it's stupid, it must be okay. If you look up "negative" in the dictionary, you'll see his picture there, as the perfect illustration.

Clueless!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: