fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2017, 03:11:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"

Poll
Question: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Absolutely, he should be on the hot seat now - 34 (44.2%)
Yes, if we lose next week - 5 (6.5%)
Let's give it a few more games - 5 (6.5%)
Wait til the end of the year - 24 (31.2%)
No - 9 (11.7%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"  (Read 8698 times)
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:05:37 pm »

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »

No, but you and HKRam should be. Have either one of you two geniuses attended a single practice or spoken to the coaches since the season began?
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:53 pm »

No.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:45:16 pm »

Fucop

Why would you name call or personally insult anyone? I've not done that to you nor AOC. We are discussing whether AB should stay or go. Please stay on topic.

Breiner is a weak coach right now, and I think most on this board would agree that he should not have been hired in the first place. He has set the program back 5 years, and appears to have lost his players at this point. It would not come as a shock to see some of the best recruits leave.

Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:26:38 pm »

Fucop

Why would you name call or personally insult anyone? I've not done that to you nor AOC. We are discussing whether AB should stay or go. Please stay on topic.

That discussion now is absurd. We are only 4 games into the season, we have not played a single league game, and Breiner is not going anywhere. If you want to have this discussion after the season, and if his record warrants it, then fine.

Breiner is a weak coach right now, and I think most on this board would agree that he should not have been hired in the first place. He has set the program back 5 years, and appears to have lost his players at this point. It would not come as a shock to see some of the best recruits leave.

You continue to state your opinions as facts. Where were you last season when Breiner's record was 8-3? If you want to speak for yourself, fine, but do not presume to speak for most on these boards. Are you aware that the best recruit we have had in the FCS era was recruited by Breiner? I didn't think so. Read the Daily News article to see what Chase thinks of Breiner.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:20:34 am »

No, but you and HKRam should be. Have either one of you two geniuses attended a single practice or spoken to the coaches since the season began?

What does going to a practice or speaking to a coach have to do with anything? Coaches are judged on wins and losses on Saturday plain and simple. In sure the coaches are nice guys so why would "talking to them" make a difference about Saturday's results. Going to practice? Last I checked coaches nobody is keeping score at practice , so again why does anything you say make sense.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:06:46 am »

You are on the hot seat the day that you are hired.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:09 am »

Fucop

I've been around football a long time.  Mostly good programs; one or two stinkers. There isn't a lot I haven't seen from high school to D-III to the high levels of what is now FBS.  

This team is taking a step back from the Moorhead years.  That was to be expected. Could not have been avoided, IMO. Go look up what happened to the Packers the years after Lombardi retired or Alabama after The Bear.  It's always tough to be the guy who follows the guy.  Moorhead was truly The Guy.  He's also being hit with Fordham no longer being the only scholarship program in the PL, his star player being hurt and the fact that even under JM, there was a lack of focus on the defensive side of the ball.  And oh ya, I can't imagine how they thought hiring a guy with a couple of years as an assistant was a good idea.

I honestly don't see what campaigning to get AB bounced is going to do for the program.  We haven't played a PL game yet.  To say he lost the program is absurd.  You have no idea.  They scored 40 points last week.  When guys quit playing you'll know.  They won't be scoring 40.  And if you are successful in getting AB fired, how can you have any confidence the people who hired him will get it right this time?  This is Fordham. We don't know for sure who really runs the athletic program.  Does anyone know if AB has a contract for next year?

This is all going to play out in the next 2 months.  If he goes or stays will not be affected by this board.  The administration is immune to pressure.  There are no big donors to placate.  The only thing this will do is distract the team which I'm sure right now feels like crap and the rumors must be flying.  Not a good way to start a new practice week.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:40 am »

You are on the hot seat the day that you are hired.

+1. That's the fact of it all.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:29 am »

I think you have to anticipate so things do not hit the nadir, which seems to happen a lot at Fordham. However, this is not Pecora or Hill or DW. Not a crazy big mouth making absurd statements. Nice young guy, got a chance he probably never should have gotten and its starting to backfire. If it continues, I expect to see a change. Hopefully, he rights the ship. But you cant let it slide back too far.

Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:26:09 am »

I think it's too soon to make a move on AB. Fordham is a tough place to win consistently. I like to think of Fordham as like an Iowa, TCU, Washington state kind of program atva smaller scale.

Meaning that the Facilities are not up to par with others in the league, the academic reputation is not the same as other in the league so year in and year out it's a grind to remain competitive. However if you can get some skill and some toughness , along with a good coach like clawson and JM who can get the most out of it , you have a chance to compete every few years. Especially now that the field is level with scholarships for all, it's tough to bank 9-10 wins every year but we can't fall back to 1-11 like we have in the past
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:09 am »

Perhaps Ram-Spouse should define "hot seat".  There are different ideas being thrown around here, that to me are more than just being on the "hot seat". Heck, in one reply AOC replies "no" and in another he gives a +1 to 85 who said you are on the hot seat the day you are hired. There is also discussion of a campaign and making a move, which to me is beyond the idea of being on the hot seat.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:50 am »

I think it's too soon to make a move on AB. Fordham is a tough place to win consistently. I like to think of Fordham as like an Iowa, TCU, Washington state kind of program atva smaller scale.

Meaning that the Facilities are not up to par with others in the league, the academic reputation is not the same as other in the league so year in and year out it's a grind to remain competitive. However if you can get some skill and some toughness , along with a good coach like clawson and JM who can get the most out of it , you have a chance to compete every few years. Especially now that the field is level with scholarships for all, it's tough to bank 9-10 wins every year but we can't fall back to 1-11 like we have in the past

They hired a 31 y/o with limited experience.That makes for a shorter leash in my view. I think if we hit 2-9; 3-8 he is history.  Sorry AB, but's the way it is.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56:08 am »

Perhaps Ram-Spouse should define "hot seat".  There are different ideas being thrown around here, that to me are more than just being on the "hot seat". Heck, in one reply AOC replies "no" and in another he gives a +1 to 85 who said you are on the hot seat the day you are hired. There is also discussion of a campaign and making a move, which to me is beyond the idea of being on the hot seat.

Agreed.  "Hot seat" connotes different things. The topic of this string and how 85 said it are two different things.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:36 am »

Hot seat that this thread connotes is should he be worried about his job right now, due to the performance. I say yes, if this tanks to 3-8, I think he gets fired. It was a very risky if not flat out stupid hire, but more importantly, no process,little to no vetting, a knee jerk......typical old Fordham thinking...
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:17:57 am »

For me this depends on one thing. Are the breakdowns on defense and special team due to Coaching or lack of talent. The offense has been fine and clearly Breiner feels more comfortable with that side of the ball.

On Defense, the performance so far has not been acceptable. I have no where near the football accumen to determine if that is due to Coaching, lack of talent, or a combo of both. Breiner hired this DC so if it coaching then it is on him. I have a hard time blaming him for lack of talent as he has only had two recruiting classes and the upperclassmen belong to Joe M.

Overall there are other signs that point to a lack of organization and preparation that are very concerning. He gets more time but he has not helped himself thus far.

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Man
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:53:10 am »

Does anyone know Coach Breiner's contract status.  I was told at the EWU game that he has a year-to-year contract.  Is that true, that would be good information for this pole.  If it is true, then he already is on the hot seat

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:11 am »

Unless there are reasons other than Wins and Losses, I don't think this conversation is appropriate until after the season. We haven't played a league game yet, and we need to see how that plays out. I don't buy any of the "he lost his players BS" unless someone can back that up with facts.

HKRam... you're under attack because you're like a vulture. You're not very active and then when we hit a bump In the road against Army you showed up calling coach weak and saying we'd be lucky to win 3 games this year. Appears that you have an axe to grind.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:36 am »

Unless there are reasons other than Wins and Losses, I don't think this conversation is appropriate until after the season. We haven't played a league game yet, and we need to see how that plays out. I don't buy any of the "he lost his players BS" unless someone can back that up with facts.

HKRam... you're under attack because you're like a vulture. You're not very active and then when we hit a bump In the road against Army you showed up calling coach weak and saying we'd be lucky to win 3 games this year. Appears that you have an axe to grind.

So what is the purpose of this site.  Pat each other on the back, converse about what a great facility JCF is and complement the Coach on that great play call on 3rd and 9 in the 2nd Quarter of the game against EWU?
Report Spam   Logged
Free the F 4
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 10:40:17 am »

Until I saw for myself this weekend I would have considered any talk of dismissing AB premature.  This game against Bryant was appalling.  Saw the first half on the Fordham side, up close and personal.  No life on the bench, it appears that the strength and conditioning progress we made in recent years has lagged, a whole lot of pudgy middles and not just the pug uglies. Team is soft, defense is weak and the schemes are embarrassingly easy to fool.  LB's are the worst I can remember.  Spoke with several parents and alums at half time who stated the kids have tuned AB out.  Offense never gave up, commendable effort but the were betrayed constantly by the D.  P#ss poor tackling throughout the second half, way out of position and out hustled on the end around that Bryant took to the house.  Really disappointed.  If the Defense doesn't adjust, Peter Pujals of HC is going to be able to name his own score.  I think a shakeup is called for before league play, at the very least put the DC from Bucknell on notice....one and done if this keeps up.  Props to Kevin A, Cory C, and Zac D, but not many others.  My two cents and that's what its worth!
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:13 am »

So what is the purpose of this site.  Pat each other on the back, converse about what a great facility JCF is and complement the Coach on that great play call on 3rd and 9 in the 2nd Quarter of the game against EWU?

Like the Seinfeld episode, it's about nothing really.  Just an excuse to waste lots of time we could be spending on something more productive.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:02 am »

Do I need to agree with everything you're saying, because you're saying it? Take alook around, there's countless threads and conversations going on. I don't think its appropriate to talk about firing a coach before we know his final record, let alone entered league play. What was Masella's record his first year before winning the PL Title? 2-9? Are we going to fire every coach that has a losing record during a season? He was 8-3 last year. This is a premature discussion, imo.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:17 am »

Until I saw for myself this weekend I would have considered any talk of dismissing AB premature.  This game against Bryant was appalling.  Saw the first half on the Fordham side, up close and personal.  No life on the bench, it appears that the strength and conditioning progress we made in recent years has lagged, a whole lot of pudgy middles and not just the pug uglies. Team is soft, defense is weak and the schemes are embarrassingly easy to fool.  LB's are the worst I can remember.  Spoke with several parents and alums at half time who stated the kids have tuned AB out.  Offense never gave up, commendable effort but the were betrayed constantly by the D.  P#ss poor tackling throughout the second half, way out of position and out hustled on the end around that Bryant took to the house.  Really disappointed.  If the Defense doesn't adjust, Peter Pujals of HC is going to be able to name his own score.  I think a shakeup is called for before league play, at the very least put the DC from Bucknell on notice....one and done if this keeps up.  Props to Kevin A, Cory C, and Zac D, but not many others.  My two cents and that's what its worth!

Pretty much saw the same, plus Roach, Ellwood, and Gray (none looking happy, as could be expected) on the sidelines away from the team (Jeff, BTW looks like he has been frequenting the buffet table . . .).

I will say this: Bryant looked like a pretty good football team. They certainly know how to move the ball.  They play UNH Saturday, should be an interesting result. I think UNH is less formidable than in the past.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:48 am »

Serious Question for you... did the parents mention why they're tuning him out? He's not an outsider, many of these guys have known him for 4+ years. They won with him as an assistant coach and last year as a HC. What's the deal?

As a player I never bought into this type of crap. To me, that's more of an issue with the players than the coach. unless there is something more to it... sounds like we have some quitters on the squad.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:32:25 am »

Serious Question for you... did the parents mention why they're tuning him out? He's not an outsider, many of these guys have known him for 4+ years. They won with him as an assistant coach and last year as a HC. What's the deal?

As a player I never bought into this type of crap. To me, that's more of an issue with the players than the coach. unless there is something more to it... sounds like we have some quitters on the squad.

Pure speculation here . . . I think if this is happening, it is due to losing (and I know there's a chicken/egg thing there) and style contrast from JM to AB. From what I understand, JM could be loud and talk up a storm, but he was the calm in the storm on the sidelines, especially when things were going sideways. In honesty I haven't seen the team close up except for the Bryant game, but when I saw AB pay attention to the players, it was pretty strident, quick bursts of exhortation, and walk away.

When he was the OC, he had one thing to concentrate on, and with that he had the brains behind it right there to back him up. Now he's got three phases to worry about, new staff on the D side, a serious injury situation, the focus on him.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is fraying a little and maybe the team is picking up on it.

When this type of thing is going on, I think it's less about X's and O's and mostly about leadership. That is usually a combination of getting people to do what they don't want to do, or showing them how to do what they do want to do.  AB may be a great HC on day. Right now we're seeing him on the learning curve.

p.s.  I didn't realize this, but it looks like aside from the HC, 9 out of a staff of 14 are new to the program this year.  So that adds to the HC's issues somewhat.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 11:46:09 am »

Fucop

Breiner was given the keys to a Ferrari, and has promptly driven it into a ditch.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 12:01:03 pm »

Do I need to agree with everything you're saying, because you're saying it? Take alook around, there's countless threads and conversations going on. I don't think its appropriate to talk about firing a coach before we know his final record, let alone entered league play. What was Masella's record his first year before winning the PL Title? 2-9? Are we going to fire every coach that has a losing record during a season? He was 8-3 last year. This is a premature discussion, imo.

where in this thread have I said anything about firing Coach Breiner?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:19:47 pm »

Breiner was given the keys to a Ferrari, and has promptly driven it into a ditch.

If the program is a Ferrari, he should have gotten the Car Fax to go with it.  There were a couple of underlying issues that are pretty obvious if you look underneath the hood.  He inherited far from a perfectly humming machine.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »

where in this thread have I said anything about firing Coach Breiner?

What do you mean by "hot seat" then?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:16 pm »

What do you mean by "hot seat" then?

Maybe he's thinking of the heated seats in the luxurious cargo truck he insists that Fordham football needs in order to be "big time".

Oh yeah, I just went there.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: