fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2017, 02:58:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"

Poll
Question: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Absolutely, he should be on the hot seat now - 34 (44.2%)
Yes, if we lose next week - 5 (6.5%)
Let's give it a few more games - 5 (6.5%)
Wait til the end of the year - 24 (31.2%)
No - 9 (11.7%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"  (Read 8697 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »

The hottest seat in NYC is in the stands at JCF. A few steps away on Constitution Row is at least 20 degrees cooler. 

I'm not a fan of the circular firing squad, His record will speak for itself.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
fred
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 03:50:33 pm »

Like the Seinfeld episode, it's about nothing really.  Just an excuse to waste lots of time we could be spending on something more productive.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »

Breiner was given the keys to a Ferrari, and has promptly driven it into a ditch.

Promptly? He was 8-3 last season. You pathetic Debbie Downers are off the rails. Your definition of promptly and mine are vastly different. As for "[getting] the keys to a Ferrari," see Coach's post above.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 04:17:37 pm »

where in this thread have I said anything about firing Coach Breiner?

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Alum 07
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:07 pm »

Promptly? He was 8-3 last season. You pathetic Debbie Downers are off the rails. Your definition of promptly and mine are vastly different. As for "[getting] the keys to a Ferrari," see Coach's post above.

We should have been better last year.  The Lehigh loss in particular was embarrassing...  I think Patriot League play will be telling.  If the wheels fall off, then he should be gone.  There is definitely potential for a Foley 2.0 here.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 04:55:53 pm »

He is simply not ready for this role, and it's not working out.

Let's actually begin that national search since he is year to year.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:13 pm »

What do you mean by "hot seat" then?

No contract extension, fire the defensive coordinator after next game, have a sit down with Roach and have there be specific measurements.....ie. penalty improvement, turnovers lower, special teams improve.....I can give you 10 others. 

Yes the hot seat means that we are watching and lack of improvement will lead to termination....
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »

Roll Eyes

thanks for the non answer.....I never said fired in this thread.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »

We should have been better last year.  The Lehigh loss in particular was embarrassing...  I think Patriot League play will be telling.  If the wheels fall off, then he should be gone.  There is definitely potential for a Foley 2.0 here.

The Lehigh loss was a disaster last year.
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:05 pm »

The Lehigh loss was a disaster last year.
Plus the 2nd half lead we lost in the Monmouth game.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »

I was at that Lehigh game last year.  It was awful.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:33 pm »

No contract extension, fire the defensive coordinator after next game, have a sit down with Roach and have there be specific measurements.....ie. penalty improvement, turnovers lower, special teams improve.....I can give you 10 others. 

Yes the hot seat means that we are watching and lack of improvement will lead to termination....

Umm no.  That will solve nothing. Who would you like to see as DC in the middle of the season?  Matt Patricia has a job.  How many penalties are acceptable...turnovers?   AB has his program in place. He lives or dies with it.  There's nothing Roach can do at this point to improve the situation.   iBook idea to break the guys balls during the season. That will no doubt help.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:28 pm »

Umm no.  That will solve nothing. Who would you like to see as DC in the middle of the season?  Matt Patricia has a job.  AB has his program in place. He lives or dies with it. 

So losing 55-45 to Sagarin rated teams ranked in the 200's is acceptable and no responses need to be taken for this ineptitude?  I know that I am comparing apples and oranges but the Bengals fired their Off. Coord after 2 games.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »

So losing 55-45 to Sagarin rated teams ranked in the 200's is acceptable and no responses need to be taken for this ineptitude?  I know that I am comparing apples and oranges but the Bengals fired their Off. Coord after 2 games.

It's ill be addressed at the end of the season.   That's what happens.  Maybe just fire AB and bring in a replacement next week.  Maybe call Dave Rice down in Marco Island and see if he wants to finish the season.

The Bengals are the NFL!!!     Do you think an assistant coach will come in and rescue the defense?  You're not being rational. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:09 pm »

It's ill be addressed at the end of the season.   That's what happens.  Maybe just fire AB and bring in a replacement next week.  Maybe call Dave Rice down in Marco Island and see if he wants to finish the season.

The Bengals are the NFL!!!     Do you think an assistant coach will come in and rescue the defense?  You're not being rational. 

AOC, I know the Bengals are in the NFL, but something needs to be shaken up.....We saw those defensive point statistics on the other thread......Would bringing in AD Emeritus Frank McLaughlin after the 5th game to be the Defensive Coordinator be any worse?  Would teams score 70 instead of 50?

This is a joke and exactly why we have this HOT SEAT thread.  Too many Rose Colored Glasses people walking around like Zombies driving the Rambacker Clown Car.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:34 am »

AOC, I know the Bengals are in the NFL, but something needs to be shaken up.....We saw those defensive point statistics on the other thread......Would bringing in AD Emeritus Frank McLaughlin after the 5th game to be the Defensive Coordinator be any worse?  Would teams score 70 instead of 50?

This is a joke and exactly why we have this HOT SEAT thread.  Too many Rose Colored Glasses people walking around like Zombies driving the Rambacker Clown Car.

No. That's just your cute little phrase for anyone who doesn't agree with your doomsday scenario. In fact, we are rational people who are willing to let the season play out before blowing everything up, unlike your little lynch mob here who seem to think that you can bring in new people in the middle of the season and turn things around on a dime. If this program is in fact the dumpster fire that you claim it is, who is going to want to come here right now in the midst of this breakdown, as you have described it. Your little band claims that Breiner has lost the team, that morale is low. What effect do you think these threads are having on team morale?
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 05:59:20 am »

Of course the coach is on the hot seat given this slide, but in reality, the real heat should be focused on Roach right now, not on this young coach.

On the heels of several playoff appearances and top 25 rankings, the AD decided not to do any search whatsoever and simply hand over the reigns to a 31 y/o guy with extremely light credentials. This one is on the AD. 

There was very little if any discussion here at the time of the hire. Anyone have more info on how it went down? Was this a power play, like Breiner would leave and go with Moorehead?  I cant imagine that this was approved so quickly up the line.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:47:39 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:43 am »

Frank?  Are you drunk?

Please explain to me what a new DC would do.  Would he bring in his own play book and start over?  Would he change the techniques that the team was working with for two months?  Change the drills the team uses in preparation every week?  I don't get what you'd want a new coach to bring in two months into the season.  Or you could keep everything the same and just have a new face as DC.  What would that accomplish?  And who would be the DC, a young coach who's never had the responsibility before?  Don't we already have that?

We haven't played a league game yet. We're going to have to get better but fortunately the PL looks very weak this year.  The coaches and players have to do a better job.  We can still make some noise.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 08:27:13 am »

Of course the coach is on the hot seat given this slide, but in reality, the real heat should be focused on Roach right now, not on this young coach.

On the heels of several playoff appearances and top 25 rankings, the AD decided not to do any search whatsoever and simply hand over the reigns to a 31 y/o guy with extremely light credentials. This one is on the AD. 

There was very little if any discussion here at the time of the hire. Anyone have more info on how it went down? Was this a power play, like Breiner would leave and go with Moorehead?  I cant imagine that this was approved so quickly up the line.

And the AD must have known that JM was going to leave for at least a year, just not when. He was a hot commodity, he wasn't staying on RH for the rest of his career. It couldn't have been a surprise. AD's keep a list of possible replacements and coaches to keep their eyes on. Was AB always the plan?

You're right. It would be interesting to know what actually happened.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:45 am »

Frank?  Are you drunk?

Please explain to me what a new DC would do.  Would he bring in his own play book and start over?  Would he change the techniques that the team was working with for two months?  Change the drills the team uses in preparation every week?  I don't get what you'd want a new coach to bring in two months into the season.  Or you could keep everything the same and just have a new face as DC.  What would that accomplish?  And who would be the DC, a young coach who's never had the responsibility before?  Don't we already have that?

We haven't played a league game yet. We're going to have to get better but fortunately the PL looks very weak this year.  The coaches and players have to do a better job.  We can still make some noise.

That was a joke about Frank.  Yes, I agree with everything that you said.....

The problem is that we are now a lower to bottom tier PL team.  The statistics and rankings prove that. 

Yes, this is why there is a "hot seat" thread.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:19 am »

That was a joke about Frank.  Yes, I agree with everything that you said.....

The problem is that we are now a lower to bottom tier PL team.  The statistics and rankings prove that. 

Yes, this is why there is a "hot seat" thread.

Do you think AB doesn't know that?

I don't understand what firing the DC and Roach sitting him down for some meeting
will do except add distractions.   
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:58 am »

+1.  Good process tends to produce good results.  Bad process, and especially no process, tends to produce bad results. 

It's tempting to just make a quick decision and be done with the matter, but then you end up owning the accountability for the results in a more personal way than you otherwise would.

I agree though there is no need to sit the coach down for a meeting to convey the importance of the matter.  That would be a distraction and the worst kind of micromanagement.  If anything would make it harder for Roach to hold the coach accountable at the end of the season since the coach could then say he was just following Roach's advice.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:27 am »

I have not been to a single game or even watched a game online... Thankfully.  With that being said I am disappointed that we are 1-3, where I predicted us to be 2-2, but at least be more competitive in the Army and EWU games and not have to struggle with our lone win at CCSU.  Based on the common comments on this board such as abundance of bad penalties, team looking disorganized and unprepared, defense and special teams fiascoes there are some red flags for concern.  The lone bright spot is decent offensive production especially without Chase.  I am guessing that is an accurate summary, excuse me if it is not.
...But there is no need for any firings.  Let the season play out and go from there.  

As for a hot seat, I think every coach knows they have to win or they are in jeopardy of losing their job. Some coaches may feel they have more leverage or almost feel they have tenure, but that lies on the coach.  If a coach is honest with themselves, they realize their status of being on the hotseat is based on their performance.  It's the Athletic Director's job to have a system in place and that grades the coaches performance so coaches are aware of their status (or level of seat heat) from year to year, much like a report card.  

One could debate the variables such as (win loss %, strength of schedule, graduation rate, disciplinary issues, expenses, resources relative to competition, assistant coaches performance, game day coaching, conditioning, etc.)  But the bottom line is the AD should address any lapses during the season and see what they can do to help.  The AD should try to do anything to put the coach in a situation to be successful.  Once the year concludes the report card is issued with specific goals and suggestions to improve ares of poor performance.  If it is time to make a decision, the sooner the better to allow for more time for the search.  
Plan B: an AD should always have a watch list of coaches they may consider should a coach leave or a coach is truly on the hot seat.  The list should be realistic candidates that would seriously consider the possible opening.

Moorhead: If Roach did not knew Moorhead was not going to leave, that is Frank level thinking.  I think Moorhead made it clear that we wanted facility upgrades (he told me himself) and even if major upgrades were implemented he was still going to pursue his goal of being a FBS coach.  Virtually every coach has the same goal so that is not a surprise to any AD.  Ex. Look at Clawson, he has I believe at 5 year deal at $2.3 mil.  He could be a complete failure at Wake and he banks over $11 mil, cha ching - set for life.  He basically crossed the coaching finish line (in terms of coin) and is in the bonus round for as long as he can make a run at it.
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm

AB: My GUESS is Moorhead gave AB a ringing endorsement and Roach took the bait and and went with the "continuity protege" rationale for the hire.  This type of stuff is not uncommon as it happens in other industries as well.  I just think when you have situations like this and ven more so when it appears a coaching search did not occur it is only fair that the immediate leash is shorter.  After all the candidate (AB) really did not have any competition and was handed the job.  I think that is only fair and I hope he realizes this.  I think Foley is a fair analogy.  IF AB does fail miserably )hope not), than Roach did not do his due diligence and at least interview other candidates (regardless of a ringing endorsement from Moorhead). Did he not compare his short list of potential coaches with AB?  Not sure, only Roach knows that answer.  But if he did not shame on him.

With that being said, I truly hope AB can figure this out and get things moving. Regardless of what happens this team still has a chance to win the PL title.  The PL is looking weaker than expected so although I still believe Holy Cross and Colgate are the top teams Fordham could beat them if they play defense, have decent special teams and play a complete game.  My worry is that we have not shown an ability to do so. Lets get going and beat Yale!

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:17 pm »

Good post, Chaka
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 09:10:16 am »

Let's actually begin that national search since he is year to year.

What do you mean by this comment? Expand on that please.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:00 am »

Good post, Chaka

Thanks PA Ram
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:53 am »

What do you mean by this comment? Expand on that please.

He must mean let's trash the season and disembowel the program.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:43 am »

He must mean let's trash the season and disembowel the program.

No. That's just your cute little phrase for anyone who doesn't agree with your doomsday scenario. In fact, we are rational people who are willing to let the season play out before blowing everything up, unlike your little lynch mob here who seem to think that you can bring in new people in the middle of the season and turn things around on a dime. If this program is in fact the dumpster fire that you claim it is, who is going to want to come here right now in the midst of this breakdown, as you have described it. Your little band claims that Breiner has lost the team, that morale is low. What effect do you think these threads are having on team morale?

Makes it difficult to have any enjoyment during the season doent't it?  Tough season we are not happy to begin with, giving honest criticism, but there are still games to play yet people just pile on every day making it even worse.  I agree it sucks and is counterproductive. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:46 am »

Yes, the season has started out as a dumpster fire. Yes, it can be salvaged.

However, there is no point in this feckless administration to sit on their hands waiting for AB to fail further and then try to do another "national search". Start exploring options now.

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2017, 11:46:01 am »

Yes, the season has started out as a dumpster fire. Yes, it can be salvaged.

However, there is no point in this feckless administration to sit on their hands waiting for AB to fail further and then try to do another "national search". Start exploring options now.

To launch a national search at this point in the season would completely undermine the coach, team morale, and recruiting.  The option that Fordham needs to explore now is to let the season play out and encourage everyone to root for the team.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: