fordhamfans.com
November 24, 2017, 05:22:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"

Poll
Question: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Absolutely, he should be on the hot seat now - 38 (45.8%)
Yes, if we lose next week - 5 (6%)
Let's give it a few more games - 5 (6%)
Wait til the end of the year - 26 (31.3%)
No - 9 (10.8%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"  (Read 12466 times)
Ramrookie21
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 04, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »

I certainly understand dealing with injuries and that injuries to key  players hurt the O and the D but I would of expected the HC to be able to make adjustments and be competitive. We have been competitive against poor offensive teams (Georgetown, Lafayette and Lehigh) but have looked awful against any quality programs. AB was given an experienced top 25 team with a very strong coaching staff and in a year you lose 9 coaches and have injuries to a lot of key players? At the end of the day the HC is responsible for the strength and conditioning program, the hiring of additional coaches and the resulting poor play of a talented team. It is not like this team is a rebuild or is having to play a lot of freshmen. The question that needs to be asked is why did this team underperform this year with so much returning talent?
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:34 pm »

I certainly understand dealing with injuries and that injuries to key  players hurt the O and the D but I would of expected the HC to be able to make adjustments and be competitive. We have been competitive against poor offensive teams (Georgetown, Lafayette and Lehigh) but have looked awful against any quality programs. AB was given an experienced top 25 team with a very strong coaching staff and in a year you lose 9 coaches and have injuries to a lot of key players? At the end of the day the HC is responsible for the strength and conditioning program, the hiring of additional coaches and the resulting poor play of a talented team. It is not like this team is a rebuild or is having to play a lot of freshmen. The question that needs to be asked is why did this team underperform this year with so much returning talent?

i don't completely disagree that this lies largely upon the coaching staff.

but you submit this isn't a rebuilding year, yet we have 9 new coaches (your assertion, have not checked this) a slew of injuries and are playing a lot of underclassmen. doesn't it at some point, maybe not day 1, become a rebuilding year?

still no real excuse imo to go from 8-3 to 3-??? this season may rank as fordham's most disappointing in the modern era.
Report Spam   Logged
Rob Smith
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 04, 2017, 08:56:25 pm »

yet we have 9 new coaches (your assertion, have not checked this)

Assuming this is true (haven’t checked the math either) it might be the most damning aspect of AB’s tenure. All coaching staffs have turnover but that amount is unheard of.  According to the team roster we have 16 coaches including S&C.  I know if my work group had a similar amount of turnover in the same window of time my bosses would likely make me #10.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramrookie21
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 04, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »

I am sure about the changes to the coaching staff as that has been reported by many other posters. Barboza, Galt, Guynes, Bowes, Orlovsky, Jackson, Ostrow, Smith and Pribble are all new staff additions this year. Perkins was added in August of 2016. My earlier point about AB was that he was given an experienced, talented football team. Only had one opening on the O line with everyone else returning. A few freshmen have played due to injuries (Davis) or just being better (Carter, Cunningham) but this is a veteran team that has under performed. HC is responsible for HIS coaching staff, his strength and conditioning off season program, as well as the play calling AND defensive schemes. I understand injuries but find it a bit odd that Anderson and Chase got hurt this year (as seniors) when they played virtually every game throughout their Fordham careers. Being a HC requires attention to detail and the small stuff (poor game starts and penalties) as well as the play calling and defensive schemes. It appears more and more that AB is not ready to be a head coach, not saying he won’t be a really good future HC but not now.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 04, 2017, 11:15:33 pm »

Any chance al bagnoli comes uptown ?
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2017, 09:08:34 am »

Regarding Bagnoli, when Columbia decided they were going to try to end the debacle, they went out and hired an AD who was in charge of an excellent athletic program;Peter Pilling from Villanova. THey put their money
where their mouth was. He in turn, tried to lure Bagnoli out of a position he was not thrilled with. Bagnoli
told the Admin what he needed in financial terms to recruit,bring in coaches, facilities,etc and basically said,"This is what we need to get program stabilized, give it to me, I'm onboard, if not , we are spinning our wheels." They complied. Also got a nice facility to train because Bill Campbell is a great guy who wanted to make a contribution and did it. THey also got a bubble to train outside in winter. So overall it took a lot of investment and buying in. There are some great coaches out there, Rams can be excellent in the FCS, believe need right people at top. HAve to make that financial commitment. Seen the facilities argument frequently on board, but again Rams have been able to hit top ten recently , high as 6 with excellent talent and coaching.The right staff and NYC can be a big draw if coordinated properly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:27:27 am by dajr » Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:21 am »

dajr, Fordham mailed in this hire. Period. The principles that have made us a pretty good department since Roach got here were abandoned.  Get back to fundamentals, do a real coaching search with the proper people doing the vetting. And never take the quick, easy lazy route again. There is work to be done to get back up to speed, but right coach can do it quickly in my view. These guys in the admin. need to get to work.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2017, 12:07:43 pm »

When I return home to London, also where no one has heard of Fordham....

Once again, a troll and an uninformed one at that.  My biggest client in London has heard of Fordham.  Just knew that it's a Catholic school in NY, doesn't have the same cache as BC or GT, but he's heard of it.

I don't know who you hang out with, but they don't seem to be a very informed bunch.  Perhaps you need to expand your circle a bit?  Also, perhaps you can talk about Fordham a little bit to educate them on Fordham?  Hint: A school shouldn't be defined by its sports programs, so there's no need to lead with the subject.

I should add one thing:  If you act out in the real world like you do here, it might be better to not tell people that you went to Fordham.  That's assuming you actually went to Fordham.  Did you?
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 05, 2017, 12:44:20 pm »

DamnRam, Are you really this much of a self righteous and dopey puss in real life? I think the coach should be tossed out on his ass because he completely sucks, and somehow you equate this to my career and how I do not represent Fordham well. You don't like what I have to say, but I guarantee that it's far more valid than your connecting point A with point 15 you incongruent fool. Did you go to law school with Fucop?
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:30 pm »

DamnRam, Are you really this much of a self righteous and dopey puss in real life? I think the coach should be tossed out on his ass because he completely sucks, and somehow you equate this to my career and how I do not represent Fordham well. You don't like what I have to say, but I guarantee that it's far more valid than your connecting point A with point 15 you incongruent fool. Did you go to law school with Fucop?

I have no problem with you saying the coach should be fired.  You may or may not be right on this matter of AB and whether he should survive.  Truth is I don't know or care about AB one way or the other. 

I DO have a problem with you saying the coach should be fired every single chance you get, and in a very unfair and overly personal manner.  In this thread alone it was after the third game of the season., when he lost to a good Army team, won the game he should have, and lost to one of the top FCS teams (EWS).  If I cared enough I could look back in other threads as well but I wouldn't be surprised if it was even before the first game.  You seem like a guy who wants the issue regardless of the reality.

However, the way you have made your point is so repeatedly personal and unprofessional that you undermine your own message.  People who do this come across as having a personal axe to grind that makes people like me question your impartiality.  By doing it is YOU who ends up looking foolish and it makes me wonder if YOU are perhaps a bit "off" in your real life.  And as if to emphasize that point, you state things that are at the very least misleading ("nobody has ever heard of Fordham") when in fact my experiences have been very different.  Only a fool keeps going when so directly contradicted.  I obviously struck a nerve.  Good, that was my intention.  There is a cost to being a troll.

I have no idea who "Fucop" is.  I did not attend law school.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:25 pm »

DamnRam, Are you really this much of a self righteous and dopey puss in real life?
Pot: Hello, Kettle?  You're black.
I think the coach should be tossed out on his ass because he completely sucks,
Insightful remark from a guy who has no idea what takes place at practice, in the locker room, or on the sidelines.  A guy who likely never coached or even played a team sport, and a guy who perhaps never succeeded at anything in life.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:36 pm »

What happened to cutting out the name calling and being respectful?

Ban this dope.

I'll accept a ban or whatever but I think you're a douchebag.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:57 am »

You guys are a bore.

How quickly after the last game do you think that Breiner will be asked to coach the midget leagues?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 08, 2017, 09:25:04 am »

Do you think the final game has any bearing on whether or not he returns?

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 08, 2017, 10:05:34 am »

Do you think the final game has any bearing on whether or not he returns?

There are 9 Yes Men, North-South Head Nodders that have voted on this thread.  I am sure that they are all buddies with Jeff Jerry Jones Gray and the BOT.

AB will be back for his 3rd season.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramrookie21
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 08, 2017, 02:18:45 pm »

There are 9 Yes Men, North-South Head Nodders that have voted on this thread.  I am sure that they are all buddies with Jeff Jerry Jones Gray and the BOT.

AB will be back for his 3rd season.

I am not sure about the first part of your post Ram-spouse but why do you think AB should be allowed to return to be the head coach at Fordham? I know why I think Fordham should find another coach for the future if the program and will gladly explain my reasoning if requested.
Report Spam   Logged
Rob Smith
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2017, 02:36:12 pm »

I know why I think Fordham should find another coach for the future if the program and will gladly explain my reasoning if requested.

Ok. Shoot.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2017, 10:58:44 am »

I did not attend annual Fordham Football Dinner earlier this week but one of my former teammates did.  He got the  impression AB would hold onto his job. More of the feeling within the room and small talk with others close to the program --he would get another year to turn this around.  Of course you would expect AD Roach hold his cards close to the vest...  but the alumni and friends of the program at the dinner weren't whispering behind the scenes /calling for AB to let go.    We'll see.           
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2017, 11:15:50 am »

I concur.   I think ABs no-search hiring went all the way to the top.  I think AB is going to have the opportunity to dig out, mostly to save face with the suits (you know who you are) who thought it was such a terrific idea.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »

I concur.   I think ABs no-search hiring went all the way to the top.  I think AB is going to have the opportunity to dig out, mostly to save face with the suits (you know who you are) who thought it was such a terrific idea.

AB will 100% get a third year. 
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2017, 01:51:15 pm »

Agree - if it's going south mid season and starts like this year though - I could see him getting clipped halfway through.

At least that would happen at most schools - I'm not actually sure if Fordham has ever fired someone mid season (source - i was on the masella 1-10 team pre moorhead)
Report Spam   Logged
Ramrookie21
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2017, 02:17:03 am »

Ok. Shoot.

IMO and this is just my opinion,

1) I think losing nine staff in one year and a total of 11 in two years indicates there is a coaching/ managing problem. We all clearly saw the results this year of not having a cohesive unified staff that had any knowledge of the players, their strengths and/ or weaknesses and potential. As a result there were multiple starting line ups every game, penalties due to players not being prepared/disciplined, blown defensive schemes and offensive mishaps.

2) Injuries were crazy this year...why? Please don’t tell me it was just a bad year or coincidence. This was a veteran team that had experienced some injuries in the past but why did the “key” players (juniors and seniors) get hurt this year. What was different this year compared to past years? What was the off season conditioning? Was it different this year and why was it different?

3) AB inherited a talented veteran team that had a few openings and weaknesses but this WAS NOT a team that needed to rebuild with young talent. As everyone has pointed out, this team went 8-3 last year and will probably end up 3-8 this year (I am hoping for 4-7) but that was not the expectation.  With a weak PL football conference this year, Fordham should of dominated with all the returning talent but we have not dominated and in several games we looked unprepared and played very poorly getting completely embarrassed by a few teams.

4) At the end of the day, the responsibility and accountability for this team lies with the HC, period. This is why he was chosen to be the head coach and lead this team. I believe AB is a good person and maybe a good future HC but right now, he is not ready to be the FORDHAM football HC. His decision making, game planning and execution have been a topic of conversation on this board for every game this season, even in the games we won (except Lehigh, good solid win)

Just my thoughts! I was told when I became a HC that the buck starts and stops with me. No excuses, no blaming others or situations , find a way to compete and win because that is what you are getting paid to do.  If you cannot, we will find someone else that can. I am not trying to be harsh but realistic and practical, this is big business, even at Fordham, given the annual football budget and the recent success of the program.  I wasn’t necessarily expecting to go 9-2 or 10-1 (would of been nice) this year but 3-8 or 4-7 is unacceptable. Next year will be a rebuilding season for sure with the loss of several key players (Edmonds, Anderson, Manny)  so how do we expect AB to do next year? Does he or his staff have any experience building a program? From reading the coaching bios, I would suggest no.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2017, 09:17:13 am »

How many more games does Breiner have left in in at Fordham?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:57 am »

I did not attend annual Fordham Football Dinner earlier this week but one of my former teammates did.  He got the  impression AB would hold onto his job. More of the feeling within the room and small talk with others close to the program --he would get another year to turn this around.  Of course you would expect AD Roach hold his cards close to the vest...  but the alumni and friends of the program at the dinner weren't whispering behind the scenes /calling for AB to let go.    We'll see.          

"Another year to turn this around"? "The opportunity to dig out"?

Not rare concepts, but not usually ones used to refer to situations that the coach created himself. If he needs to turn things around, it is b/c he turned them the wrong way given that he inherited a Top 25 program. If he is digging out, it is b/c he buried himself.

He should not be afforded such luxuries, but my gut tells me he will.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2017, 11:48:04 am »

Not rare concepts, but not usually ones used to refer to situations that the coach created himself. If he needs to turn things around, it is b/c he turned them the wrong way given that he inherited a Top 25 program. If he is digging out, it is b/c he buried himself.

Please stop with the " he inherited a top 25 program" . Each year is a brand new season and is different. Different players , chemistry is different , schedule is different. Just because you were once in the top 25 doesn't mean you have a god given right to remain there. I'm sorry but firing a coach after 2 years is insane, especially when you schedule army and eastern Washington to open the season. Clawson was like 3-19 in his first 2 seasons and had the luxury of playing at peters , Fairfield, cw post , new haven ,Columbia ooc.. clawson NEVER beat lehigh... give AB another year ..
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »

I don't want to give AB another shot

Two years in and with a talented offensive team both years we go from a good team to a bad one this year

To me there are two really damning things:

The terrible defense - our defense was not very good with JM but the deficiencies were hidden somewhat with the terrific offensive production and the ability to make up for poor play by outscoring the other team, we won but there was an imbalance.  It is clear that the imbalance and poor play has not been addressed and in fact it has gotten worse. After sitting at JM's side and then two years as HC what evidence do we have that AB will be able to improve the defense?

The decline in the offense - even with the talent we have and the great system JM left behind, our offense has declined this year. True Chase was hurt and Anderson has been hurt or suspended, maybe both, but I expected more. Offense was where AB excelled, if he is going backwards here and can no longer rely on outscoring the opposition we are in trouble.

It is not just the two years as HC that I am looking at, it the whole arc of AB's time at Fordham, things are declining, we have seen enough, time for a change
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2017, 12:22:22 pm »

How many more games does Breiner have left in in at Fordham?

He will be given another year, in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »

I'm sorry but firing a coach after 2 years is insane, 

So it was "insane" to fire Ed Foley?

What's needed is an end of year review. Interview with the coach and AD and admins and see if all are comfortable with the direction of program.  Who knows, maybe he has a really good game plan and some transfers, recruits that could be promising. Or perhaps, this type of vetting after two years will reveal he is definitely not the right guy. Knee jerks not needed. That's likely what got us here in the first place.

The overwhelming majority of the posters here who are in the know, indicate that this was a hire that was taken out of Roach's hands.  If in fact this hire was not really his, then Roach deserves to do the vetting here now, and make the call. 
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »

So it was "insane" to fire Ed Foley?

What's needed is an end of year review. Interview with the coach and AD and admins and see if all are comfortable with the direction of program.  Who knows, maybe he has a really good game plan and some transfers, recruits that could be promising. Or perhaps, this type of vetting after two years will reveal he is definitely not the right guy. Knee jerks not needed. That's likely what got us here in the first place.

The overwhelming majority of the posters here who are in the know, indicate that this was a hire that was taken out of Roach's hands.  If in fact this hire was not really his, then Roach deserves to do the vetting here now, and make the call. 

Yes I think ed foley should have been given another year.. clawson left at the right time no more eakin, Watson or Dudley . No more kornegay no more McGrath .. loads of talent Gone.. foley was building back and never had a chance .. masella won a pl championship shortly after .. I think constant turnover is bad .. football is not a year to year sport. It's about recruiting and building a program not firing a coach because he has 1 bad year
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2017, 01:21:53 pm »

I agree. I was stating what I believe will transpire.  The decision will not be made for a football reason, just as the hiring wasn’t made for a football reason.

No one is going to want to own firing him after the way he was hired.   And this if Fordham. Who gets fired after one bad year?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: