fordhamfans.com
October 19, 2017, 05:15:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"

Poll
Question: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Absolutely, he should be on the hot seat now - 34 (44.2%)
Yes, if we lose next week - 5 (6.5%)
Let's give it a few more games - 5 (6.5%)
Wait til the end of the year - 24 (31.2%)
No - 9 (11.7%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"  (Read 7630 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:29 am »

Our budget is not the problem, but I would not go one emphasizing/bragging/etc. that it is so large.  The primary reason why our FB operating budget is towards the top of the FCS level is simply because of our NYC metropolitan location.  We all know that NYC has a much higher cost of living than most areas of the country.  I would like to think that our coaches are paid fairly, but touting our bid budget is not based on a commitment to being successful but rather our expensive NYC address.  I highly doubt our staff is not making a mint while coaching at Fordham.

Now facilities, that is a completely separate issue.  We get a F- for facilities and until we wake up, develop a serious plan to upgrade facilities (for all sports) with a major athletics campaign we will never be able to excel at a higher level.  And I don't care what our travel van looks like.

Where Fordham will has succeeded is finding younger coaches that have a passion to coach at a higher level.  Clawson and Moorhead are those type of people.  I am not sure Beiner is.
- It was obvious, Clawson developed a plan to get the best talent in the door, play the best players that will show progress each year to a point where it impresses enough to get to the next bigger level/paycheck ASAP.  He didn't care about tanking a year if that would pay off in getting younger guys valuable playing time to excel at a faster rate in the years to come.  He basically had the same philosophy as my HS baseball coach.  If you have a Sophomore and a Senior competing for the same position and they they are at the same level, pick the Sophomore as the production level this year will be no worse than the senior, but he will be in a better position to improve sne be set up for success for two more years, versus miss out on that valuable year of experience. 
- Moorhead worked at a lower level at G-Town and reached a pinnacle of a bowl game at UConn, as well as the middle ground at Akron.  Again, he saw Fordham as a shot to prove himself as a HC; show progress and get to the next level ASAP.  He was smart enough to realize he had studs on the offensive side of the ball and with his offensive mind, he could win by outscoring the other team.

I wish Breiner all the best and was hoping he could turn this around.  My gut tells me he simply is not ready to be a head coach (maybe not smart and/or experienced enough?) or simply does not have the killer drive to succeed like other younger coaches that have elevated their careers at a rapid rate.   It is not an easy gig, but he was given the opportunity and ultimately he has to deliver.  I think he has to win at least 3 games this year to keep his job. 
- If your only wins are a last minute comeback at CCSU and scholarship-less G'Town, that is not going to cut it.  Add in the decent amount of talent on the roster and it looks worse.  Let face it, if you had to rank the teams by Most Disappointing Season, we could arguably finish in the top spot. 
- Maybe AOC can chime in, but do you think he made the right decisions with the coaching staff? Does he manage them well?  Do they respect AB? 
I have no idea but when Kaup asked earlier how did he go 8-3 last year? Other than graduating seniors, the only real difference is the staff right?  So what gives?  Other than the obvious of a few key injuries (which every team has), why is this team underperforming?

CHAKA

PS. I hope we schedule Rice, lower FBS team in a prime recruiting market and likely a decent pay day.
PSS. We need FBS transfers and possibly jucos for next year.

It's hard to judge re: assistant coaches.   Assistant coach interviews are usually in a conference room at the convention or a trip to campus.  You meet with the staff, talk about your philosophy and spend a few hours on the board.  Because of the timing these hires are made quickly.  Playbooks have to be finished and finished and the coaches all need to be coached up before spring practice.

I'm thinking that AB wasn't fishing in a deep pool for assistants to begin with.  It's definitely a stepping stone job and guys know that.  What a smart assistant is asking himself is, "can I ride with this HC for 2-3 years and have enough success to take a step up?"  Except for really young guys who are right out of school or guys who don't have a job, I don't know that many were saying "yes".  

A place like Fordham is great to start your career, especially if you're smart enough to knock off the free grad degree.  There should have been guys out there.  Key positions like OC, DC, quarterbacks, O-line and secondary you have to aim higher.  I don't think this happened.  I don't know how much AB is doing himself with the offense.  O-line hasn't been good.  Defense as a hole has been plain bad. I don't know why he would have gone with a position coach from Bucknell to be DC unless he just couldn't get anyone else.  Also, when things are going south in one area, the coordinators and HC usually sit down and try to hash it out.  This is where experience is so important.  When the O-line is having a bad time for example, who has the experience to say, " we did it this way at Whatever State, let's try it here."  I think on the key spots I mentioned, AB didn't inspire guys to risk making the jump.  A very tough profession.  AB just doesn't seem to have guys who have been around the block a few times.  

It's tough business to move up in and easy to slide back with just a few tough years.  It's almost always a roll of the dice when you make a move so you really have to weigh it out.  I'm thinking AB got the best guys he could but didn't have a lot to pick from.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2017, 08:46:39 am »

AOC,
Thanks for the insights, especially since it is a tough angle to grasp as we are not privy to who AB had to pick from. 

Again, all speculation here, but do you think with a very young coach that an experienced Asst or even Coordinator would take a coaching position at Fordham?  I guess it depends on the situation Program on rise, fall and stability, plus pay), but I question whether an experienced coach would want to work under AB.  IF... that is the case I would imagine that he has a small pool of inexperienced guys he can choose from.  Not to bash AB, but as some have posted on here and I do think it is fair to say he was a glorified position coach as JM was calling the plays.  If Asst candidates were aware of that I would think he would attract an even smaller pool of candidates.  A lot of speculation, but I would guess that is logical and possibly played into the situation.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2017, 09:50:45 am »

AOC,
Thanks for the insights, especially since it is a tough angle to grasp as we are not privy to who AB had to pick from. 

Again, all speculation here, but do you think with a very young coach that an experienced Asst or even Coordinator would take a coaching position at Fordham?  I guess it depends on the situation Program on rise, fall and stability, plus pay), but I question whether an experienced coach would want to work under AB.  IF... that is the case I would imagine that he has a small pool of inexperienced guys he can choose from.  Not to bash AB, but as some have posted on here and I do think it is fair to say he was a glorified position coach as JM was calling the plays.  If Asst candidates were aware of that I would think he would attract an even smaller pool of candidates.  A lot of speculation, but I would guess that is logical and possibly played into the situation.

Yes, I think there guys out there but you may have to make some calls and chase them and show some love.  And pay them.  My impression is AB couldn't or wouldn't do that.  If he's his own OC, he really needs a line coach and QB coach who no what they're doing.  Experience is important and it doesn't have to be on the big-time level.  Do you think a line coach from Rowan couldn't do this job just because he's from a D-III school?  We're not exactly playing a Big 12 schedule.  My impression, from things I've heard/seen is that AB doesn't especially want to know what he doesn't know. 

I do think guys knew the reality of ABs hire.  Maybe not the details but they knew.  He's a very young guy working for a guy on the fast track.  His OC credentials were minimal at best.  That said, a job is a job and at any given time there are a lot of good coaches looking for work.  While I'm sure guys weren't throwing resumes at him at the convention but had he gotten on the phone and been proactive, he would have found guys who knew what they were doing, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:40:04 am by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:40 am »

. . . My impression, from things I've heard/seen is that AB doesn't especially want to know what he doesn't know. 

Of all the things that have been posted about the HC situation, that's the most distressing one.  Not being conscious of and honest about your own shortcomings is an easy road to problems. And unfortunately, it goes hand in hand with inexperience and insecurity, as many of us know from painful lessons . . .
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2017, 11:54:01 am »

Hubris
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2017, 01:06:12 pm »

Why wait to start this until the end of the game....

AB is incompetent on so many levels.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2017, 01:17:18 pm »

Aoc - Please come out of retirmement.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2017, 01:36:48 pm »

Why wait to start this until the end of the game....

AB is incompetent on so many levels.

Wow. What an original post. Is this the first time you've questioned the coach's ability?

HKOnetrickpony. You're the alternative to Ram-Louse's stupid "All is Well" video clip--with you it's "All is Lost."

As I recall, the last time a thread with this subject was started by you, it was quickly locked.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »

Red or green jello today Fucop?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »

Wow. What an original post. Is this the first time you've questioned the coach's ability?

HKOnetrickpony. You're the alternative to Ram-Louse's stupid "All is Well" video clip--with you it's "All is Lost."

As I recall, the last time a thread with this subject was started by you, it was quickly locked.

Thanks Sparky......

Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »

RS, That never gets old. It always brings a chuckle.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2017, 02:30:10 pm »

Red or green jello today Fucop?

Ask your wife (is she your second or third?), she's bringing it over.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

RS, That never gets old. It always brings a chuckle.

And it usually brings ace. He has asked Ram-Louse to stop posting it. It is repetitive and juvenile, but completely in keeping with the displayed intelligence of the three members of the Axis of Evil.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »

Ram-spouse, don’t post that video again.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2017, 02:41:20 pm »

Ram-spouse, donít post that video again.

Ok, can you please tell Fucop69 to stop asking me to post it?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:51 pm »

And it usually brings ace. He has asked Ram-Louse
FukUp69 please stop calling me Ram-Louse
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »

fucop

Stop with your Vietnam flashbacks. My wife is not a Saigon ladyboy.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »

Guys, enough with the personal crap. It was old a long time ago. Act your age.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »

FukUp69 please stop calling me Ram-Louse

No.
Report Spam   Logged

HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

Sorry Ace, I didn't know Fucop was so sensitive about his little vice.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »

Just cut it out overall. That’s the last time I ask.
Report Spam   Logged

FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2017, 02:55:26 pm »

Ok, can you please tell Fucop69 to stop asking me to post it?

You have the intelligence of a sand flea with dementia. I have never asked you to post that juvenile video clip. Quite the opposite. But it has been well established that you are unable to read for comprehension. Now go back to your coloring books.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2017, 02:57:31 pm »

Just cut it out overall. That’s the last time I ask.

This message was for everyone, not just HKRam. If you like posting here, clean it up.
Report Spam   Logged

FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2017, 02:57:49 pm »

Just cut it out overall. Thatís the last time I ask.

Okay ace. There's nothing to be gained by going back and forth with those three anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2017, 03:47:34 pm »

Can someone please tell me how 7 people don't think that AB should be on the Hot Seat?  You can change your vote.  Does Rambacker and FucOp69 have multiple log-in accounts?  Their Rose-colored glasses need to have their prescription changed ASAP.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:32 pm »

At this point in time it appears we may only beat Georgetown. If that's the case then we should be looking for a new coach. I'm not sure why we  did what we did? Probably because it was easy. But at this point going 2-11, would be the start of a downhill trend that can only signal the demise of Fordham Football.  Not something I want to see happen.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »

I think the proh cess ( as the Canadians would say) needs to commence.

I like this guy.
http://cuse.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1500&path=football

This thing is in the terlet.  I dont see any way of fixing this with this coach.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2017, 05:12:36 pm »

He's a good one 85.

Roach is going to need a lot of help on this.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2017, 05:42:12 pm »

Can someone please tell me how 7 people don't think that AB should be on the Hot Seat?  You can change your vote.  Does Rambacker and FucOp69 have multiple log-in accounts?  Their Rose-colored glasses need to have their prescription changed ASAP.

Hot seat yes. Fired No. The team is bad and we know this. Why must people continue to puke on after every loss? It's half way through the 2nd season, he deserves a chance at a 3rd year. Unless there is a violation , abuse of players or total loss of player control he should stay. Losing games in year 2 alone is not a reason to fire a coach.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2017, 05:43:52 pm »

I gave Coach B a grade of B last year.  I honestly thought we would have a good year with Chase, Anderson and many returning starters..  The PL title or at very least an FCS playoff bid.  Wups.  
The early schedule was tough  Army, EWU and no gimme games (Elizabeth City State /Columbia etc).   Yet figured we would bounce back and string together a winning steak.  How wrong I was.  Coach B and staff get a grade of  F.  The wheels are off.  I know Fordham usually doesn't make quick decisive coaching changes but to go ~ 2-9 with this talent.  Its time for one.    
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: