fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:11:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"

Poll
Question: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"
Absolutely, he should be on the hot seat now - 38 (45.8%)
Yes, if we lose next week - 5 (6%)
Let's give it a few more games - 5 (6%)
Wait til the end of the year - 26 (31.3%)
No - 9 (10.8%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Coach Breiner be on the "Hot Seat"  (Read 12451 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:10 pm »

If AB is going to be retained, which I am not for by the way, I agree, I think this is the only way to go.  The individual coaches under AB have failed miserably.  A national search for these coaches,
at least, should be implemented getting the best people to help AB that are available to a program like Fordham's.  I think Roach should insist as a condition to keep AB if that is the decision.

I think a move like this is a recipe for disaster. If we're going to keep a coach "with conditions" we should just move on. One of the issues we've pointed out this season is that he's had a ton of turnover at the assistant level. Are we going to essentially bring in a new staff, and potentially force/encourage him to hire certain people he wouldn't have otherwise brought in?

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 13, 2017, 04:14:45 pm »

I think a move like this is a recipe for disaster. If we're going to keep a coach "with conditions" we should just move on. One of the issues we've pointed out this season is that he's had a ton of turnover at the assistant level. Are we going to essentially bring in a new staff, and potentially force/encourage him to hire certain people he wouldn't have otherwise brought in?

Yes
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 13, 2017, 04:22:19 pm »

Yes

What's the point? Do you think that's actually a good idea?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:07 pm »

Yes

Is Ed Argast available?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »

What's the point? Do you think that's actually a good idea?

Not my first choice but if AB is staying, he's got to bring in some guys who know what they're doing and can see a big picture.  A lot of the garbage we saw this year has nothing to do with coaches being on the same page.  Penalties, blown assignments, total breakdown in the O-Line, lack of fundamentals.  That's coaching 101.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »

Is Ed Argast available?

Last I heard he was way up north...  Vermont or Maine?

He's exactly the kind of guy we need.  A couple of them, really. 
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »

Not my first choice but if AB is staying, he's got to bring in some guys who know what they're doing and can see a big picture.  A lot of the garbage we saw this year has nothing to do with coaches being on the same page.  Penalties, blown assignments, total breakdown in the O-Line, lack of fundamentals.  That's coaching 101.
I feel like this is one of those arguments I could you so easily taking the opposite side of if some posters had made your argument for cleaning house but keeping AB.  You're thrusting a new staff upon him (and the program) for another year and what is it that you're saying he's actually bringing to the table?  To me, if you have a senior guy or two that you have in mind (e.g. - Argast), that's fine.  However, forcing an entirely new crew in there imo seems like you're delaying the inevitable and comes off to me like a cowardly way out.  

Let him go and start over ... or have your tough meeting, offer to help with new staff but still let him choose the team he'll go to battle with.  
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:14 pm »

I feel like this is one of those arguments I could you so easily taking the opposite side of if some posters had made your argument for cleaning house but keeping AB.  You're thrusting a new staff upon him (and the program) for another year and what is it that you're saying he's actually bringing to the table?  To me, if you have a senior guy or two that you have in mind (e.g. - Argast), that's fine.  However, forcing an entirely new crew in there imo seems like you're delaying the inevitable and comes off to me like a cowardly way out.  

Let him go and start over ... or have your tough meeting, offer to help with new staff but still let him choose the team he'll go to battle with.  

You're assuming this is Roach's call to keep or fire him.  I don't believe it is. I think he can make a recommendation but doesn't have final say.  Assuming AB stays, I think he needs a lot of help.  He had the opportunity to bring coaches in and didn't do well with it.   Now if he wants to keep the job, he has to come in with assistants with real resumes.  Also, it's not just next year.   Whether AB stays past next year or not, you still have to put a respectable team on the field.  There were times this season when we were a total crap show. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 13, 2017, 05:28:03 pm »

Last I heard he was way up north...  Vermont or Maine?

He's exactly the kind of guy we need.  A couple of them, really. 

University of New England. Which is in Maine.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:25 pm »

University of New England. Which is in Maine.

First call.  Best line coach I've ever been around and totally gets football on the non-FBS level. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 13, 2017, 06:00:01 pm »

First call.  Best line coach I've ever been around and totally gets football on the non-FBS level. 

I take that back.  One of the best football coaches, period.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:02 am »

Is Ed Argast available?

All this talk of firing our coaches and national searches to hire the next hot coach and This if who you come up with? A journeyman offensive line coach from the northeast.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:02 am »

All this talk of firing our coaches and national searches to hire the next hot coach and This if who you come up with? A journeyman offensive line coach from the northeast.

I think this was definitely in reference to hiring him as a position coach, not the next HC.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:06 am »

It was in reply to AOC who was saying we needed to bring in old school assistants.

This is what I was going back to.
I don't think AB is going anywhere.  Here is what should happen and what successful programs would do...

Roach should bring AB in for a major "come to Jesus meeting". He should tell him he needs to unload the coordinators, the special teams coach and the o-line coach and do a serious search and Roach is going to "help" him do that search.  He needs to bring in some older guys who will get the attention of the players and who have been around the block.  He also needs to bring in a real recruiting coordinator.  IMO that's the best way to improve the program given our realities.

Also said partially in jest b/c I know AOC thinks very highly of Argast.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:49 am »

It was in reply to AOC who was saying we needed to bring in old school assistants.

This is what I was going back to.
Also said partially in jest b/c I know AOC thinks very highly of Argast.

Argast was my o-line coach for 1 season and was definitely a great positional coach. The Guy could also pack a lip. Horseshoe style. Didn't want to stand too close when he was angry cause tobacco was flying everywhere!
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:42 am »

Why do you need tailgating on EP?  It's the center of campus and one of the last open parcels at Rose Hill.  You keep telling us what big-time programs do.  What programs bring cars onto the cAmpus quad for tailgating?  Help us here...

Of all the things Fordham needs to do to upgrade football and athltics in general, this is about #127.

Actually one of the biggest of the bigs kind of does that.  Alabama has a postage size parking lot for a 100,000 seat arena.  Tuscaloosa is an open campus with unfettered drive through ability.  People are encouraged to park on lawns &  open space however the main Quad is reserved for homecoming type tents vendors etc.  Had a friend who had season tickets.  If you weren't tailgating and wanted to leave right after the game, your option was to park over a mile away and hoof it to and from the stadium.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22:06 am »

Actually one of the biggest of the bigs kind of does that.  Alabama has a postage size parking lot for a 100,000 seat arena.  Tuscaloosa is an open campus with unfettered drive through ability.  People are encouraged to park on lawns &  open space however the main Quad is reserved for homecoming type tents vendors etc.  Had a friend who had season tickets.  If you weren't tailgating and wanted to leave right after the game, your option was to park over a mile away and hoof it to and from the stadium.

Bama is one of many venues that have this style set up like ours.  We are missing an enormous opportunity.  The only people that should be allowed to park "on campus" during Football Saturdays at Rose Hill should be folks with Reserved/VIP tailgating spots.  If you want to come to the game and not have a spot or tailgating option then you take a bus in from a "remote" parking overflow option.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »

That was my main point.  I've never been to a campus that allowed parking on the main quad.  Most major schools have their stadiums on the edge of campus and parking on the center of campus puts you far away from the game.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »

Bama is one of many venues that have this style set up like ours.  We are missing an enormous opportunity.  The only people that should be allowed to park "on campus" during Football Saturdays at Rose Hill should be folks with Reserved/VIP tailgating spots.  If you want to come to the game and not have a spot or tailgating option then you take a bus in from a "remote" parking overflow option.

Lot A will eventually be converted to classroom space. During Homecoming there were parties at Gabelli, and other locations. I assume the roof of the Garage will be used for practice fields at some point. You could tent-tailgate up there, but since it is a garage, open fires are forbidden. Only one set of elevators go up there.

The HC tent is not going away, I recommend additional tents around the campus for more intimate groups, and the ability for sit down dining or speeches by PotU or various deans.

Only concern about people setting up their own pop-up tents is a squall could come through and pick up a tent and hurt people.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »

Not a lotAs of right now you could put the HC tent in the visitors end zone. AB apparently has no use for it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2017, 03:54:58 pm »

Lot A will eventually be converted to classroom space. During Homecoming there were parties at Gabelli, and other locations. I assume the roof of the Garage will be used for practice fields at some point. You could tent-tailgate up there, but since it is a garage, open fires are forbidden. Only one set of elevators go up there.

The HC tent is not going away, I recommend additional tents around the campus for more intimate groups, and the ability for sit down dining or speeches by PotU or various deans.

Only concern about people setting up their own pop-up tents is a squall could come through and pick up a tent and hurt people.

Thank you.....

This is the typical "swing and a miss" information and drone thinking that goes on at Fordham.  With thinking like this our "Butt Fumble" Homecoming activities will continue from now until our Homecoming crowds dwindle to zero.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »

Thank you.....

This is the typical "swing and a miss" information and drone thinking that goes on at Fordham.  With thinking like this our "Butt Fumble" Homecoming activities will continue from now until our Homecoming crowds dwindle to zero.

+1. Too much can’t, can’t, can’t going on around here.

Except for parking on eddies, that will never happen, but I do think it could work for space where people can set up their personal party space.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 14, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »

+1. Too much canít, canít, canít going on around here.

Except for parking on eddies, that will never happen, but I do think it could work for space where people can set up their personal party space.

Ace, at this point I would even compromise and say....

Ok, no vehicles on Eddie's as long as private tailgating is allowed to take place on Eddie's.  Also, the "fun Police" is only allow to tell people to stop tailgating 1 hour after the final Whistle sounds.  They are not allowed to tell people they can't tailgate during the game.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 14, 2017, 10:53:13 pm »

Ok, no vehicles on Eddie's as long as private tailgating is allowed to take place on Eddie's.

Tailgating without a vehicle?  That's called a "picnic".
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 14, 2017, 11:39:00 pm »

Tailgating without a vehicle?  That's called a "picnic".

Enjoy your warm beer and Fire Marshall illegal tent next year.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:52 am »

Enjoy your warm beer and Fire Marshall illegal tent next year.

If you promise not to be there, we'll all have a much better time. Go attend a homecoming at one of the Power 5 schools that you think we should emulate. Maybe they'll let you tailgate on their quad. Hopefully they'll arrest you for trespassing when you do.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:27 am »

If you promise not to be there, we'll all have a much better time. Go attend a homecoming at one of the Power 5 schools that you think we should emulate. Maybe they'll let you tailgate on their quad. Hopefully they'll arrest you for trespassing when you do.

It is truly amazing that you are content with this Butt-Fumble style operation that you call a tailgate.  The people on these threads have overwhelmingly stated their disgust with this incompetency which some people call a tailgate.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:00 am »

+1. Too much canít, canít, canít going on around here.

Isnít that what a tailgate is?

It seems to me, party areas, vip tents, corporate sponsor areas are incumbent on VIPs and corporate types having the interest in Fordham football.   Our crack marketing team hasnít  been successful in geneeating such interest.

I still go to 3-4 home games a year and one away game.  I donít know Iíve ever heard real complaints about the tailgating situation other than they donít want people lingering long after the game.  Do we really have a segment of the fan base that wants to dedicate 8 hours on a Saturday, 5-6 times a year to Fordham football?  Iím sure if there was some critical mass and they approached the administration with a plan for a upgraded tailgate situation, theyíd at least listen.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2017, 07:49:03 am »

Isn’t that what a tailgate is?

It seems to me, party areas, vip tents, corporate sponsor areas are incumbent on VIPs and corporate types having the interest in Fordham football.   Our crack marketing team hasn’t  been successful in geneeating such interest.

I still go to 3-4 home games a year and one away game.  I don’t know I’ve ever heard real complaints about the tailgating situation other than they don’t want people lingering long after the game.  Do we really have a segment of the fan base that wants to dedicate 8 hours on a Saturday, 5-6 times a year to Fordham football?  I’m sure if there was some critical mass and they approached the administration with a plan for a upgraded tailgate situation, they’d at least listen.

Isn't what what a tailgate is? Are you saying it requires parking or it does not require parking?

I agree that aside from homecoming the tailgating does not seem to come into question. I do not think that critical mass is there, but others seem to think it is.
Report Spam   Logged

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 15, 2017, 08:09:32 am »

Isn't what what a tailgate is? Are you saying it requires parking or it does not require parking?

I agree that aside from homecoming the tailgating does not seem to come into question. I do not think that critical mass is there, but others seem to think it is.

Isnít a personal party space outside a football game a tailgate?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: