fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 12:41:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

FACTS and REALITY

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FACTS and REALITY  (Read 1350 times)
ramjam
Freshman

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:01:30 am »

FACT: we can make the playoffs by winning the Patriot League
REALITY: our defense is so poor it may prevent us from winning another game
PROBABLE: the season jumped off the rails after the Bryant loss and it is hard to reverse that downward spiral that the team appears to be experiencing
FACT: there is too much talent on this team to be playing like this and that is the responsibility of the coach and staff
FACT: the timing of the "Chasing Greatness" video and the shakedown letter for the new offices could not have been worse
REALITY: he will resign or be removed at the end of the year, expecting a turnaround at this point is simply delusional
I feel for the players, hopefully they keep their heads up and take this as a challenge to not quit and fight through the adversity, this will not be the last time in their lives things do not bounce their way.
Report Spam   Logged

Be the Hammer, Not the Nail

Social Buttons

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:06:54 am »

FACT: we can make the playoffs by winning the Patriot League
REALITY: our defense is so poor it may prevent us from winning another game
PROBABLE: the season jumped off the rails after the Bryant loss and it is hard to reverse that downward spiral that the team appears to be experiencing
FACT: there is too much talent on this team to be playing like this and that is the responsibility of the coach and staff
FACT: the timing of the "Chasing Greatness" video and the shakedown letter for the new offices could not have been worse

The "Chasing Greatness" video and shakedown letter are just 2 more examples of the embarrassing, "Fire, ready, aim" philosophy that we have witnessed with our AD and marketing department over the last 25 years
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:43:04 am »

REALITY:
I feel for the players, hopefully they keep their heads up and take this as a challenge to not quit and fight through the adversity, this will not be the last time in their lives things do not bounce their way.
[/quote]Fact: Name change- Fordham Adversity Football Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:07 am »

FACT: You obviously fail to grasp that if AB had a new office, the team would be winning. Duh........ Afro
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:45:14 am »

85, that is hysterical!
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »

Many posters keep repeating the same refrain: "there is so much talent on this team, it has to be the coaches' fault that we're doing so poorly." I have seen every home game played under Coach Breiner (and many games before he took over) and, honestly, I don't see this "talent" on either the offensive or defensive lines, nor on the linebacker corps. You might say, "well, then that's on the coaches for poor recruiting." Possibly, but remember, we no longer have the advantage in scholarships that helped us immensely in the Moorhead era. It's probable now that our disadvantages outweigh our advantages in recruiting. One discussion that will have to take place at season's end is the need to hire a top notch recruiter who can work within the limits that exist here. So....

FACT: We need a top notch recruiter for our football program.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 01:16:53 pm »

Many posters keep repeating the same refrain: "there is so much talent on this team, it has to be the coaches' fault that we're doing so poorly." I have seen every home game played under Coach Breiner (and many games before he took over) and, honestly, I don't see this "talent" on either the offensive or defensive lines, nor on the linebacker corps. You might say, "well, then that's on the coaches for poor recruiting." Possibly, but remember, we no longer have the advantage in scholarships that helped us immensely in the Moorhead era. It's probable now that our disadvantages outweigh our advantages in recruiting. One discussion that will have to take place at season's end is the need to hire a top notch recruiter who can work within the limits that exist here. So....

Recruiter aka Head football coach?  Is that what you are saying?
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 01:25:05 pm »

Apparently reading for comprehension is another thing you haven't mastered. No, that's NOT what I'm saying. On many teams, the top recruiter is NOT the head coach. Do you remember who recruited Chase for Fordham? I'll give you a hint (since you obviously need one), it wasn't Joe Moorhead.
Report Spam   Logged

HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:36:04 pm »

Lady fingers, we need you here in the safe space. Your great grandson is gone - the only question is when. Not only has he blown our season but his players are quitting on him. Move on.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »

Lady fingers, we need you here in the safe space. Your great grandson is gone - the only question is when. Not only has he blown our season but his players are quitting on him. Move on.

Same old insults. How imaginative. You and  Tongue  Tongue  should book a room at a Sandals resort and try to come up with some new vitriol. You are a childish fool, a boor, and a total waste of my time. Go insult someone else. I'm done with you.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 01:51:56 pm »

Same old insults. How imaginative. You and  Tongue  Tongue  should book a room at a Sandals resort and try to come up with some new vitriol. You are a childish fool, a boor, and a total waste of my time. Go insult someone else. I'm done with you.

Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 02:00:29 pm »

Great post Ram Spouse

From Fucop to me personally:

He's not my great grandson, he's my son. I had him with your wife. She said I was a vast improvement over you.

No wonder they closed the College of Pharmacy! You're a class act, you embarrassing old fool.
Report Spam   Logged
ramjam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 02:42:17 pm »

I don't dispute your call for a top notch recruiter. Are you saying Moorhead left the cupboard bare? If so, who was the recruiting coordinator and person that brought in Chase?
I believe the talent level relative to what we are experiencing on the field is unacceptable. Masella was a good recruiter but a lousy coach. Moorhead took his 1-10 team and they went 6-5 and were a 2pt conversion away from taking playoff bound Colgate into OT. You need good coaches and recruiters.
We have enough talent to compete in our league. Not a single PL team with a winning record. The auto bid is totally up for grabs. However, the harsh REALITY is that the lack of coaching, combined with lesser players recruited on defense by the prior recruiting coordinator is what we are getting on the field.
I would love to see us put it together and rally through the PL slate. I am realistic though....
Report Spam   Logged

Be the Hammer, Not the Nail
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »

FACT: You obviously fail to grasp that if AB had a new office, the team would be winning. Duh........ Afro

Or a cargo truck, according to Ram Spouse.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 03:24:48 pm »

I do not know who the recruiting coordinator was previously, but in football you have half a dozen guys out recruiting. They divide areas of the country and positions. At this level it is hard to keep the recruiting moving b/c so many guys move on to bigger jobs. Ultimately, if a program recruits well or not, it falls on the head coach as he has to make sure his staff is recruiting the talent needed and in the areas needed. He might assign much of that coordination to his recruiting coordinator, but it is still on him to make sure the recruiting is happening a needed.

The idea that one guy is going to come in and recruit what we need is overly simplistic. You need a staff that can recruit.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »

The idea that one guy is going to come in and recruit what we need is overly simplistic. You need a staff that can recruit.

I agree. Clearly our most pressing needs are on the offensive and defensive lines. We need coaches who can recruit that type of player successfully, as well as coach them up, given our disadvantages in facilities. It's going to be a real challenge now that our scholarship advantage no longer exists.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »

Or a cargo truck, according to Ram Spouse.

Actually a very funny comment, but 100% spot on and true.  1000 little things is killing this program.  Crap offices,  a U-Haul truck for road games, abandonment of the JCF renovation 5 years ago, no official coaching search, the Chase video after he was already hurt, hiring a 31 yr old with no head coaching experience, the Karaoke debacle......I could go on and on and on.

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 04:36:32 pm »

I agree. Clearly our most pressing needs are on the offensive and defensive lines. We need coaches who can recruit that type of player successfully, as well as coach them up, given our disadvantages in facilities. It's going to be a real challenge now that our scholarship advantage no longer exists.

you mean scholarship disadvantage now.....
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 04:38:44 pm »

Query: Was Breiner really the OC with an offensive genius like Moorehead running things?  Did we actually hand the reigns to a position coach with an overstated title?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 04:45:19 pm »

Query: Was Breiner really the OC with an offensive genius like Moorehead running things?  Did we actually hand the reigns to a position coach with an overstated title?

100% spot on
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »

Quite possibly. Given Joe's turn around success at Penn State, quite probably.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 05:27:14 pm »

Quite possibly. Given Joe's turn around success at Penn State, quite probably.

Again, nothing against Breiner, they offered, he took it. But a close look at things was warranted. I feel bad for him. Unless there is a monumental turnaround, this could get ugly.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 05:34:16 pm »

Whatever happens, we need a complete revamp of the defense, from players to coaching philosophy and we have needed that for several years

The bad play of this unit did not start this season, it has been going on for a while
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »

As bad as our defense was in previous years, it was never this bad. 

Our defensive line is pushed back on almost every down and rarely gets pressure on the quarterback.  Our linebackers are a sieve and our secondary is totally inept.  I do believe however, that we have decent players in our secondary, not so much with the other defensive players.

The defensive coordinator must quickly rethink what is happening, if possible, change tactics, try different player combinations, pray for guidance and try to make a decent showing in a Patriot League composed of similarly bad teams.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram8084.
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 07:03:37 pm »

I don't know all that much about football, but is Manny Adeyeye a different player?
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 07:06:47 pm »

Query: Was Breiner Foley really the OC with an offensive genius like Moorehead Clawson running things?  Did we actually hand the reigns to a position coach with an overstated title?
Report Spam   Logged
Rob Smith
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »

Query: Was Breiner Foley really the OC with an offensive genius like Moorehead Clawson running things?  Did we actually hand the reigns to a position coach with an overstated title?

Clawson called the plays, ran the offense, etc.  Foley was universally loved by the players.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 09:16:35 pm »

Step up and claim your prize.   Anything on the shelf including the top row!
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »

Clawson called the plays, ran the offense, etc.  Foley was universally loved by the players.

I hate to say this but this MAY be the case (in both cases actually).
Did we hire a position coach with a Coordinator title.

Not the best analogy but in the golf/country club industry, Head Pro at a club (as a courtesy to a loyal Assistant Pro) will often times change his/her own title to  from Head pro to Director of Golf and then provide the Assistant Golf Pro with a the Head Pro title.  By doing so, the Assistant to Head Pro bolsters his/her resume with the bigger title, yet in reality they are still handling the same day to day responsibilities.

I hope I am wrong but it is truly possible he simply was not ready for the head coaching assignment.  Butt I do have a questuons that hopefully those in the know may have a better explanation:

- He did have a 8-3 record last year which is respectable.
Yes, I know he blew the Monmouth game and we got scorched at Navy and Lehigh was pretty ugly as well, but overall I am guessing he never lost the team and overall the season was deemed acceptable?

- Did our talent level really drop off that much this year?
Yes, our best player is hurt and no doubt that has an impact and probably a few others but virtually no other team is totally healthy either. When Chase did play, did it make that much of a difference?

- Is the Defense that much worse this year?
Thanks to the stats from a poster last week?, defense has never been our forte as of late, but it seems like every team gets 40+ on us.

- Whats the deal with special teams. It is common for personnel to change from year to year, why so bad this year?
Yes, we have rookie kickers, but how about punt cov, return, KO cov and return

- Leadership, Does AB have it?
doe the asst coaches not respect a 32 year old head coach?
Coach Moorhead preached player "Buy In, Next Man Up" philosophies.  Are those theories gone?  Doe the players anc oaches not buy in?

In most games we have scored a decent amount of points, so it can't be all about offense and outscoring teams could it?

I understand what folks are saying about the PL teams have cuaght up in schollies but last I checked we haven't even played a conference game yet so that argument is irrelevant (so far)

In many cases talent trumps all, so even though the game plans, the strategies, the adjustments (or lack there of) may not be there, is this team really this bad talent wise?  Again, I am not privied enough to truly understand why the drop off in production this year to last, but based on the results there seems like there has got to be more to it that a drop in talent.

I would be curious to poll the players individually to get to the bottom of this.  I would want to hear from them (one by one without influence from others) why they feel they are in the position they are in today (1-4) with 3 blowout losses and a measly win against CCSU. 

Again, I hope Breiner gets this moving in a positive direction, but we are all obviously concerned.

Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »

I understand what folks are saying about the PL teams have cuaght caught up in schollies but last I checked we haven't even played a conference game yet so that argument is irrelevant (so far)

Chaka, I strongly disagree. It is very relevant....for recruiting. The advantage we had for all of Joe's tenure is now gone. Our disadvantages in facilities (offices and training center) are now front and center without the offset that we had.
Report Spam   Logged

HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 06:11:05 pm »

Yes Lady Fingers, the reason we aren't winning is because AB doesn't have a brand new office to feed his ego. Give it a rest already.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »

Yes Lady Fingers, the reason we aren't winning is because AB doesn't have a brand new office to feed his ego. Give it a rest already.

HK do you know Breiner personally?  Have you ever met him?
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:43 pm »

Chaka, I strongly disagree. It is very relevant....for recruiting. The advantage we had for all of Joe's tenure is now gone. Our disadvantages in facilities (offices and training center) are now front and center without the offset that we had.

I think you misunderstood my point, I simply meant that we have not yet played a PL game yet, so the comparisons are not relevant...YET.

I am well aware of the facilities issue and have been a huge proponent of making the massive upgrades for both JCF and the RHG.  In fact, I actually did a basic schematic of what could be in place and discussed it with Coach Moorhead when he was coach. 

When I worked at Lafayette in their Athletic Department, they developed a full analysis of their athletic facilities vs the rest of the PL and we were with them at the bottom.  They have since far exceeded what we have done and I can tell you for a fact that NO ONE in their admins gives a rats ass about athletics.  That is why I left Easton.   

Our so called competitive edge was due to:
head start on scholarships - gone
winning program - going, going...
NYC location - Ok for some

So our edge is now diminished and unfortunately I see the program submerging to the bottom and looking up at the rest of the league.
Lehigh has much better facilities
Holy Cross is building a monster facility.
Colgate is very nice.
Bucknell is much better
Lafayette is better
Only Georgetown is lower than us and that is because they wont allow scholarships and play in a stadium that is arguably worse than ours.

Report Spam   Logged
fred
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2017, 09:23:21 pm »

Reality-- the team isn't any good

Bad News -- It won't be for years

Good news-- NONE
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: