fordhamfans.com
November 25, 2017, 02:44:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why I no Longer Donate $$ (example 2,465).

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I no Longer Donate $$ (example 2,465).  (Read 534 times)
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 02:04:47 pm »

Not that many years ago, a wealthy Alum, possibly Mr. Walsh of our library fame , authorized a matching fund up to, I believe, $250,00.  He matched all contributions and $500,000 was raised for football. As I recall, he also gave a tidy sum for football when he donated to the library. Seems he played fball on our freshman team under Lombardi who took him aside at season end and told him John you are going to be a success but not in fball.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 02:20:52 pm »

I disagree.  They are not redoing any of these facilities while there is no science center or student center.  Every statement by the administration has made this clear, they are not building new athletic facilities.  They would rightfully be crucified if they replaced JCF and they know it.  The offices are not a challenge, they are offices. Maybe the GC is pissed they have to pay for them instead of the university.

As for a ton I was told they raised a million one year.  Pretty good if true if not then the donors support football narrative is garbage.  Weíve been told for years big donors support football where is the money?   Remeber there was the weight training facility what happened to that?   Did football boosters pull their money because it was for all athletes not just football?   There is a back story here.  I am sure of it. Maybe they had grand designs for a complete redo of the facilities and it got shut down so they wonít donate to this project. 

While it is very helpful and appreciated, I don't think $1 mil is a ton in this day and age and it certainly isn't enough to by much influence.  I believe I read Holy Cross is raising all the money privately for a new facility and had a lead gift of $25 mil.   In the fundraising world that is much closer to "a ton'. 

Failure to support the office campaign gives the University the ability to say, "there isn't enough support from alumni to justify more resources for football."  Which I think they like having in their back pocket.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »

The University has publicly stated they arenít putting more money into athletic facilities. Not sure why they need anything more in their back pocket, they arenít doing it.  They arenít raising money to replace RHG or JCF. Everyone knows this because theyíve said it publicly numerous times.  Maybe that refusal is leading to the offices project not getting done. In the end I donít want to hear the big donors support football nonsense anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »

The University has publicly stated they arenít putting more money into athletic facilities. Not sure why they need anything more in their back pocket, they arenít doing it.  They arenít raising money to replace RHG or JCF. Everyone knows this because theyíve said it publicly numerous times.  Maybe that refusal is leading to the offices project not getting done. In the end I donít want to hear the big donors support football nonsense anymore.

They're trying to raise money for two projects and it's not going all that well although I hear the Fund for Frank is limping somewhat faster.  So, they are trying to raise some money...

Can't help you on the last point.  Don't listen. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:18:10 pm by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:17 pm »

I guess you're more of the high roller mailing lists than I am but I don't believe I've ever recieved any communication from Fordham saying that they aren't putting any more money into athletics.  I think it's pretty obvious but I don't recall the Board, the president or the AD coming out and saying that. 

It's good to have that in their back pocket because it's always better to blame someone else for failure then to look inward.  Human nature...
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »

They're trying to raise money for two projects and it's not going all that well although I hear the Fund for Frank is limping somewhat faster.  So, they are trying to raise some money...

Can't help you on the last point.  Don't listen. 

Thanks I sort of knew they are raising money for these two projects what they have made clear is they are not doing any heavy projects like RHG and JCF. They have publicly said this time and again so there is no need to say there is no support for it.  They told us it is not happening no matter what. Roach has said they are not redoing JCF. Gray came out and said no new arena.  They are not doing it period end of story. No need for the back pocket they are not doing it.  The university isnít paying for offices or a new floor, they donít want to put more money into athletics not sure what more you need  they arenít paying for this stuff. 

As for the last point that really was not to you as I donít recall you saying more of a general donít bring that garbage around anymore it has been debunked.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »

While it is very helpful and appreciated, I don't think $1 mil is a ton in this day and age and it certainly isn't enough to by much influence.  I believe I read Holy Cross is raising all the money privately for a new facility and had a lead gift of $25 mil.   In the fundraising world that is much closer to "a ton'. 

Failure to support the office campaign gives the University the ability to say, "there isn't enough support from alumni to justify more resources for football."  Which I think they like having in their back pocket.

My understanding from HC folks is the lead donor ($25M - $37M) awaited for the passing of Fr. Brooks (cannot recall if he was the impetus for their move to the PL and removal of scholarships at the Wooster Campus) since he/she was against dropping any coin until a commitment was made by the university to invest in their athletic program(s).

If these small projects are having a difficult time producing donors, could it be a silent protest from alums against the past/present and future path of the university?  Would be interesting to know how the general fund is doing YoY...I for one, would never donate for the Grank Campaign but do donate for football every year, although, I am sure the university would rather it move to the general fund or an academic department.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: