fordhamfans.com
October 19, 2017, 05:15:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham @ Colgate

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham @ Colgate  (Read 2135 times)
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »

Sagarin has the Rams as 9 point dogs.

Ranking                       Rating
    190   Colgate (2-4)    41.75
    220   Fordham (1-5)  32.54
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:26:28 pm »

Sagarin has the Rams as 9 point dogs.

Ranking                       Rating
    190   Colgate (2-4)    41.75
    220   Fordham (1-5)  32.54
I'll take Colgate giving 9
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:04:12 pm »

We typically have a ton of trouble with that offense.  Similar to Army I doubt weíll be able to stop them given what Iíve seen thus far.  Expect this one to be ugly
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:44 pm »

They scored on ton of points on Lehigh so tough to tell.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »

I had this game marked as "trouble" even before the start of the season. As PA Ram points out, we usually have major problems defending that offense. Now, given the defensive weakness we have shown through the first six games, and the fact that the game is in Hamilton, this game could be very ugly, indeed. We will have to have enormous turnarounds from recent showings on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball to come away from this one with a win.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
fred
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:23 pm »

we just can't win on the road
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »

Forget about the road. We can't win period.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:12:18 am »

Colgate 47  Fordham 17.

Offense is now stagnating. Too much foot tapping and gyrating. You have a good stable of backs and 2 solid tight ends.  Run it and play with some power. Enough of the millennial offense with the finger pointing, the foot gyrations, moving up to line then back then up. It isn't fooling anyone and it isn't gaining any advantage, it appears to be nothing more than theatrics. You are 1-5 so change it up. Get back to basics, there is enough talent on offense to do that.  Need to use the clock.
Report Spam   Logged
ramjam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:55 am »

Colgate 47  Fordham 17.

Offense is now stagnating. Too much foot tapping and gyrating. You have a good stable of backs and 2 solid tight ends.  Run it and play with some power. Enough of the millennial offense with the finger pointing, the foot gyrations, moving up to line then back then up. It isn't fooling anyone and it isn't gaining any advantage, it appears to be nothing more than theatrics. You are 1-5 so change it up. Get back to basics, there is enough talent on offense to do that.  Need to use the clock.
Hard to disagree with this prediction. The travesty is that the auto bid is totally up for grabs. We blew a golden opportunity vs Lafayette who is in first in the PL at 2-0. Itís not realistic to run the table and head to the playoffs at 6-5. Even then, we might need help. Could be another year where a team with an overall losing record secures the bid. Unfortunately, it will not be us. I am hoping for a competitive finish for the seniors and some silver lining for younger guys to get a chance to get some game reps.
Report Spam   Logged

Be the Hammer, Not the Nail
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:11:10 am »

Colgate 47  Fordham 17.

It isn't fooling anyone and it isn't gaining any advantage, it appears to be nothing more than theatrics.

with the amount of points that have been scored against us this year wouldn't you think that at this point we try to mix things up a bit and try to control the clock with our offense which then keeps our defense off the field?  Easier said than done, but you need to make changes.

Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »

We run the RPO offense. That's it. Now, there may be some things that can be done in terms of the play calling and planning within that offense, but we are not going to become another type of offense in mid-season.  For instance we are not going to be a power running team. For one thing, we don't have a power back (I fear that Chase may be done for a good chunk of the remainder of the season) and we certainly don't seem to have an OL that can bulldoze people.

On offense WYSIWYG.

On defense, I think we saw a little more pressure being brought against Lafayette last week and the backfield had some improvement. But with the game on the line there were breakdowns again and big plays given up.

The coaches have to coach better and the players have to play better.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:17:20 pm »

I missed most of Lafayette  (went to my nephews HS game instead)  so cant comment much on the game itself.
From the stats,  we outgained them ~150 plus yards and held them -6 negative rushing yards and still lost.  Ouch.

I don't think Lafayette will win the PL.  I don't have much hope for a W @ Colgate, but if can beat them, we'll be right back in the PL title race.   crazy.     

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:22:54 pm »

I missed most of Lafayette  (went to my nephews HS game instead)  so cant comment much on the game itself.
From the stats,  we outgained them ~150 plus yards and held them -6 negative rushing yards and still lost.  Ouch.

I don't think Lafayette will win the PL.  I don't have much hope for a W @ Colgate, but if can beat them, we'll be right back in the PL title race.   crazy.     

Doubtful
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:50:19 pm »

Unfortunately,  I agree. 

the HS game had a marching band and painted / end-zones (which by the way) the soccer team also uses for games  (lines in yellow)..  it looked good and  is certainly doable @ Coffey Field.    These are 2 more fairly simple things we should do @ Fordham.   
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »

Regarding the PL bid; at this point ,unfortunately, whoever wins will have the opportunity to get demolished .
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:05 am »

Enough of the millennial offense

1. Using the word millennial is getting a little tired...don't you think?
2. This is the same offense that JoMo ran (obviously 10000x better than Coach B) and it's the offense that's defining college football these days (check out a PSU game for reference).

I'm equally frustrated brother but we aren't going to change the offense....I honestly don't even think that would change much. This team just doesn't have it this year.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 09:38:30 am »

2. This is the same offense that JoMo ran (obviously 10000x better than Coach B) and it's the offense that's defining college football these days (check out a PSU game for reference).

I'm equally frustrated brother but we aren't going to change the offense....I honestly don't even think that would change much. This team just doesn't have it this year.

We had Nebrich, then Anderson, we had Chase, we had a great coach and some very good assistants.  We had scholarships when the rest of the conference was just jumping in and that can't be over estimated.  Those advantages are history and we haven't made up the ground on those losses. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:32 am »

I dont agree. As a coach, it is your job to make adjustments, and "systems"  get coaches fired.  For example, Pecora insisted on his 'system" of raining 3's and ignoring the post. It failed and he got fired, he never changed it up. He ignored Rhoomes for 3 years. Neubauer comes in with the same players, starts using Rhoomes down low and wins 17 games. In my view, and I could be wrong, we have good weapons in backfield with Chase, Palladino and Davis. We also have two pretty good tight ends.

You simply have to make some adjustments to keep that defense off the field. If we didnt have the personnel to change up, then maybe I would agree, but there are some good backs and its obvious we need to keep the D off the field as much as possible. 

Sorry but the foot tapping, fake pass, running up and back to line is fooling absolutely nobody. Line up and run the play. All the toe tapping and finger wagging is doing one thing, causing false starts.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:59 am »

I dont agree. As a coach, it is your job to make adjustments, and "systems"  get coaches fired.  For example, Pecora insisted on his 'system" of raining 3's and ignoring the post. It failed and he got fired, he never changed it up. He ignored Rhoomes for 3 years. Neubauer comes in with the same players, starts using Rhoomes down low and wins 17 games. In my view, and I could be wrong, we have good weapons in backfield with Chase, Palladino and Davis. We also have two pretty good tight ends.

You simply have to make some adjustments to keep that defense off the field. If we didnt have the personnel to change up, then maybe I would agree, but there are some good backs and its obvious we need to keep the D off the field as much as possible. 

Sorry but the foot tapping, fake pass, running up and back to line is fooling absolutely nobody. Line up and run the play. All the toe tapping and finger wagging is doing one thing, causing false starts.

I think you take it too far. I agree that things can be changed or, more realistically, tweaked, but your going on about the foot tapping and running up to the line is taking it too far. The foot tapping is how you set guys in motion quite often and the moving up to the line is what is done when the play is being changed. You can't possibly think that there is no need to call an audible based on the defensive lineup you see when you line up to run the play. Changing things mid-season is much harder than the situation you mentioned with Neubauer.

I think our O line is a big issue, so not sure that pounding the ball is going to work. You don't say pound the ball, but that is the impression I get when you mention our backs and lining up and just running the play.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 10:27:19 am »

Have to disagree Ace, the gyrations by Anderson seem to have absolutely no effect whatsoever. It appears to be as much histrionics as it does some sort of effective re-positioning. He is waving hands at guys and then 2 seconds later on his back. 

The O line may be a problem and it certainly is with pass protection. No way a D1 college team with 3 solid backs cant run the ball more and take a more traditional approach. Its not hard to change that up and it's silly, in my opinion, to think that a D1 college team cant run the ball more mid season because of their "system."  its not rocket science for college players to switch it up a bit and run more. whether it would be effective is another story but you stick to your "system" and go 1-10, you will no longer be around to implement your system.
Report Spam   Logged
toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 10:32:29 am »

What is the status of Corey Caddle?  Not on the two-deep for Colgate this week.  did he sustain a significant injury?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 10:34:37 am »

Have to disagree Ace, the gyrations by Anderson seem to have absolutely no effect whatsoever. It appears to be as much histrionics as it does some sort of effective re-positioning. He is waving hands at guys and then 2 seconds later on his back. 

The O line may be a problem and it certainly is with pass protection. No way a D1 college team with 3 solid backs cant run the ball more and take a more traditional approach. Its not hard to change that up and it's silly, in my opinion, to think that a D1 college team cant run the ball more mid season because of their "system."  its not rocket science for college players to switch it up a bit and run more. whether it would be effective is another story but you stick to your "system" and go 1-10, you will no longer be around to implement your system.

Of course they can run it more. They have run plays in the system and can call those plays, assuming they don't audible out of them.

We can agree to disagree on what you call the gyrations and histrionics. They serve a purpose and concentrating on that is taking away from your legitimate point that the play calling leaves something to be desired. It is difficult to run the ball with a bad O line though. Keep running and running and it is even easier to stop.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 10:41:19 am »

We can agree to disagree on what you call the gyrations and histrionics. They serve a purpose and concentrating on that is taking away from your legitimate point that the play calling leaves something to be desired. It is difficult to run the ball with a bad O line though. Keep running and running and it is even easier to stop.

So you dont think the high snaps and illegal procedures have anything to do with that?  We run down the play clock on every snap. The QB is chirping to everyone who is lined up, the players are moving around, the offense seems confused and even with all the movement, the plays are being blown up. What I see is an offense that is gradually getting worse as the season goes on. Sometimes you need to simplify things.  Let the players use their talent. Don't over-coach. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:49:19 am by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 10:47:57 am »

So you dont think the high snaps and illegal procedures have anything to do with that?

To me high snaps are an issue with the snapper. So much football is run out of the gun, especially in college that guys get to the NFL never having played under center. Are you saying that you want them to run under center? That takes a lot of practice. And don't tell me it is easy b/c it's simply not something that is done very often at lower levels and that exchange takes work to get right. Illegal procedure is also on the player. That's not really where I would concentrate. To me things could be much more simple than you make them; just opt for the run more often. The run is only going to work if the O line can open holes though. We know we have the backs.

p.s. Hard to reply to you when you modify your post to add 3 or 4 sentences. (I put that comment in your post initially by mistake)
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 10:49:25 am »

Ok ACE, but the O Line right now cant protect Anderson, in the passing game, so how could it be worse?

You have a very good 5th yr QB. Albeit hurt, the best back in the nation at this level, 2 other very good backs, 2 solid tight ends and a slew of good receivers with experience. They have only produced 10 points in each of the past two games, respectively.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:55 am »

Ok ACE, but the O Line right now cant protect Anderson, in the passing game, so how could it be worse?

I already said they should try to run more. I don't think they need to change the entire system. Say they change it, what do they do when the run starts getting stuffed and they have to audibleize out of system they are not used to passing out of?
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 10:53:18 am »

The quick hit passes on the slant to the tight ends appears to be effective. Both tight ends are pretty good. I would keep hitting those and keep the clock moving with short hits and runs....stay in bounds...keep that D off the field if you can........10 points per game with all that talent is concerning.....
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:19 am »

The quick hit passes on the slant to the tight ends appears to be effective. Both tight ends are pretty good. I would keep hitting those and keep the clock moving with short hits and runs....stay in bounds...keep that D off the field if you can........

I agree. I think those things are much more easily changed.

That said, I am not holding my breath. We said a lot of the same last season when Odom was not targeted enough despite the mismatch he presented.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 10:57:41 am »

Well, maybe Im so vocal in suggesting that he change it up because I think the poor guy is coaching for his job these next few games.  If he doesn't change it up and we go 1-10 or 2-9, he is going to get fired. So if it were me, i would consider making some changes to try and save my job. 
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 01:59:44 pm »

This is not a guy who knows how to adjust
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: