fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:38:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. Miami (OH) Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/10/17 at RHG

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. Miami (OH) Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/10/17 at RHG  (Read 3949 times)
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »

Very Ordinary Offensive Ball Game from Rams; thought Tavares was going to save us from Embarrasing Defeat, but Will miised free throws as did other Rams.  Bummer!
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Bam 76
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »

Watching the game, I think everyone but the coach could see it was slipping away. Terrible coaching once again, no matter how bad the shooting was. When will he start calling a time out to stop runs. He's stubborn, and it's costing the team. He continues to allow easy baskets at critical times and does not do anything to correct the rebounding problem.  I could go on, but I'll save it for another day.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:41 pm »

Watching the game, I think everyone but the coach could see it was slipping away. Terrible coaching once again, no matter how bad the shooting was. When will he start calling a time out to stop runs. He's stubborn, and it's costing the team. He continues to allow easy baskets at critical times and does not do anything to correct the rebounding problem.  I could go on, but I'll save it for another day.

Do us a favor, say it now and spare us in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:40 pm »

Projectile vomit, just disgusting. Enjoy the 26 degree walk to your car from RHG.

Yes, Peter, it was frigid.

That was an awful basketball team I watched tonight. Probably two awful teams.

Can't shoot (even FTs), horrible interior defense, will get annihilated on the boards.

And Neubauer was badly outcoached. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2017, 10:13:43 pm »

He chose to leave Fordham. I am not sure why he is being brought up in a game thread.

Because I watched the game and it was interesting to see a Fordham player playing for someone else. Nothing against Fordham or AA...
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »

Because I watched the game and it was interesting to see a Fordham player playing for someone else. Nothing against Fordham or AA...

The point is that it's the Fordham/Miami thread, not a UCONN/AA update/Fordham transfer thread.

Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »

How do you lose the game when you win the turnover battle more than 2 to 1 and outshooting the opponent (albeit barely)? Apparently, by losing the rebound margin more than 2 to 1, shooting a ghastly 12% from 3, and shooting 50% from the line (Did we go 0 for 7 to start and finish 7 for 14?)

If the turnovers are that much in our favor and the opponent only shoots 22% from 3 and we don't win, when WILL we?
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »

Just watching this train wreck tonight, I think it's (more than) fair to say that right now this is not a good team. The interior game was zero. I don't care about the lip service that the A-10 is a "guard-oriented conference." Really? There's plenty of big men in the A-10, and plenty of film for opposing coaches to watch. They will destroy us down low unless we figure out who the hell is going to watch the middle.

A Ryan Rhoomes would be perfect for a team like this one right now.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »

Very poor game one from Chartouny and Evans. I don't expect that to be the norm at all.  This is the style we will play this year so those who don't approve should probably jump ship now.  Unfortunately we deviated from the style in that there were too many possessions the last 5 minutes, because we didn't use enough clock or committed bad turnovers (JC).  To be in the game at all shooting horribly from 3 was solely because most of the game we controlled tempo.  If we hit 35% from 3 we will win a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:02 pm »

Raut 30 minutes v. Havsa 7. Wow.
Hicks 3 shots in 24 minutes.
Chuba 2 rebounds in 21 minutes.
Evans 2 of 10 from the field.
Team 3 of 24 from 3-pt. 3 of 24.
Outrebounded by 28.

Miami will probably win 6 games all season.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:22 pm »

Unacceptable.  12 Point lead we decided game was over.   The Slanina early shot clock threes were horrible shots and were the equivalent of turnovers. Horrible game for Evans.  Are we looking at Hawk redux where if he scores we win if he does not we lose?   Chartouny was bad down the stretch.  I know we will be a bad rebounding team but Ohams Slanina and Bunting had 4 between them.  Unnacceptabke. Only good thing game 1 but man canít they make life fun for a little while?  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:53 pm »

Very poor game one from Chartouny and Evans. I don't expect that to be the norm at all.  This is the style we will play this year so those who don't approve should probably jump ship now.  Unfortunately we deviated from the style in that there were too many possessions the last 5 minutes, because we didn't use enough clock or committed bad turnovers (JC).  To be in the game at all shooting horribly from 3 was solely because most of the game we controlled tempo.  If we hit 35% from 3 we will win a lot.

Right on the money. Let's move on. It's a long season.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:59 pm »

Rebounding is a puzzle. We concede most of our offensive rebounds by getting back to play defense. I can understand why we do that. What I cannot understand is the rebounding difference on their offensive boards.
We need to keep the ball out of Chartouny's hands. Way too many turnovers.
GO RAMS.

we got out rebounded by +28   .. because our bigs SP and Ohams are often playing 20 ft away from the basket on D.   

JC is a good college guard. However his inbounding the ball skills and decisions are awful.  He is a turnover machine.  I don't if the internal clock in his head runs fast, is careless or plain panics.  he did it many many games from last year - hasn't improved.   
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2017, 11:33:42 pm »

we got out rebounded by +28   .. because our bigs SP and Ohams are often playing 20 ft away from the basket on D.   

JC is a good college guard. However his inbounding the ball skills and decisions are awful.  He is a turnover machine.  I don't if the internal clock in his head runs fast, is careless or plain panics.  he did it many many games from last year - hasn't improved.   

They rarely trapped. Tavares had 7 boards he trapped more than our bigs. They got beat on the boards because they played soft.  Chartouny had 3 TO tonight not horrible but they came at the worst times.  He did not turn it over at all on inbounds tonight. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2017, 12:00:48 am »

Nothing makes me more nervous than Fordham fan optimism.

your nerves were well placed    horrible game 1    I know pre season is optimism time and players' descriptions often exceed their abilities, but, considering the opposition, we laid a major egg     will see what Monday brings but would like to see more Hicks minutes    front court a big time concern
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:54 am »

Was very upset at how last season ended but for whatever reason I was also very upbeat as I was walking into the RHG this evening. I liked the new chairs behind the benches but was disappointed with the turnout. The student section was about 75-80 % filled with both the band and students but it was alot less filled in the second half. As for the game, it was like I thought it was going to be early in the season with us struggling to find points to replace what we lost, having rebounding difficulties and new players having to figure out roles and cohesiveness but we should have won this game and I'm concerned because the comp is going to get better real soon.
     I believe we gave the game away by having poor possessions during the last eight minutes. Shot selections were atrocious and I was hoping that maybe we would press a little full court. There were some positives as Raut played an ok game after a bad shot attempt early in the game, taveras looks better and Hicks looks like he can contribute, even though Neubauer yanked him after he had just hit a shot. There are however a bunch of weaknesses and without re-hashing them I think they will prove to be too much to overcome this season. I do think that we will be better at the end of the season but I think we blew this one tonight and that pisses me off. P.S. The crowd should have been much better for a Friday night opening day doubleheader, especially with the kids on campus.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2017, 12:37:36 am »

Right on the money. Let's move on. It's a long season.

Welcome back.... +1000
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:08 am »

My early optimism was shattered tonight after this performance.  Albeit it was only one game, the weaknesses in this team are very apparent. 

First and foremost, if your game plan is predicated on the 3 point shot, you had better do better than a 12.5% output (3 out of 24). 

Secondly, I for one, believe that big men do make a big difference especially on defense and on rebounding.  Our 3 bigs (Slanina, Ohams & Bunting) combined for a mighty 4 rebounds.  Overall being out rebounded 53 to 25 by a not particularly big team is very worrisome for the future.

With about 4 or 5 minutes to go in the game we were up by 12, 60-48.  How we let that slip away is unbelievable, allowing interior penetration on a number of consecutive plays if I'm not mistaken.  Where was our interior defense?

Miami themselves appeared to me to be an awful team and if we play the rest of the season like we did tonight, especially in the A-10, this may make the football season look good.

Anyway, I'm hoping we are not really this bad and that this was an opening game anomaly.
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:34 am »

Young team...this will be a learning year. Lack of an inside presence on both sides will be an issue all year unless we hit 3s. A-10 had some rough games today. Bonnies lost to an experienced Niagara team. Richmond got handled by Delaware. Dayton escaped with a 1 point win over a talented Ball State team. Mason beat Lafayette by 2 and Umass by 5 against Lowell.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2017, 06:59:30 am »

Young team...this will be a learning year. Lack of an inside presence on both sides will be an issue all year unless we hit 3s. A-10 had some rough games today. Bonnies lost to an experienced Niagara team. Richmond got handled by Delaware. Dayton escaped with a 1 point win over a talented Ball State team. Mason beat Lafayette by 2 and Umass by 5 against Lowell.

Lack of inside presence "by design."  Between Ohams, Slanina and Bunting, we could likely play that way, but its not the system. Could one of those three (3) emerge  as a Ryan Rhoomes and force a change to the system? Possibly....but I think this will be the way we play for the time being....Im never surprised by an opening day loss.....good to see Tavaeras stepping it up.... 2 rebounds for Ohams wont get it done...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:38:17 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2017, 07:48:37 am »

Pm was right.  I was saying for the last 8 min this felt like sacred heart redux.  Awful start to the season .  Looking at our last 5 games, our team steals defeat from the jaws of victory like no other team I've witnessed. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2017, 07:49:40 am »

side note, tuned in to fordhamsports see the highlights and had to suffer a football commercial for 2017 season tickets.....pssst.....season is over today..... get that crap off of there...

3-24 from 3 point range?  good lawd. i really, really hope this is just typical fordham slow start....but another year of mindlessly tossing up 3 pointers is going to shut my interest down pretty early.....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:12:03 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:12 am »

Hoping this will serve as a learning experience for a mostly inexperienced team. We are not necessarily young, just not very experienced and our most experienced guy did not have his usual game going. I also don't think we will continue to shoot that poorly from 3. The rebounding will continue to be an issue, but hopefully not as badly as it was last night.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2017, 08:39:07 am »

This obsession with the 3 ball is mind numbing.  The schools that can do it effectively have superior athletes and shooters. I understand the game has changed and this is the biggest part of the change but you can still win playing traditional at times. We proved it with Rhoomes. I really hope we are not just going to heave it up every night from 3 and hope for the best...if we do that, given the lack of interior D, you may as well just play 5 guards.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:13 am »

I think there is a better chance of us playing 5 guards than abandoning the propensity for the 3.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:58 am »

side note, tuned in to fordhamsports see the highlights and had to suffer a football commercial for 2017 season tickets.....pssst.....season is over today..... get that crap off of there...

3-24 from 3 point range?  good lawd. i really, really hope this is just typical fordham slow start....but another year of mindlessly tossing up 3 pointers is going to shut my interest down pretty early.....

Season is over next week, btw, though truthfully it was over weeks ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2017, 08:44:10 am »

First thing to learn is up 12 you have to keep extending the lead.  We got complacent. Second thing is that you have to be physical on the boards.  As Ace said we donít have to be great but we canít have performances like chuba Slanina bunting gave us.

On coaching the set when we were up 1 with the ball was pathetic.  No purpose no flow which ended up in a long contested three resulting in a long rebound and run out.  That was unacceptable.

In the post game Neubauer said we took some long threes but also said he does not mind any one shooting an open three.  This is the last time i will say it: Slanina early threes are not good shots.   Unfortunately the coach disagrees.  If it is open he has the green light

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2017, 08:47:45 am »

This obsession with the 3 ball is mind numbing.  The schools that can do it effectively have superior athletes and shooters. I understand the game has changed and this is the biggest part of the change but you can still win playing traditional at times. We proved it with Rhoomes. I really hope we are not just going to heave it up every night from 3 and hope for the best...if we do that, given the lack of interior D, you may as well just play 5 guards.

One thing: the three ball is the great equalizer for teams with less athleticism. Slanina Bunting Ohams are not Rhoomes. We are built to shoot threes.  That is who we are. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:15 am »

One thing: the three ball is the great equalizer for teams with less athleticism. Slanina Bunting Ohams are not Rhoomes. We are built to shoot threes.  That is who we are. 

I disagree.....it is only the great equalizer if you can make them, and for a decade or more, we have not be able to make them.

Rhoomes was an average big with modest numbers who suddenly flourished and dominated as a senior....a lot due to his determination....but could Slanina, Bunting or Ohams be effective down low? Hard to say, since they don't get the chance.....Rhoomes never got the chance either until Pecora left.....so its still a question mark on those 3 guys, maybe they can and maybe they cant.....I would like to see them get a shot down low, but I hardly think that will happen......but Rhoomes was not known as an offensive, low post guy until his senior year....and he dominated due to the dearth of bigs in the league....
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:02 am »

I disagree.....it is only the great equalizer if you can make them, and for a decade, we cant.

Rhoomes was an average big with modest numbers who flourished and dominated as a senior....Could Slanina, Bunting or Ohams be effective down low? Hard to say, since they dont get the chance.....Rhoomes never got the chance either until Pecora left.....so its still a question mark on those 3 guys, maybe they can and maybe they cant.....

There was nothing average about Rhoomes.  He was held back by horrible coaching.  Ohams got the ball on the block once made a good move but did not finish.  His offensive game is not good right now.  Hopefully it improves. 

Look we were up 12 shooting like garbage.  Problem was we took our foot off the gas then fell apart.  Plenty of blame to around but a bad shooting night is not going to change our approach. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: