fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:08:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University  (Read 6376 times)
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:27:35 pm »

Just got my Maroon Club fundraising mailer.  I was really surprised to see that this year's opponent for Homecoming will be "Holy Cross University".  I thought Fordham was going to play "College of the Holy Cross" from Worcester as Fordham has done at some point during every season since joining the PL.  However, that Holy Cross is a college and not a university.  Knowing that Fordham wouldn't commit an extremely bone-headed mistake like incorrectly referring to a college we've been playing for over a quarter century as a university and not catching that in the proofreading, I therefore figured there must be a Holy Cross University somewhere that I didn't yet know about. 

Turns out there is a "University of Holy Cross" located down in Louisiana, which I presume is what Fordham must be listing as "Holy Cross University" on the Maroon Club mailer.  Website is http://uhcno.edu/  The URL for the "Organizations and Sports" page is http://uhcno.edu/stulife/organizations.html

Given how far our program has fallen, it was a wise choice for Fordham to schedule this opponent instead of that other Holy Cross up in Worcester.  UHC appears to be a very poor school, with no athletics department, athletics facilities, or football program (unless you count intramural flag football).  I assume Fordham is paying this school good money to send its team up to the Bronx so as to produce a guaranteed win for those ruthless Fordham Homecoming crowds.  While I can't imagine what kind of team UHC will be pulling together, I do however very much like our chances in this game.   Wink

Go Fordham, beat UHC!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:57:48 pm »

Just got my Maroon Club fundraising mailer.  I was really surprised to see that this year's opponent for Homecoming will be "Holy Cross University".  I thought Fordham was going to play "College of the Holy Cross" from Worcester as Fordham has done at some point during every season since joining the PL.  However, that Holy Cross is a college and not a university.  Knowing that Fordham wouldn't commit an extremely bone-headed mistake like incorrectly referring to a college we've been playing for over a quarter century as a university and not catching that in the proofreading, I therefore figured there must be a Holy Cross University somewhere that I didn't yet know about. 

Turns out there is a "University of Holy Cross" located down in Louisiana, which I presume is what Fordham must be listing as "Holy Cross University" on the Maroon Club mailer.  Website is http://uhcno.edu/  The URL for the "Organizations and Sports" page is http://uhcno.edu/stulife/organizations.html

Given how far our program has fallen, it was a wise choice for Fordham to schedule this opponent instead of that other Holy Cross up in Worcester.  UHC appears to be a very poor school, with no athletics department, athletics facilities, or football program (unless you count intramural flag football).  I assume Fordham is paying this school good money to send its team up to the Bronx so as to produce a guaranteed win for those ruthless Fordham Homecoming crowds.  While I can't imagine what kind of team UHC will be pulling together, I do however very much like our chances in this game.   Wink

Go Fordham, beat UHC!

It all starts with attention to detail, which we have none of.  A thousand mistakes/little things adds up to losses on the football schedule.  This is more embarrassing than the UHAUL equipment truck with graffiti spray painted all over it.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:08 am »

Fordham is a solid school with a lot to be proud of. A significant portion of applicants that got in fifteen years ago, would not today; and the same can be said fifteen years prior to that. That's progress.

With that said, there are far too many inadequate employees that continue to butt fumble Fordham's identity via Athletics/Marketing, or otherwise. Prime example 1A right here. This sort of error is egregious, and common place for this "department" - often without any repercussion, let alone correction. Would this fly at Iona? Monmouth? Not a chance.

I enjoyed my Fordham time and for the most part, have few regrets that I didn't go out to Pepperdine or UCD, but Fordham still has too many low-level pawns in the shop to fully legitimize an upper-tiered effort. It's consistently a grade below, and slightly off the mark.

Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:58 am »

One correction, I found my mailer as I was sorting through some piles of papers on my desk, I didn't just now receive it.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:48:51 am »

It’s a dig on Holy Cross.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:51 am »

Itís a dig on Holy Cross.

It is a complete Butt Fumble in classic Rose Hill Fashion.....

The Butt Fumble may replace my Fire, Ready, Aim from time to time with me, but at the end of the day this is incompetency at its highest levels.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »

Didnt Rudy Ruettiger go to Holy Cross in Indiana?  Maybe we can carry him off Jack Coffey Field.....
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »

Many years ago, when he was still playing, Magic Johnson addressed a basketball clinic being held at Fordham.

He started by saying, "I'm happy to be here at the University of Fordham."
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:46:17 pm »

Fordham is a solid school with a lot to be proud of. A significant portion of applicants that got in fifteen years ago, would not today; and the same can be said fifteen years prior to that. That's progress.

With that said, there are far too many inadequate employees that continue to butt fumble Fordham's identity via Athletics/Marketing, or otherwise. Prime example 1A right here. This sort of error is egregious, and common place for this "department" - often without any repercussion, let alone correction. Would this fly at Iona? Monmouth? Not a chance.

I enjoyed my Fordham time and for the most part, have few regrets that I didn't go out to Pepperdine or UCD, but Fordham still has too many low-level pawns in the shop to fully legitimize an upper-tiered effort. It's consistently a grade below, and slightly off the mark.

To further expound on my initial thoughts/confessions, since the prior two lines offer nothing...

While there are dozens of influential older alums that are the lifeblood of the school and program, there are also quite a few losers that are too involved. I say that bluntly, but truthfully. Fordham is a far better school than it was 30-40-50 years ago. Many of Fordham's current competitors don't have a comparable pool of underwhelming alums. Similar theme for current employees. The majority of recent hires seem to be capable, but there are still too many losers swimming into the B-gap and butt-fumbling the Fordham brand. This is an unusual dichotomy. Ultimately, it doesn't impact me directly, but as an informed observer, I think it's pathetic.

Last note on alums, IF better people could be put into place within Athletics/Marketing/misc. (so that you don't have a Holy Cross-messaging fiasco, or some obscene football marketing ploy)  you would have HUNDREDS of influential 35-55 year-old alums come back into play and make that investment. Too many have stayed away (and rightfully so) because of the ineptitude. It'll take more change, and at least another cycle.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »

Fordham is a far better school than it was 30-40-50 years ago.

I'm not sure that's true.  Fifty years ago, Fordham had tougher admission standards than it does today.  I recall seeing an article from the late 1960s that reported Fordham's average SAT score at about 1250 -- which translates into about 1310 on the modern, re-centered SAT scoring.  It was the steady fall of the Bronx that, over time, affected Fordham's selectivity.  The school's selectivity has been gradually returning to its 1960s status, but it's not quite there yet.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:42 pm »

I'm not sure that's true.  Fifty years ago, Fordham had tougher admission standards than it does today.  I recall seeing an article from the late 1960s that reported Fordham's average SAT score at about 1250 -- which translates into about 1310 on the modern, re-centered SAT scoring.  It was the steady fall of the Bronx that, over time, affected Fordham's selectivity.  The school's selectivity has been gradually returning to its 1960s status, but it's not quite there yet.

60s were 50+ years ago. Not relevant to my point at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 03:53:08 pm »

60s were 50+ years ago. Not relevant to my point at all.

Sure it is relevant to your point. You implied that students from 50 years ago aren't as smart as students from today.  And that is just not true.  Fordham in 2017 is still easier to which to gain admission than Fordham in 1967.

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 04:17:08 pm »

To further expound on my initial thoughts/confessions, since the prior two lines offer nothing...

While there are dozens of influential older alums that are the lifeblood of the school and program, there are also quite a few losers that are too involved. I say that bluntly, but truthfully. Fordham is a far better school than it was 30-40-50 years ago. Many of Fordham's current competitors don't have a comparable pool of underwhelming alums. Similar theme for current employees. The majority of recent hires seem to be capable, but there are still too many losers swimming into the B-gap and butt-fumbling the Fordham brand. This is an unusual dichotomy. Ultimately, it doesn't impact me directly, but as an informed observer, I think it's pathetic.

Last note on alums, IF better people could be put into place within Athletics/Marketing/misc. (so that you don't have a Holy Cross-messaging fiasco, or some obscene football marketing ploy)  you would have HUNDREDS of influential 35-55 year-old alums come back into play and make that investment. Too many have stayed away (and rightfully so) because of the ineptitude. It'll take more change, and at least another cycle.

I agree there's a generally sad contribution from a whole generation of alums but I don't think it necessarily correlates to average incoming SAT scores or overall wattage of one group of alums over another.  If you believe, as many do, that sports are a key driver of most school's camaraderie, spirit and/or connection then it's the fact that decades worth of Fordham alums have not felt that connection, save for a 2 - 3 Penders run here, a 2 - 3 year Macarchuck run there and a 2 - 3 year run from a Clawson or Moorhead in a sport where we don't even compete at the highest level.  I've given up trying very hard to get my fellow alums, many of whom are very successful, to take time away from family or their focus on other programs and other sports or interests, to get behind things at Fordham.  1971 was the high water mark for our marquee sport.  The 1930's was the high water mark for football.  That leaves decades worth of alums who have found other things to put their time and money towards than Fordham athletics.  So, I'd argue that their lack of contribution is not because you're (collectively) so smart and they're so (collectively) dumb, though.  It's because they're smart enough to put their money, time and energy into something other than a half assed program.

That said, I agree with you about the ripple effect that would come from much better people and planning from the athletic dept.  It will take time to have an effect, though.  Otherwise, my guess is that you'll look around you someday and realize all of the wealthy, talented alums you graduated with having very little connection to the school and some recent grad talking about how you're all a bunch of dumbasses!  Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 04:39:05 pm »

That said, I agree with you about the ripple effect that would come from much better people and planning from the athletic dept.  It will take time to have an effect, though.  Otherwise, my guess is that you'll look around you someday and realize all of the wealthy, talented alums you graduated with having very little connection to the school and some recent grad talking about how you're all a bunch of dumbasses!  Grin 

Quite possible, but my judgmental side (which dominates) sees and hears too many from a loser pool. They may have gotten into Fordham in 1975 or 1985, or even 1995, but they wouldn't today by a long shot. They'd go to Iona, or St. John's, or Monmouth. Given my experience, I don't see these faces at our peer schools. Similarly, there are some that work within Athletics/Marketing/etc that I wouldn't spend 10 minutes with in an interview for clerical work, let alone hire to be in charge of branding efforts. Again, this is my experience.
Report Spam   Logged

PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 05:09:12 pm »

Quite possible, but my judgmental side (which dominates) sees and hears too many from a loser pool. They may have gotten into Fordham in 1975 or 1985, or even 1995, but they wouldn't today by a long shot. They'd go to Iona, or St. John's, or Monmouth. Given my experience, I don't see these faces at our peer schools. Similarly, there are some that work within Athletics/Marketing/etc that I wouldn't spend 10 minutes with in an interview for clerical work, let alone hire to be in charge of branding efforts. Again, this is my experience.

There are so many successful Fordham alums not connected with the school that it's the performance of the program, not the capacity of the grads from that time period.  Trust me, there are alums graduating from Fordham now that will make future Fordham alums wonder how they ever got in. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:19:52 am »

Technically BC is a University and they Identify as such. The CHC only offers a BA, and apparently no graduate programs. Wiki says they only offer a BA, I'm not sure how they offer majors in Physics, Accounting, and Business.

I suspect a typo. Most people just hear "Holy Cross"
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 08:31:50 am »

Straight of of the Father McMoustache Credo........... ............oh we are rating at 65 now and you were 110  back in the 90's so we are better, nah, nah, nah.....laughable.......loser thinking which is exactly why the recent alums  probably hated their college experience......real world news ......up until @2000  Fordham (grads) had the largest number of corporate CEOs in America, only to be eclipsed by Harvard.....you have no idea what schools accepted or rejected or whatever from people from our era........

Here is a newsflash......the 60's, 70's, 80's Fordham was far different than today's Fordham because it was a very affordable school with more than half of its population being commuters.....middle and working class kids with very good grades who simply couldn't afford pricier schools.....nothing whatsoever to do with acceptance or non acceptance...so if some rich kids with mommy and daddy writing checks want to fill out McShane's moustache.....then go ahead and continue to pay Cadillac prices for a Ford Pinto education......
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:07:52 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
novaguy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 11:55:35 am »

WOW; surprised at the negative views of F's academic rating.  It surely can be said that many Catholic schools are more competitive  today than 20 or so years ago, but that doesn't mean that that they are lesser institutions.  In the US News ranking of "National Universities" only 4 Catholic schools are noted in the top 50, but Fordham is not far behind.  I am sure other rankings show different results and equally certain that F is a FIRST CLASS institution.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:24 pm »

WOW; surprised at the negative views of F's academic rating.  It surely can be said that many Catholic schools are more competitive  today than 20 or so years ago, but that doesn't mean that that they are lesser institutions.  In the US News ranking of "National Universities" only 4 Catholic schools are noted in the top 50, but Fordham is not far behind.  I am sure other rankings show different results and equally certain that F is a FIRST CLASS institution.

You think it is worth the current price?  I believe the last stat from Forbes had us at #8 in the country in terms of cost.

All these millennial  metrics are preposterous.  Up 10 points one year, down 15 another.......we were stronger in 2015 than in 1992...idiotic...Father McShanisms.... it means nothing whatsoever.  ...... And the grads from the aforementioned eras have proven themselves, let's see what the current generation does, after they finish paying off their loans in 50 years.

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

Technically BC is a University and they Identify as such. The CHC only offers a BA, and apparently no graduate programs. Wiki says they only offer a BA, I'm not sure how they offer majors in Physics, Accounting, and Business.

I suspect a typo. Most people just hear "Holy Cross"

Yes, I'm sure it's a typo.  I'm just being facetious here, but to make a point that it just shouldn't have happened.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 07:08:37 pm »

Straight of of the Father McMoustache Credo........... ............oh we are rating at 65 now and you were 110  back in the 90's so we are better, nah, nah, nah.....laughable.......loser thinking which is exactly why the recent alums  probably hated their college experience......real world news ......up until @2000  Fordham (grads) had the largest number of corporate CEOs in America, only to be eclipsed by Harvard.....you have no idea what schools accepted or rejected or whatever from people from our era........

Here is a newsflash......the 60's, 70's, 80's Fordham was far different than today's Fordham because it was a very affordable school with more than half of its population being commuters.....middle and working class kids with very good grades who simply couldn't afford pricier schools.....nothing whatsoever to do with acceptance or non acceptance...so if some rich kids with mommy and daddy writing checks want to fill out McShane's moustache.....then go ahead and continue to pay Cadillac prices for a Ford Pinto education......

You are speaking to an '08 grad who doesn't get that the Fordham "of 50 years ago" was the Fordham of 1967.   Cheesy

In addition to being an excellent educational value, Fordham's faculty in those years included many of best minds in their academic fields.  To anyone who seriously compared schools, Fordham presented a big bang at a very reasonable price.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 07:48:18 pm »

And it was a great congenial place, now its a bunch of McShanebots.  We enjoyed our college experience and cherish it. Now its the stepford wives quoting rankings, how sad. Fordham was our life and not a ranking number or a metric......how sad..truly,  its sad.......god I only wish the current students could have expereinced the Fordham of our era....what a terrific place it was....
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:36 am »

85/Lurker, I don't think that we attended the same university. The Fordham that I recall was a marginally adequate commuter school that was a slightly better alternative to Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson. I do recall a lot of residential students having some misconceived and delusional notion that the place had an Ivy-type reputation. I'm guessing you two were residents who bought into that BS.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:46 am »

You are speaking to an '08 grad who doesn't get that the Fordham "of 50 years ago" was the Fordham of 1967.   Cheesy

I had said 30-50 years ago, not 50+
Report Spam   Logged

jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:06 am »

85/Lurker, I don't think that we attended the same university. The Fordham that I recall was a marginally adequate commuter school that was a slightly better alternative to Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson. I do recall a lot of residential students having some misconceived and delusional notion that the place had an Ivy-type reputation. I'm guessing you two were residents who bought into that BS.

When I attended CBA Fordham was primarily a commuter school.  Do not recall anyone suggesting we were a pseudo Ivy, however, some did consider ourselves a step up from St. John's & Manhattan.  Not a high bar.  Some in FC considered themselves a cut above the rest of us. They received a jolt when my classmate Mario Gabelli got elected as head of the Student Council, or whatever it was called. First ever non FC to achieve that position.

st
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:52 am »

I attended the college in the early 60ís. At that time we were considered the best Catholic College in the NE. The decline started after that.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58:08 am »

Missing the point entirely.

The issue was the statement that students from our era would not get accepted to Fordham today. That is not the case for many.  The demographic is different, and largely it is different due to cost. Financial support and student loans were not as easily available back in those days. So a lot of really smart kids ended up at City College or a place like Fordham ,which was a real bargain at the time for the full college experience.

But again this is McShanism 101. Silly metrics and we are better than you were and all this hiding behind the moustache.  You have the 8th most expensive school in the country. Is Fordham the 8th best school in the country? Comparing eras is fruitless, especially when the people doing the comparisons werent even alive during some the eras. Its Fordham. Period.  There will always be some older wealthy alums trying to wield influence over athletics. How you handle them is the salient issue.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 09:16:57 am »

I attended the college in the early 60ís. At that time we were considered the best Catholic College in the NE. The decline started after that.

That sounds right. I have a father and network of uncles that are Rose Hill graduates, both within and outside of the 30-50 range that I mentioned. Bottom line is regardless of expense or whatever inner politics you may be sour on, the trend from 2003 to present is enormous, probably surmounting the leap of the decade prior. The makeup of a 73-93 graduate is a full tier off 98-18. I canít think of a comparable school that has improved the quality of average entry as Fordham has.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 09:22:49 am »

https://www.fordham.edu/info/25809/business_alumni

I guess all of these folks are not as smart as the modern students at Fordham. Someone should tell them. Lot of 70's and 80's grads, too bad I guess they wouldnt get accepted today, they would have to go to Nassau Community. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 09:27:13 am »

https://www.fordham.edu/info/25809/business_alumni

I guess all of these folks are not as smart as the modern students at Fordham. Someone should tell them.

At one point Fordham had the reputation of pumping out blue collar students... people that were smart, but also worked their butts off and ultimately became very successful at their craft.

I prefer that Fordham to the impressive on paper kids we see now.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: