fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:22:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University  (Read 6376 times)
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 09:29:41 am »

People underestimate the cost factor. It was a real big deal in the 70's and 80's. Financial aid was very hard to get and student loans were very limited. Fordham was a good value back then.  Plus, unlike today's McShanebots, the overall atmosphere and culture was a big factor in one choosing a school, not just metrics and ratings. Too bad the current students cant experience the Fordham of our era, it was a terrific place.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 09:52:39 am »

At one point Fordham had the reputation of pumping out blue collar students... people that were smart, but also worked their butts off and ultimately became very successful at their craft.

I prefer that Fordham to the impressive on paper kids we see now.

Interesting, some good points.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 10:55:45 am »

85/Lurker, I don't think that we attended the same university. The Fordham that I recall was a marginally adequate commuter school that was a slightly better alternative to Hofstra and Fairleigh Dickinson. I do recall a lot of residential students having some misconceived and delusional notion that the place had an Ivy-type reputation. I'm guessing you two were residents who bought into that BS.

You're just wrong. Given the things you post, I wonder if you are really a Fordham guy.

When did Hofstra or FDU ever have faculty members like Marshall McLuhan; Margaret Mead; Quentin Lauer; W. Norris Clarke; Walter Kendrick; William Hogan; Joseph Fitzpatrick; Avery Dulles; Mark Massa; and I'm just scratching the surface because I'm busy.

The Fordham I attended allowed you to be taught, as an undergraduate, by many of the absolute best minds in their fields at a most reasonable price.  I took many classes with professors who were considered at the very top of the their fields.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 10:57:37 am »

When I attended CBA Fordham was primarily a commuter school.  Do not recall anyone suggesting we were a pseudo Ivy, however, some did consider ourselves a step up from St. John's & Manhattan.  Not a high bar.  Some in FC considered themselves a cut above the rest of us. They received a jolt when my classmate Mario Gabelli got elected as head of the Student Council, or whatever it was called. First ever non FC to achieve that position.

Jimbo, I've heard many express a similar sentiment.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 11:04:08 am »

People underestimate the cost factor. It was a real big deal in the 70's and 80's. Financial aid was very hard to get and student loans were very limited. Fordham was a good value back then.  Plus, unlike today's McShanebots, the overall atmosphere and culture was a big factor in one choosing a school, not just metrics and ratings. Too bad the current students cant experience the Fordham of our era, it was a terrific place.

1. Costs at Fordham were low partly because they were a bit desperate to fill seats (remember they were coming out of a very bad time financially); They also put off a lot of maintenance and new construction.  It might have seemed like a good value but Fordham had to do a lot of catching up.

2.  I think it's just naïve to think that atmosphere and culture aren't still big factors in school selection.  I think metrics and ratings probably matter more than they used to but that doesn't mean they are less valid a measure than atmosphere and culture.

3.  Many tend to look back at their college days with rose-colored glasses.  I'm guessing that if you and I were to enroll today, we would think Fordham is still a terrific place and a lot of the students there now would probably agree.  There are new dorms, a new library, renovated facilities, better food offerings, more course offerings, and a lot more women!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 11:15:19 am »

1. Costs at Fordham were low partly because they were a bit desperate to fill seats (remember they were coming out of a very bad time financially); They also put off a lot of maintenance and new construction.  It might have seemed like a good value but Fordham had to do a lot of catching up.

3.   There are new dorms, a new library, renovated facilities, better food offerings, more course offerings, and a lot more women!   Grin

Exhibit A - Rose Hill Gym

Exhibit B - Jack Coffey Field

Exhibit C - Vincent T. Lombardi Memorial Center - Football offices

compare and contrast with "Holy Cross University"

Exhibit D - The Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex

........Butt-Fumble!!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:37 am »

better food offerings

The food was worse when you went? I don't believe it.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 11:47:38 am »

At one point Fordham had the reputation of pumping out blue collar students... people that were smart, but also worked their butts off and ultimately became very successful at their craft.

The former did not need service dogs to get them through the "anxiety" of exams.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:45 am »

The food was worse when you went? I don't believe it.

I wouldn't say it was "worse" as I didn't think that what we had back then was really bad, just that what's offered today is I think better.

For example, take a look at the menus in the Cafeteria for this week:  https://fordham.campusdish.com/Commerce/Catalog/Menus.aspx?LocationId=9252

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:50 am »

The former did not need service dogs to get them through the "anxiety" of exams.

I know of a student who does need a service dog to get him through the anxiety of school, even takes the dog to classes.  Of course, he's a recently returned war vet who suffers from severe PTSD.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 11:53:09 am »

I recall quite a few service dogs at the el Dorado.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »

I wouldn't say it was "worse" as I didn't think that what we had back then was really bad, just that what's offered today is I think better.

For example, take a look at the menus in the Cafeteria for this week:  https://fordham.campusdish.com/Commerce/Catalog/Menus.aspx?LocationId=9252

Did you see my comment about students that appear to look good on paper? The concept applies to the food/menu.

Additionally, a therapy dog would've been great for post meal trips to the bathroom. There were a few times I thought I'd never make it out alive.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:15 pm »

the ineptitude of many within the Dept. and program can be called the “Sodexho-Marriott”-drag.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »

I know of a student who does need a service dog to get him through the anxiety of school, even takes the dog to classes.  Of course, he's a recently returned war vet who suffers from severe PTSD.

I agree about the concept of "Service Dogs", but if there is anyone at our great institution using a "Service Dog" besides a returning Combat veteran then this needs to be investigated.  People who use service dogs that are anything other than a combat vet need to be exposed and sent to combat, then they can gain this benefit.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:41 pm »

You know very well or should know that my reference was not directed at vets or others with real problems but rather the snowflakes some present day students are.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »

You know very well or should know that my reference was not directed at vets or others with real problems but rather the snowflakes some present day students are.

Snow flakes existed back in your day too, you just called them hippies.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 12:43:09 pm »

This thread seems to have devolved from "the SID office can't type" to "the Fordham when I went was better than it is today" and "kids today are soft and have it too easy."

I'd love to hear some specific instances where people encountered Fordham students and/or young alums that they were disappointed in, people who didn't seem to measure up to Fordham standards (whatever they might be).  No need to name names, but it would be interesting to know.

Just to be able to sift out the current reality from the "things were better in my day" cranky old man stream . . .   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »

This thread seems to have devolved from "the SID office can't type" to "the Fordham when I went was better than it is today" and "kids today are soft and have it too easy."

To be clear, I never said anything negative about today's Fordham or today's students.  I defended the Fordham I knew from the claim of an '08 grad that today's Fordham student is significantly better than in the past -- and that today's Fordham students are, on the whole, smarter than Fordham's students in the past.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 01:20:19 pm »

Also, need to factor in that the drinking age was 18....that made for a much different place as well.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »

I agree about the concept of "Service Dogs", but if there is anyone at our great institution using a "Service Dog" besides a returning Combat veteran then this needs to be investigated.  People who use service dogs that are anything other than a combat vet need to be exposed and sent to combat, then they can gain this benefit.

What about blind people?
Report Spam   Logged
ramdad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 02:53:23 pm »

Rose colored glasses?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 03:00:12 pm »

What about blind people?

of course....
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 03:01:27 pm »

Rose colored glasses?

No!!  People who wear Rose Colored glasses like Rambacker and FuCOP69 are not allowed "Service Dogs" 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 03:08:38 pm »

Someone likely wrote "Holy Cross" and someone did not realize they are a LAC. No one calls it Holy Cross College, it is THEE College of the Holy Cross.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 06:04:49 pm »

No!!  People who wear Rose Colored glasses like Rambacker and FuCOP69 are not allowed "Service Dogs" 

You are the dictionary definition of an ass.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »

yes but he has become fun to have around - you just gotta accept him for who he is
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2017, 08:48:47 pm »

yes but he has become fun to have around - you just gotta accept him for who he is

Possibly, given enough intoxicating beverages, he might be barely tolerable, but his juvenile "rose-colored glasses," "fire, ready, aim," and "all is well" video clip are beyond repetitive and tiresome.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Rob Smith
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2017, 09:23:14 pm »

Exactly right.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:37 pm »

Also, need to factor in that the drinking age was 18....that made for a much different place as well.

major factor    they even had a walking bridge from campus over the railroad tracks to Webster Ave.    2 hour break between classes   ham and swiss hero from a deli, bring it in to Kelly's Raven Tavern and wash down with 25 cent drafts, 5 cent cashew machine with 6 plays on the jukebox for a quarter

Irish barkeep spinning questionable yarns about Edgar Allan Poe writing The Raven and The Bells while in the bar     
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »

Lurker, There is nothing wrong with Fordham. It's a reasonable but very local Catholic school in New York City. Let's be honest about it, Fordham can't even hold a candle to Georgetown or even "crappy" Villanova at this stage. However, the reality is that not many people outside of metro New York and maybe a few guys in Ireland have been ever even heard of the place. It's very frustrating to listen to the clowns on this board say it's such a "good school" when it really doesn't have much of a reputation globally at all.  It certainly doesn't evoke the same reaction from recruiters as a Duke or Cambridge. It is what it is, but it's not got this great reputation that this board believes that it has.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: