fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 04:56:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homecoming - Fordham vs. Holy Cross University  (Read 6376 times)
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 07, 2017, 11:56:21 pm »

Spouse..  At this point I think you're just pulling everyone's chain. That's fine.  I don't think your serious with most of this.

I can't imagine someone like Mr. Gabelli thinking that turning EP into a parking lot is a good idea.  I don't think major donors are all that keen on damaging venues with significant traditional value. 

I do think if people are serious about bringing back tailgating, the admin could possibly entertain it at a close by site like the NYBG lot or the old ball field down coming off the Bronx River Pkwy.  The City would conceivably rent it for a day.  Not a long walk, in fact shorter than the walk you'd have getting to a game at a major college game.  Do some research on that!

Nope, not at all.  The Butt-fumble of a Homecoming last weekend has to be fixed.  No chain pulling here at all.  I disagree with you about Mario.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:15 am »

Well, question was posed to the AD who kicked it upstairs to the moustache.

I will call in on FUV on Saturday and pose the question, at least try to get the ball rolling on a proper response.

Again, some clarity  is needed. The AD responded that this decision was made prior to his tenure. So exactly how many years has tailgating been banned? I would like to have the facts prior to calling in and discussing.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2017, 08:24:39 am »

I will call in on FUV on Saturday and pose the question, at least try to get the ball rolling on a proper response.

Again, some clarity  is needed. The AD responded that this decision was made prior to his tenure. So exactly how many years has tailgating been banned? I would like to have the facts prior to calling in and discussing.

In Ď06 I took my father to Homecoming. They did the tent, etc.  He met a couple of guys from the Class of 51 that day.  We went to the tent but I believe they also allowing tailgating.  I do know the rent wasnít jammed and we were able to get beers/food pretty easily, which also makes me think there was tailgating.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 08, 2017, 09:04:15 am »

Pretty sure there was a tent as far back as '08ish.

Sorry - didn't see AOC's response.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:02 am »

Ok but didnt you post that you held a lavish tailgate just last year, or did I read that incorrectly?
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:27 am »

Pretty sure there was a tent as far back as '08ish.

Sorry - didn't see AOC's response.

They were doing the tents back in the late 1990s. 1998 was the last Homecoming I ever attended and the tent was there and as AOC described. They may have been doing tailgating too, but I do not recall.

My first few Homecomings in 1987, 1988,  and 1989 were fantastic affairs. Lots of beer and fun. By the early 90s, they were getting very uptight about it. I still recall a Jesuit trying to keep people out of the parking lot upon returning from using the restrooms in those newer dorms up there. Crazy.

Thought making the trip this year, but seems I made the right choice not to do so.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:33 am »

Ok but do we know what year that they decided to ban tailgating? Thats what I would like to determine prior to the call.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2017, 09:25:25 am »

My first Homecoming post grad in 05 we tailgated. I think it was somewhere between 07-09 that things changed but not exactly sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:21 am »

My first Homecoming post grad in 05 we tailgated. I think it was somewhere between 07-09 that things changed but not exactly sure.

Which appears to coincide with the social host law in NY which I believe was signed in 2007.
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:27 am »

Ok but do we know what year that they decided to ban tailgating? Thats what I would like to determine prior to the call.

I recall heading to Homecoming in 1989 and hearing that tailgating was banned. As such I procured some vodka and mixed it with a bottle of OJ.

Upon getting there, tailgating was in full swing.  Huh?

I would guess the edict goes back a long time, but it took them a while before they started enforcing it. My sighting of the teetotaler priest was around 1991 or so.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2017, 10:04:07 am »

Which appears to coincide with the social host law in NY which I believe was signed in 2007.

Here we go again.....having our lawyers, risk analysts and Insurance Agents dictating how we run our University.  Bye, bye top 25 FCS it was nice knowing you. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:56 am »

Here we go again.....having our lawyers, risk analysts and Insurance Agents dictating how we run our University.  Bye, bye top 25 FCS it was nice knowing you. 

Screw the damn tailgating.  Itís bs and doesnít effect the program one way or the other.

If we want a consistent Top 25 program, Fordham needs to look just a few miles west and do what Columbia has done.  While it remains to be seen if Columbia sustains it, the financial commitment and first rate facilities have to be in place to first attract, and then develop players. Thereís no way around it,  especially now that the PL gives scholarships. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 08, 2017, 10:35:07 am »

If we want a consistent Top 25 program, Fordham needs to look just a few miles west and do what Columbia has done.  While it remains to be seen if Columbia sustains it, the financial commitment and first rate facilities have to be in place to first attract, and then develop players. Thereís no way around it,  especially now that the PL gives scholarships. 

Pass on emulating anything Columbia has done.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 08, 2017, 10:36:18 am »

Screw the damn tailgating.  Itís bs and doesnít effect the program one way or the other.

Didnít you say the Ivy League is low level football?
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:17 am »

Pass on emulating anything Columbia has done.

Right. Donít put $30 million into facilities and donít think about hiring a future Hall of Fame coach.  

Weíre Fordham. We did it in 71. We can do it again!
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:24 am »

I fail to see how banning tailgating has anything to do with performance on the field.

Again, rather than these silly retorts and accusations, let's try to pose the question to the right person and get a response. Roach clearly kicked the question upstairs.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:27 am »

That answer speaks volumes.

+1.  Speaks of a dysfunctional organization, a much bigger issue than beers on Eddie's
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2017, 10:39:01 am »

Didnít you say the Ivy League is low level football?

Many times. It is low level football. You still have to spend money to win, whatever the level.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2017, 10:43:43 am »

Many times. It is low level football. You still have to spend money to win, whatever the level.

Fairly certain you were highly critical of their facility, especially the location and that its an impossible sell to get kids interested in taking a subway to practice.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:30 am »

Fairly certain you were highly critical of their facility, especially the location and that its an impossible sell to get kids interested in taking a subway to practice.

Never critical of their new training facility.  I maintain the drag on their program is the trip from campus to the field. It will be interesting to see where it goes when Bagnoli retires again.  Can they sustain?   I do think the newly installed practice bubble mitigates some of the practice issues.   Theyíre re-inventing the program. If you donít see thereís nothing to be learned here, stick to worrying about tailgating.  Once we get that resolved, an FCS championship canít be far behind!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:59 am »

Never critical of their new training facility.  I maintain the drag on their program is the trip from campus to the field. It will be interesting to see where it goes when Bagnoli retires again.  Can they sustain?   I do think the newly installed practice bubble mitigates some of the practice issues.   Theyíre re-inventing the program. If you donít see thereís nothing to be learned here, stick to worrying about tailgating.  Once we get that resolved, an FCS championship canít be far behind!

Well as a spectator, game-day experience is the most important to me, so that's what i'll focus on typically. Columbia has sucked and been absolutely miserable for a long time. They literally quit our series because we were smacking them around too much. Throwing money at a problem and building new facilities isn't going to necessarily fix our issues. Our issues go much deeper than a new workout facility, though it is BADLY needed. We've won the PL with three different coaches over the past 15 years or so. Each time a winning coach has left, we've had some major problems followed by some more success. The Masella/Moorhead transition is the exception but as I mentioned in another thread, there were other factors that I believe caused his downfall.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2017, 11:34:19 am »

Well as a spectator, game-day experience is the most important to me, so that's what i'll focus on typically. Columbia has sucked and been absolutely miserable for a long time. They literally quit our series because we were smacking them around too much. Throwing money at a problem and building new facilities isn't going to necessarily fix our issues. Our issues go much deeper than a new workout facility, though it is BADLY needed. We've won the PL with three different coaches over the past 15 years or so. Each time a winning coach has left, we've had some major problems followed by some more success. The Masella/Moorhead transition is the exception but as I mentioned in another thread, there were other factors that I believe caused his downfall.

Iíve been away from coaching for a while so maybe things have changed...  Iím thinking that a new AD from the private sector who understands marketing and fundraising, a future Hall of Fame coach, a $30 million+ training facility and a practice bubble would go a long way to fixing our issues.   I donít care that they quit our series. I donít like it but it has nothing to do with what theyíre doing now.

Our PL winning coaches were able to win with an edge they took advantage of. Iím not diminishing at all what they accomplished.  Those competitive edges are gone now.  What do we do now to level the playing field?  Pulling up on EP for a few cold ones isnít going to move the needle much.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2017, 11:38:56 am »

I’ve been away from coaching for a while so maybe things have changed...  I’m thinking that a new AD from the private sector who understands marketing and fundraising, a future Hall of Fame coach, a $30 million+ training facility and a practice bubble would go a long way to fixing our issues.   I don’t care that they quit our series. I don’t like it but it has nothing to do with what they’re doing now.

Our PL winning coaches were able to win with an edge they took advantage of. I’m not diminishing at all what they accomplished.  Those competitive edges are gone now.  What do we do now to level the playing field?  Pulling up on EP for a few cold ones isn’t going to move the needle much.

Interesting discussion, but it's for a different thread. Just b/c one guy tried to turn the homecoming situation into something about our performance on the field, it does not mean we should change the topic of the thread.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Gate83
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2017, 12:53:34 pm »

Correct. One poster here did state that we were the only school who banned tailgating. Not so sure its that clear cut as I look through other school's websites. Colgate seems to have had a similar set up to us with tents.

To be clear, we do set up tents for Homecoming but not to the exclusion of tailgating out of the back of your car.  It's fun if you can come & go between the two.

We also do have VIP parking, you buy it on a season basis for a $500 contribution to the football booster club.  We are not space constrained (at all!) so anyone can park for $5/game in a separate lot.  Fordham's space issues are obviously not comparable to a school in the middle of nowhere. 

During Roach's last couple of years at Gate a concerted effort was made to stop the undergrad debauchery at the tailgates.  Basically drove the kids off,   don't know if Dave was just following orders or directed our crackdown.  The current administration/AD is trying to get the kids back with somewhat more relaxed drinking guidelines and asking security to back off, so far with limited results.

Since I'm in the NYC area I haven't missed a Fordham/Gate tailgate in 20 years, one of my favorite places in the PL to tailgate.  Please don't have us as your Homecoming game!
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2017, 01:10:44 pm »

Please don't have us as your Homecoming game!
It was a stupid idea to have a PL game, especially HC, for homecoming.  We draw well for league games.  We draw especially well for HC since the two school's student bodies and alumni networks overlap.  HC should have been earlier and for an opponent that doesn't draw as well.  Yale would have been a better choice
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »

Interesting discussion, but it's for a different thread. Just b/c one guy tried to turn the homecoming situation into something about our performance on the field, it does not mean we should change the topic of the thread.

Apologies!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2017, 03:24:26 pm »

It was a stupid idea to have a PL game, especially HC, for homecoming.  We draw well for league games.  We draw especially well for HC since the two school's student bodies and alumni networks overlap.  HC should have been earlier and for an opponent that doesn't draw as well.  Yale would have been a better choice

It really is the last game on the schedule that should have been chosen as the homecoming game. Yale was the only logical choice, in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: