fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:04:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Season Predictions 2017-2018

Poll
Question: 2017-2018 BB Season wins
Under 8 (oh well) - 2 (3.6%)
8-12     (wait till next year) - 8 (14.3%)
13-18   (there is hope) - 37 (66.1%)
19-25   (yes!) - 6 (10.7%)
over 25 (dream time) - 3 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season Predictions 2017-2018  (Read 2226 times)
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:52 pm »

The 2017-2018 Season will start soon.  It looks like 12 OOC games plus 18 A-10 Games and then at least one game in the A-10
Championship Tournament or a minimum of 31 games.  Predictions ?  Thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:03:34 pm »

Prediction :  could not make one     too many unknowns for me

Thoughts ; hope to see a hard working, winning team that avoids injuries ( especially in the front court ) and has already received their flu shots
Report Spam   Logged
Sufferam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:42 pm »

19-25 because the Cubs are still reigning World Series champs and Trump is President. Proof that unexpected things can happen.
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »

I went for 13-18 as there are a lot of unknowns, but I have seen enough from this coach that he'll get as much as he can from the team. It also seems that the players are buying in ( at least from the comments on Petty's podcasts) and the glimpses of play we saw last year.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:10:49 am »

I think the range of wins in this poll do not make any sense. There is a huge disparity between 18 wins and 13 wins.  13 like last year leaves you looking back on games being given away and unsatisfied possibly hopeful.  18 wins is a really good year so I am not sure how that range can have the same fan reaction.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:18:55 am »

As Rich just said, very large gaps in the poll. 2-3 victories is a huge leap. Under 8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16 etc
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:14 am »

I think the range of wins in this poll do not make any sense. There is a huge disparity between 18 wins and 13 wins.  13 like last year leaves you looking back on games being given away and unsatisfied possibly hopeful.  18 wins is a really good year so I am not sure how that range can have the same fan reaction.

I felt the same, but the poll limits you to 5 options I believe.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:21 am »

+1
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:54 am »

I felt the same, but the poll limits you to 5 options I believe.
10 or less
11-13
14-16
17-19
20 or more
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:01:21 am »

My maths tells me 13-18.  I mean, they did that the first 2 years of the Neu World Order (and yes, the spread from 13-18 is yuge).  But I went 19-25, thinking 19 is doable.  

T-Rank (kinda the free Kenpom lite) has us at 13-17 in regular season.  7-5 OOC, 6-12 in the A-10.  

I go 8-4, 9-9, get better as season goes on again, win a 1st round A-10 game, win a first round NIT game.  And I hope I am being pessimistic.  Afro

Out of conference 7-5 in T-Rank could easily be 8-4.  .6 Dogs at home to ETSU, but they lost a lot off a very good team, 4 of their top 5 guys in minutes (although Burrell and Payne on their bench kicked our ass last year).   2.7 dogs at home to Hahvahd.  Of course only .1 faves versus Tulane.

In conference 6-12 in t-rank can easily become 9-9.  2.3 home dogs to Davidson, 2.3 road dogs to the Dukes.  1.3 home dogs to La Salle.  of course you can also win some big upsets, lose ones you should win, etc.  But I think this is the year .500 is doable, and again, they might surprise me. Gotta be like Brenton Petty.  The NCAAs is the goal.

Oh, and 6 point dogs at Saint Louis.  Not sure I buy them yet.  Great recruits and transfers, but you have to put it together, and they have the 4 guys accused of sexual assault.  No charges expected (at least per their attorney), but it's already caused a Title IX rumpus there.  Didn't seem to effect Oregon, but this is a different level team struggling to get back to relevance. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:08:48 pm by drunkle » Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:07:38 am »

10 or less
11-13
14-16
17-19
20 or more

I see some flaws in those choices also. I think the number of wins to be in the conversation to get into the NCAA tournament, as unrealistic as that might be, needs to be in there as its own category. I put that number at 24 or more, although 24 in some cases is not enough, but with our schedule it could/should be.

My first choice would be "14 or less" b/c that puts us at below .500 and that would be a failure. Make the last option "24 or more" and we have better options for the other 3.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:48 am »

Guys I think we will have to see considerable improvement to get to .500 with this group. We have little in the way of rebounding and unless we find some new 3 point players to pick up for who we lost it will be difficult so I am hoping for 17 to 18 wins.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 11:47:42 am »

I went with 13-18 because I believe that's who we are, currently, as a program. Neu's first 2 years, we averaged 15 wins. He did that with players inherited from his predecessor, who were recruited to play a different style. Now he's got a roster predominantly of his own recruits. And last year he showed that if his players couldn't execute his program, he was flexible enough to adjust his strategy to meet their capabilities. We've got a ways to go, but hopefully our days of being doormats are over.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 11:48:47 am »

I went with 13-18 because I believe that's who we are, currently, as a program. Neu's first 2 years, we averaged 15 wins. He did that with players inherited from his successor, who were recruited to play a different style. Now he's got a roster predominantly of his own recruits. And last year he showed that if his players couldn't execute his program, he was flexible enough to adjust his strategy to meet their capabilities. We've got a ways to go, but hopefully our days of being doormats are over.

Not ready to make a season prediction just yet, but if Evans is what i think he is, Chartouny won't lead the team in scoring - and that's a very good thing.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:31 pm »

14-18, with a win and a loss in the A-10 tourney...
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »

I will jump in (optimistically) with 8-4 OOC and 9-7 in conference for a 17-11 year.  I think we will do well in the Jamaica Classic. 

We do have a deep team, although only a handful of really big players (6' 8" and up) Chuba, Slanina and Bunting with Pekarek and Raut at 6' 7".  Speed, defense and shooting are more important than size.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:56 pm »

I will jump in (optimistically) with 8-4 OOC and 9-7 in conference for a 17-11 year.  I think we will do well in the Jamaica Classic. 

Not disagreeing, but those digits are large. I'm optimistic, but 6 games over .500 would put Neubauer as COY.

Ok, Here I go:

7-5 OOC.
7-9 A10.

2 A10 Tournament wins.

16-16 in 2017-18.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 11:43:03 pm »

Not disagreeing, but those digits are large. I'm optimistic, but 6 games over .500 would put Neubauer as COY.

Ok, Here I go:

7-5 OOC.
7-9 A10.

2 A10 Tournament wins.

16-16 in 2017-18.

Peter, 18 conference games before a10 tournament.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:22 am »

I absolutely have no problem with Neu as COY. Just. saying.
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 06:32:56 am »

I'm excited for this season but we have a very young team that lacks game experience. Think we have a good foundation but this will be a developmental season IMO.
15-16 for the year 8-10 in conference, loss in the 1st rd in the conf. tournament. Feel like injuries last year stalled some progress for guys who will play key roles this year. After this season we should have a .500 or better A10 record for the next few seasons if JN and key players stick around. Our young guys will be seasoned and recruiting has been looking good.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:17:49 am by cbbdan » Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 11:05:11 am »

Peter, 18 conference games before a10 tournament.

Thanks, will revise.
Report Spam   Logged

Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 12:52:09 pm »

Likewise, I'll revise also, after the football game.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »

Spending most of 4Q v. Lehigh in the gym now.

Slanina is running through a shooting drill on the left wing. Catch and shoot from 20-feet, heís essentially automatic. Keeps the ball higher than I recall, quick release. Clearly stronger too. He looks like a Euro pro.

On the flip side, Raut hasnít put one through the hole. Itís practice, but Iíve never seen 0/15...

Evans pushes from his chest, solid mid-range. Now feeding Havsa for a shooting series from the corner.

Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »

Great report.  Slanina stays healthy he will be a problem. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »

How does Hicks look?
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 07:45:31 pm »

Great report.  Slanina stays healthy he will be a problem. 

agree   I worry about him when he plays outside, fakes the jumper and drives to the basket     big, easy target for getting chopped    if he is shooting as well as reported, maybe no need to fake, just shoot
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »

2017-18 Scoring:

Joseph Chartouny - 12.3
Tre Evans - 11.1
Prokop Slanina - 10.7
Will Tavares - 8.6
Chuba Ohams - 5.5
Perris Hicks - 5.2
Cavit Havsa - 4.4
David Pekarek - 3.8
Jesse Bunting - 3.4
Nemanja Zarkovic - 2.5

In simple terms, I'm projecting Slanina to get a lot of Sengfelder's green light. I'm looking at Evans to fill AA's offense. I'm looking at Tavares to be 65% of Hawkins. I don't need to see a scoring sheet from any exhibition game, it'll mean nothing. Curb your excitement of the numbers that come.
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:12 pm »

Biggest Prediction:

We don't sell out a single game.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 01:17:22 pm »

2017-18 Scoring:

Joseph Chartouny - 12.3
Tre Evans - 11.1
Prokop Slanina - 10.7
Will Tavares - 8.6
Chuba Ohams - 5.5
Perris Hicks - 5.2
Cavit Havsa - 4.4
David Pekarek - 3.8
Jesse Bunting - 3.4
Nemanja Zarkovic - 2.5

In simple terms, I'm projecting Slanina to get a lot of Sengfelder's green light. I'm looking at Evans to fill AA's offense. I'm looking at Tavares to be 65% of Hawkins. I don't need to see a scoring sheet from any exhibition game, it'll mean nothing. Curb your excitement of the numbers that come.

Egads.  Well, hopefully we are pleasantly surprised.
Report Spam   Logged
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 04:40:48 pm »

If we can keep this core together, I love our potential in the coming years. But this year, I just see a lot of growing pains. Like last year I'll predict game by game.

Miami Ohio- Win (in OT)                                                           @VCU- Loss (Might be nice to get the toughest A10 game out of the way)
LIU Brooklyn- Win                                                                    Richmond- Loss (in OT)
vs Florida State (Jamaica)- Loss                                                Duquesne- Win (Good showing on Young Alumni day in front of yours truly)
vs Tulane (Jamaica)- Loss (Jamaica will be very ugly I predict)    @St. Bonaventure- Loss
Manhattan- Win                                                                       Davidson- Loss                                                                     
ETSU- Loss (Always a tough out for us, solid team)                    @La Salle- Loss (One of those games that will be a win next year)
Maine- Win                                                                             @St. Joe's- Loss
Harvard- Loss (Could win the Ivy this year)                               Rhode Island- Win (Upset special in the first game with the students back)
St. Francis BK- Win                                                                  UMass- Win
@Rutgers- Loss (Big, they crushed us last year)                         @SLU- Loss
Florida A&M- Win (CBS Sports has them Bottom 5 in Division I)            George Mason- Loss
@West Virginia- Loss (I actually think we compete here, 12 point loss)   @Duquense- Win
                                                                                                         St. Joe's- Loss
Regular Season- 12-18 (6-12)  11th in A10                                           @Dayton- Loss
Win PIG, Lose on Thursday of A10s                                                       @Davidson-Loss
Avg Home Attendance- 1855 (Last 2 games are sellouts)                         La Salle- Win
                                                                                                         @GW- Win (Underachieving team this year)
                                                                                                         VCU- Loss

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: