fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:20:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Moorhead doing well

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Moorhead doing well  (Read 2515 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:44 am »

The ACC would be a nice spot for him depending what might open up. Sort of the perfect combination of good football and not insane expectations.  I could see PSU launching him to a HC job there perhaps.  I’ve never been able to figure out why Virginia can’t put it together.

AOC
I think Fleck did quite well for himself.  $3.5mil a year.
I do not think he planned on heading to Minnesota as it is not one of the better Big10 gigs but at that rate and reasonable expectations that is not too shabby.
UCF is paying Frost $2mil, considerably less.
If Fleck got a guaranteed 4-5 year deal the guy is set for life.  game set match.  If he does OK to well he gets an extension.  If he does very well, he gets a bigger gig at likely $4.5 or more. That is $17.5 mil and before any bonuses.

USA TODAY COACHING SALARY LIST 2017
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

This list will open your eyes as to where the plush jobs are.

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 11:38:31 am »

AOC
I think Fleck did quite well for himself.  $3.5mil a year.
I do not think he planned on heading to Minnesota as it is not one of the better Big10 gigs but at that rate and reasonable expectations that is not too shabby.
UCF is paying Frost $2mil, considerably less.
If Fleck got a guaranteed 4-5 year deal the guy is set for life.  game set match.  If he does OK to well he gets an extension.  If he does very well, he gets a bigger gig at likely $4.5 or more. That is $17.5 mil and before any bonuses.

USA TODAY COACHING SALARY LIST 2017
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

This list will open your eyes as to where the plush jobs are.

AOC is talking about Fleck derailing his career professionally not financially.  Yes, He is making good money at Minn. but they are 4-4 this year.  He isn't going to win the Big 10 at Minnesota let alone the BCS.  Will he be financially set?  Yes, but will he get that "College Royalty Job"....not the way things are going.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »

Coach Joe is NOT getting a Power 5 head coaching gig....(at least not at a place that he should take).  The only exception is if the dominos fall and the Iowa St. coach goes somewhere big.  Coach Joe will not get a sniff at Nebraska if it opens up.  Also, Pitt is possible, but unlikely and BC is not going to open up. 

Scott Frost is either going to Tenn, Florida or Nebraska.  My guess is that it was a done deal for Frost to get the Nebraska job if/when it opened up but with what happened in Gainesville I would say that it is a more attractive job than Nebraska.

With that being said Central Florida is a great spot for Coach Joe and if he get that job and succeeds then a Top Tier Power 5 school is his next stop.  We have to remember Coach Joe is only 43.  Frost is 42.  These guys have a ton of years left to coach at the top level.

If you read my last line again we're really saying the exact same thing.  While he could get a P5 job I agree that the ones he'll be offered will not be better than at a school like Central Florida.  Central Florida is arguably a top job in the country imo given their commitment to the program, $$$'s to spend, ability to let any kid with a pulse into the school and being right in the middle of one of the best talent pool states in the country.  They're on track to get an offer to join a P5 conference when the next round of reshuffling takes place imo.  The question to me is, what other programs are similar?  I could see Cincinnati possibly being in that mix too. 

Either way, I don't see Joe leaving PSU unless they run the table and end up back in the national championship picture mix, which is unlikely and will only happen if a bunch of things outside their control take place. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »

AOC is talking about Fleck derailing his career professionally not financially.  Yes, He is making good money at Minn. but they are 4-4 this year.  He isn't going to win the Big 10 at Minnesota let alone the BCS.  Will he be financially set?  Yes, but will he get that "College Royalty Job"....not the way things are going.

I know what he is talking about and to each is own but if you give me a guaranteed $17.5 mil ++ I would be fine with that kinda coin and chill out into retirement on an island even if you flopped.  Minnesota may not be a bad spot. 

Plus if all fails he could like be a coordinator at a Power 5 making a paltry $1 mil a clip. 
If you take a UCF or lower job you have to succeed for you never get the big payout.  If it were me, I would take the guaranteed payout, take care fo my family and move on to a coordinator spot and still get my kiddos a free education.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »

I know what he is talking about and to each is own but if you give me a guaranteed $17.5 mil ++ I would be fine with that kinda coin and chill out into retirement on an island even if you flopped.  Minnesota may not be a bad spot. 

Plus if all fails he could like be a coordinator at a Power 5 making a paltry $1 mil a clip. 
If you take a UCF or lower job you have to succeed for you never get the big payout.  If it were me, I would take the guaranteed payout, take care fo my family and move on to a coordinator spot and still get my kiddos a free education.

I agree overall and also think that it's waaaay too early to say whether or not Fleck made a good call.  He seems to have them playing well and if he can have a year in the next 2 - 3 where he piles up 9 wins or more, he'll get scooped up by a bigger P5 school and not just because he's so good at self promotion (he is).  The B10 West is weak other than Wisconsin although I do expect to see Purdue break through to become a winning program given their investments in facilities and I also think Brohm is a very good coach.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:27 pm »

I agree overall and also think that it's waaaay too early to say whether or not Fleck made a good call.  He seems to have them playing well and if he can have a year in the next 2 - 3 where he piles up 9 wins or more, he'll get scooped up by a bigger P5 school and not just because he's so good at self promotion (he is).  The B10 West is weak other than Wisconsin although I do expect to see Purdue break through to become a winning program given their investments in facilities and I also think Brohm is a very good coach.

agreed and Purdue is showing positive signs.  the facilities is a big plus too.

Minnesota' stadium is newer and they Vikes new stadium is posh
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 07:00:32 am »

Fleck signed a 5 year contract and is getting paid almost 4 million a year with built in annual raises. They have a nice new stadium, play in a very weak division and if he wins 8 games a year and goes to bowls consistently he will have a job for life. He made a great decision , no need to jump anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 07:02:54 am »

Derailing his career professionally? You are insane
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:44 am »

Derailing his career professionally? You are insane

Chaka and Madram....I guess reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.....yes, We all agree that Fleck is  making good money and yes if he wins 6 to 9 games per year he will be there for a long time....if this is what he wants then great.   Does he have aspirations for bigger and greater goals?  Bama aint coming knocking on his door.  I agree with AOC, he was one of the hottest and best up and coming young coaches, but he aint going anywhere with the current state of his program.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:18 am »

Fleck signed a 5 year contract and is getting paid almost 4 million a year with built in annual raises. They have a nice new stadium, play in a very weak division and if he wins 8 games a year and goes to bowls consistently he will have a job for life. He made a great decision , no need to jump anywhere.

My point was that Fleck is a guy with sky high ambitions and and promotional ability to match.  I believe Minnesota was the last job available after last season.   Unless he does spectacularly well there, I don't see UMinn as a launching pad to the upper level of D-I.  I think its better than Illinois and Indiana and probably Purdue.   If Fleck had another good year at BG, I think he would have been in line for the really good jobs that will open this year.

Money is a different topic.  I'm sure he's making tremendous coin.  That wasn't my point, though.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »

My point was that Fleck is a guy with sky high ambitions and and promotional ability to match.  I believe Minnesota was the last job available after last season.   Unless he does spectacularly well there, I don't see UMinn as a launching pad to the upper level of D-I.  I think its better than Illinois and Indiana and probably Purdue.   If Fleck had another good year at BG, I think he would have been in line for the really good jobs that will open this year.

Money is a different topic.  I'm sure he's making tremendous coin.  That wasn't my point, though.

Maybe he will still be in line for the really good jobs that open this year? Or do you think his time at Minn. takes him out of that running?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 12:36:53 pm »

Maybe he will still be in line for the really good jobs that open this year? Or do you think his time at Minn. takes him out of that running?

I don't know if he would be a viable candidate for a significantly better job now that he's at UMinn.  I think he might have had the opportunity to move up a couple of rungs on the ladder coming from BG.  Now I think he needs to move the needle there.  On the upside, a dollar goes a little farther in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 02:25:08 pm »

I don't know if he would be a viable candidate for a significantly better job now that he's at UMinn.  I think he might have had the opportunity to move up a couple of rungs on the ladder coming from BG.  Now I think he needs to move the needle there.  On the upside, a dollar goes a little farther in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
he was at Western Michigan btw

I disagree about Minnesota being a possible launch pad.  I think he can do it.  To Chaka’s point, though, even if he doesn’t he’s still set up pretty well
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »

Chaka and Madram....I guess reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.....yes, We all agree that Fleck is  making good money and yes if he wins 6 to 9 games per year he will be there for a long time....if this is what he wants then great.   Does he have aspirations for bigger and greater goals?  Bama aint coming knocking on his door.  I agree with AOC, he was one of the hottest and best up and coming young coaches, but he aint going anywhere with the current state of his program.

You are beyond clueless , really and truly you are . He's 8 games into his first season at a program that was in turmoil from sexual assault claims. He's recruiting great .. seriously you have no clue
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 05:27:55 pm »

he was at Western Michigan btw

I disagree about Minnesota being a possible launch pad.  I think he can do it.  To Chaka’s point, though, even if he doesn’t he’s still set up pretty well

D'oh...  Good catch on W. Michigan...

Minnesota will do it if he wins big.  I don't see 7-8 wins getting him anywhere in an over-rated Big 10.  I think a couple of years of 9+.

They certainly won't be holding any benfits for him.

Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »

I hope nobody on this board ever has a say in hiring coaches because some of the logic used on here is scary for people who claim to know football.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:28 am »

They are Penn State now ranked 7 by AP. The Ohio State is ranked #3.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2017, 09:30:57 am »

D'oh...  Good catch on W. Michigan...

Minnesota will do it if he wins big.  I don't see 7-8 wins getting him anywhere in an over-rated Big 10.  I think a couple of years of 9+.

They certainly won't be holding any benfits for him.

AOC, you've said this a couple of times now. Interested to know what your thinking is here.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »

You are beyond clueless , really and truly you are . He's 8 games into his first season at a program that was in turmoil from sexual assault claims. He's recruiting great .. seriously you have no clue

it is just comical......your pea-brained responses are really out of touch.  AOC was making a statement about career suicide with Fleck.  He goes 13-1 at Univ. of Bumbleville Michigan..... and then jumps to Minnesota and makes good money and has a very average team.  Why jump to Illinois, Indy, Purdue or Minn?  I guess for the money, but you aren't moving on from there because you can't build a sustainable program there.  He stays one more year at Bumbleville U and goes 11-2 or better and he can make the next jump.  You already see it with Scott Frost.  He will be the head coach at either Nebraska or Florida next year.  I hope that coach Joe takes his job at Central Florida.  That is the best option Joe will get.  He succeeds there and then the sky is the limit.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:52:08 am by Ram-Spouse » Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 12:18:17 am »

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-coaching-candidates-jim-mcelwain-replacement

UF take
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:28 pm »

it is just comical......your pea-brained responses are really out of touch.  AOC was making a statement about career suicide with Fleck.  He goes 13-1 at Univ. of Bumbleville Michigan..... and then jumps to Minnesota and makes good money and has a very average team.  Why jump to Illinois, Indy, Purdue or Minn?  I guess for the money, but you aren't moving on from there because you can't build a sustainable program there.  He stays one more year at Bumbleville U and goes 11-2 or better and he can make the next jump.  You already see it with Scott Frost.  He will be the head coach at either Nebraska or Florida next year.  I hope that coach Joe takes his job at Central Florida.  That is the best option Joe will get.  He succeeds there and then the sky is the limit.

We are all now dumber for having read your post
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:17 pm »

AOC, you've said this a couple of times now. Interested to know what your thinking is here.

I think Minnesota has perennially been the poor cousin of the Big 10.  If you go back over the past 40+ years, most coaches with the exception of Glen Mason and Lou Holtz never made it to a higher level.  Holtz was actually below .500 there. Maybe Fleck will be able to break the trend. Outside of PSU and Ohio State, there's no super programs in the Big 10 at this point. Michigan isn't impressive against the good teams. An awful lot of mediocre and bad programs and Minnesota is historically one of them.  Fleck is going to need a 10 win season and big bowl game to make a jump up.  Maybe he'll get it rolling there and decide he likes it and stay.   I'm not sure that's his MO, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 06:32:07 am »

Problem is that most of you are still stuck in the 1980's mindset.. its not just about Nebraska , Oklahoma , Alabama and Norte Dame anymore.  Now almost every major team is paying 2 million plus to their Coach and every team is on national tv. Maybe you don't win a national championship at minnasota or tcu or Virginia tech or Stanford or Mississippi state or Michigan state or Wisconsin but it's not a bad place to be. Someone go ask the following people how those dream jobs turned out

Al golden , Bill Callahan , Ron zook , Charlie Weiss , Charlie strong , Jim mcelwain , soon to be mike Rielly , Brett bilema , butch jones ,

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:13 am »

Not a problem at all. I liked the 80s. Fun decade.

I believe Fleck, who is the Coach we’re talking about has other motivations.  I saw him speak at a clinic. Different guy. I think he wants to be a legendary coach, not just a wealthy one.  Not many legends coming out of Gopher Land. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 09:55:30 am »

First I will say, unless you ask, you really do not know someone's ambitions.

Second, you can't control what jobs are available each year. 

Third, to some extent you have to strike when the iron is hot.  If you build and establish a successful program, people will make a move to hire you.  You have to know your own marketability for the next year AND BEYOND.

Fourth, adding to the and beyond, you have to know how your team will perform the next year so you better handle on expected results (what players are coming back, who can fill in, will they be able to fill voids, improve upon or go backwards), plus you have to do the same and know/predict how will the team do against next's years schedule.  Essentially, will I succeed next year or go backwards.  If you feel the team will go backwards, you may have to jump at what is available.

I do think Fleck was becoming a hot commodity coach, but you have to keep in mind he was coming from WMU and not a lower Power 5 team, or even a bit higher say a better Mountain West Conf. team.
Take a look at this year's WMU team: 5-4.
- Losses to USC and Mich State (legit losses to bigger Power 5 teams)
- Wins against Wagner and Idaho, (whop de do)
- Wins against Ball St, squeezed past Eastern Mich and Buffalo (not very impressive)
- Loses to Akron and Central Mich. (ouch)
Do you this Fleck left at the right time??? 
From the looks of it, YES!

My point is if you know you are going to take a step backwards, sometimes you have to bolt for a good but not great opportunity while you have the chance.

Look at Moorhead, he is becoming a desirable hire as he is at a program on the rise, he has head coaching experience (even at a lower level) and has worked at other FBS programs.  However, he lacks HC experience at the FBS level.  I would guess that right now his max offer would be from a lower level Power 5 team.  That is what I see him at now. 

So he has to think, I have a steady $1mil OC job at a school I like and chill, plus if we continue to be a steady B10 power then maybe I get a mid level Power 5 job.   BUT, if the program starts to fall, he no longer becomes an attractive candidate and his chances of landing the Power 5 job fades away.

There are only so many high paying jobs out there.  Again look at the MAC, Sunbelt, Conf USA and even AAF salaries vs the lower Power 5 job salaries.  There is a big disparity.  Not that it is all about coin but lets face it a guaranteed 5 year at $3.5 mil vs a 5 year $1 mil and a chance to get the big time is a big decision to make.

I am sure Moorhead is smart enough to realize when and where is the right opportunity. I wish him the best.

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 12:29:56 pm »

I agree with all that, chaka.  I re-read most of the recent posts and everyone really isn't that far off from a consensus opinion.  JM will likely end up at a lower level P5 school or an upper tier non-P5 one (Central Florida) but he's not getting a big P5 offer straight from being OC at PSU.

Maybe there's some disagreement around Fleck but it's really not that big a deal even though I agree with Chaka's take.  I remember Brian White was a grad ass't at Fordham before doing the same at Notre Dame and rising up to be national coordinator of the year at Wisconsin.  Seemed like he was next in line for a big time job.  Alvarez leaves, names Bielema his successor and next thing you know WHite is a journeyman coach and never even got a cup of coffee as HC
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »

Not a problem at all. I liked the 80s. Fun decade.

I believe Fleck, who is the Coach we’re talking about has other motivations.  I saw him speak at a clinic. Different guy. I think he wants to be a legendary coach, not just a wealthy one.  Not many legends coming out of Gopher Land. 

So you paid your 50 bucks to hear fleck speak at a clinic one time and you're suddenly an expert on the subject.. sounds much like the rest of your posts on here. Random coach speak , cliches , blah blah random football terms and hope that you can fool people into believing you actually know something ..

I hope  you got a free pen and a bowl of soup at that clinic also..
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »

Can you ever disagree with a poster without coming off as a jerk?
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2017, 07:19:55 pm »

Bad loss to MI State, and an Amazing loss by Thee Ohio State at Iowa.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »

Coach Joe needs to get out of Dodge ASAP and distance himself from Franklin.  What a wing-nut Franklin is.  I love him blaming the "distractions" on why they lost.  How bout how Franklin has not prepared his team to deal with distractions.

He is a clown. I would love to watch someone run the score up on him like he did to the Little Sisters of the Pool College earlier in the year.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: