fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:39:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Moorhead doing well

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Moorhead doing well  (Read 2515 times)
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 11:07:33 pm »

Can you ever disagree with a poster without coming off as a jerk?

AOC is a big boy.. he can dish it it out and he can take it .. no harm no foul .. don't worry about me or address me unless you have something of value to add. I stopped paying attention to you a long time ago..
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »

He is a clown. I would love to watch someone run the score up on him like he did to the Little Sisters of the Pool College earlier in the year.

The Little Sisters of the Pool were featured in the 1981 Mel Brooks comedy film, "History of the World: Part 1." They appeared in the "Spanish Inquisition" scene, doing an homage to Esther Williams films.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 11:14:25 pm »

I stopped paying attention to you a long time ago..

And yet here you are, responding to a post of mine. Do you even read what you post.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »

And yet here you are, responding to a post of mine. Do you even read what you post.  Roll Eyes

When you address me directly I may respond .. nobody gets a free pass
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 11:46:47 pm »

So you paid your 50 bucks to hear fleck speak at a clinic one time and you're suddenly an expert on the subject.. sounds much like the rest of your posts on here. Random coach speak , cliches , blah blah random football terms and hope that you can fool people into believing you actually know something ..

I hope  you got a free pen and a bowl of soup at that clinic also..

Donít like what I write, donít read or respond.  Do I care?

I got a nice laminated portfolio, too. 
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 11:48:27 pm »

When you address me directly I may respond .. nobody gets a free pass

That's fine with me, I can use the laughs. And even though you told me not to address you unless some standard or other...as long as you continue to post nonsense, I'll address you whenever I please.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2017, 05:23:03 am »

Coach Joe needs to get out of Dodge ASAP and distance himself from Franklin.  What a wing-nut Franklin is.  I love him blaming the "distractions" on why they lost.  How bout how Franklin has not prepared his team to deal with distractions.

He is a clown. I would love to watch someone run the score up on him like he did to the Little Sisters of the Pool College earlier in the year.

And how We/JM ran up the score on plenty of teams during his tenure?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2017, 08:07:25 am »

And how We/JM ran up the score on plenty of teams during his tenure?

Not Coach Moorhead running up the score.....Coach NumbNuts Franklin....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/penn_state/penn-state-football-james-franklin-georgia-state-brandon-wright-20170919.html
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:26 am »

The Little Sisters of the Pool were featured in the 1981 Mel Brooks comedy film, "History of the World: Part 1." They appeared in the "Spanish Inquisition" scene, doing an homage to Esther Williams films.

I am sorry, I forgot how perfect you are FuCup69.....

Little Sisters of the POOR!!
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:30 am »

I love JMs coaching style and he's most likely the best coach we've had in the modern era.

That said, he never saw a scoreboard he didn't want to break. He'd run it up on anyone when he could.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:10 am »

I am sorry, I forgot how perfect you are FuCup69.....

I ask again, who is this FuCup69 that you are always calling names? Is she one of the Little Sisters of the Pool? I've never seen one of her posts on these boards.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:14 am »

I love JMs coaching style and he's most likely the best coach we've had in the modern era.

That said, he never saw a scoreboard he didn't want to break. He'd run it up on anyone when he could.

In my opinion, Clawson is the better coach, and had a much tougher job at Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »

True dat, But the Little Sisters of the Poor do amazing work with the poor and dying. 
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 04:26:56 pm »

Coach Joe needs to get out of Dodge ASAP and distance himself from Franklin.  What a wing-nut Franklin is.  I love him blaming the "distractions" on why they lost.  How bout how Franklin has not prepared his team to deal with distractions.

One more loss and JM may have to adjust the expectations of his next job
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »

In my opinion, Clawson is the better coach, and had a much tougher job at Fordham.
Agreed.  I think this is the consensus among the players, coaches and fans that I know.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 03:36:12 am »

Interesting distinction.  I agree Clawson had a tougher job.  He certainly didn't have the scholarship advantage.  Two very good coaches.  
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:21 am »

I agree on Clawson.  And if I had to pick one player who turned the corner for us, it was Kirwin Watson.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 08:05:34 am »

Moorhead was at Fordham at an opportune time.  He made the most of it though. Did a great job recruiting and brought in some quality players Fordham had never seen the likes of.  Both tremendous coaches, both got Fordham off the mat and made the program relevent for a time. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 08:15:07 am »

Different paths to success. Moorhead got us a quick shot in the arm with some killer transfers, Nebrich, Tebucky and Pretalow.  I think that's why you hire a big program assistant.  You can snag 3-5 transfers right away, guys from the school that the coach is leaving along with guys he may have heavily recruited at that school who are elsewhere and looking to move. Rinse repeat every 3-4 years.....of course both coaches also respective offensive gurus.

As discussed, here is my pick:
http://www.goarmywestpoint.com/coaches.aspx?rc=265&path=football
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:22 am »

Moorhead was at Fordham at an opportune time.  He made the most of it though. Did a great job recruiting and brought in some quality players Fordham had never seen the likes of.  Both tremendous coaches, both got Fordham off the mat and made the program relevent for a time. 

That's exactly right.  Amazing job by both.  When Clawson came in the AI-by-school was a huge competitive advantage for Fordham and he used it to his fullest, as he should have.  For Moorhead, it was scholarships.  Either way, we found out soon after that just having some advantage doesn't equal automatic wins.  They're both amazing coaches. 

I do think there's a bump that Clawson gets overall for being the first to break through as we had such a brutal reputation back then that coaches who simply flirted with getting us to .500 in I-AA were considered huge successes prior to him coming in. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 08:22:20 am »

A little luck never hurts either....wasnt it Coach O'Keefe who steered Kirwin our way from Iowa?
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:41 am »

A little luck never hurts either....wasnt it Coach O'Keefe who steered Kirwin our way from Iowa?

good call out -- yes...I also think Masella doesn't get nearly enough credit for the talent he brought in, especially from Texas and on the defensive side of the ball.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:15 pm »

good call out -- yes...I also think Masella doesn't get nearly enough credit for the talent he brought in, especially from Texas and on the defensive side of the ball.

+1.  To this day I don't understand how it all went south on Masella. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:27 pm »

Some coaches just have the magic. Very hard to quantify.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:10 am »

I had heard from multiple people that the team was divided (scholarship v. non-scholarship) and it had a serious impact on the team's performance.

I wasn't in the locker room, so cannot confirm, but this was something I had heard from multiple people - including some players on that team.

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:24 am »

in addition to what 07 wrote which is a growing pain any program moving from non scholarship to scholarship goes through I do not think he was a discipline, attention to detail guy.  I like him alot but the teams were remarkably undisciplined.  Part of why things took off as quickly as they did imo is because Moorhead brought a few transfers in who combined with the big talent Masella brought in but he drilled in a discipline and attention to detail that helped all that coalesce.  Moorhead's greatest gift, in addition to being a great offensive mind, is his ability to get players believing they can do it.  His players play with a confidence level beyond their abilities imo and amazing things happen when you think and expect that you'll be able to do something really really difficult - it works. 

That's my take at least
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2017, 10:10:45 am »

I had heard from multiple people that the team was divided (scholarship v. non-scholarship) and it had a serious impact on the team's performance.

I wasn't in the locker room, so cannot confirm, but this was something I had heard from multiple people - including some players on that team.

I've heard this too, and from a source I think is beyond reproach.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2017, 12:12:08 pm »

That's just another excuse in a long line of excuses. When you strap on the helmet and it's 3rd and 2 vs Lehigh or Colgate you either get it done or you don't.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »

That's just another excuse in a long line of excuses. When you strap on the helmet and it's 3rd and 2 vs Lehigh or Colgate you either get it done or you don't.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. I'm not making excuses for Masella or the players, but rather passing on some information I've heard about why his team performed so poorly over the last year or so of his tenure.

It wasn't a talent issue. I think that much is clear. Unlike what we've seen with AB, those teams quit. They stopped caring at some point. Masella wasn't able to get them back on track and ultimately lost his job.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2017, 01:30:59 pm »

in addition to what 07 wrote which is a growing pain any program moving from non scholarship to scholarship goes through I do not think he was a discipline, attention to detail guy.  I like him alot but the teams were remarkably undisciplined.  Part of why things took off as quickly as they did imo is because Moorhead brought a few transfers in who combined with the big talent Masella brought in but he drilled in a discipline and attention to detail that helped all that coalesce.  Moorhead's greatest gift, in addition to being a great offensive mind, is his ability to get players believing they can do it.  His players play with a confidence level beyond their abilities imo and amazing things happen when you think and expect that you'll be able to do something really really difficult - it works. 

That's my take at least

No doubt Masella brought in talent but it seemed obvious to me that he was far form a disciplinarian.  Not sure the players really brought in to any team concept.  What bothered me was he constant screaming on the sidelines.  A buddy of mine that I played HS ball with told me that he was easily the least liked coaches by the PL referees, always bitching and complaining about every call.  From the few games that I saw him on the sidelines that was true.  By contrast I always seemed amazed at how calm Moorhead was.  It seemed like it took a lot for him to get upset at officials.

I agree with PA here in that from what I could gather as Moorhead got the team to buy in to him, his system, hi team effort and next man up.  Win and lose as a team.  I feel my Philly Eagles seem to have that same mindset and the players do not care as much as who is getting more playing time as long as they keep winning.  I watched the story on the Buffalo Bills last night and they referenced how they were known as the Bickering Bills with all of the star players with massive egos.  They recognized it, addressed it and said the results got better and better.  I am convinced you have to get the team to 'buy-in' to be very successful.  I am not so sure Breiner has any buy in.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: