fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:38:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Exhibition Game Fredonia 11/3

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhibition Game Fredonia 11/3  (Read 2451 times)
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »

79 - 41 final. Evans had 19 points in 23 minutes. The 3 players mentioned earlier did not play in the 2nd half either.

GO RAMS.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:52 pm »

Evans really impressed- poised, confident, good handle, shoots it.   
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:25 pm »

think top level competition will keep Trey Evens in Ball game for 35+ minutes or MORE!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »

Some takeaways from tonight's exhibition:

Tre Evans - will be our leading scorer this season. A talented combo guard who can shoot it, take it to the hoop, pass and rebound. He is a better player than Anderson now and will get better.

Will Tavares - is in top condition, is jumping out of the building but is relaxed and in control at all times. He was all over the court with seven rebounds, hit some threes and had some good driving scores. Looks focused and motivated and will have a big year.

Joseph Chartouny - was his usual steady, reliable self. Let's the game come to him. Hit some threes. Very much a team player. To use a sports cliche - he's a glue guy. Glad we have him and he's enjoying being a Ram.

Chuba Ohams - is stronger and faster than last year, has obviously taken the off-season conditioning program seriously. Is coming into his own, will block shots and defend on and off the ball.  Don't force it on offense, let the points come in the flow. Has to start.

Perris Hicks - he looked good and plays the point or off the ball equally well. Tough, hustling defender that showed a nice shooting touch. Good find by Ali Ton.

Ivan Raut - Following up on my prediction last week that he will be an important contributor for us, he another steal for Ali Ton. Heady player who does everything well, is athletic and is a very good shooter. Also a tough defender. Still adjusting to the American college game and will only get better. Keeper.

Prokop Slanina - looks bigger and stronger and is healthy. He has a knack for blocking shots - times it well and is crafty with that. Steady, smart, will be key for us again. He has a good shooting touch but needs work on his shooting mechanics - he pushes his shot and loses some control of it. Is Ernie Hobbie in the house?

Ege Havsa - this is an interesting player. Slick passer who can shoot. Looks a bit stronger and faster than last season.

David Pekarek, Jesse Bunting and Nemanja did not suit up. Pekarek should be back next week, don't know about Bunting's shoulder injury. Nem is TBD.

The net-net: we are deeper and have more talent than last year. What's notable is we are more athletic and have more shooters, which in the A-10 is critical. Lots of good athletes and shooters/scorers in this league. Coach Neu was trying different combinations including going big using Chuba and Prokop on the floor at the same time. We played our usual suffocating defense but the competition was light, so hard to gauge that. I think this team will surprise if we can stay healthy. We are on the upswing and I think Coach Neubauer and his staff are doing a good job.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:20:20 am by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »

I attended the exhibition game and here are some of my RAMbling thoughts on what I saw:

1)   We have a deep team with a lot of players who can shoot the ball, especially the three, 17 total out of 43 attempts in the game for a 39.5% clip.  8 different players had a 3 pointer.

2)   As advertized, Evans is a scorer.. He scored 19 points on 7 for 11 shooting with 5 3 pointers.  He also had 7 rebounds.

3)   Hicks is very fast and can get to the basket picking up 5 out of 6 free throws from the line.  He scored 10 points.

4)   Tavares looks much improved, scoring 10 points on 4 for 10 from the field with 2 3 pointers and 7 rebounds.

5)   Raut looked good also scoring 11 with 4 for 8 from the field including three 3 pointers.

6)   9 different players had a steal (Chartouny had 2).

7)   Slanina had 7 rebounds and 3 blocks with only 1 foul in 21 minutes.

8)   Bunting, Zarkovic and Pekarek were in civies, so I assume they have some physical issues.

Of course we were playing a lower Division team and our 38 point victory and our stats must be tempered by that fact.  But in general I think we will not finish 13th in the A-10 as predicted.  My guess, middle of the pack.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 10:37:41 pm »

thanks for the info
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:51 pm »

2/3 of our shots were 3's.  Not a good habit to get into.

Box Score:  http://fordhamsports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7668
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 11:01:10 pm »

Tx, the thing is, we have 8 key players that can hit the three and it's a central focus of Coach Neu's offense. Don't think we'll see anything different during the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:45 pm »

Chartouny played off the ball all game
We did a good job looking to push the ball 
Raut is going to be a player in the future right now he can shoot but has ways to go on defense
Evans is going to make us forget Anderson
Hicks good defense better overall offensive player Anderson but not as athletic
Tavares was solid except  free throws.  Canít go 0-3.
Slanina Ohams are going to have to give us more on offense. Slanina should never take an early shot clock 3. Teams are going to beg him to shoot that shot he must not do it unless it is late in the clock. 

Overall solid effort But we better steal it a lot, get a few blocks and shoot it well because rebounding will be an issue.  Pushing the ball was fun to watch.  We are going to shoot threes even in transition get used to it. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »

Thanks guys. It is good to hear from people who were there. Stay healthy and take care of the ball and we should be improved this year.

GO RAMS.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 06:13:00 am »

Good recaps all.  Any updates on Bunting's injury?Just a precaution to sit him ?
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 06:49:10 am »

Had to miss last night. Great summaries. Most appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:31:19 pm by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 07:00:18 am »

62 shots to 45.  58.9% effective field goal percentage. 20 assists on 28 field goals with 8 turnovers.  Versus Fredonia with the reverse, 22 turnovers and 7 assists.  That's pretty much the blueprint.  8 guys playing 20 minutes or more, with room to add Pekarek and/or Bunting.  Reality starts next Friday. 
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:47 am »

Not a good habit to get into?? Then you may not want to watch the next 5 months.

The 3-Ball is the great equalizer at the college level. An open trey should be hit with the regularity of a free throw. This offense is predicated by pushing the ball and pulling from the outside.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 11:05:33 am »

Not a good habit to get into?? Then you may not want to watch the next 5 months.

The 3-Ball is the great equalizer at the college level. An open trey should be hit with the regularity of a free throw. This offense is predicated by pushing the ball and pulling from the outside.

Five months? I'll take that Grin
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 12:16:36 pm »

Tx, the thing is, we have 8 key players that can hit the three and it's a central focus of Coach Neu's offense. Don't think we'll see anything different during the season.
Probably not.  Was hoping Slanina would have a few more setups down low but 4 of his 6 shots were 3s.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »

+1. Was thinking the same. This team will shoot the 3 a lot!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »

Exactly, its an exhibition against a team you knew that you would crush. what good would pounding it down low all game to Slanina and Ohams?  That wont be the case in the A-10, plus, no Bunting.  Sounds like a good plan for a game like this.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:23 pm »

Expected we'd shoot a lot of 3's.  Was just hoping for more of a balance, that's all. 

And open 3's as high a percentage as FT's?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 04:22:50 pm »

Expected we'd shoot a lot of 3's.  Was just hoping for more of a balance, that's all. 

And open 3's as high a percentage as FT's?Huh?

Your original comment - looking for Slamina to post. Itís not 1997, game has changed.

and Yes, absolutely. Any college guard will tell you he should can any open look from the perimeter. Funny thatís the point you want to focus on on  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »

Your original comment - looking for Slamina to post. Itís not 1997, game has changed.

and Yes, absolutely. Any college guard will tell you he should can any open look from the perimeter. Funny thatís the point you want to focus on on  Huh?
Peter, given the top 50 Div 1 shooters together average maybe 45%, albeit against some contested, I just didn't see the average shooter making 70+% uncontested, especially on our team, that's all.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2017, 07:07:15 pm »

Exactly the reason Rhoomes dominated as a senior and we won 17 games. Even St. John's had nobody who could guard him. Ironically the change in the game can help a school like us if we have a big and the opponent doesnt. The league has a dearth of bigs, Exploit it in the A-10, if you get the chance, but I agree that in this game, posting some DIII forward isnt going to help much to get us ready.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:50 pm »

Peter, given the top 50 Div 1 shooters together average maybe 45%, albeit against some contested, I just didn't see the average shooter making 70+% uncontested, especially on our team, that's all.

Right, Iím referring to an open look set up by a good pass (great ball movement necessary)

Weíre not disagreeing. If anything, you do need to get the ball in - in order to pop it back out.

IMO, Slanina will shoot it nearly as much as CS. Donít know if he will score it as much, but itís a cleaner, more fluid form. 6í10 with a high release 19 ft from the rim is a problem for any defense .
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:10 pm »

What country is Fredonia?  Evil

Is that near the Duchy of Lower Silesia?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 03:01:28 pm »

It borders on its arch-enemy, Sylvania.  See Duck Soup with Groucho Marx as President Rufus T. Firefly. Hail Fredonia.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:17 pm »

No offense to you Tx, but I'd LOVE to hear Drunkles response to this.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:11 pm »

For Rufus T. the spelling of the country was (Hail) Freedonia.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 05:09:07 pm »

No offense to you Tx, but I'd LOVE to hear Drunkles response to this.

58.9% eFG% (which would have been 2nd in the country if sustained all year).  Like 85 said, you could have just pounded it down low on a smaller team, but that won't be the case all the time so may as well practice the way you will play.  69% 3 point rate.  That is a lot.  Would easily have led the NCAAs last year. No team averaged more than 60% (3s as a percentage of all attempts), and only 4 more than 50%.

Fordham's 3 point rate last year was 23rd in the country at 44.3%.  Davidson had a slightly higher rate.  And no surprise, Michigan was the most notable team ahead of them at 18th. 

At least they made them.  And taking 3s usually cuts down on TOs.  Things will be more balanced than that most nights.  I'd have liked it if it wasn't mostly Evans and Raut, and some of the returnees made more than 33%.  Maybe the newbies will just be good.

Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:47 am »

58.9% eFG% (which would have been 2nd in the country if sustained all year).  Like 85 said, you could have just pounded it down low on a smaller team, but that won't be the case all the time so may as well practice the way you will play.  69% 3 point rate.  That is a lot.  Would easily have led the NCAAs last year. No team averaged more than 60% (3s as a percentage of all attempts), and only 4 more than 50%.

Fordham's 3 point rate last year was 23rd in the country at 44.3%.  Davidson had a slightly higher rate.  And no surprise, Michigan was the most notable team ahead of them at 18th. 

At least they made them.  And taking 3s usually cuts down on TOs.  Things will be more balanced than that most nights.  I'd have liked it if it wasn't mostly Evans and Raut, and some of the returnees made more than 33%.  Maybe the newbies will just be good.

And there it is. TX you are right to 69% 3 point rate is too high. I think that will go down when we play better defensive teams who guard the arc better. I think 48-50% is probably a good number for us.

Everybody get ready. This is not going to be your Grandfather's Rams. JN could care less about what the "right thing" to do is. He wants to win and is looking for every edge to get there. So refreshing after the empty suits Hill and Pecora and the old school thinking of DW.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2017, 02:36:46 pm »

Your Fingers to God's display.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: