fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:39:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

ESPN Insider: A10 Conference Predicted Standings

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN Insider: A10 Conference Predicted Standings  (Read 732 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:15 am »

A reminder of what public perception is:

Predicting every college basketball conference's standings
Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer

Atlantic 10

Archie Miller and Will Wade both moved onward and upward, so the league's usual three-plus NCAA tournament bids could be hard to come by. Dan Hurley, however, has a team capable of winning a game in March (again), as Rhode Island brings back four guys who started at least 16 games last season. St. Bonaventure still has the backcourt of Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley, while Saint Louis will have massively improved talent.

1. Rhode Island Rams
  2. VCU Rams
  3. St. Bonaventure Bonnies
  4. Saint Louis Billikens
  5. Saint Joseph's Hawks
  6. Dayton Flyers
  7. La Salle Explorers
  8. Davidson Wildcats
  9. Richmond Spiders
10. George Mason Patriots
11. George Washington Colonials
12. Massachusetts Minutemen
13. Duquesne Dukes
14. Fordham Rams
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:44:13 am »

FYI -

Miami Red Hawks, predicted dead last (6th) in the MAC East.
LIU Brooklyn, predicted 5th of 10 in the NEC
Florida State, predicted 8th of 15 in the ACC

I can post the rest later if you'd like.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:30:57 am »

It is a herd mentality.  Everyone says SLU has a massive influx of talent so it must be true.  Remember last year UMASS was supposed to be better than they were because of their recruiting and Mason was picked to play in the pig.  I think we can agree that URI and the Bonnie’s are the best teams in the league assuming Adams is healthy (dealing with an ankle injury). After that SJU if Newkirk comes back. 

Beyond that big questions for every team.  The league is open this year.  We can finish 5-13 or 10-8 it is that volatile.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:43:10 am »

Great Bulletin Board Material for the Team! Based upon no more than the positive feedback from my Board brethren, who reported upon last week's exhibition game, plus my perception of Jeff's ability to maximize a team's performance, imo there is no way Fordham finishes among the bottom three in our conference. 7-11 is probably realistic barring major injuries to our core players. But what do I know?    Wink

1. Rhode Island Rams
  2. VCU Rams
  3. St. Bonaventure Bonnies
  4. Saint Louis Billikens
  5. Saint Joseph's Hawks
  6. Dayton Flyers
  7. La Salle Explorers
  8. Davidson Wildcats
  9. Richmond Spiders
10. George Mason Patriots
11. George Washington Colonials
12. Massachusetts Minutemen
13. Duquesne Dukes
14. Fordham Rams

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:51:31 am »

FYI Mason just lost its 6-8 forward who decided to leave and go back to Europe.  He was going to be a role player in an already thin front court. 

SLU has 3 players that may not play because of sexual assault allegations that are still unresolved.  The school has been tight lipped on this issue but it is hanging around. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/minus-three-players-billikens-outlast-harris-stowe/article_40da0eb7-e8bc-55a0-901d-66a42bdd3d7e.html

Of course no one takes this stuff into account because it would require actual thought and investigation. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:04:40 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »

A few more...

Note the discrepancy, nearly every opponent is either projected at the very top - or bottom of their respective conference.

Tulane - 11th of 12 teams in the American Athletic
Manhattan - 2nd in the MAAC (Lets stop marking that with a sharpie W)
E. Tenn St - 6th in the Southern
Maine - 9th of 9, dead last in the America East
Harvard - 1st in Ivy
St. Francis (NY) - 10th of 10, dead last in the NEC
Rutgers - 14th of 14, dead last in Big Ten
Florida A&M - 7th of 12 in the MEAC
West Virginia - 2nd in the Big 12
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 01:27:24 pm »

Rutgers is underrated they will be good.  If we lose to Manhattan this year after that disgrace last year I will be pissed off. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »

Playing Manhattan at 2pm the Sunday after Thanksgiving negates any home court advantage
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:30:55 am »

This is a joke. Just the easy answer to put us last. I love it. I want to be the hunter with a chip on my shoulder. This is the best I have felt about our program since the Dunston years.

Everything is lined-up for the breakthrough. Now we just need some breaks. Last year pretty much every break went against us. (Flu, Injuries, GW crazy loss, A-10 crazy loss.) We are due for the opposite this year.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:29 am »

Playing Manhattan at 2pm the Sunday after Thanksgiving negates any home court advantage
that's why any game we play that weekend should be an away game.  It is a weekend to play at a cupcake school to they don't have any home court advantage. Home games on Thanksgiving weekend make absolutely no sense.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:54 am »

that's why any game we play that weekend should be an away game.  It is a weekend to play at a cupcake school to they don't have any home court advantage. Home games on Thanksgiving weekend make absolutely no sense.

LOL. Going by that logic, nobody would host a game that weekend. No basketball Thanksgiving weekend!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:29:06 am »

LOL. Going by that logic, nobody would host a game that weekend. No basketball Thanksgiving weekend!
the cupcakes will be happy to host those games in order to get a home game against a higher profile program.  That's the weekend when we should play at St. Pete's, FDU, St. Francis or at Army, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:30 am »

Giants stink jets are mediocre cowboys play Thursday.  Is this really that bad a day to go to a 2 pm basketball game? Is traffic that bad in the afternoon?   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 10:42:26 am »

Giants stink jets are mediocre cowboys play Thursday.  Is this really that bad a day to go to a 2 pm basketball game? Is traffic that bad in the afternoon?   

Probably not, and sounds like a nice way to close out the weekend. However, the Jets are the PERFECT type of mediocre. No-one expected them to be relevant and they're looking at .500 this weekend playing against Fitz and an Evans-less Bucs.

The Jets and Knicks are stealing the show this fall. They're fun to watch and winning games. Knicks are must watch TV right now with KP and his collection of role players playing entertaining basketball.

I'd like to say the biggest issue here is that students wont be there, but we still haven't captured their attention. Hopefully this year that changes. Don't they know going to a college baskball game is a lot of fun? Especially after a 12 pack of natty light?! I'll be happy to give a few tutorials  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »

on Thanksgiving weekend???  And it's not just the traffic at 2 but also at 4 for the trip home and traffic at that hour at the end of a holiday weekend could be especially brutal.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »

the cupcakes will be happy to host those games in order to get a home game against a higher profile program.  That's the weekend when we should play at St. Pete's, FDU, St. Francis or at Army, etc.

Seems over-simplified. It is not as though we are going to be a big draw for them. I could see a higher profile program being attractive to them, but at the same time the higher profile program has no issues drawing at home on a holiday weekend.

The Manhattan game should be the Saturday night of Thanksgiving every year. I know it is not the rivalry it once was, but it is our crosstown rival and the team we have played the most in our history.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 03:50:04 pm »

The Manhattan game should be the Saturday night of Thanksgiving every year. I know it is not the rivalry it once was, but it is our crosstown rival and the team we have played the most in our history.

Agreed, but in line with the fact that "it's not the rivalry it once was," it's neither that nor is it one we should continue as a primary interest. Does it have to be annual? I don't really care. Should we lose it entirely? Probably not. As you said, the Saturday night of Thanksgiving week is the right slot. Fordham/Manhattan may be "history," but it's not in line with the current or future of the program.

Back to the topic at hand, I have no doubt it'll be a tough OOC game, one that could flip us from a 4-7 type OOC record, to 7-4, or vice versa.
Report Spam   Logged

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »

in my opinion, you always have some advantage playing at home     I don't think we lose 100 % of our home court advantage on Thanksgiving weekend   sight lines, familiar surroundings etc.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 04:49:29 pm »

Seems over-simplified. It is not as though we are going to be a big draw for them. I could see a higher profile program being attractive to them, but at the same time the higher profile program has no issues drawing at home on a holiday weekend.

I agree.  This kind of scheduling rule is what allows a rivalry to be developed and planned around far in advance.  This should be a NYC Thanksgiving weekend tradition and produced as such.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:58 pm »

Yes, Thanksgiving weekend is bad.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: