fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 05:10:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. LIU Brooklyn Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/13/17

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. LIU Brooklyn Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/13/17  (Read 2619 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:27 am »

Next up. LIU Brooklyn just dropped one last night to Tulane, 102-96. That may give a pretty good gauge of both teams.

Former walk-on (there's talent, everywhere) Raiquan Clark had 34 on 14/20 shooting. That's pretty serious.

RS Senior guard Joel Hernandez is back from injury, dropped 23.

Team shot 38/76 (50%) from the field.

Another game that had been marked with a sharpie W, doesn't feel like it anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

They have some talent no doubt and guys that can score. They are a better team than Miami Ohio so its going to take a major reversal of last nights play to have a chance.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:07:56 am »

They have some talent no doubt and guys that can score. They are a better team than Miami Ohio so its going to take a major reversal of last nights play to have a chance.

we can't dismiss any expectations altogether, right? Fordham played a 'D-' game, shot the ball as badly as you can, and lost by 1 in an ugly opener.

LIU Brooklyn is low-level D1. Fordham may be low-level D1, I don't think so. To say it'll take a "major reversal to have a chance" is not accurate. Emotional, but not accurate.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:26 am »

If we are halfway through the game and chuba Slanina and Bunting are not rebounding or scoring do we see a lineup of Chartouny Evans Hicks Raut Tavares?   Need to light a fire under our bigs if they are so passive on the boards again.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 10:26:58 am »

Each one of those guys averages more than 5 personal fouls per 40 minutes over the past season and yesterday. You just cant win if these guys take 10 to 15 fouls every game. Its too many free throws and we cant possibly offset it because they dont contribute on offense. Rich is right on the lineup change.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:40:42 am »

You don't want to reward a guy for a subpar effort but I keep remembering Slanina being all-Universe the first 4 minutes against Dayton last year, and how he often seemed to contribute early in games. Raut didn't do anything to lose his starting spot, so maybe switch Slanina for Ohams Monday?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:54:51 am »

I donít think you need to make changes starting Monday.  Read them the riot act tell them get it together or ride the pine.  Then send them out there.  If they donít do their job tether them to the bench go small.  Iíve heard Pekarek will be back Monday. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:28 am »

You don't want to reward a guy for a subpar effort but I keep remembering Slanina being all-Universe the first 4 minutes against Dayton last year, and how he often seemed to contribute early in games. Raut didn't do anything to lose his starting spot, so maybe switch Slanina for Ohams Monday?

Not that interested in who "starts" - With the exception of Chartouny, I don't think anyone deserves to be a surefire starter. Don't think Raut did anything to win or lose a starting spot, was surprised he played 30 minutes and Havsa 7.

Yes, impressed wth Tavares but I can make a case that he's a jolt off the bench after the first media timeout.
Report Spam   Logged

Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »

LIU went down to the wire in New Orleans against Tulane, coming back from a double-digit deficit to get to within 2 before Tulane reeled off 4 FTs to seal the win.   As usual, LIU pushes the score and won't keep us in the game like Miami did.  They are not big and Tulane killed them with second-chance points.   However, that's not something we do well.  This would be the team to switch things up against, but I doubt we'll see that.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »

we can't dismiss any expectations altogether, right? Fordham played a 'D-' game, shot the ball as badly as you can, and lost by 1 in an ugly opener.

LIU Brooklyn is low-level D1. Fordham may be low-level D1, I don't think so. To say it'll take a "major reversal to have a chance" is not accurate. Emotional, but not accurate.

When you shoot as bad as bad as we did and get outrebounded as bad as we did Then to me that requires a major reversal. Sorry not emotional but realistic.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:41:21 pm »

When you shoot as bad as bad as we did and get outrebounded as bad as we did Then to me that requires a major reversal. Sorry not emotional but realistic.

Sorry, that makes no sense. They wonít shoot 3/24 again. Be sensible.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:41:26 pm »

Well, when you look at the metrics, we only played the three (3) bigs a total of 39 minutes combined. So if that is the game plan, we essentially only have one (1)  big on the floor the entire game. Raut doesnt appear to be a rebounder and Pekarek plays soft. Guards will have to significantly help out in this area.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »

Well, Tavares has shown that he can rebound with 7 rebounds each in the exhibition and against Miami.  He is 6'6" tall and athletic.  We know that Chartouny is an excellent rebounding guard.  The need then is to get either some of our big men to do their job or others to take up the slack.  Evans is touted as the replacement for Hawkins who was an excellent rebounder last year.  Hopefully, he can help out with this task.  Maybe Raut can learn to rebound well.  He had 4 against Miami, not too bad.
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »

Second game of the season and we are facing a must win situation. Gut check time on Monday. We can't be 0-2 heading to Jamaica because that can be 0-5 in a heartbeat.
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 12:36:31 am »

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3171623/liu-brooklyn-vs-tulane-m-basketball
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 01:22:42 am »

Derrick Kellog @ LIU Good Team
Mike Dunleavy @ Tulane Good Team

Fordham has Hands Full
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:42 am »

Derrick Kellog @ LIU Good Team
Mike Dunleavy @ Tulane Good Team

Fordham has Hands Full

Two bad coaches = Okay
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 12:03:46 pm »

Hopefully, Derrick Kellogg still coaches like Derrick Kellogg.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »

Slanina should be getting as much time as possible early in this season. Given what he missed last year, he needs experience. I think he will develop. But he needs to play, especially in the games we are supposed to win.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 03:19:57 pm »

George Mason beating Louisville by 3 5 minutes into 2nd half.  Now 5.  Just another chance for a quality win later.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 08:00:32 am »

Pomeroy says 9 point win. 76-67.  No line in Vegas yet. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:02:57 am »

Slanina should be getting as much time as possible early in this season. Given what he missed last year, he needs experience. I think he will develop. But he needs to play, especially in the games we are supposed to win.

He cant play as much as possible because he, along with Ohams, is a fouling machine.  2 fouls in 11 minutes.  Do the math.  Nearly 8 fouls per 40 minutes. Ohams had 5 fouls in 21 minutes. Even worse. You simply cant play these guys if they are going to average 8-10 fouls per 40 minutes, its ridiculous. And it was the same or worse last year.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:17 am »

And Sagarin has the Rams as 8 point favs.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 08:30:32 am »

Last year, Ohams and Slanina each averaged 6.7 fouls per 40 minute s played and Bunting 5.8 fouls per 40 minutes. Not sure if these metrics are commonplace for bigs, but they need to be offset by rebounding and scoring. They appear to be trending, albeit early, in the same direction this year. These are not Goran Skoko , rib fracture fouls, these are ticky tac fouls up high..... if you arent getting boards and scoring, I see no point to play these guys to keep picking up so many fouls and putting us in the hole every time they come into the game......so against a run and gun team like LIU......go small........or we will get killed at the line.....
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:36 am »

I did nit see the fouls as ticky tack Friday. Poor positioning late rotation caused most of them.  Getting pushed around underneath hurt also.  They all played soft Friday night. Put it behind you come out aggressive tonight.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:10 am »

Excited to watch the game tonight. Already forgot that Friday happened!

I feel like JN's teams play up and down to their opponents level. That's not the best quality to have, but I'm also not going to freak out after a bad loss.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 09:23:03 am »

Last year we needed to gel. Hawkins took a little while to get going and we got positive production from bench when needed. I agree, it very well could all come together after an opening night flop. 

I think Evans has the big game here. 28 points for him.

Rams 77   El Eye You  72
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:05 am »

One more thing: I think that lumping Slanina Ohams and Bunting together does not make sense.  They are all very different players.  Ohams should be perfect for this defense trapping and getting back.  You canít have a better physical fit.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:08 am »

It would not surprise me if there is no Vegas line at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:30 am »

Lumping together because they are the only 3 bigs we have and all 3 would foul out well before the game is over if they were to play 35 minutes. So unless you want to play with no bigs at all, one has to be on the floor and all 3 play due to the ridiculous penchant for fouling. 

Ohams to me is the best of the bunch based upon what we saw from him defensively last year, but if he has 4 fouls after 20 minutes, what can you do?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: