fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:34:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. LIU Brooklyn Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/13/17

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. LIU Brooklyn Pre-Game/Game Thread 11/13/17  (Read 2619 times)
Jaden Daly
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2017, 10:10:51 pm »

It's been a while since we started the year 1-for-1 in the happy recap department, but here goes. Went for an actual game recap tonight rather than the standard quotes and nuggets. Enjoy!

http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2017/11/rauts-21-slaninas-double-double-guide.html
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »

We will be a better team when Chartouny and Evans get going.  Nice spot Minutes by Bunting. Looked like Ohams tweeked his back but regardless he was ineffective when playing.  Good to see Pekarek back nice player to have off the bench.  Havsa struggled again.  Under rated player of the night: Hicks.  I like his game and can see him making big plays down the stretch of some games. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:02 pm »

much needed win    didn't know much about Raut going into the season so did not expect much but was obviously impressive tonight     very very meager crowd

lets get a win in Jamaica
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:59 am »

Back from the game and the story of this game was that Slanina was a BEAST and Raut was unconscious shooting the 3 ball.

Slanina scored 19 points with 11 rebounds, 3 blocked shots and 2 steals and went to the line hitting 6 out of 10.  Raut led the team in scoring with 7 threes and 21 points, adding 4 rebounds. 

If these two guys who before the season started were probably not considered to be key factors play like this, and Evans and Chartouny get their game together which so far has not been all that good, then we should have a pretty good team going forward.  Tavares also had a pretty good game with 13 points and 7 rebounds and he can definitely break down defenses and drive for the basket.  Hicks doesn't look to shoot but he also looks capable of good things in the future.

To be fair, Chartouny who missed about 5 layups and had 3 turnovers, still scored 15 points with 6 rebounds and 4 steals, so even when he isn't looking all that good, he still gets things done.

As mentioned, turnout was pathetic and the students barely showed up.  On to Jamaica.  My optimism, for better or worse, has returned.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:43 am »

Slanina scored 19 points with 11 rebounds, 3 blocked shots and 2 steals and went to the line hitting 6 out of 10.  Raut led the team in scoring with 7 threes and 21 points, adding 4 rebounds. 

Following the Lehigh FB game, these are the two names I focused on in practice.

I had given Slanina a rave review from his display of knockdown 20-footers. Meanwhile Raut looked lost and couldnít put one down. Good to see the latter is in fact capable of everything we thought he may be; my expectations were not high. This changes the equation.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Jaden Daly
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2017, 02:01:42 am »

Photo gallery:

http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2017/11/fordham-vs-liu-photo-gallery.html
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:41 am »

Nice win. Slanina showed big. Raut a revelation. Many other good supporting performances. Let's work on that killer instinct, guys. Well done!
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:11 am »

Solid win for the guys, congrats.  Still had 9 fouls for the 40 minutes on the bigs, but obviously offset nicely with the 3's, boards and  blocks.  Well done.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:00 am »

As mentioned, turnout was pathetic and the students barely showed up.

That's what happens when you leave a car sitting out in a field in the rain for twenty-five years...
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:48 am »

That's what happens when you leave a car sitting out in a field in the rain for twenty-five years...

Yep. Just keeping winning and the gym will fill up.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:23 am »

As mentioned, turnout was pathetic and the students barely showed up.  On to Jamaica.  My optimism, for better or worse, has returned.

Losing to a bad team in a bad game for your first game isn't going to draw any interest among students for the following LIU game. No way getting around that.

Huge game from Slanina. Great to see. Let's keep it going now.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:55 am »

One other take away: Slanina showed some nice post moves and finished 2-3 of them.  Should get some touches there all year.  We donít need to dump it in 10 times a game but 3-5 would work.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2017, 10:01:59 am »

One other take away: Slanina showed some nice post moves and finished 2-3 of them.  Should get some touches there all year.  We donít need to dump it in 10 times a game but 3-5 would work.

+1.  Forcing the opponent's coaches and players to figure out how to defend the post is huge.  If you get some off-the-ball action, you're golden.  The more looks you can throw out at our level, the better.  I think Slanina can be a good passer from the post, too.

Nice job on adjusting our defense - exactly what was called for in this game.
Report Spam   Logged
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2017, 10:56:30 am »

Losing to a bad team in a bad game for your first game isn't going to draw any interest among students for the following LIU game. No way getting around that.
Agree. I would argue further that 90% of the students didn't know Miami was a "bad" team we were probably supposed to beat.
The students are casual fans at best, mainly disinterested in athletics. They will come out for a winner for some entertainment if it suits their schedule.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »

The students have come out for free caps and pizza, and then leave soon after.  Even the University choir students who sing the National Athemn dash for the exits before the game starts along with their faculty director who, I'm told, gets paid to sing the NA. It is what it is.  If the team wins consistently some students might show up along with others who like to identify with winners.   
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:29 pm »

The students have come out for free caps and pizza, and then leave soon after.  Even the University choir students who sing the National Athemn dash for the exits before the game starts along with their faculty director who, I'm told, gets paid to sing the NA. It is what it is.  If the team wins consistently some students might show up along with others who like to identify with winners.   

National exposure gets students there. May take a few years. Or some big time wins at least. It is what it is. We as basketball fans and alums need to do our part.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »

National exposure gets students there. May take a few years. Or some big time wins at least. It is what it is. We as basketball fans and alums need to do our part.

Exactly right. Forget about the crowd for now. Just focus on the basketball, improving, and winning. The rest will come.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:52 pm »

The atmosphere was deplorable. Couldn't have been more than 300 people in the gym including the hot dog vendors and the players. The game wasn't clinched until about four minutes to go against a low level NEC team with a new coach. Hoping for the best but this could be a long year.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »

the team lays an egg in opener, they didnt deserve fans, you earn fans. keep the w's coming,they will show up a little more.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:36:44 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:17 pm »

You don't bail on your (fellow student's) team after a one point loss. If you're worried about losing texting time, you can do that in the stands while at least pretending to be interested in what's happening down on the floor.

It's better than nothing bros, which is mostly what I saw in the stands when the lame video feed last night decided to work for a moment or two, before freezing (yet) again.
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »

Much better!  I like the winning formula-sneak Steph Curry into Rauts uni and, well...me in Hernandez's.  I saw coach Kellogg,in an appropriate gesture for a great Jesuit University, look heavenward after Raut's sixth straight splash from deep.  He seemed to be saying where can I get one of those.  Kudos to those responsible for finding us yet another older frosh with international experience.  We have gone all in with this international theme-see the various flags on display in the RHG for each of the nationalities we have-heck, Joey Chartz is waving a Canadian one in the pre-game video montage!  Good to see Slanina looking so facile posting up as well as from outside.

As has been said, really small crowd.  Win, play interesting brand of ball and they will come.  Go Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »

Much better!  I like the winning formula-sneak Steph Curry into Rauts uni and, well...me in Hernandez's.  I saw coach Kellogg,in an appropriate gesture for a great Jesuit University, look heavenward after Raut's sixth straight splash from deep.  He seemed to be saying where can I get one of those.  Kudos to those responsible for finding us yet another older frosh with international experience.  We have gone all in with this international theme-see the various flags on display in the RHG for each of the nationalities we have-heck, Joey Chartz is waving a Canadian one in the pre-game video montage!  Good to see Slanina looking so facile posting up as well as from outside.

Reading your post made me remarkably uncomfortable.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: