fordhamfans.com
November 24, 2017, 05:18:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. Florida State (Montego Bay) - 11/17/17

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. Florida State (Montego Bay) - 11/17/17  (Read 2958 times)
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:32:03 am »

Pretty comprehensive overview of the 2017-18 Seminoles here:

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/2017-ACC-Basketball-Preview

I read that guy's ACC preview last couple of years.

Florida State, as usual, is huge, athletic and deep, although a lot of the time their 7'+ guys aren't exactly the most mobile.  They lost Rathan-Mayes, Bacon and Isaac, as well as Ojo and Jarquez Smith, but return plenty of bodies.  But I don't think C.J. Walker or Trent Forrest are particularly good as point guards.  They do have a couple of excellent shooters in PJ Savoy and Brian Angola-Rhodes.  MJ Walker is a top recruit, and Obiagu and Gray are fairly well thought of recruits, too.

They will go 11-12 deep, with two 7'-ers, Koumadje at 7'4" and Obiagu 7'.  Terrence Mann and Cofer are 2 older glue guys.  Hamilton I think is a decent coach, but more of the let them play variety, and he doesn't seem to get the most out of his teams.  They can get some big wins, lose some inexplicable games, and never go far in the NCAAs when they get there.  Last year and 2012 being years they had good teams that didn't do much in the tourney.  They won the ACC tournament in 2012 and were ranked 10th but lost to Cincy.  Last year they got up to #6 but got blown out by Xavier.  In 15 years under Hamilton they have been to one Sweet 16.

I'm not sure MJ Walker is going to step right out and be a go to scorer, and their new points may not be ready.  Their main thing is just going to be to wear you down with size, strength and speed.  They can crush a team, but also they can be vulnerable.  Last year they lost to Temple (kenpom 118), Pitt (79), Syracuse and Georgia Tech.  Among others.  And that was a really good team. Hofstra beat them in 2016.  That was a decent Hofstra team.  UMass (125), Northeaster and Mississippi St (159) all beat them in 2014-15, the last year before some big classes with Beasley and Bacon and then Isaac.  I think that may be about the level they will be at to start this year.

Last year they were 41st in turnovers per possession.  Pretty good, and for them very good.  But that was with Rathan-Mayes as a junior pg.  The year before they were 161st.  And in 2015 they were awful, 335th.  Rathan-Mayes wasn't a point coming out of high school, and he struggled at first in that area.  So they may be ripe for the picking, as it were.  Although we also don't want to get into an up and down with these guys.  It'll be interesting to see how Neubauer sets the D.

Their first game will be on the 14th against GW.  So we will get to see them against a familiar squad first.      
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: