fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:38:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. Florida State (Montego Bay) - 11/17/17

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. Florida State (Montego Bay) - 11/17/17  (Read 3059 times)
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »

Horrible matchup for us.  Evans is 3 games into his college career give him some time to get going.  Chartouny needs to get his ass in gear.  He is a junior talked about going pro ok I am fine with that but time to produce.  The declarations of lack of talent were made last year as well the team got it together as the year went on.  Will that happen this year?   I do not know but I am not going nuts over game 3 loss to an ACC team.

Carry on.

+1. This game exposed all our weaknesses and sped up our less experienced players. This team will get better shooting and handling the ball. Everything was out of sync last night and much of that is due to defensive pressure of FSU.

Newsflash we aren't ready to compete in the ACC yet. Luckily we don't have to.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »

Pretty much everyone here had this one penciled in as a 20 point loss. But the stat line is alarming. Obviously, Tulane is a much better gauge of where the team is.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2017, 01:18:14 pm »

+1. This game exposed all our weaknesses and sped up our less experienced players. This team will get better shooting and handling the ball. Everything was out of sync last night and much of that is due to defensive pressure of FSU.

Newsflash we aren't ready to compete in the ACC yet. Luckily we don't have to.

Yeah, I agree. The shooting percentages (and, to a lesser extent, the turnovers) were pretty unacceptable, but otherwise I don't think it's time to push the panic button. A 24-point loss to a large, long ACC team (in a weird setting, and with weird uniforms, no less) is not particularly surprising (and don't forget, they went on like a 13-2 run to end the game). Honestly, what do you think we're going to do against WVU and Rutgers? Give the FU players at least a little time to gel...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »

I think for folks of my era, we never expected to beat these sort of teams. But it always seemed like with Penders and Nick, we were tied at the half or close late until they pulled away. The past decade or more, we simply get absolutely annihilated in these games, and every year it seems like its a more embarrassing effort. Do I expect us to beat Florida State, no. Do I expect us to have a respectable, A-10 worthy showing, yes.  These games aren't just losses, they are total and complete meltdowns.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2017, 01:33:31 pm »

I think for folks of my era, we never expected to beat these sort of teams. But it always seemed like with Penders and Nick, we were tied at the half or close late until they pulled away. The past decade or more, we simply get absolutely annihilated in these games, and every year it seems like its a more embarrassing effort. Do I expect us to beat Florida State, no. Do I expect us to have a respectable, A-10 worthy showing, yes.  These games aren't just losses, they are total and complete meltdowns.

Fair point but to take this game declare guys stink donít want to play etc is jumping off the ledge. We were here last year and we improved as the year went on. There are troubling signs but there has been a big overreaction in my opinion. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2017, 01:37:00 pm »

Fair point but to take this game declare guys stink donít want to play etc is jumping off the ledge. We were here last year and we improved as the year went on. There are troubling signs but there has been a big overreaction in my opinion. 

In fairness, I had been drinking, and persuaded the owner to have the game on all of the televisions. 

I just dont see the effort in these big time games. Its like they go into them as a foregone conclusion. Maybe the talent gap has grown over the years but I dont see guys licking their chops with the chance to pull an upset and get a little national notoriety.  I'm old, from another era. We played NC and Hobbie and McIntosh were playing like animals, up at the half. SJU was #1 team in nation and we lost by 1 point. I think Goran broke Bill Wenningtons ribs with his elbows.  I remember Parotta squaring off with Matt Rust during an OT loss to SJU. That bite, that mentality seems lost in these games.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »

The most troubling thing to me is not effort, rebounding, etc. It is that the guys who are relied upon to score are not good enough shooters within the scheme that the coach runs.  He wants to play aggressive trapping defense and then look for the 3 on offense. We do not seem to have reliable 3 point shooters.  Without being able to hit that 3 consistently, the rest of the thing falls apart.

We had the same issue last year, and we last some guys who actually could put down a 3 once in a while.  Now through the last 2 games, the new guys have not shown they are up to it. If they can turn that around, then something may develop. If not, another long season looms.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2017, 02:15:52 pm »

In fairness, I had been drinking, and persuaded the owner to have the game on all of the televisions. 

I just dont see the effort in these big time games. Its like they go into them as a foregone conclusion. Maybe the talent gap has grown over the years but I dont see guys licking their chops with the chance to pull an upset and get a little national notoriety.  I'm old, from another era. We played NC and Hobbie and McIntosh were playing like animals, up at the half. SJU was #1 team in nation and we lost by 1 point. I think Goran broke Bill Wenningtons ribs with his elbows.  I remember Parotta squaring off with Matt Rust during an OT loss to SJU. That bite, that mentality seems lost in these games.

I think the talent gap thing has something to do with it. As you like to point out, there are too many DI teams these days and therefore too many scholarships to go around.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:45 pm »

The same point I was trying to make above but you said it better.
Report Spam   Logged
CTRAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2017, 08:21:55 pm »

What is with Fordham and not being able to recruit someone who can shoot the ball?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2017, 10:03:49 am »

Up to the challenge?  Let's see.  A repeat performance by Raut, the man from Montenegro, or as I like to call him, the Balkan Bomber, and the reappearance of the Havsa who did some serious A-10 damage last season would be great for the cause.  JC still seems a little jittery.  BTY if Raut is really what we saw (or close to it) vs LIU, he will be the must see college player in our area and folks will travel to see him.  That type of sharp shooter, who seemed to need very little space to get off his quick release shot, could have played almost anyplace in the country.  When I go to games at Iona, Manhattan and St. John's there always seems to be a lot of local hoops fans who show up.  This, for reasons that have been cited on this board for years, has not been the case at Fordham.  Maybe this could be the year we attract such fans to come and see a special player(s), a good brand of ball and enjoy the unique experience of taking in a game at the historic RHG. Go Rams!

Yes fans are just flocking to the Rose Hill gym.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »

Albeit well intentioned, it's the most absurd/delusional post I've ever read here.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: