fordhamfans.com
December 13, 2017, 07:44:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Mens NCAA tourney Soccer tonight 7pm JCF

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mens NCAA tourney Soccer tonight 7pm JCF  (Read 1096 times)
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 10:43:00 am »

Great win, can't believe I forgot to watch it

I don't use a lot of the soccer terms and always say cleats instead of boots, it can be fun to watch euro snobs try to tell me I am wrong

However I do like the term pace as it conveys something very soccer specific when talking about the way a pass is made or a player uses his speed above pure speed itself. The "weight" of a pass is also OK with me

I would never say pacy winger out loud now matter how you much you paid me
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 12:08:43 pm »

Certainly not a cheeky effort.

They also liked to say "equal"  instead of tied.  And what, pray tell,  was the commentary about flags down at the end?  Sounded like an American Futbol comment after a touchdown.

I believe it meant that there was no offside penalty on the play.  When a player is offside on a scoring opportunity the linesman (assistant referee) raises their flag ("flag is up").

In other words, the goal was good.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman_Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 01:02:14 pm »

Ace - I'm sure the coach meant it to be motivational!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »

This one gave me a good laugh! Thanks, joeb.

Fordham are playing splendidly...!
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »

I agree, each to one's own taste. I just don't like it when it sounds forced and last night it sounded forced to me. Use what comes naturally, is all I say.
Unfortunately for me I didn't hear the broadcast nor even look on the board as one lucky guy did.  It sure was fun watching the video. More confusing than annoying is the use of tie to describe an upcoming game...I think one end of a home and home playoff.  Wow, Ace, can't believe the coach said that! Not nice, esp. after you had saved the original.
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »

Yes, SI, the use of "boots" is definitely Euro-Snob talk. My son played rugby and uses the term. It's certainly easier to drink beer out of one's boots than cleats. (I forget why a player does that). I'm drifting away from the wonderful win, but in terms of sports terms the rugby "try" is unusual. That's a clear case of using touch down. Unlike our football (American) in which a ball simply has to be waved over the corner of the end zone to qualify as a TD. Go Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 02:38:43 pm »

Ha.  "Fordham beats Columbia, 4 - 4"?

Boy, those first two goals of ours were incredible.  First one floated in there from sooo deep.  Second one was such a great header.  Final one was great hustle. 

Great stuff. Who/when is next?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 02:49:17 pm »

Ha.  "Fordham beats Columbia, 4 - 4"?

Boy, those first two goals of ours were incredible.  First one floated in there from sooo deep.  Second one was such a great header.  Final one was great hustle. 

Great stuff. Who/when is next?

Ha. Who said anything about beating them? We did celebrate like we had that night though. The season went downhill after that.

Our first  goal was a bit of a gaffe by the keeper.

Virginia is next. Sunday at 5PM in Charlottesville.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 03:07:15 pm »

One of the attractions of soccer - for me - is that games can end in ties, (I know not in the playoffs where someone has to advance) so that Columbia 'draw' was a 'win' for us, wasn't it? That may not be very American; which is probably why the NHL now goes to such great lengths to try to get a 'winner.'
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »

This video is a tough watch with the glare off the turf. I noticed it during football but itís worse with soccer and the white ball at a faster pace.

Not just the glare but the gridiron markings as well.  Jeez, I hate watching soccer when the fields have other (non soccer) line markings.  I usually don't watch in that event.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 03:59:22 pm »

Not just the glare but the gridiron markings as well.  Jeez, I hate watching soccer when the fields have other (non soccer) line markings.  I usually don't watch in that event.

Yes, that did not help either. I won't say anything else on that topic, so that we don't turn this into a facilities thread! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »

Any chance against Virginia?
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:55 pm »

Would also love to hear an answer to DCRam's question.
In addition, Ace, you mentioned that our first goal was kind of a GK mistake. Wasn't one of T&T's gals in the lost qualifier a similar one?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »

I think there is a chance. We have to come out pumped. Having Virginia underestimate us could help.

Kenman, let me go look for a video of that game to see if it was similar. I donít remember them well enough. In our game it seemed the keeper was cheating for a cross and he left the front door open.

edit: looks different. That goal was scored back post and in my opinion Howard was a bit slow (old age), but he was fairly well positioned.

In the case of our first goal against SF, I feel the keeper was cheating to the middle, but in his defense that shot had some serious movement on it. I would love to find out if that was the intention when the ball was struck.
Report Spam   Logged

massram
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2017, 09:13:54 am »

I think there is a chance. We have to come out pumped. Having Virginia underestimate us could help.

Kenman, let me go look for a video of that game to see if it was similar. I donít remember them well enough. In our game it seemed the keeper was cheating for a cross and he left the front door open.

edit: looks different. That goal was scored back post and in my opinion Howard was a bit slow (old age), but he was fairly well positioned.

In the case of our first goal against SF, I feel the keeper was cheating to the middle, but in his defense that shot had some serious movement on it. I would love to find out if that was the intention when the ball was struck.
I listened to the post game (match) interviews.  He said that he did not mean to do it like that.  That it was an accident.  He also said right after he hit it he knew it was going in.  The other fellows on the podium were both laughing.  On to Virginia. Go Rams
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 09:30:23 am »

Thanks, Ace and massram. I did remember that the T&T goal was to the back post not the front, but struck from that far away both seemed to be blockable. That must be a nightmare for a GK. You're expecting a cross, a floater into the box and before you realize...!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

Thanks, Ace and massram. I did remember that the T&T goal was to the back post not the front, but struck from that far away both seemed to be blockable. That must be a nightmare for a GK. You're expecting a cross, a floater into the box and before you realize...!

It is a nightmare, but not so much b/c you cheated, but more b/c you just don't get a good read on the ball. If you get a good read you just take a few steps back and/or shuffle left/right and the ball is right within your reach. Get a good read and the ball is easily saved; get a bad read and you feel like you have cinder blocks on your feet.
Report Spam   Logged

KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 11:48:50 am »

Happened again in 1991. Same two teams. Columbia came in ranked 12th and we tied them 4-4. As odd as it may sound, given the score, I did have a good game that day. One of my roommates stormed the field when we went up 4-3 thinking it was golden goal. Columbia tied on the game at 4 on a rebound on a saved penalty kick. Teammate cleared it off the line, but ref said it went over. Coach told me later that if I were more athletic I would have gotten up quick enough to make the 2nd save. Sadly he was right.
Great story! Too funny about coach being right. You are a good dude.

Great program win on Thursday. I hope the run continues against Virginia!
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2017, 12:11:43 pm »

Just watched the highlights, some great goals, especially our first one

What a great atmosphere at the game

Beat Virginia!
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2017, 05:23:51 pm »

Ok now i jinxed it, keeps locking up!
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 06:34:09 pm »

0-0 vs Virginia at the half.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »

Rams up 1-0 with 8 minutes to go!  Ohlendorf header on assist from Jannik Loebe.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:09 pm »

RAMS WIN 1-0!

We beat #11 Virginia and move on to the 3rd round for the first time in program history.  Also school record 14th win.  We probably play #6 seed Duke next, who is up 1-0 on FIU.

We had 7 shots with 3 on goal.  Virginia controlled the ball the whole game, had 9 shots and 5 on goal.

Here's the 2nd round brackets:  http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1
Report Spam   Logged
mojofunk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:49 pm »

Congrats! Remarkable road win against a ranked ACC team. Carry on, fellows!
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 07:01:50 pm »

Awesome! Go Rams. Fordham gear in gym tomorra
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 07:04:41 pm »

Way to go Rams. Nice win!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:24 pm »

Terrific first game vs. St. Francis and awesome accomplishment over Virginia.

Go Rams & Beat Duke or whichever team we end up playing!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »

Amazing achievement. I intentionally did not make the drive to Charlottesville. They would have lost if I had.
Report Spam   Logged

PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 07:29:51 pm »

Holy crap!  Awesome!!!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 07:37:09 pm »

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/virginia-men-s-soccer-team-upset-by-fordham-in-ncaa/article_edda4a24-cd85-11e7-826a-f74e1987e83a.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: