fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:38:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs. Manhattan Jaspers Pre-Game/In-Game, 2pm - 11/26/17

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs. Manhattan Jaspers Pre-Game/In-Game, 2pm - 11/26/17  (Read 3509 times)
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2017, 08:01:25 pm »

Watching Bunting on Sunday reminded me of Rhoomes.  Bunting aggressively went after rebounds and he crossed under the rim on a number of his baskets in order to use it for protection.  Those are moves that Rhoomes displayed as a senior, so I am guessing one of the coaches is working with Bunting down low.

On another note, I am surprised no one has commented on the technical foul assessed against Fordham at 6:58 in the first half.  During a time out, Bunting checking in at the scorer's table.  When they came back on the floor, Fordham picked up Manhattan in a full court press.  The ball got to half court before the refs whistled Fordham for having six (6) players on the press.  It was blatant and something I have not seen at the college level.  Some assistant coach was to blame for not making sure Evans came out when Bunting went back into the game.  Luckily, Williams on Manhattan made only 1 of 2 FTs and it did not impact the outcome of the game.

I was streaming the game and the announcers said the T was because JN went out of the coaches box. They never picked up on the 6 players.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2017, 10:54:03 am »

I was streaming the game and the announcers said the T was because JN went out of the coaches box. They never picked up on the 6 players.

Ah, i was wondering what that was all about.  We had gone 4 or 5 minutes roughly without scoring.  Hicks made a 3 finally to make it 14-10 and JN called one of his patented TOs to set the D.  That and the shot clock violations were frustrating when the D was so good.  Eventually we got more into the flow on offense. 

This goes back to some people's complaints about too much passing on the perimeter until the shot clock is down.  This seemed a bit more evident with Havsa in the game. 

A few things helped.  Hicks shooting and energy. Manhattan's press actually helped.  It sped us up.  Chartouny handled the press well, as we did generally towards the end of the 1st half and most of the 2nd. Bunting with the active cuts and reverse layups.  Tavares being aggressive.  And Raut finding the openings in the high-post, free throw area and nailing them (when Pekarek tried that later he was a shade late taking the shot and got stuffed).  Oh, and of course, making some 3s, but maybe that came from taking them more in the flow and the floor opening up a bit. For about 20 minutes of game time spanning 2 halves they played as good a stretch as they have since the 1st half against George Washington last year. 

Oh, and Evans did miss a layup and got stuffed on another, but he did have some nice passes, with 6 assists, 2 on Bunting layups at the end of the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd half. 

Generally speaking, our guards were excellent handling the ball (not counting Tavares as a guard here).

Chartouny 7 assists 0 turnovers
Evans 6/2
Havsa 1/0
Hicks 3/1

Overall 23 assists on 30 made field goals.  That's a 76.66% clip, which would be higher than any team averages.  Not sure how indicative that is.  The leader is Sam Houston St.  Last year the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams were Purdue and Michigan State, and there were decent teams near the top. But Seattle was 1 and Holy Cross 4, with losing records.  Still, nice to share the ball and have your scoring come on teamwork.  Davidson consistently ranks highly

Much more telling is A/TO ratio.  The top 20 in that metric is chockablock with good teams/offenses.  At 23/15 against Manhattan, that's 1.533, which doesn't sound great but would rank 14th in the country (behind Saint Joe's).  The top 10 and their records:

Davidson is first in TO/A at 2.477 and are 3-2
St Mary's 5-2
Florida 5-1
Kansas 6-0
Notre Dame
Minnesota 7-0
Creighton 5-1
Michigan (Beilein of course; they are also 343rd in possessions per game) 6-1
Duke 8-0
Nevada 6-0   

So high a/TO good, as we all know.

Our numbers would have been better except for the aforesaid shot-clock violations.  Someone said 5, but from the box it looked like we had 15 TOs, only 11 attributed to individual players.  The extra 4 I believe are the shot clock violations, which don't get charged to individual players.  OK, part of that IS good D, but all you need to do is throw up any prayer.  Havsa made 1 waved off.  A lot of that was just not being aware (and the fans really need to help out a bit there; I heard some counting down, but not enough).

Eliminate those and you are at 25/11 A/TO, 3rd best in the country if sustained for a seasonal average.

Get rid of that technical foul also, which is really like a turnover since though they had the ball they got free throws and the ball back (and as mentioned fortunately only 1 point out of it).

So more numbers.  But as you all know it comes down to making shots.  You don't get assists unless someone knocks it down.  All the assists are nice but doesn't mean we have a bunch of Steve Nash's out there.  Still, good to see the guards creating open looks while protecting the ball.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: