fordhamfans.com
December 13, 2017, 07:42:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs Duke

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs Duke  (Read 1096 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2017, 09:11:27 pm »

Per the announcers, yes, as a varsity sport.

I was going to bring up the same topic, but was worried someone would mention the '71 men's hoops team.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:26:48 pm by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »

What a win!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2017, 09:14:00 pm »

One of the partners I work for was a keeper on one of the the Virginia teams that won the whole enchilada in the 90's.  I avoided him as much as possible this week.  Grin

Tony Meola? Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2017, 09:15:00 pm »

Tony Meola? Wink

Nope his backup.  Stopped PK's to win it in '91.
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2017, 09:15:14 pm »

I was going to bring up the same topic, but as worried someone would mention the '71 men's hoops team.

I kinda brought it up for that very reason-lol  Now, we have an undisputed best (varsity) Fordham team ever Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2017, 09:15:24 pm »

The winning save:  https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/934601579050815489
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2017, 09:18:54 pm »

Get the feeling I'll be watching this a few hundred times!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:09 pm »

I thought that the announcer said that Duke was the #14 team in the country, but the winning video is indicating Duke at #6. Does anyone know?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2017, 09:21:10 pm »

Is this the closest any  fordham team has ever advanced to a national championship, in any sport?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2017, 09:23:05 pm »

I thought that the announcer said that Duke was the #14 team in the country, but the winning video is indicating Duke at #6. Does anyone know?

They were the 6 seed in the tournament. I have modified this twice now, but that is my final answer.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2017, 09:26:02 pm »

They were the 6 seed in the tournament was my initial thought, but that does appear to be the case. Maybe different polls?

Brackets had them as 6 seed.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2017, 09:27:55 pm »

I kinda brought it up for that very reason-lol  Now, we have an undisputed best (varsity) Fordham team ever Smiley

The '17 team!!
Report Spam   Logged

J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2017, 09:29:18 pm »

The '17 team!!

Ha, great catch! Something about those numbers!!!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »

Is this the closest any  fordham team has ever advanced to a national championship, in any sport?

'85, in response to your question, at last spring's ICSA Coed National Dinghy Championship, the Fordham Sailing Team finished
7th in the 18-team Championship Round. It may be comparing apples and oranges because it's not a one-vs-one competition but a one vs. 17 event. Fordham had to advance to the quarterfinals and then the semifinals to qualify for the finals.

Interestingly, 14 of the 18 teams were varsity and four were club teams. The first six were varsity and our Rams were the first of the four
participating club teams. Moreover, the 14 club teams were from a 29-team varsity universe, whereas the four club teams were from a 187-team universe. If College Sailing presented a Club Championship National Trophy, Fordham would have won it.

Regardless, it was a wonderful accomplishment for the Soccer team tonight as it was a wonderful accomplishment for the Sailing team
last June.

GO RAMS! BEAT UNC!

Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »

A couple of months ago I noticed that our #0 Jordan Black is from West Allenhurst, NJ, my son's hometown. When I mentioned the guy my son said he lived directly behind him. We discussed the difficulties of life in the big time - Black a senior not getting much PT behind the junior GK. Well Jordan Black's gotta be on Cloud Nine tonight! Go Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:57 pm »

Duke was ranked #3 in the last RPI Poll and 16th in the United Coaches Poll.  Fordham was #26 in RPI, and received 2 votes from the coaches.

https://twitter.com/NCAASoccer/status/934598314816954368

Report Spam   Logged
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:07 pm »

A couple of months ago I noticed that our #0 Jordan Black is from West Allenhurst, NJ, my son's hometown. When I mentioned the guy my son said he lived directly behind him. We discussed the difficulties of life in the big time - Black a senior not getting much PT behind the junior GK. Well Jordan Black's gotta be on Cloud Nine tonight! Go Rams.
Awesome. This is his shining moment.
To step in and deliver when called upon is a testament to his character.

Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:05 pm »

Gotta love it.

Congrats Rams. Beat the Tarheels.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2017, 10:49:29 pm »

Duke Suffers Heartbreaking Loss in Shootout

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211687221

and this is what Fordham has posted at 10:49

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/11/25/mens-soccer-advances-to-elite-8-on-pk-shootout-win.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2017, 10:54:50 pm »

More to come.
Report Spam   Logged

kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2017, 11:40:12 pm »

great win and a remarkable effort by the comeback kids    shredding the ACC    outstanding saves by the guy who I assume is the 2nd best goalkeeper in Fordham history !!!

I actually would not be surprised if Nuhu becomes our best ever. I also will not be surprised if he plays in Europe over the MLS.

What a game to watch!! Pk's were tough to get through, what grit shown by our guys, and on top of it we beat Puke. Just awesome.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2017, 07:31:32 am »

More to come.

and there is!

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/11/25/mens-soccer-advances-to-elite-8-on-pk-shootout-win.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

A question for Ace - or anyone else as qualified - to answer. You've said that our 10th guy to take a PK was the backup goalkeeper. I thought that only players who were in the game could participate. I'm guessing that that is a European rule and that college soccer here allows the coach to choose anyone on the game roster???
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2017, 10:41:03 am »

Yes itís in the fordham release. The womenís basketball team in 78-79 went to elite 8 but that was AIAW. Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:04 am »

A question for Ace - or anyone else as qualified - to answer. You've said that our 10th guy to take a PK was the backup goalkeeper. I thought that only players who were in the game could participate. I'm guessing that that is a European rule and that college soccer here allows the coach to choose anyone on the game roster???

NCAA rules allow each team to designate any 10 players as long as the player was listed as an eligible player on the roster to start the game.
Report Spam   Logged

kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2017, 12:32:54 pm »

Thanks, Ace. I did try to look it up this morning, but couldn't find what I wanted. I did come across FIFA rules which indicate what I said about "European' soccer. Be that as it may, it's a nice story for the senior and a fantastic story for the Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »

What a performance, Rams in the Elite 8 for the first time in program and school history

Nuhu was brilliant in PK's, three saves, wow

As some may have figured out I am a huge soccer fan and like everyone else here a huge Fordham fan

I also have this little bit of a superstitious streak and I have not watched any of these games live, do I continue to sit out or do I watch the next game?

Really torn on this one, I want the team to succeed but I also really want to watch the game. I know that what I do has zero effect on the outcome but still....
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2017, 12:58:35 pm »

NCAA rules allow each team to designate any 10 players as long as the player was listed as an eligible player on the roster to start the game.

Thanks, I had not idea that was the case

I am grateful for once that the NCAA does not follow FIFA rules, the backup GK took a nice PK, especially since he had not played all year prior to that moment. Kind of funny that as a senior GK his shining moment will have been to score a goal to help win a game
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2017, 02:50:41 pm »

Congrats to the soccer Rams! Not a huge fan of the sport myself, but that's an awesome accomplishment...take down UNC!
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2017, 03:48:34 pm »

Congrats to the soccer Rams! Not a huge fan of the sport myself, but that's an awesome accomplishment...take down UNC!
+1
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: