fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:39:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Chuba Out For Year

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuba Out For Year  (Read 736 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:16:33 pm »

Saw on twitter that Chuba will be out for the year with a torn labrum in his hip.  He will have surgery December 6.   Not sure why no announcement from Fordham. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Social Buttons

greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:28:23 pm »

Tough news for him Iím sure, he was working hard in the offseason. Looking forward to seeing the real Chuba out there next season.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:24 pm »

I canít find it. Where on twitter did you see it?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »

Confirmed, Rich is correct.

Going to lead with the positive - If anyone could use another year to develop physically, itís Chuba.  The good news is you slap on the RS tag and he becomes a 18-19 addition with Portley.

The bad news is December - March vs. any A10 frontcourt.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:14:43 pm »

Going to lead with the positive - If anyone could use another year to develop physically, itís Chuba.  The good news is you slap on the RS tag and he becomes a 18-19 addition with Portley.

Or, of course, he can then graduate and leave after 3 years of play, 4 years of school.  What options do you have with respect to not giving a redshirt?  Do you have to give/obtain one if there is an injury?
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

Confirmed, Rich is correct.

The bad news is December - March vs. any A10 frontcourt.

If you asked me before, can Pekarek give us anything at all this year, I would not have really cared. Now I care very much.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 01:36:01 pm »

Pekarek is a soft perimeter player. The only guy to step into this role would be Bunting.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »

Pekarek is a soft perimeter player. The only guy to step into this role would be Bunting.

Agree with 85 here. Pekarek is a Plan B (or D) to Slanina, he doesnít have the physical tools to take any significant amount of Chubaís PT. Itís Bunting as a bruiser.

*Also, who was the CA forward that we lost out to last summer? We were actually in contention, it wasnít just an offer.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »

Are they going to clarify Zarko's status? If he was never going to be able to play, then he shouldnt be taking up a schollie. Now down to 9 ....too thin.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 01:52:48 pm »

If we had better facilities we would not find ourselves with these desperation recruits and in turn not be shorthanded so often.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 01:58:23 pm »

If we had better facilities we would not find ourselves with these desperation recruits and in turn not be shorthanded so often.

In 1971, Charlie Yelverton played all 5 positions at one time, by himself. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:14:06 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »

Sarcasm? Neither Chuba, who had several significant offers, nor Pekarek (URI) nor Zarko (Valparaiso) were "desperation" recruits.

But on a more important note, get well, Chuba. That's a rotten injury, and we'll need you back stronger than ever next year, friend.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »

Sarcasm? Neither Chuba, who had several significant offers, nor Pekarek (URI) nor Zarko (Valparaiso) were "desperation" recruits.

But on a more important note, get well, Chuba. That's a rotten injury, and we'll need you back stronger than ever next year, friend.

Completely in jest. It was in reply to what I felt were other predictable and tired replies.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:32 pm »

Are they going to clarify Zarko's status? If he was never going to be able to play, then he shouldnt be taking up a schollie. Now down to 9 ....too thin.

He is on scholarship we donít nonrenew ships if a player wants to stay.  You can ask a thousand times and the answer is the same if a kid wants to stay for 4 years he gets to stay unless he quits the team.  Even if he gets injured we honor the ship.  Period end of story. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »

Agree with 85 here. Pekarek is a Plan B (or D) to Slanina, he doesnít have the physical tools to take any significant amount of Chubaís PT. Itís Bunting as a bruiser.

*Also, who was the CA forward that we lost out to last summer? We were actually in contention, it wasnít just an offer.

Going to answer my own question, his name was escaping me. Iím thinking of Myles Johnson 6í10 - Long Beach Poly, Ball family etc. He opted for Rutgers over Fordham, Yale, Hawaii, Georgia Tech and UCSB. Maybe it wasnít even that close after all. We need a forward, badly.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »

He is on scholarship we donít nonrenew ships if a player wants to stay.  You can ask a thousand times and the answer is the same if a kid wants to stay for 4 years he gets to stay unless he quits the team.  Even if he gets injured we honor the ship.  Period end of story. 

I shall ask again since I do believe that there is an insurance that kicks in for an injured player who can no longer play so as not to have to eat a ship in these stuatiions. I think it was about 7-8 years ago that same was instituted.  Nothing to do with non-renewal.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 03:20:05 pm »

I shall ask again since I do believe that there is an insurance that kicks in for an injured player who can no longer play so as not to have to eat a ship in these stuatiions. I think it was about 7-8 years ago that same was instituted.  Nothing to do with non-renewal.

Won't do much good now.  He started the year on scholarship, so it can no longer be used (unless that rule changed). I do not think it was fully known that he would not play this season, but I could be wrong. Let us know what you find out.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 03:25:42 pm »

I dont really have inside access, but the folks I spoke to all seemed to believe that Zarko would never play with us again, prior to this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »

I dont really have inside access, but the folks I spoke to all seemed to believe that Zarko would never play with us again, prior to this season.

Was told at the last home game he intends to play this year.  We will see but in the end he was going to be on scholarship this year.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 06:02:44 pm »

In 1971, Charlie Yelverton played all 5 positions at one time, by himself. 
Truth is that fans showed up all over the greater metro area to get a look at this human highlight reel and witness his athletic brilliance up close and personal!

As for Chuba, sorry to hear what R93 is reporting.  This accounts  for his struggles in this early season.  Best of luck for a full recovery. 
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »

Truth is that fans showed up all over the greater metro area to get a look at this human highlight reel and witness his athletic brilliance up close and personal!

Perhaps a little too up-close and personal.

47 years later, it may be time for a new memory.
Report Spam   Logged

FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 07:04:41 pm »

Is manny Suarez still available?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 07:12:04 pm »

Is manny Suarez still available?

That was on the list of predictable replies.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: