fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:23:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs E.Tenn St. - Pre-Game/In-Game 11/29/17, 7pm at RHG

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs E.Tenn St. - Pre-Game/In-Game 11/29/17, 7pm at RHG  (Read 3312 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:43:02 pm »

Only appropriate to get it started with this:

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/alabama-forced-to-play-more-than-ten-minutes-with-only-1820740548

***note: you're better off clicking the link above from Deadspin, rather than the video of this dipsh*t below. I just wanted to embed the image.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:59:13 pm by PeterMartin08 » Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »

Hicks is Guy going to play 30+ minutes Afro
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:01 pm »

Only appropriate to get it started with this:

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/alabama-forced-to-play-more-than-ten-minutes-with-only-1820740548

***note: you're better off clicking the link above from Deadspin, rather than the video of this dipsh*t below. I just wanted to embed the image.

If anyone can devise multiple variations of a 2-1 zone, it's Neubauer/Crawford.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:04:19 am »

Hockey's been doing this forever...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:20 am »

2 red cards?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:06:58 am »

If anyone can devise multiple variations of a 2-1 zone, it's Neubauer/Crawford.

Early nominee as quote of the winter season.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:35 am »

Crazy stat of the season so far:

Taveres, Chartouny, Evans, Havsa and Pekarek are a combined 7 of 64 (11%) from 3.  Yet we are still 2-3 (1 possesion from 3-2) with a chance to get to .500 on Saturday. Defense Travels.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:09:32 pm »

This team likes to push it with very athletic players.  They put up 95 or so on us last season.  They lost a couple of key players.  Averaging 17 TOs/game, so that bodes well.  But, they do get to the FT line.  Hope Slanina/Bunting are good to go because we'll their bodies out there.  We went cold against their zone.  Need someone to work the baseline like 85 points out.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 12:10:49 pm »

anyone know the status of Slanina and Bunting?
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:14:44 pm »

Taveres, Chartouny, Evans, Havsa and Pekarek are a combined 7 of 64 (11%) from 3.  Yet we are still 2-3 (1 possesion from 3-2) with a chance to get to .500 on Saturday. Defense Travels.

To date, our opponents ppg and their output vs us -

Miami (OH): 64.0/55
LIU Brooklyn: 79.3/68
Florida St: 91.0/67
Tulane: 78.8/63
Manhattan: 67.7/57

ETSU averages 71 a game so far, so if we maintain this we can hold them to 60ish.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »

Sagarin has Eastern Tenn game as pick em.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »

That is a crazy stat, but defeating LIU and Manhattan is not an accomplishment, right? Saying we are one possession away from 3-2 is also not an accomplishment. Miami OH will probably win 2 games in conference all year, and they punked us at the buzzer because we had a Grade A meltdown. They are frighteningly glory-bad.

One of Chartouny/Evans will (have to) come around, but I agree - 7/64 from 3-pt is shocking from that group.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:48:56 pm »

Every win is an accomplishment some more so than others. Every loss is a failure some more so than others. If you canít enjoy the wins and constantly diminish them then donít bother following.  We go through this all the time it is though fordham fans would prefer to lose more to bitch about. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:04:05 pm »

Looking at ETSU instead of debating whether defeating LIU or this garbage Manhattan team is an "accomplishment"

ETSU was down 6 at half against Kentucky. For that read, click below.
http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400987177

Bradford, McCloud, Payne - three leading scorers are all senior guards. Only Payne has shot well from beyond the arc thus far.

McCloud had a career-high 25/9/6 in their last game.
Report Spam   Logged

Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »

Looking at ETSU instead of debating whether defeating LIU or this garbage Manhattan team is an "accomplishment." ETSU was down 6 at half against Kentucky.

Not saying ETSU isn't good, but a decent half (especially a decent first half) against a top team (which went on to win by 17) doesn't necessarily make them world-beaters. That's kind of like saying that we won't beat Harvard because they beat St. Joe's and UMass--even though they also lost to Manhattan and Holy Cross...

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

In ETSís three losses they were held under 65 points.  In their wins they scored over 70. So our defense may be able to win us this game.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 03:22:21 pm »

A serious question: Does Chris Downing play in a pinch?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:41 pm »

I think yesterday showed probably not but canít rule it out. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 03:36:26 pm »

I was thinking the same thing.

It appears as though Sanchez is the fallback option, since he actually got court time in conference last year (and 3 minutes against Florida State this year).  Downing didn't.  Petty got a minute against La Salle and Rhode Island.    

Still, at least Downing is 6'8", not 5'9".  If Bunting's back acts up and Slanina fouls out (or if they are both still out against ETSU), you'd think he might sniff some court time.  Maybe only in desperation.  They might just stick with Raut and Pekarek down low, only an inch shorter.  He looks like a shell, but Pekarek did have a 12 point, 8 board, 3 block game against La Salle 2 years ago.  You'd like to see that guy return.

Maybe coach would sub Downing in just to buy some minutes on one end or another if a bunch of guys are in foul trouble.  
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47:12 pm »

ETSU has a 7' sixth year (!) senior who had a nice game against Kentucky but hasn't done much otherwise.  If he is killing us I guess Downing would fall in the category of "throw the kitchen sink at him".
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 03:50:01 pm »

That is a crazy stat, but defeating LIU and Manhattan is not an accomplishment, right? Saying we are one possession away from 3-2 is also not an accomplishment. Miami OH will probably win 2 games in conference all year, and they punked us at the buzzer because we had a Grade A meltdown. They are frighteningly glory-bad.

One of Chartouny/Evans will (have to) come around, but I agree - 7/64 from 3-pt is shocking from that group.

Not a huge accomplishment at all. I expected 3-2 and thought we had a real chance at 4-1 before the season started. My main point was that I don't think we have seen this team's ceiling or anything close to it. I don't expect that group to keep shooting 11% from 3. I think this team is better defensively than last year and has better value for the ball. We looked much more confident scoring the ball on Sunday and if we keep improving then I think we will be in good shape.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 03:59:44 pm »

Not a huge accomplishment at all. I expected 3-2 and thought we had a real chance at 4-1 before the season started. My main point was that I don't think we have seen this team's ceiling or anything close to it. I don't expect that group to keep shooting 11% from 3. I think this team is better defensively than last year and has better value for the ball. We looked much more confident scoring the ball on Sunday and if we keep improving then I think we will be in good shape.

Miami loss inexcusable, but i did think 4-1 was quite doable.  We had a halftime lead against Tulane and then continued to shoot poorly.  And I didn't know we'd be missing Chuba.  He was injured in September apparently and tried to play through it.  He didn't play all that well against Miami (a couple of blocks and a steal but only 4 points and 2 boards), and barely played against Tulane.  Maybe wouldn't have made a difference but i ws hoping for some sophomore growth from him.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 04:01:49 pm »

Looking at ETSU instead of debating whether defeating LIU or this garbage Manhattan team is an "accomplishment"

ETSU was down 6 at half against Kentucky. For that read, click below.
http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400987177

Bradford, McCloud, Payne - three leading scorers are all senior guards. Only Payne has shot well from beyond the arc thus far.

McCloud had a career-high 25/9/6 in their last game.

I like this match-up for us. A team that likes to get-up and down and has a penchant for turning it over. That is exactly the type of team our style can frustrate.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 05:31:31 pm »

Pekarek is a lifetime 31% shooter all inclusive meaning both 2 and 3 point shots. That is horrible. Havsa had a couple of good games last year but has not shown much otherwise. I prefer Taveres when he is driving the lane. Seems to be our best penetrator/person taking it to the hoop. Chartouney improved somewhat last year but has never been a great 3 point shooter. Evans is a ?. Should definitely see improvement but to what extent not sure.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:57 pm »

Miami loss inexcusable, but i did think 4-1 was quite doable.  We had a halftime lead against Tulane and then continued to shoot poorly.  And I didn't know we'd be missing Chuba.  He was injured in September apparently and tried to play through it.  He didn't play all that well against Miami (a couple of blocks and a steal but only 4 points and 2 boards), and barely played against Tulane.  Maybe wouldn't have made a difference but i ws hoping for some sophomore growth from him.

That's right on. 4-1 was the aggressive, but attainable hope. 2-3 would be a low-end grunt. We're 2-3 with a cloud of injury questions.

Chuba aside, the two reasons that we're off that grid:
1. Evans has not been an impact player, he's actually been a minus player (5 games in, I'm still bullish) and
2. Chartouny's offense is as bad as we've seen from him.

ETSU feels like a dangerous matchup. As I mentioned, senior guards (everyone seems to have 'em) on the road...Would be very helpful to get a W in this spot. If nothing else, really nice spacing in between games over the next 5. Can we get 3 of the next 4?

This Wednesday game feels like a swing game, 3 of the next 4, or 1 of the next 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram06830
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 10:18:01 pm »

Maybe wouldn't have made a difference but i was hoping for some sophomore growth from him.

+ 1

Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 12:14:52 am »

The phrase "led by 3 senior guards" always puts in a chill in me. Guards live by their wits. As one recruit once told Al McGuire "Seniors just . . . know things!" And I like their coach, Steve Forbes.

That being said . . . this is an ETSU team still finding themselves. They're projected to be a mid-table Southern Conference squad. That's a level of competition we should be able to -- NEED to be able to -- hang and bang with.  Third game of a four-year contract. We need to take them out this time.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 08:23:28 am »

Pomeroy predicts a 65-64 loss and puts our win percentage at 47%. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 09:04:08 am »

Iron man hockey now...honestly, we saw it last year, when guys were pressed into action Bunting, Havsa, Sanchez....they got it done.....less pressure short bench....I like it...Hicks is now my fav player on this team after i dogged him in game 2. He is throwback guard, he looks like a 70's dude out there.....very quick laterally and very tough defender....and that ugly shot does one thing.....it goes in!

Rams 66  ETSU  58........

Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 09:20:06 am »

I follow ETSU (not ETS please) as it is my other alum.  The team finally made it to teh dance last year but they lost some key performers from that squad.  They are still very athletic but were are only predicted to finish mid pack in the Southern Conference, which is no basketball mecca.  The SoCo used to be primarily a 2 team race each year, UT-Chat and ETSU.  Take a look at the predictions for this year below.

I think Forbes is a decent recruiter as he is trying to find the diamonds in the rough and will work on finding transfers from larger programs and jucos to land talent.  I do not see him as a very good game day coach.  He seems to get easily frustrated and does not adapt to making adjustments.  The Bucs will likely try to run and gun as usual but do not play solid team defense.  If the Rams have a decent shooting percentage and defend well (like they should), I can see the Rams winning this one.

2017-18 Preseason Southern Conference Coaches Poll
Team (1st-place votes) Total
1. Mercer (4)              71
2. Samford (3)            70
3. Furman (1)             65
4. ETSU (2)                64
5. UNCG                    52
6. Wofford                  43
7. The Citadel            27
    Chattanooga          27
9. Western Carolina   22
10. VMI                      9