fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:28:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham vs E.Tenn St. - Pre-Game/In-Game 11/29/17, 7pm at RHG

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham vs E.Tenn St. - Pre-Game/In-Game 11/29/17, 7pm at RHG  (Read 3312 times)
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »

We can't complain about the quality of our walk-ons when we have less than desirable A-10 starters. Someone needs to step up big time. Have my eye on Tavares for this.

In the limited amount that I have seen this year he seems much more engaged and aggressive. Last year he seemed to drift.  He certainly has the ability to have an impact.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2017, 01:31:19 pm »

Tavares has stepped up this year.

The walk-ons, yeah, that's one thing.  We need Havsa and Pekarek to play much better.  I'd take 15-16 Pekarek and 16-17 Havsa even, but I hope for improvement. If we get that. Normal JC.  And Evans more along the lines of last game, and then we got something.  Painful lack of depth notwithstanding.

Tavares, Slanina and Hicks have all been quite good.  Raut has been up and down but as much as you could hope for, or expected.  JC, Evans and the "Scrubs" are key.

As for walk-ons, at least Sanchez is 2-2 from 3 in his career.  Can't you at least send Downing in to foul someone? Smiley

I'm wondering if any of the football players played any hoops in high school.  Julius Peppers used to play for UNC hoops and would just murder the boards.  Not that football has anyone like that, but maybe there's some bruiser there who could at least, um, lean on an opposing power forward for 3 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

Havsa has to step up. He did it last year albeit briefly, but he is a creative, somewhat herky jerky player. Hopefully, they let him freelance a bit.  He is 6ft 4 and brings the size we need right now.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:06 pm »

Havsa has to step up. He did it last year albeit briefly, but he is a creative, somewhat herky jerky player. Hopefully, they let him freelance a bit.  He is 6ft 4 and brings the size we need right now.

I think some on here have overrated him too quickly. It's a very generous 6'4. Doesn't seem as if his size is intimidating any opponent. Not to mention his role, and almost every one on offense's role is to shoot 3's.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »

Yes. You'd think that someone who has watched basketball as long as you have would know that.

Final word from me on this.  5 seconds is ok if you have a team with good shooters, but with this team that takes a full 30 seconds and sometimes doesn't get a shot off and sometimes can't even in-bound the ball, I have little confidence in.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »

I think some on here have overrated him too quickly. It's a very generous 6'4. Doesn't seem as if his size is intimidating any opponent. Not to mention his role, and almost every one on offense's role is to shoot 3's.

He was creative in transition during a limited role late in season. He is a bit unorthodox, but this year he looks really lost. Maybe loosen the grip a little, see what he can create. We need him.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »

He was solid last year.  He's been awful thus far this year needless to say.  His turnover % was way too high even last year, but he's easily the most creative passer we have.  His game is better when he drives and dishes to the open man.  I think he'll bounce back and he'll have to, as 12.5% of the team.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2017, 03:08:55 pm »

He was solid last year.  He's been awful thus far this year needless to say.  His turnover % was way too high even last year, but he's easily the most creative passer we have.  His game is better when he drives and dishes to the open man.  I think he'll bounce back and he'll have to, as 12.5% of the team.

We're desperate to find someone who can score. Hawkins was that guy, and was more important to our wins last year than people realize. He could drive, shoot, or penetrate and dish. He was a threat. A threat we do not have yet this year.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2017, 04:11:53 pm »

We're desperate to find someone who can score. Hawkins was that guy, and was more important to our wins last year than people realize. He could drive, shoot, or penetrate and dish. He was a threat. A threat we do not have yet this year.

I disagree. Will Taveres has been this threat and actually better than Hawk was last year early on.

The difference is that the complementary players have struggled big time. JC is so important to this team. We need to get him going.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »

Hawkins was good last year and his scoring ability was definitely important, and was key to the wins we got.  But you are selling Tavares thus far short.  he's been better than Hawk.  He has to sustain it.

Tavares Hawk

ppg 17.5 - 14.0
2 pt FG% .548 - .465
eFG% .511 - .482
O Rtg 104.0 - 100.7

That's Hawk's full season line.  He was actually better in conference, but then if comparing just OOC Tavares looks even better.

Hawk shot better from 3, but OOC he only hit 3s at 27.8%.  Through his first 6 games he shot 3-14 from 3, and was averaging 13.7 ppg, including a game against a non-Div I team, NYIT.

3s hadn't been a big part of Hawkins' games before last year.  He improved as the season went on.  Will is at 28% through 6 games, but nevertheless he's produced better than Hawkin's did last year, especially early.

Hopefully Will keeps it up.  Slanina has also been quite good, and Hicks, in less usage.  I am not too worried about replacing Hawkins' production because Will has done that.  But D's will key on him and he has to keep it up.  Hard to do game after game.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

Final word from me on this.  5 seconds is ok if you have a team with good shooters, but with this team that takes a full 30 seconds and sometimes doesn't get a shot off and sometimes can't even in-bound the ball, I have little confidence in.

But with 2 seconds more you wanted Tavares to force a 3. Makes zero sense to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: