fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:35:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Giving Tuesday Campaign

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving Tuesday Campaign  (Read 592 times)
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:59:44 pm »

If you are fed up with the fundraising campaign for the new floor and want a different option, consider giving to the team's Giving Tuesday campaign. The money goes to support team travel and International recruiting which I think are worthy causes.\

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/FordhamUniversity/men-s-basketball#donations

Unfortunately the current level of support for the campaign shows just how far the program has fell when it comes to building a fanbase.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:52:53 pm »

Lost in a slew of emails, I just saw the email from basketball.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »

Continued terrific job by Fr McShane and the BOT. Really excellent.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »

I did read that an alum and former BOT member donated $10 million towards a new STEM building and program last month. Itís not all bad.
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 11:10:51 pm »

Happy for your post VTRAM, so I could throw in a few bucks. Thanks.

BTW, earth to Fordham - it's always easier for us to give money if you (first) let us know the heck that you have made a request for it! Just saying..it's not even Marketing 101 - it's more like 001.

My relative who graduated earlier in the 2000s once told me, "I really, really love this place, but they seem to always find a way to screw things up!"
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:29 am »

If you are fed up with the fundraising campaign for the new floor and want a different option, consider giving to the team's Giving Tuesday campaign. The money goes to support team travel and International recruiting which I think are worthy causes.\

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/FordhamUniversity/men-s-basketball#donations

Unfortunately the current level of support for the campaign shows just how far the program has fell when it comes to building a fanbase.

So if you go to the link, you see that $3,000 of the $10,000 goal was raised--but you also see that the campaign is now closed...WTF? If you're going to do things this way, then just use Kickstarter or GoFundMe and leave the campaign open-ended--you'll get more money that way. All that being said, this thing practically makes me want to cry--it borders on scandalous that an allegedly major national university would have to stoop this low to support its D1 basketball program. I guarantee you that there are many D3 programs--in many different sports--that are supported by their own powers-that-be better than the Fordham basketball program. And that's not a dig at our marketing department, either--I'm sure they're just working with what they have. No, it's aimed DIRECTLY at the administration and the BOT. Losers...
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:10:11 am »

So if you go to the link, you see that $3,000 of the $10,000 goal was raised--but you also see that the campaign is now closed...WTF? If you're going to do things this way, then just use Kickstarter or GoFundMe and leave the campaign open-ended--you'll get more money that way. All that being said, this thing practically makes me want to cry--it borders on scandalous that an allegedly major national university would have to stoop this low to support its D1 basketball program. I guarantee you that there are many D3 programs--in many different sports--that are supported by their own powers-that-be better than the Fordham basketball program. And that's not a dig at our marketing department, either--I'm sure they're just working with what they have. No, it's aimed DIRECTLY at the administration and the BOT. Losers...

It makes sense that it would be closed, as it was specifically for Giving Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:20:12 am »

I did read that an alum and former BOT member donated $10 million towards a new STEM building and program last month. Itís not all bad.

Not saying itís all bad, some of it is quite good. The dichotomy between what the university does well and what it doesnít do well is fairly large.  Its all been said before, so I wonít repeat it.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:23:18 am »

Meanwhile Villanova is renovating a facility for $60M that weíd die to have in its current state...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:24:46 am »

Not saying itís all bad, some of it is quite good. The dichotomy between what the university does well and what it doesnít do well is fairly large.  Its all been said before, so I wonít repeat it.

Get rid of Frank, hire a real alumni relations person and a real fund raiser. Look at how things improved when Roach took over.

Frank is the Phill Jackson of Fordham.  Get him out, get a real person in that job, see what happens.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:37 am »

This isn't even Frank. He's the designated hand shaker and baby kisser.  The Universty hired a professional Assoc. AD for Development.   He was at St. John's. I think he's probably ok.  Unfortunately his hands are tied. The alumni/donors have no faith in the administration and there are no plans to address the major issue holding the program back.

Just about every school/non-profit does Giving Tuesday.  It's not designed to be a major fundraiser.  They use it to engage young alums to participate at a low amount to get them in the door. That said, $3k on a $10k goal doesn't look great.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 09:59:41 am »

This isn't even Frank. He's the designated hand shaker and baby kisser.  The Universty hired a professional Assoc. AD for Development.   He was at St. John's. I think he's probably ok.  Unfortunately his hands are tied. The alumni/donors have no faith in the administration and there are no plans to address the major issue holding the program back.

Just about every school/non-profit does Giving Tuesday.  It's not designed to be a major fundraiser.  They use it to engage young alums to participate at a low amount to get them in the door. That said, $3k on a $10k goal doesn't look great.

He's (Ed Kull) a good hire, and was at one point being considered AD for SJU. But as you said, I'm sure his hands are tied at this graveyard.

And completely agree about Giving Tuesday. It's not a major fundraiser. However, 3k is laughable, no matter who you are.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

It makes sense that it would be closed, as it was specifically for Giving Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Wink

Thank you for making my point...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 01:51:10 pm »

If the 1,500 posters with 200 or more posts chucked in 50 bucks each we would have gotten there. It is a personal choice on whether or not to donate but it seems strange to denigrate a campaign for not doing well when you don't give.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 03:30:19 pm »

If the 1,500 posters with 200 or more posts chucked in 50 bucks each we would have gotten there. It is a personal choice on whether or not to donate but it seems strange to denigrate a campaign for not doing well when you don't give.

It reminds me of a quote by a former Fordham fundraiser for major gifts.  I asked him how the work was.  He cleared his throat and said with a wink, "The Fordham people don't come from a history of giving"

LOL ... no sh$t.  We scraped our tuition together somehow!   
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »

Thank you for making my point...  Grin

I understand what you were saying in your original post, but the point was for this to be only for Giving Tuesday. The links were for campaigns that were specifically for that day, so they were not supposed to be open ended like a kickstarter or go fund me. It would be hard to judge how Giving Tuesday works, if it is left open past the specific Tuesday.

They solicit funds throughout the year in different ways, as I have received phone calls and emails for various campaigns. The ability to give online is also always there.
Report Spam   Logged

kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 03:56:33 pm »

That's my go to donation on "Giving Tuesday" for my alma maters. In addition to annual gifts. (and you can also count season tix to FU basketball as a donation  Smiley) But you are right, if each person just gave 50, that would be huge.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 04:15:49 pm »

KidNY is right. Have met with Kull and he's a solid guy. Sounds like some house cleaning is going on.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 04:28:59 pm »

KidNY is right. Have met with Kull and he's a solid guy. Sounds like some house cleaning is going on.

Co-signing my post? Cue the conspiracies of us being the same person...

Jokes aside, people on here who actually care about the direction of development and fundraising should take it upon themselves to meet him.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »

I'm not denigrating the fact that the basketball program--like any program--needs money. Of course it does. But that money--whether it's for international recruiting or team travel costs or anything else--is supposed to be budgeted for by the university and the athletic department ahead of time (it's called "planning"), not raised on some strange ad hoc basis. I mean, really--why don't they just go stand on the corner of Fordham Road and Webster Ave. and shake a cup? Or put a jar on the counter at White Castle? It's ludicrous. Are you telling me there aren't budget lines created and funded every year for international recruiting and team travel? So what's the problem? If somebody in the administration happened to blow through those budgets for whatever reason, they need to be held accountable and that part of the budget needs to be revisited. But asking the public (even the alumni public) for a little extra cash is just bizarre...
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:34 pm »

I'm not denigrating the fact that the basketball program--like any program--needs money. Of course it does. But that money--whether it's for international recruiting or team travel costs or anything else--is supposed to be budgeted for by the university and the athletic department ahead of time (it's called "planning"), not raised on some strange ad hoc basis. I mean, really--why don't they just go stand on the corner of Fordham Road and Webster Ave. and shake a cup? Or put a jar on the counter at White Castle? It's ludicrous. Are you telling me there aren't budget lines created and funded every year for international recruiting and team travel? So what's the problem? If somebody in the administration happened to blow through those budgets for whatever reason, they need to be held accountable and that part of the budget needs to be revisited. But asking the public (even the alumni public) for a little extra cash is just bizarre...

We will just have to agree to disagree. I am pretty sure that almost every school does something on Giving Tuesday. I am also pretty sure that Alumni donations fund stuff all the time for winning programs. This includes travel and charters and recruiting costs.

We can agree that this campaign was not meant as a major push and won't move the needle. I think it is more telling that virtually no one gave. I would love to see a chart of alumni donations by A-10 basketball teams.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 06:03:15 pm »

I think stuff like this is supposed to supplement the budget so they don't go over it.  Everything for this season (and probably next season) has already been accounted for.

I'm at a tipping point with FU football and basketball as I told ace in a PM recently.  I don't see the bang for the buck anymore with football, I just don't.  We've maxed out, and FCS football is nice to have on the weekends in the fall, but the FCS playoffs don't generate much heat and I understand the administration's unwillingness to go further with the program.  Lots of reasons for the decline in attendance with FCS football and some FBS programs as well, everyone except the big boys seems to be feeling it.  Lehigh-Lafayette at Yankee Stadium was cool for their 150th, but that game didn't sell out this year at Lehigh.   Ivy League attendance generally is a bit better but still bad.

Neubauer has the hardest job in Division I basketball.  Put that guy in the Big East and he'd be winning 20 games a year. The NCAA tournament is hugely popular and FU is in a league that is not "Power 5" but it is a multi-bid league year in and year out.  Donations would triple at a minimum if we had a good facility and were in contention for making the NCAA tournament each year.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 08:44:15 pm »

Check out baseball. 52 donors and $11k.
https://www.givecampus.com/schools/FordhamUniversity/baseball#updates
Report Spam   Logged

Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 09:15:23 pm »

Neubauer has the hardest job in Division I basketball. Put that guy in the Big East and he'd be winning 20 games a year.

Yep...
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:11 pm »

Neubauer has the hardest job in Division I basketball.  Put that guy in the Big East and he'd be winning 20 games a year. The NCAA tournament is hugely popular and FU is in a league that is not "Power 5" but it is a multi-bid league year in and year out.  Donations would triple at a minimum if we had a good facility and were in contention for making the NCAA tournament each year.

You've got to be kidding. Put him in the big east? If he's so great whys he here? Coaching is a multi faceted job. While he is a good in game coach, recruiting has been absolutely abysmal.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 09:50:05 am »

It would probably be a bit easier to recruit at some Big East school with a more recent resume of success.  I also don't know how abysmal recruiting has been.  It's all relative.  Taveras, Raut, Slanina and Hicks all seem like good players.  Hawkins last year.  Portley for next year (reserving on Gazi). He's had premature departures from a boatload of the Pecora players.  His first year you can discount since he was a late hire.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:04 am »

$11,000 from just 52 donors is pretty impressive. Especially for a non-marquee sport.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00:09 am »

For sake of comparison, here are the results from all sports:

Baseball   $11000 (220%) 52 donors
Men's Soccer  $1725 (34%) 14 donors
Volleyball   $3515 (70%) 12 donors
Swimming and Diving $5727 (114%) 44 donors
Men's Rowing   $1309 (16%) 7 donors
Squash   $3700 (123%) 15 donors
Cheerleading   $300 (10%) 5 donors
Women's Basketball  $7720 (154%) 26 donors