fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:34:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Shorten the rotation?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorten the rotation?  (Read 234 times)
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »

Was gonna put this in the ETSU thread but decided to start a topic for a change.

I was thinking about this when I watched the Syracuse-Maryland game.  Boeheim notoriously rides his best players major minutes.  So does Coach K.  Bob Huggins goes the opposite route but i don't think it is all based on the talent level.  Krzyzewski keeps McDonald's AAs on the deep bench and Huggins plays 2nd team all county guys and the 10th guy often plays double digit minutes.

Against Maryland, Syracuse played Osha Brisset and Frank Howard 40 minutes.  Tyus Battle, who was injured from prior game and obviously hobbled, played 37 minutes.  4 plus played 30 or more.  He played 8 guys, Thorpe only 4, so basically 7.  Two years ago 5 guys averaged 30+.

Fordham is already shorthanded.  But if Slanina and Bunting both healthy, do we try to go 5 guys 30+ with JC and Will Tavaers 35 or more?  Slanina played 34 minutes versus Tulane.  Due to fouls and injury risks maybe he stays around 25 (which he is averaging).

Right now we have 9 guys in double digits, but that includes Chuba.  Bunting is just a shade under at 9 and with Chuba out if healthy, and given his Manhattan game, he would get double digits.

Right now it is:

Chartouny 34.8
Tavares 34.4   
Raut 30.6
Evans 26
Slanina 25
Hicks 20.4
Havsa 11.8
Ohams 10.7 (but out)
Bunting 9
Pekarek 7.5
Sanchez 3 (in 1 game).

I could see Hicks and Evans switching up.  Maybe getting Hicks to 30.

Not to bury anyone forever.  Neubauer last year would not play guys and then play them 30 plus when he had to.  Despite the intense D, and a history of playing a lot of guys when he could at Eastern Kentucky, I could see him going essentially with 7, assuming health for all 9 major contributors.  Havsa/Pekarek together could average 5, as Offense/Defense subs or in case of major foul trouble across the lineup. Obviously having to step up if there are injuries.

Maybe you only need to tighten up later in the season.  And frankly I like keeping guys involved and fresh if you can.  But given the drop-off after our first 7 (and really 6 so far until Evans gets it) and desire to win the game in front of you, just ride the best players.  These guys are young.  Presumably the staff knows if, say, Bunting really couldn't take that load regularly.     

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:57 pm »

Drunkle, the problem is Fordham never gives out any  injury info., pre-game,  so we literally have to wait until tipoff to even see who is suited up.  JN's comments that everyone is day to day are a wee bit insulting in my opinion. .....but perhaps I'm taking them out of context?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:13:39 pm »

Drunkle, the problem is Fordham never gives out any  injury info., pre-game,  so we literally have to wait until tipoff to even see who is suited up.  JN's comments that everyone is day to day are a wee bit insulting in my opinion. .....but perhaps I'm taking them out of context?

How is that a problem? We are not the ones making lineup decisions.

As to Drunkle's question, our style is much more West Virginia than Duke. For that reason we will run 10 guys if we have 10 healthy. History shows that certain guys will still log around 30 and as the season progresses the bench might shorten some.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:07 pm »

Understood, for any given game.  I'm talking about if you assume all 9 of the major contributors (not counting Sanchez) are available.  This essentially makes Pekarek and Havsa garbage time and gives Hicks 30 minutes, and ups Bunting if he can take it.

As far as the injury info, I suppose he wants to give as little info to the other team to prepare.  Most programs seem to give out more info, though, which may be because a lot of teams I follow have more major reportage.  If you have a lot of reporters covering the team and a weekly radio show plus countless amateur sleuths stuff gets out anyway and you might as well get ahead of it.  

Rich posted about Chuba from a twitter post, which itself was a re-post from some a Chuba posting or some such on some other social media site it appeared, about an injury which first occurred in September?  Maybe I missed it here but I had no idea this was a lingering issue from that long ago.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:56 pm »

I think you sort of answered your own question, until/unless Evans plays at a higher level I am not sure you can squeeze Havsa out.  I would also be shocked if Raut is still averaging 30 mpg at the end of the season, because of the freshman learning curve when the competition gets consistently better in January.  I agree with the premise that we will settle in to 7 playing significant minutes most of the time though if Havsa turns it around it could be 8.  It is probably time to completely encase Bunting in kinesiology tape from head to toe.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »

Dr. Zamboni is being kept busy.

Zarko, Ohams, Bunting, Slanina, Pekarek, Hicks last year, that's an awful lot of serious injuries in the past 2 years...bad luck....it just happens sometimes...

However, it would be nice if had a little pre-game info.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »

How is that a problem? We are not the ones making lineup decisions.

As to Drunkle's question, our style is much more West Virginia than Duke. For that reason we will run 10 guys if we have 10 healthy. History shows that certain guys will still log around 30 and as the season progresses the bench might shorten some.

On D like West Virginia, but in pace closer to Syracuse.  West Virginia is 51st in pace (77.6 possessions), Duke 66th (76.8).  Fordham is 273rd (70.4).  Syracuse 287th (70), Michigan is glacial at 343rd (66).  And Michigan is 55th in opponent turnover per possession TO, so while not West Virginia or Fordham elite, not like they slack on D.  And JN coached under Beilein of course.

A lot of the D comes from Coach Crawford, of course, and that does seem to require more bodies.

And i don't want to prematurely bury anyone.  More like you gotta earn minutes, and be ready because injuries happen.  Our top 6 have played so much better, the only ones with Player Efficiency Ratings over 10 (and with Evans at 3.4 only 7 have positive ratings), or with win shares per 40 not in negative territory (Evans is a 7th, but barely, at .1 ws/40).  Those metrics are rough short-hands for good play, but it's pretty obvious right now only 6 guys have stepped up with Evans a 7th barely at sea level.

It's early yet, and in off-season I was completely on opposite page.  i thought even with the transfers we'd have some depth, especially if Raut turned into anything.

Probably too soon.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:39:32 pm »

Dr. Zamboni is being kept busy.

Zarko, Ohams, Bunting, Slanina, Pekarek, Hicks last year, that's an awful lot of serious injuries in the past 2 years...bad luck....it just happens sometimes...

However, it would be nice if had a little pre-game info.

Maybe we need to get Dr. Vinnie Boombotz.  Or Dr. Nick Riviera.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:39:28 am »

With Bunting out i guess I have a short rotation of necessity.  Not the way I'd have wanted to see it happen.
Report Spam   Logged
bleedmaroon
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:54 am »

every damn year we have these grand expectations of a deep team and a great rotation...and every year we end up talking about the same crap.
short bench, not enough A10 talent, players getting tired, etc. etc. etc.
ugh.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: