fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:34:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

UMaine @ Fordham Pregame/In-Game 12/2/17 2PM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UMaine @ Fordham Pregame/In-Game 12/2/17 2PM  (Read 2368 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2017, 02:56:17 pm »

Anyone that thinks that dropping FB would make a difference is just plain stupid. Also, shut up.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2017, 03:02:35 pm »

My only thought here is I donít think PL in all sports is an option given the expenditures to maintain football at FCS level.  Iíd go D3 all sports or A-10 with less sports and a commitment to a new hoop facility

Option #2 seems to make the most sense from a financial point of view. Gonzaga, Xavier, Seton Hall, SJU, St. Mary's, Creighton are some Catholic schools that generally have a successful basketball program. How are their football programs doing?     
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »

Option #2 seems to make the most sense from a financial point of view. Gonzaga, Xavier, Seton Hall, SJU, St. Mary's, Creighton are some Catholic schools that generally have a successful basketball program. How are their football programs doing?     
They also didnít have Grank making any decisions for them.
Report Spam   Logged

ďWe didnít get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. Ö I can see it coming.Ē

-Tom Pecora
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »

The reality of the situation is: Fordham is not BC, Notre Dame or even Georgetown. Fordham isn't Xavier, Creighton or Gonzaga, Marquette, etc., and never will be as long as they sink their money into Football.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »

I'm as guilty as anyone on hijacking this thread but maybe we should me the discussion of the future of our athletics program to another thread and not discuss in a thread about the Maine game?
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2017, 04:56:55 pm »

The reality of the situation is: Fordham is not BC, Notre Dame or even Georgetown. Fordham isn't Xavier, Creighton or Gonzaga, Marquette, etc., and never will be as long as they sink their money into Football.

Agree. And the Fordham administration seems to be fine with the current status quo.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »

this is just my opinion for food for thought and not intended to piss anyone off, but I would pursue one of two options and I'd be ok with either one:

1. Drop the entire athletic program to Division III; or
2. Drop football and some other sports and go all in on basketball

I don't want to do anything until we get a new regime without McShane, Gray and McLaughlin in the picture.  If the new regime is similar to the current one then I will consider options.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »

I don't want to do anything until we get a new regime without McShane

that's a good thought...makes sense....
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »

I don't want to do anything until we get a new regime without McShane, Gray and McLaughlin in the picture.  If the new regime is similar to the current one then I will consider options.

How much time do you think you have left on this earth?   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »

I think Battering Ram nailed the issue above -- it's not a football v basketball thing, it's aligning overall support and infrastructure with competition level.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:16 pm »

How much time do you think you have left on this earth?   Grin

Hahaha!   Grin Grin Grin
Yeah I thought I would outlast them but now I'm not so sure.  Having graduated in the mid-70's I have to have a reality check concerning my mortality and success of Fordham MEN's basketball.  I emphasized men because the women under Coach Gaitley have been terrific.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:07 pm »

Different interests and even if they are interested in sports, there are a lot more options these days.

Different Ace.....I'll  say!  I was in the campus Starbucks before the game.  There were more boys in line for soy milk than were in the RHG for the basketball game!

Stick a fork in it..... it's over. 
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:11 pm »

Speaking of that basketball game...sure some of the students queued up at Starbuck's would have been a welcome presence in the RHG, but the absence of the Pep band and the Ram mascot made for an even more dreary atmosphere.

I found myself sitting there saying just where are we as a program?  We have been in the A-10 since 1995 and here we are struggling in a nail biter against Maine, yeah THAT 1-6 Maine!  At home! They outplayed us for long stretches and should have won it.  You win some, you lose some, you steal some. The latter applies here. No lobster dinner for us, perhaps half a lobster roll.  Must play better (a lot better) vs Harvard.  Let's see.

BTW hope some of you attended the Lessons and Carols in the RH Church this weekend.  The combined University Choirs and the Bronx Arts Ensemble-just magnificent!  Fordham at its very best.
Report Spam   Logged
lj
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »

I am one of the guilty, just as guilty as the current student body.  I went to school during the Nick era, and it was fun.  We were not going to win the NCAA's, but we were pretty good and were in a league where if we won the league, we went to the dance - who cares if you are a 16 seed!

I stopped going to the games 4 years ago when I felt that I had put more effort into getting to the game, arranging it with my wife and child care etc, then the effort the team and the university had put forth to try and win the game or make attending the game enjoyable.  I like Jeff as a coach and I only hope the best for him, but I am not coming back or donating anytime soon.  My interest in the program continues to decline and I would assume that the same can be said for many on this board.  How long can you put up with losing?  There are a lot more enjoyable things out there to watch.  I think that is the bottom line. This isn't fun anymore, it sucks, so i no longer contribute my time or my money.
Report Spam   Logged

The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding.  - John Updike
CBA06
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2017, 10:32:22 pm »

Speaking of that basketball game...sure some of the students queued up at Starbuck's would have been a welcome presence in the RHG, but the absence of the Pep band and the Ram mascot made for an even more dreary atmosphere.

I found myself sitting there saying just where are we as a program?  We have been in the A-10 since 1995 and here we are struggling in a nail biter against Maine, yeah THAT 1-6 Maine!  At home! They outplayed us for long stretches and should have won it.  You win some, you lose some, you steal some. The latter applies here. No lobster dinner for us, perhaps half a lobster roll.  Must play better (a lot better) vs Harvard.  Let's see.

BTW hope some of you attended the Lessons and Carols in the RH Church this weekend.  The combined University Choirs and the Bronx Arts Ensemble-just magnificent!  Fordham at its very best.

I agree that no pep band really hurt the atmosphere at the game.  But even with the Pep band and Ram mascot, it is still a dreary atmosphere at games.  Basically only the band plays during timeouts.  Need to mix in some music too.  But then again, our fan base isn't one to get "hyped" during games.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:29 pm »

I am one of the guilty, just as guilty as the current student body.  I went to school during the Nick era, and it was fun.  We were not going to win the NCAA's, but we were pretty good and were in a league where if we won the league, we went to the dance - who cares if you are a 16 seed!

I stopped going to the games 4 years ago when I felt that I had put more effort into getting to the game, arranging it with my wife and child care etc, then the effort the team and the university had put forth to try and win the game or make attending the game enjoyable.  I like Jeff as a coach and I only hope the best for him, but I am not coming back or donating anytime soon.  My interest in the program continues to decline and I would assume that the same can be said for many on this board.  How long can you put up with losing?  There are a lot more enjoyable things out there to watch.  I think that is the bottom line. This isn't fun anymore, it sucks, so i no longer contribute my time or my money.

So you’re saying it was all good until you got married.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
lj
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2017, 07:21:55 am »

So youíre saying it was all good until you got married.

Lol!  Here is what I am saying.  Let's imagine that years ago, you began eating at a local restaurant, you went there so frequently that you got to know the owner and you really enjoyed yourself there.  However, as the years went by, the quality of the food declined dramatically to the point where it is now terrible.  In addition, the staff has become rude, making the entire experience unpleasant.

So am I an idiot if I keep going there?  Because I used to like that restaurant, am
I required to be loyal to it no matter how bad the product?  Or is it completely understandable if I stop going there and instead dine somewhere better?

We can't point fingers at current students for not attending games if you have lost once loyal fans like me.  It's not a bad year or two.  It's 25+ years of bad basketball.  Only masochists continue to care.
Report Spam   Logged

The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding.  - John Updike
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2017, 08:09:17 am »

Lol!  Here is what I am saying.  Let's imagine that years ago, you began eating at a local restaurant, you went there so frequently that you got to know the owner and you really enjoyed yourself there.  However, as the years went by, the quality of the food declined dramatically to the point where it is now terrible.  In addition, the staff has become rude, making the entire experience unpleasant.

So am I an idiot if I keep going there?  Because I used to like that restaurant, am
I required to be loyal to it no matter how bad the product?  Or is it completely understandable if I stop going there and instead dine somewhere better?

We can't point fingers at current students for not attending games if you have lost once loyal fans like me.  It's not a bad year or two.  It's 25+ years of bad basketball.  Only masochists continue to care.

It is very understandable if you stop going to that restaurant if you donít like it.  I actually encourage it. What is stupid is to hang around a message board dedicated to that restaurant and posting about it.  That seems to defeat the purpose of not going to the restaurant.

As for being masochists if you take this as it is college basketball you get to see good teams play up close at RHG and Neubauer has beaten these good teams then it makes sense to go to games. If you donít want to go, donít move on that is fine but find another place to be on the internet as well. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:57:54 am by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2017, 10:50:17 am »

The challenge for any FU basketball fans is seeing the seemingly impossible happen: A winning team in spite of a dysfunctional old guard sports administration at FU, who have been hanging on to their jobs, in many mean spirited ways without making any waves; therefore no chance for improvement.  They are on the way out and the losing culture will change, maybe not today but within 5-10 years, as new people are starting to come in, and the old make their retirements, which occurred years ago, official.   Meanwhile, we have a good coach, apparently selected by one of the new people, who is trying to put together a winning team. 
For some of us, that's worth watching. 
Report Spam   Logged
harry1221
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2017, 11:27:24 am »

I was at the game. Pretty sad. Practically had my own section. I kept thinking "How do you show a recruit this scene and expect them to come to Fordham?"

I'm at a loss for words about this program. They were lucky to win this game.

And on top it, I had the pleasure to pay $15 to park???

Anyone remember what happened when they first tried charging to park --- 25 cents?
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:27 am »

Anyone remember what happened when they first tried charging to park --- 25 cents?

Students boycotted the parking lot and the campus center. The cafeteria employees feared for their jobs. Finally the Administration capitulated and dropped the charge to park.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: