fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:35:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why cant our players shoot?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why cant our players shoot?  (Read 967 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 11:56:21 pm »

and weren't they valid observations ?   

I'm citing the cycle, not at all critiquing your point. I can speak firsthand to the first two names, and second hand on Van Macon. Do not know what Cruz meant / not at all in the know.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2017, 12:21:32 am »

Even more funny is that some here at some point questioned whether Willie Cruz could be somewhat to blame for the injuries that occurred last year or the previous year, I forget. Might have been the previous year b/c I think it involved Canty.

Neither here nor there, but I saw Ryan in the student section stands last game with ETSU.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2017, 12:25:54 am »

Neither here nor there, but I saw Ryan in the student section stands last game with ETSU.

How was his back and does he have any eligibility left?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2017, 08:44:13 am »

Leaving the game in one piece, probably not enough $ to make it worth it to continue overseas. He just landed a sales gig, and still glances at the board.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2017, 11:15:35 am »

I don't know, but I think we're overcomplicating things here. 85 had it right when he said we get the crumbs. That's really all you need to know. Now, a lot of the 351 D1 schools out there only get the crumbs (and by "crumbs" I'm not trying to be disrespectful to our players or to any of the players on those lower-level D1 schools--quite the opposite, in fact), but the problem is, Fordham is trying to play at a higher level than most of those other schools...but with the same crumbs! The results of that combination--higher-level competition, lower-level players--should be easy to predict and not surprising, but apparently they still are to some people. The coaching, IMHO, is obviously important, but whether it's TP1, TP2, NM, DW or JN (and I'm happy to have JN and think we're lucky to have him), the talent disparity will almost always win out in the end. It's a tired cliche, but it's just another case of bringing a knife to a gunfight. And with the current set of institutional circumstances, that's not going to change, so the program will continue to do exactly what it's been doing for the last two decades: wither.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 11:42:36 am »

46-137 33.6% from 3. I know what you're saying, but that sounds majestic right now.
True.  In all fairness, Buck's father passed away junior year, which was tragic and may have been a distraction from hoops.  That said, as good a career as he had, I don't think I'd call him a pure shooter - I don't even think he'd tell you he was a pure shooter.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 12:09:41 pm »

I don't know, but I think we're overcomplicating things here. 85 had it right when he said we get the crumbs. That's really all you need to know. Now, a lot of the 351 D1 schools out there only get the crumbs (and by "crumbs" I'm not trying to be disrespectful to our players or to any of the players on those lower-level D1 schools--quite the opposite, in fact), but the problem is, Fordham is trying to play at a higher level than most of those other schools...but with the same crumbs! The results of that combination--higher-level competition, lower-level players--should be easy to predict and not surprising, but apparently they still are to some people. The coaching, IMHO, is obviously important, but whether it's TP1, TP2, NM, DW or JN (and I'm happy to have JN and think we're lucky to have him), the talent disparity will almost always win out in the end. It's a tired cliche, but it's just another case of bringing a knife to a gunfight. And with the current set of institutional circumstances, that's not going to change, so the program will continue to do exactly what it's been doing for the last two decades: wither.

Agreed. Its not a slight at Fordham at all. 351 is too many teams.  Its a bewitching gumbo for us.  Add in all these 5th year transfers and it makes it even worse.  Its only 6 games in and I like Raut, so no slight on him, but he shoots 6-6 one night and 0-6 from 3 against a step  up in competition.  We seem stuck in the middle. Our guys could probably light it up for a higher percentage in the MAAC or NEC but at this level, a half step faster, a little more strength for the guy guarding you, maybe a little leg weary from defending at a higher level, and there you have it. If Evans can keep getting to the free throw line, could be a huge help.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:11 pm »

Agreed. Its not a slight at Fordham at all. 351 is too many teams.  Its a bewitching gumbo for us.  Add in all these 5th year transfers and it makes it even worse.  Its only 6 games in and I like Raut, so no slight on him, but he shoots 6-6 one night and 0-6 from 3 against a step  up in competition.  We seem stuck in the middle. Our guys could probably light it up for a higher percentage in the MAAC or NEC but at this level, a half step faster, a little more strength for the guy guarding you, maybe a little leg weary from defending at a higher level, and there you have it. If Evans can keep getting to the free throw line, could be a huge help.
Step up in competition, game speeds up. Still think Raut starts hitting his 3s when he adjusts to it. Just my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:03 pm »

Yeah its too small of a sample for him, as stated.  I still hold out hope for Havsa.....
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 01:15:45 pm »

Yeah its too small of a sample for him, as stated.  I still hold out hope for Havsa.....

Havsa had that great GW game but has never been known as a long distance shooter as a prospect.  Decent form it seems.      Maybe.  Hopefully he breaks out of his funk today.  I'll take some nice assists. 
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:02 pm »

Havsa had that great GW game but has never been known as a long distance shooter as a prospect.  Decent form it seems.      Maybe.  Hopefully he breaks out of his funk today.  I'll take some nice assists. 

Would buy on Havsa. Heís better than this.

Side note, I really think highly of your analyses, but I would be careful of going too deep into certain numbers / sample size / situation-specific.

Along with my Evans 21 / Fordham by 17 call, letís give Havsa 6 today as he begins his ascension...
Report Spam   Logged

El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2017, 03:20:37 pm »

These announcers are awful.  No band, no students and few alumni.  I hope thosefans that did go to  the game get to Arthur Ave for some fun. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2017, 03:39:39 pm »

Havsa defense is atrocious.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2017, 03:42:31 pm »

Havsa more Turkey
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2017, 04:03:08 pm »

Would buy on Havsa. Heís better than this.

Side note, I really think highly of your analyses, but I would be careful of going too deep into certain numbers / sample size / situation-specific.

Along with my Evans 21 / Fordham by 17 call, letís give Havsa 6 today as he begins his ascension...

I do tend to overdo small sample sizes.  Hard to massage the numbers today but at least we showed some moxie late. Well, OT now.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »

Evans is 0 for 17........the year and the number of attempts. ....absolutely preposterous.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 10:56:18 pm »

Currently 325 in total field goal pct. and 351 in 3 point pct. out of 351 teams.  Need some serious practice time.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Bam 76
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 11:25:54 pm »

Currently 325 in total field goal pct. and 351 in 3 point pct. out of 351 teams.  Need some serious practice time.

It's a miracle we won as many games as we have, and should have won two more games which got away.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Today at 11:26:44 am »

It's a miracle we won as many games as we have, and should have won two more games which got away.

And we easily could have lost the Maine game.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Today at 12:09:12 pm »

Me, I think it's a holdover from when Herb Tanner played here. The laws of physics never seemed to work when he had the ball, and I suspect he left some aura or something even after graduating.

If that's not it, well the Jesuits have exorcists, no?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Today at 12:27:21 pm »

Me, I think it's a holdover from when Herb Tanner played here. The laws of physics never seemed to work when he had the ball, and I suspect he lefgraduating.t some aura or something even after

If that's not it, well the Jesuits have exorcists, no?

Yes... the Jesuits do have qualified exorcists.  Contact Father Reggie Miller, or Bishop Larry Bird.

Perhaps the session will be sufficiently violent that the RHG implodes ..... picture "The Poltegiest" .... "Look into the light!"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: