fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:22:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM  (Read 4207 times)
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:43 am »

The Crimson are 2-0 versus the A10 and 1-6 otherwise. They have been wildly inconsistent, from game to game as well as within a game.  The general exception has been soph guard Bryce Aiken, who is quick, strong, and creative.  6’9” soph Chris Lewis is a developing star.  However, they have struggled to find a reliable 3rd option. 6’7” soph Seth Towns went for 25 against Kentucky, canning 6 3s, but has been invisible in some of their losses. A player to keep an eye on is 6’3” frosh Rio Haskett, who hasn’t broken out yet but came in heralded with offers from Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, and VCU. Harvard has no seniors in their rotation.

Despite a strong performance from downtown against Kentucky, Harvard is still under 30% behind the arc for the year, and they average about 23 attempts.  Will be interesting to see if they pare down the 3s against us and switch from their usual drive and dish to drive and draw contact. Defensively, expect a lot of zone collapsing on Slanina, and the occasional trap. Harvard has the talent to pound us by double digits, but they haven’t put it all together yet. We are their 5th road game in a row, and they lack a strong secondary ballhandler to Aiken, both which work in our favor. Harvard -3 seems a fair line, I expect they cover but if we have unusual success from 3 this one could be quite entertaining.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:28:06 am »

Good preview.

They are young team.  Had good stretches and then horrible stretches yesterday...but then again, who doesnt have horrible stretches versus Kentucky.

Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:56:27 am »

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3226323
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:57:48 pm »

McShane gonna be courtside for this one.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »

Yes, for twenty minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:07:18 pm »

Yes, for twenty minutes.

Exactly. Court side or in the balcony on the McGinley side on his email?   
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »

Harvard going from Rupp Arena to RHG     how will they handle the culture shock

Report Spam   Logged
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:16:33 pm »

Believe it or not, this is actually a very winnable game. While they gave Kentucky a game, they also lost to Manhattan. I had this down as a loss in my preseason prediction, but if we can stay out of the 20s in 3pt% and force turnovers like they're vulnerable to, while a nice win, would not be a gigantic upset.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:57:58 pm »

Greenwood provided a great preview, but I think the projected line is a bit short. It'll be more than -3, IMO.
I thought we would be -4.5 on Manhattan, we were 4.5. I think Harvard will be in that ballpark, probably -5. (I still can't believe we just went down to the wire with Maine, at RHG, in overtime.)

A victory would mean Evans and/or Raut get it done on Wednesday night. (in addition to JC/Slanina).
I wouldn't count on it.

Harvard 66
Fordham 58
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:03 pm »

Exactly. Court side or in the balcony on the McGinley side on his email?   

there is a university president I follow who sits with the students when he attends sporting events.  What a concept!
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 12:14:28 am »

there is a university president I follow who sits with the students when he attends sporting events.  What a concept!

Considering what we charge students, could we vouch for Fr. McShane's safety?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 07:04:07 am »

Greenwood provided a great preview, but I think the projected line is a bit short. It'll be more than -3, IMO.
I thought we would be -4.5 on Manhattan, we were 4.5. I think Harvard will be in that ballpark, probably -5. (I still can't believe we just went down to the wire with Maine, at RHG, in overtime.)

A victory would mean Evans and/or Raut get it done on Wednesday night. (in addition to JC/Slanina).
I wouldn't count on it.

Harvard 66
Fordham 58

Agreed. This will be a tough one.

Haaaavaad 59    Rams 53
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:30 am »

Nope it is the same day as the President's Christmas reception in Hartford so he will be at the Goodwin hotel. I am deciding between the two and probably will punish myself by sitting in front of the computer.  Huh?

I am sure Mcshane is not happy with having to miss this game out of all the games.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:07 am »

All I know is if we are going to win we need both Tre Evans and Perris Hicks to play well.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:58 am »

Yes he will be the guy in the Harvard cap.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:48:01 am »

Yes he will be the guy in the Harvard cap.

Golf clap.

Pomeroy has Harvard winning 67-66 giving us a 47% chance of winning.  So he has it as a coin toss.  I think line opens Harvard -2. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:03:29 am »

Maybe we can join the Ivy League...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:01:00 pm »

Maybe we can join the Ivy League...  Roll Eyes

booolah, booolah!

McShane wants us in tweed uniforms. 
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 02:21:42 pm »

Compughterratings.com has us winning by 4   and has Duquesne and Richmond ranked lower than us in the A10 at this point
Report Spam   Logged
SkipPass71
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:23 pm »

Agreed. This will be a tough one.

Haaaavaad 59    Rams 53

As yes, but where to paaaaaaaak the caaaaaaaaaah 85?

This will be the CHOWDA CHALLENGE:  We win, they provide some of that great New England stuff.  They win, we pony-up with the Manhattan variety or perhaps a Bronx variation on same.

Winnable game?  Indeed, but we MUST play better!

Fun video bit on the screen introduced at the Maine game.  In it, one of our "International players" points to common basketball terminology in his native tongue (on a white board) and the American born Rams player tries to match it to the English term and pronounce it.  It may be very funny, but who knows, you see, for a country that has landed several folks on the moon and where Sandra Bullock is able to return home safely from her space adventure, we STILL can't get an intelligible PA system in the historic RHG!!

Speaking of those international players, the video board also noted that they comprise about half of our roster.  In the past, a common lament was why can't we get some of the Bronx ballers and other Metro area hoops stars to stay and play locally?  Now it would appear that as for the Rams, we are looking for the next "Dirk" or "Manu" rather than the next "Smush" or "Scootchie."  I'm not a huge stat guy, but when I looked it up, of the NCAA players who got to dance in last year's tournament, somewhere around 11% were of the international variety.  Not sure what this means, just an observation.

When TP's Rams downed Harvard in 2012, I think it was the Post that cleverly headlined:  Fordham teaches Harvard a lesson!  Hopefully, school's in session again on Wednesday night!  Go Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:13 am »

Golf clap.

Pomeroy has Harvard winning 67-66 giving us a 47% chance of winning.  So he has it as a coin toss.  I think line opens Harvard -2. 

Sagarin also  mhas Harvard (2-6) as 2 point favs.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 11:03:43 am »

Now it would appear that as for the Rams, we are looking for the next "Dirk" or "Manu" rather than the next "Smush" or "Scootchie." 

Much better odds of getting the next "Smush" than the next "Dirk".
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:34 am »

Much better odds of getting the next "Smush" than the next "Dirk".

How about the next Domantas Sabonis?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »

hope next to Snap out of Slump - Tre Evans - Big!!!
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 01:26:50 pm »

This will be the CHOWDA CHALLENGE:  We win, they provide some of that great New England stuff.  They win, we pony-up with the Manhattan variety or perhaps a Bronx variation on same.

Clam chowder from the Bronx?  Is that made with tainted clams harvested illegally from the polluted mudflats of the Bronx shoreline?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 01:40:57 pm »

Opening Harvard -1.5. McShane is moving the line.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »

Opening Harvard -1.5. McShane is moving the line.

LOL ... he wagered the floor fund, double or nothing.

That's called a win either way.  No more floor controversy, or the money is made.  Brilliant Jesuit.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:48:50 am by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:10 am »

Line moves to -1.  I am surprised it went down not up. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:10 am »

hope next to Snap out of Slump - Tre Evans - Big!!!

In my opinion the way you get him to snap out of his shooting funk, is let him freelance a bit. Stop the forced, flat footed 3's. Let him take it to hoop a couple of times and let him only take a 3 as it naturally flows in the game. These standing on the arc threes at the end of the shot clock are never going in.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:28 am »

Evans had numerous in rhythm open threes and literally missed them all.  He’s taken the ball to the basket and not finished most of the time.  His offensive woes have nothing to do with the system.  Very concerning he looks over matched right now.  Maybe he adjusts as the season goes on but other than the ets game where he got to the line 10 times his offense has been atrocious.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: