fordhamfans.com
December 14, 2017, 02:01:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM  (Read 4202 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »

Pecora could actually recruit a few players but couldn't coach a lick. Honestly still waiting for JN's star recruit.

True on all counts. Pecora had too many misses too though. So did DW and so did Hill before him and so did Macarchuk before him. And were it not for our NYC location, I think it would be worse. There is a common denominator, but 85 will have a fit if I bring it up.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:53 pm »

True on all counts. Pecora had too many misses too though. So did DW and so did Hill before him and so did Macarchuk before him. And were it not for our NYC location, I think it would be worse. There is a common denominator, but 85 will have a fit if I bring it up.

No facility has anything to do with a guy being so block F stupid to run out the shot clock, he would have kept running too did he think the game was over? I seriously question that sequence, did he think he was running out the game clock? don't we have coaches?
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 09:37:38 pm »

Can we please stop with this we have a good coach stuff? Based on what? Without Rhoomes, Neubauer is working on his third losing season.

JN found his short lived success on TP's recruits. If he doesn't land an all-star recruit for next year then he should pack his bags. Up almost 20 points against Manhattan and he's going ballistic on the sideline making subs with 2 seconds to go in the game. Caught with his tail between his legs in this very winnable game during crunch time. Absolutely love the defense schemes he has implemented but offense is putrid. Is there a stat that keeps track of shotclock violations? Keep chucking up prayers, maybe these guys should have a team mass beforehand to pray some of them go in the basket.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »

No facility has anything to do with a guy being so block F stupid to run out the shot clock, he would have kept running too did he think the game was over? I seriously question that sequence, did he think he was running out the game clock? don't we have coaches?

If you think Havsa sucks, well think about how he would not be here if we could recruit better. And our recruiting has everything to do with facilities. Stop kidding yourself.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »

Can we please stop with this we have a good coach stuff? Based on what? Without Rhoomes, Neubauer is working on his third losing season.

Oh boy now you have done it. Any minute now the forum policeman will be sending you a nasty post telling you to get lost. I made a similar comment a few days ago questioning the coaching and recruiting and was told I should stop watching and stop posting and don't let the door hit me on the way out. Obviously it didn't stop me from doing either. In fact I will be attending my 3rd game this season on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 09:41:52 pm »

JN found his short lived success on TP's recruits. If he doesn't land an all-star recruit for next year then he should pack his bags. Up almost 20 points against Manhattan and he's going ballistic on the sideline making subs with 2 seconds to go in the game. Caught with his tail between his legs in this very winnable game during crunch time. Absolutely love the defense schemes he has implemented but offense is putrid. Is there a stat that keeps track of shotclock violations? Keep chucking up prayers, maybe these guys should have a team mass beforehand to pray some of them go in the basket.

Pack his bags and we bring in whom exactly? Neubauer might not be the ultimate solution, but he is not the problem.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »

If you think Havsa sucks, well think about how he would not be here if we could recruit better. And our recruiting has everything to do with facilities. Stop kidding yourself.

Sucks is not the issue. A 9 year old can see the shot clock and you have 4 coaches to yell at you. That was a bizarre and almost surreal sequence.
Report Spam   Logged
Fish Fry
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:24 pm »

I've been quiet for some time. I'm quiet no more. Agree with RAM71. Once again, somebody tell me how we are better off with this guy than we were with the last guy. One of the pundits here recently wrote that this isn't "Pecora coaching". Maybe not, but these are Pecora results, baby. Enough of this happy horsespit. Year 3 and this sucker is moving backwards. Again. If Neubie is the guy, time for him to start showing it. His teams better find a way to close out these games and he and his staff goddamn well better pick it up on the recruiting trail. Nobody cares how many steals your stupid system creates if you're not winning games. Find some flippin' players.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:31 pm »

Sucks is not the issue. A 9 year old can see the shot clock and you have 4 coaches to yell at you. That was a bizarre and almost surreal sequence.

That's one bonehead play that may or may not have decided the outcome of the game. The issue is the overall talent level.
Report Spam   Logged

kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:35 pm »

Pack his bags and we bring in whom exactly? Neubauer might not be the ultimate solution, but he is not the problem.

Problem is we are chucking threes with players incapable of making them. Comes down to talent. Where is it on this team? Majority of our scholly players would likely be walk ons at other programs in our league or at least play like it thus far this season. What saving grace does Jn have when it comes to recruiting? Who's his bright spot there?
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:33 pm »

So much to chew on but I only have the energy for one thing. Slanina being out there from 7:30 to 2:30 left in the first half was a travesty. He gave his all the first 12 minutes, give him a 1-2 minute breather and get him right back out there. So what if you then have no one to guard Lewis, he could no longer guard Lewis and he missed 4-5 shots in that span because he had no legs. Horrible.

I give up too.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:18 pm »

I assume the thought here is that whomever coaches here will never be able to recruit? Correct? If so I tend to agree somewhat but I still think we could do better than some of the recruits JN has brought in in the 3 years. Sorry but when you lose to the Sacred Hearts, Miami of Ohio and a team like Harvard tonight not to mention barely beating Maine then its a bunch of reasons including coaching.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »

This program has been in decline for over 25 years.  The students have no interest, the administration has no interest, high school coaches have no interest, the only people who care about this program are about 20-25 die hards most of whom graduated over 30 years ago.  It's the same thing year after year.  
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »

Problem is we are chucking threes with players incapable of making them. Comes down to talent. Where is it on this team? Majority of our scholly players would likely be walk ons at other programs in our league or at least play like it thus far this season. What saving grace does Jn have when it comes to recruiting? Who's his bright spot there?

I agree on the talent. The point is that it is not going to change with a new coach. We have 4 previous coaches to prove that. Other coaches only did mildly better or it was very short lived.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:30 pm »

I assume the thought here is that whomever coaches here will never be able to recruit? Correct? If so I tend to agree somewhat but I still think we could do better than some of the recruits JN has brought in in the 3 years. Sorry but when you lose to the Sacred Hearts, Miami of Ohio and a team like Harvard tonight not to mention barely beating Maine then its a bunch of reasons including coaching.

I don't disagree overall, but I still think he is the best coach we have had since Macarchuk. Not saying much, but why is it that we also have not gotten better coaches apply for the job either?
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »

Where are the coaches in the last minute?
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:16 pm »

Where are the coaches in the last minute?

Choking! And if I were on that bench for the absolutely bogus 5 second call I'm getting myself ejected. Without a doubt.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:32 pm »

Choking! And if I were on that bench for the absolutely bogus 5 second call I'm getting myself ejected. Without a doubt.

I said earlier that it seemed like a quick 5. Nobody commented though, probably b/c that was just one blip in a horrible game. That's one thing that has always bugged me about basketball, that 5 second call is too reliant on a human and not a clock.
Report Spam   Logged

PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »

I don't disagree overall, but I still think he is the best coach we have had since Macarchuk. Not saying much, but why is it that we also have not gotten better coaches apply for the job either?

Lets go through it for a moment.

Hill - 10 year contract, NBA resume, name recognition, keys to the car and then some. On talent alone, assumption was that we would be respectable (at minimum), with upside as a perennial postseason program. what ensued was unthinkable.

DW - NC State tournament history, Diversity, Wagner tournament appearance, hot name, apparently had no idea what was behind the curtain.

Pecora - Local guy, Hofstra tournament resume, prime of coaching career, NY/NYC recruiting contacts. logical that he would have success.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2017, 10:02:49 pm »

Fair Point and yes agree not counting DP in 1970 best coaches I have witnessed were Penders and Nick. It is just frustrating to see some of the secondary schools in this area are getting better talent even though we play in a better conference facilities aside.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:39 pm »

Fair Point and yes agree not counting DP in 1970 best coaches I have witnessed were Penders and Nick. It is just frustrating to see some of the secondary schools in this area are getting better talent even though we play in a better conference facilities aside.

Why would those recruits come here if they are going to play and practice in similar facilities and have a better chance at winning games?

BTW, despite how pissed I am right now, I still think we will have some exciting victories as the season progresses.
Report Spam   Logged

Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2017, 10:14:33 pm »

I thought the 5 second call was a bit quick, but Evans has to do a lot better there.

Evans is absolutely the worst player to have inbounding the ball at the end.  I have watched him inbound the ball all season and he always just gets it in before the 5 count.  I don't know why.  However, I agree with you that the count was too fast in this instance and the call wrong.

Another bonehead decision was getting the ball to Havsa with 12 seconds out of bound on the clock near the end.  I think it was when we had a one point lead under a minute.  I just knew he was going to dribble and dribble and dribble and we ended up with a terrible shot off in the last second at the end with this mindless dribbling.

This is really getting hard to watch and stomach, game in and game out.  We are playing really bad teams and we lose to most of them or beat them by a whisker.  Our shooters are terrible and people keep saying it's early, wait til January or February.  It's not going to happen folks.  We are not 349 out of 351 on 3 point percentage because of a "bad streak".  We stink at shooting 3 pointers.  Period.

Now if you look at our free throw shooting, that's another joke.  40% on Tavares's 2 out of 5 from the line.  No other player got to the line because Tavares is the only one who really drives (unless you want to count Chartouny who is chucking up layups which don't even touch the rim).  Tavares is a nice all around player but can't hit his free throws for some reason.

We lost this game in the final minute having never been behind til the last few seconds.  Exasperating & Inexcusable.  Crowd down to 1,012.
Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »

I think our best chance to improve is to hire an assistant from a strong program. Someone who can put some life in this program and understands the importance of recruiting.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:42 pm »

Richie - that was the announced crowd that includes season ticket no shows. Looked more like 800 at best
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:35 pm »

I think our best chance to improve is to hire an assistant from a strong program. Someone who can put some life in this program and understands the importance of recruiting.

LOL. You think that the other coaches we have had did not understand the importance of recruiting? It will only be slightly better with another coach. This coach might not be the answer, but he is not the problem either.

And why would one of these hot assistants want this job?
Report Spam   Logged

Golden Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:01 pm »

Please,please...let us not start with the facilities again. Iona and Manhattan have facilities as bad as ours if not worst and yet they manage to get good players.
And......already with the coach.......JN. Knows how to coach,he needs To hire someone who can recruit.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:06 pm »

Please,please...let us not start with the facilities again. Iona and Manhattan have facilities as bad as ours if not worst and yet they manage to get good players.
And......already with the coach.......JN. Knows how to coach,he needs To hire someone who can recruit.

I already touched on why they can land those players, and they are only arguably better. That also does not mean they would compete in the A10. Remember that despite how horrible we have been, we have split with Manhattan the last few years. If you don't think the facilities are a huge detriment then you have to get your head out of the sand.

What people need to do is stop thinking that it is not about facilities. It is not just the gym they play in, but practice facility, locker room, etc. The topic might get old, but that does not mean that it is not a true issue.
Report Spam   Logged

Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:13 pm »

Hey, guys...just got in! What's goin' on? How'd we do? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:19 pm »

Sorry, but Draddy is actually more fun than the RHG...
Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2017, 10:34:24 pm »

LOL. You think that the other coaches we have had did not understand the importance of recruiting? It will only be slightly better with another coach. This coach might not be the answer, but he is not the problem either.

And why would one of these hot assistants want this job?

Why Not?  Quinnipac hired Dunleavy from Villanova - he has some good recruits coming in and I saw him play Columbia - his team moved the ball around and hit like 14 3ptrs. Would he have rather taken the FU job if it was available? Look at the success the Football program had when it brought in Moorehead an assistant from UCONN.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:36:02 pm by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: