fordhamfans.com
December 18, 2017, 01:35:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard @ Fordham Pregame/In-game 12/6/17 7PM  (Read 4207 times)
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:58 am »

After last night we are dead last.

These games are lifeless, in a dead gym, with less than 1000 fans.  Its moribund right now. 

I just listened to the post game presser. Not one question about the 3 point shooting. These are softballs, questions about the defense which we already know is good and was good. If you are not going to ask anything at all relevant to why we lost, then its a total waste of time.  I also didnt hear him ask about the last sequence with the two turnovers...

read it and weep DR:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/fao/

You're right, we now lead the nation in having the lowest 3pt%.  We're #1, we're #1!

But what's important here is that we held Harvard to 47...
Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:08 am »

Crawford runs the defense.  Neubauer has to do something anything to reach out to fans in general.  The two minute video where he talks 30 seconds is useless.  Go on FUV on a Saturday take questions from fans.  He is fun to talk to about basketball but for some reason he avoids engaging on a regular basis.

I agree that JN does not reach out to fans. I really don't feel he has a connection to the school. Pecora despite all his coaching issues was on FUV almost every week, he talked up the school in public. On twitter I see dialogue between the different FU sports - for example, a lot of the teams and coaches were cheering on men's soccer on Twitter - I don't think I saw anything from JN.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:31 am »

I did not see most of the game, but (for karmic reasons that probably have to do with all the bad things I have done in my life) I did tune in to see the Havsa dribbling exhibition and the Evans vapor lock.  A couple of questions: in both instances why doesn't Chartouny have the ball in his hands? I know he's been a season long funk on offense but he's supposed to be the leader on the team.  And, how in the name of all that is good and holy do you only go to the line 5 times at home?

And I know there are plenty of valid questions of how JN handled things last night, but I think that the players have to make plays at the end.  And these aren't plays of the spectacular variety, just dribble with a purpose to the basket/inbound the basketball. These are fundamental plays that weren't executed, not coaching errors.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:55 am »

You're right, we now lead the nation in having the lowest 3pt%.  We're #1, we're #1!

But what's important here is that we held Harvard to 47...

Yes, 47-point games are that fast-paced, exciting brand of basketball that fans like to see.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:27 am »

Neubauer absolutely congratulated soccer on twitter during their run.  But truthfully that is easy and far short of what has to happen.   Go on FUV. I dont understand his reluctance if you are a basketball fan he is great to listen to.  

Yes, 47-point games are that fast-paced, exciting brand of basketball that fans like to see.

If you win 50-47 it becomes a source of pride ask Virginia.  You lose those games then you get this thread. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2017, 10:51:31 am »

I did not see most of the game, but (for karmic reasons that probably have to do with all the bad things I have done in my life) I did tune in to see the Havsa dribbling exhibition and the Evans vapor lock.  A couple of questions: in both instances why doesn't Chartouny have the ball in his hands? I know he's been a season long funk on offense but he's supposed to be the leader on the team.  And, how in the name of all that is good and holy do you only go to the line 5 times at home?

And I know there are plenty of valid questions of how JN handled things last night, but I think that the players have to make plays at the end.  And these aren't plays of the spectacular variety, just dribble with a purpose to the basket/inbound the basketball. These are fundamental plays that weren't executed, not coaching errors.

Very good point. JC and Taveres need to demand the ball in these situations. You are Seniors. Act like it. Mandell Thomas would have demanded the ball and knocked down 2 FTs.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:52 am »

A couple of questions: in both instances why doesn't Chartouny have the ball in his hands? I know he's been a season long funk on offense but he's supposed to be the leader on the team.  And, how in the name of all that is good and holy do you only go to the line 5 times at home?

I was concerned about JC being off the ball with this group this season.  I think there's something to that.  That's an easy change going forward, if the coaches see it the same way.

I'm surprised that Coach Neu doesn't value the FT more.  It's (should be?) a high % shot in line with his thinking.  I think he's afraid of pushing the action, not getting the foul call, and having the opponent racing down the court before our defense is set.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:59 am »

I'm surprised that Coach Neu doesn't value the FT more.  It's (should be?) a high % shot in line with his thinking.  I think he's afraid of pushing the action, not getting the foul call, and having the opponent racing down the court before our defense is set.

Good point.  Harvard went 100% (7-7) on FT in the 2nd half, we went 50% (2-4).  I know 3's are the big problem, but since that didn't happen had Tavares just made the other two FT's we could have saved this in OT.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:55 am »

Good point.  Harvard went 100% (7-7) on FT in the 2nd half, we went 50% (2-4).  I know 3's are the big problem, but since that didn't happen had Tavares just made the other two FT's we could have saved this in OT.

All shooting is the problem.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2017, 11:40:26 am »

Crawford runs the defense.  Neubauer has to do something anything to reach out to fans in general.  The two minute video where he talks 30 seconds is useless.  Go on FUV on a Saturday take questions from fans.  He is fun to talk to about basketball but for some reason he avoids engaging on a regular basis.

I like Crawford. Plus he actually does small things to engage with fans and supporters. Can't say he's not trying or doing his part. Seems to bring positive energy to one of the dullest group of players in America.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2017, 11:46:02 am »

All shooting is the problem.

My focus was narrowly on the FT question, however you are correct of course.  It's just a subset of the larger shooting problem, and we shouldn't be counting on FT's to win most games.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:02 pm »

It was one of the worst RHG games, ever. Starting with one of the strangest guitar solos doing the National Anthem.  Those violent electric sounds should have been predictive of the chaos that would come at the end of the game. The crowd was dead; at most 600 paying customers; the gym experience: the same mediocre food, lack of facilities.   Most have commented on the good defense that we played.  But we may not be able to play it with such a depleted roster. Our shooting % went from 38% in the first half to a merger 22% in the 2nd half; 26% from 3 in the 1st to 14% in the 2nd. How tired were the players at the end of the game? There were many mistakes made at the end, as there have been in other games where we seemed to run out of gas.   A year ago, this year was shaping up to one where the team would have senior depth for the first time in many years. 2 Seniors leave, 3 players out with injuries, apparently for the year, and the team may lack the depth to play the tough defense to keep us in games, without running out of gas out at the end and handing the game away.   
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »

It was one of the worst RHG games, ever. Starting with one of the strangest guitar solos doing the National Anthem.  Those violent electric sounds should have been predictive of the chaos that would come at the end of the game. The crowd was dead; at most 600 paying customers; the gym experience: the same mediocre food, lack of facilities.   Most have commented on the good defense that we played.  But we may not be able to play it with such a depleted roster. Our shooting % went from 38% in the first half to a merger 22% in the 2nd half; 26% from 3 in the 1st to 14% in the 2nd. How tired were the players at the end of the game? There were many mistakes made at the end, as there have been in other games where we seemed to run out of gas.   A year ago, this year was shaping up to one where the team would have senior depth for the first time in many years. 2 Seniors leave, 3 players out with injuries, apparently for the year, and the team may lack the depth to play the tough defense to keep us in games, without running out of gas out at the end and handing the game away.  

Other than that, how was your evening? Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »

The flat tire and food poisoning were just a bonus.
Report Spam   Logged
Maroon BleeDerr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:56 pm »

It was one of the worst RHG games, ever. Starting with one of the strangest guitar solos doing the National Anthem.  Those violent electric sounds should have been predictive of the chaos that would come at the end of the game. The crowd was dead; at most 600 paying customers; the gym experience: the same mediocre food, lack of facilities.     

At least the National Anthem got some positive press https://deadspin.com/electric-guitar-national-anthem-is-the-best-national-an-1821080492
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2017, 12:30:13 pm »

Neubauer absolutely congratulated soccer on twitter during their run.  But truthfully that is easy and far short of what has to happen.   Go on FUV. I dont understand his reluctance if you are a basketball fan he is great to listen to.  

If you win 50-47 it becomes a source of pride ask Virginia.  You lose those games then you get this thread. 

You beat me to the Virginia example.  Winning solves a lot of problems.

As an outsider, non-alum, I don't think it's the level of athlete.  Yes, the shooting has been horrible. No denying it.  But most of these guys have shot better elsewhere or even here before.  Yes, it isn't Kentucky or Duke level one and dones.  Win with what you have and better players will come and it becomes more sustainable, things get better and better and it feeds on itself.

I don't think it's the facilities.  I've enjoyed games at Rose Hill.  I'd like more wins. Winning will bring in more people, which creates a better atmosphere, which leads to a better home court advantage, which leads to more wins.  I don't think you can point to empty stands in a small old gym and say we need a new arena.  Fill up the old one and prove you need the new one.  Maybe new facilities will help get to the next level, but I very strongly believe the first step is starting a winning culture from the ground up.

I think Neubauer is a good coach.  He's light years ahead of the last 3 at least.  He does have issues with timeouts.  Almost every fan base has issues with their coach's use of timeouts. Some coaches horde.  Some use them to stop runs.  JN's usage is a little unique, but I don't think that is costing the games.  The in-bounding thing is frustrating and has been an issue.  Chartouny has had issues with it, too.  But that shouldn't happen at this level?  Uh, "Havlicek stole the ball..." "Bird stole the ball..."  Justifiably famous plays, and remembered because they stick out, but they happen.  Even to NBA all-stars playing for a title.  The other teams play defense and give scholarships, too.  But tighten it up.

I admit I found last night shocking and disheartening.  And Miami.  And George Washington.  And Sacred Heart.  Of course there were also some close wins last year on last second shots.  You play this close to the edge you will win and lose a few nail-biters.  The way some of them are lost, however, are pretty demoralizing. The 3 point shooting is also almost unfathomable.  Likewise demoralizing.  And that's the thing.  The team needs a shrink almost.  Or an exorcist.

I don't think the current players are effected by the last 25 years, but a winning culture requires a committed administration, fan base, staff and players.  Start with the staff and players.  Fan bases can be fickle and can turn on players.  I think you have a pretty good coach.  Whether he can overcome everything else I don't know.  But the players are demoralized.  The fans are.  Given where the program has been it could take a while to turn around, if it's possible.  

Last year everything seemed disastrous but things turned around somewhat.  That took great effort, and then ended in depressing fashion anyway.  And then losing so many pieces, and then the injuries and losses.  That take a toll, too.  We will see how they fight back this year.  Hopefully they show as much fight as last year.  These are the building blocks.  And these are the times that try men's souls.  Sorry for cliches.  These guys should be 5-3.  They very easily could be 7-1, even as horribly as they've shot.  Well, to be 7-1, they'd have to be better than the worst, but not that much.  Which might just be masking how badly they have played on offense.  

Each year you have to teach guys how to win.  Not "don't dribble out the clock" or "inbound the ball within 5 seconds".  They know that.  It's the mental fortitude, as well as just things becoming second nature.  People freeze when they fear failure. It's always a new team and each team has to learn it. But it helps to have it be something the older guys know (and some guys do come in that way, but it's rare), the coach's know, and they can see has come before them.  And a culture of defeat works in reverse.  You can see it spread.  Pekarek played in some wins two years ago, not great but ok.  Havsa did last year.  Tavares has gotten better, but they've gotten worse.  They have to fight through it.  They all do.

I still think the program is on the upswing.  Certainly relative to what it was. And I still say the A-10 is ripe for the picking (not as in we can finish 1st this year, but the league is relatively weak this year) and wish there weren't so many injuries.  I still think things look good with the guys coming in next year.  But it's too soon to wait for next year.  The players can't think like that.  That's part of the whole losing culture thing.

Anyway, despite the 5 second call, at least Evans actually made his first 3s.  And the defense is pretty stellar.  Another thing guys have to learn is it's 1 game.  For us it's 25 years.  But those 25 years don't define this team and they can't let what has happened thus far define them.  And I don't think they will, but I'm a little meshuga that way.  I just don't get the 2 win, 3 win, 7 win vibe.  Although with Miami, last night, even the Maine win on the resume, and the history, I can understand covering up in a fetal position.  I do get it.

Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2017, 12:46:24 pm »

As an outsider, non-alum, I don't think it's the level of athlete.  

I don't think it's the facilities.  

Way wrong on both counts.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2017, 12:51:04 pm »

I'm not saying these guys are all high end recruits but they were all recruited elsewhere and some at higher levels. So to be the dead last 3 pt. shooting teaminnation is pretty amazing.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2017, 12:53:15 pm »

+1
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »

You beat me to the Virginia example.  Winning solves a lot of problems.

As an outsider, non-alum, I don't think it's the level of athlete.  Yes, the shooting has been horrible. No denying it.  But most of these guys have shot better elsewhere or even here before.  Yes, it isn't Kentucky or Duke level one and dones.  Win with what you have and better players will come and it becomes more sustainable, things get better and better and it feeds on itself.

. . .

Oh my Lord, you poor, poor soul.  Why do you do this to yourself? The threads of our destiny have ensnared us in this debacle.  You on the other hand . . .
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »

Other than that, how was your evening? Wink

You should've been there. It would've made for a nice journey home!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »

No I'm not.  The Miami loss and Harvard loss weren't the athletes.  Neither were the Tulane loss or ETSU loss, really.  Sure, better athletes help.  Better facilities help. Worse "athletes" beat better ones all the time at the college level, and some teams with good athletes, or good players, are awful.  Teams win games shooting like crap. Just not every single game. I've seen enough of our players and Whitt and Hill recruited some ok players.  That didn't help (although Whitt had some decent teams).

You don't have facilties and won't have any for years even if you started now with a plan to have them.  I've seen good teams play in shitholes.  Don't get me wrong, good new facilities would be great.  But you can get started down the road to respectability without them.  And you'll have to.  You have lost 2 1 possession games, a 2 possession game and a 3 possession game because your players have shot nearly 100% off their own career averages. Not because they can't beat Tulane's players one on one or because you can't get a Shake Shack Burger or have to walk out of the gym to take a piss.  Get above .500 a few years running, compete, get up to a certain level of fan interest and then go from there.  

And I heard everyone last year say they'd go winless in the A-10.  I said then that was dead wrong and that was at 0-3 already. And I didn't mean 2 wins, or what have you. Frankly speaking, even 7 wins looks tough now with the roster so thin.  So yes, I guess it is the players, but you have 2 guys down for the year immediately after losing 2 guys unexpectedly late, sure, it doesn't help.  They still lost games they should and could win.  And 17-14, 13-19, no, that's not enough.  But 2 decades of sub-teen level wins, it takes more than a couple of years to rebuild.

I'll shut up about all of it because folks disagree and it's pointless.  I think dwelling on it is mind-poison and of all things should be a separate thread.        
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2017, 02:01:03 pm »

Oh my Lord, you poor, poor soul.  Why do you do this to yourself? The threads of our destiny have ensnared us in this debacle.  You on the other hand . . .

Ha.  I am a huge basketball fan (I guess it shows).  I followed the Penders teams pretty closely, then off and on for years.  I got interested again when my nephew started at Fordham.  He graduated in 2015.  My family is from North Carolina, I went To Dean Smith's camps growing up and attended UNC.  But I live and work here.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

+1

-2.  I win.   Wink

Seriously, the players?

Eric Paschall plays 26 mpg for 9-0 number 1 Kenpom ranked Villanova.

Christian Sengfelder plays 27 mpg for 8-1 Bpoise St., Kenpom number 61.

Antwoine Anderson plays 34 mpg for 6-3 UConn, Kenpom #90.

Manny Suarez plays 10 mpg for 6-2 Creighton, Kenpom #32.

Nych Smith plays 20 mpg for 5-4 Winthrop, which went to the NCAAs last year.

Jon Severe played 26 mpg for 22-13 Iona last year.

OK, all except Smyth Pecora recruits.  But Pecora had all of them but Smyth in 2014-15. And went 10-21, 4-14.

Neubauer had them but lost Paschall and the very next year they went 17-14, 8-10.

Quibble about strength of schedule.  But Fordham has had good enough players in certain years and the teams were still awful.

Other teams want those players.  Some pretty good teams.  They play.  They may not be stars.  But they are good NCAA level players.  That's a whole team of them out there.

I know some on here hate mentioning the guys that left, the woe is us and what if.  What I'm talking about is the opposite.

People have bemoaned the level of players for years.  That's not why you were so bad. You had terrible coaches.

You bemoan the facilities.  But those "good" players came here.  They didn't play well for Pecora, or for other coaches in the past.

OK, those players aren't the players on the current team.  And you had late defections and injuries.  But all of these guys would get jobs elsewhere.  I heard it all last year.  This team was that close to .500 in A-10 for the first time in a decade. Blown late lead to GW, and to Duquesne.  And all I hear is oh we don't have players when you were 0-3.  Oh, Bunting can't play.  Now we see he can. 

OK, sure, it's the players.  They are 3-5 and only 8 guys.  But you (not you Ace, I'm speaking of generic fans) have all said it's the players and the facilities again and again, but players that came here are winning players all over the place and still lost here under the wrong coach.

Maybe JN can't overcome all of this.  But you have taken steps in the right direction and what I think is delusional is to think it changes overnight.  Any bumps on the road and a woe is us attitude just swamps the board.  It isn't rational.

And it's also pretty irrational to be optimistic about this year given where things stand.  But they still have to play the games.  And things looked suck ass  last year and still ended up with some fun basketball and some nice wins, if ultimately disappointing.  The 2 years combined are light years ahead of anything for a long time.     

Guys are missing.  Evans and raut are freshmen.  It takes time.  each of the last 2 years we got better as the season went on.  I don't like crapping the out of conference bed.  Maybe sometime we'll be good and lucky at the same time.

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2017, 02:43:39 pm »

Drunkle killing it in this thread.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »

-2.  I win.   Wink

Seriously, the players?

OK, all except Smyth Pecora recruits.  But Pecora had all of them but Smyth in 2014-15. And went 10-21, 4-14.

Neubauer had them but lost Paschall and the very next year they went 17-14, 8-10.

Quibble about strength of schedule.  But Fordham has had good enough players in certain years and the teams were still awful.

Other teams want those players.  Some pretty good teams.  They play.  They may not be stars.  But they are good NCAA level players.  That's a whole team of them out there.

I know some on here hate mentioning the guys that left, the woe is us and what if.  What I'm talking about is the opposite.

People have bemoaned the level of players for years.  That's not why you were so bad. You had terrible coaches.

You bemoan the facilities.  But those "good" players came here.  They didn't play well for Pecora, or for other coaches in the past.

OK, those players aren't the players on the current team.  And you had late defections and injuries.  But all of these guys would get jobs elsewhere.  I heard it all last year.  This team was that close to .500 in A-10 for the first time in a decade. Blown late lead to GW, and to Duquesne.  And all I hear is oh we don't have players when you were 0-3.  Oh, Bunting can't play.  Now we see he can. 

OK, sure, it's the players.  They are 3-5 and only 8 guys.  But you (not you Ace, I'm speaking of generic fans) have all said it's the players and the facilities again and again, but players that came here are winning players all over the place and still lost here under the wrong coach.

Maybe JN can't overcome all of this.  But you have taken steps in the right direction and what I think is delusional is to think it changes overnight.  Any bumps on the road and a woe is us attitude just swamps the board.  It isn't rational.

And it's also pretty irrational to be optimistic about this year given where things stand.  But they still have to play the games.  And things looked suck ass  last year and still ended up with some fun basketball and some nice wins, if ultimately disappointing.  The 2 years combined are light years ahead of anything for a long time.     

Guys are missing.  Evans and raut are freshmen.  It takes time.  each of the last 2 years we got better as the season went on.  I don't like crapping the out of conference bed.  Maybe sometime we'll be good and lucky at the same time.

Jahshire Hardnett also averaging 24 mins a game for a 7-2 BYU Team. 

We've gotten players.  Our facilities suck and don't help recruiting -- but they're not the reason why Chartouny lost his shooting touch, why Pekarek completely regressed and why Ohams and Bunting are out with season-ending injuries.   
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:11 pm »

good players want to leave here. Chartouny would be gone if he had another option for this season.
it is the facilities and everything else that feeds into the culture of losing. it gets old quick even if they come.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »

Not to get off topic, but another player that was a complete miss at Fordham, but did just fine elsewhere (albeit it a lower level) is Jeff Short. I believe he ended up with an NCAA appearance at Norfolk State, averaged 19 ppg his junior year, 16 ppg as a senior - and shot it well too.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:03 pm »

-2.  I win.   Wink

Seriously, the players?

You mention a bunch of players that are not here, some whose eligibility has been exhausted or would be if they had stayed. That is too small a scattering, you need 2 or 3 of those type of guys every year to be successful. How many of those guys you mention were all A10?

But let's say I give it to you and it is not difficult to recruit here, so what you are saying is that Neubauer and staff suck as recruiters?
Report Spam   Logged

high school hoops
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:12 pm »

We still play very good defense for the most part. Harvard did not get a lot of great looks and our defensive system and toughness gets much of the credit for the low score. Harvard scored 70 points in a close loss to Kentucky. You can't just look at the pace of play ( for low scores) as we do defend well for the most part. We are playing a European style offensive system but we don't have the talent to play that style. We have no true 4 or5 which makes it very difficult to play that style of play. Yet, despite that limitation, many of our 3 point misses last night were wide open looks and the misses were not close. I don't like the shooting mechanics of several of our kids.

We made a lot of mistakes at the end of the game last night. For example, we were up 1 with 18 seconds left and could not get the ball inbounds even though we knew we were going to be fouled. We had two guys at the 3 point line with the other two guys at mid court ( opposite sides). We did not use any screens to get someone open and we were spread much too wide to effectively use lots of movement in a tight space to create openings. This made ball denial so much easier for Harvard.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: