fordhamfans.com
December 13, 2017, 08:06:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Official National Coaching Search Thread

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official National Coaching Search Thread  (Read 4822 times)
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:59 pm »

Just like all of us came up with Jeff Neubauer two years ago? Dave Roach has taken ownership here; he has decided to work with Parker Search.

I'm sorry , has jeff nuebauer won anything? So because you never heard of him before Fordham that's a good hire?
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 11:03:03 pm »

There is no doubt that hiring a 1-A assistant could come with the benefit of some transfers ala Joe M with Nebrich/Tebucky, etc.

If we don't go in the that direction, I think we should look at Pete Rossamando. His career trajectory is very impressive. Assistant at Albany. Then to New Haven where he got them to #3 in D-2 and National Coach of the year. Then at Central he got them to 8-4 in year 4 (almost 9-3 as they had us on the ropes). He also went ot UNH in the first round and lost 14-0 (Much better than Joe did vs. UNH in the playoffs) He also did that with his back-up QB as suspended the starter the week before the game. Takes some guts to do that. Also a Staten Island kid although that matters less.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/coaches/Rossomando?view=bio

Also of note. He had 3 D-1 transfers on his roster at CCSU. 2 brothers from WVU (leading rusher and DB) and a Temple transfer.

Not saying he is the guy but any means, but he does have a solid resume that is hard to ignore.
Based on credentials alone, I would view him as a candidate.

I am sure Parker will come up with some candidates.

Not saying it is a bad idea, but it is fair to say the ADs get off easy when a search firm is hired.  I always felt that hiring coaches and admin is at or near the top of n AD's top responsibilities.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 11:05:10 pm »

Not saying it is a bad idea, but it is fair to say the ADs get off easy when a search firm is hired.  I always felt that hiring coaches and admin is at or near the top of n AD's top responsibilities.

I agree, but at the same time there is too much money on the line. No doubt it is a bit of CYA, but as you said, not a bad idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 11:22:41 pm »

I'm sorry , has jeff nuebauer won anything? So because you never heard of him before Fordham that's a good hire?

Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that you are one of those posters who believed that Tom Pecora was the second coming of Digger Phelps, and has never gotten over his firing.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 01:21:16 pm »

Some intersting news

There are not many open HC positions at the FCS level, so we shoudl not have a ton of competition.  Of those available, none are that attractive.
see list below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_coaches

I was curious as to how much a FCS coach makes, there were a few lists (see one below which shows the avg to be about $240K.
I know our cost of living is higher than most other schools, but I am curious to know how much AB made.  Anyone know for sure?

Overall, I wish AB the best but honestly I am glad he is gone.  He was not qualified for the position and I think the results speak for themselves.
He was not mature enough to handle the situation, and that is fine and happy to be moving on.  I just hope we can find a good coach to lead the program.  Even better would be a BOT and President who gave a sh!t about sports.

FCS SALARIES
Turner Gill received a base salary of $658,492 and a total compensation package of $750,116 for the Liberty fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, according to tax documents retrieved online. Liberty’s 5th year head coach had the highest compensation package of any other FCS coach we researched. The full list of 24 other head coaches’ salaries we reviewed is listed below:.
NOTE: LIBERTY IS GOING FBS 2018

Richmond’s Danny Rocco received a total package worth $437,672. *
Northern Iowa’s Mark Farley had a base salary of $350,000. %
Villanova’s Andy Talley received a base salary of $304,642 with a total package of $341,096. *
James Madison’s Mike  Houston had a starting salary of $300,000 in his first year this season. #
Illinois State’s Brock Spack had a base salary of $300,000. %
North Carolina A&T’s Rod Broadway had a base salary of $285,000. #
In Samford’s Pat Sullivan’s final season before Chris Hatcher took over, he had a base salary of $274,665 and a total package worth $438,196. *
North Dakota State’s Chris Klieman had a base salary of $261,177 with a total package worth 300,000. #%
Sam Houston State’s KC Keeler had a base salary of $250,000. %
Youngstown State’s Bo Pelini had a base salary of 213,894 in his first year this season. #
Cal Poly’s Tim Walsh had a base salary of $205,200. #
New Hampshire’s Sean McDonnell had a base salary of $200,000. #
Grambling State’s Broderick Fobbs had a base salary of $195,000. #
South Dakota State’s John Stiegelmeier had a base salary of $190,000. %
Jacksonville State’s John Grass received a base salary of $181,000 with a total package of $251,000. ^
Eastern Washington’s Beau Baldwin received a package worth $212,717. !
Central Arkansas’ Steve Campbell had a base salary of $185,000. #
Coastal Carolina’s Joe Moglia had a base salary of $175,000. #
Montana’s Bob Stitt had a base salary of $175,000 in 2015. %#
The Citadel’s Brent Thompson received a base salary of $175,000 in 2016. $
Samford’s Chris Hatcher had a base salary of $152,650 in his final season at Murray State in 2014. *#
Chattanooga’s Russ Huesman had a base salary of $150,000. #
North Dakota’s Kyle Schweigert had a base salary of $150,000. #
Charleston Southern’s Jamey Chadwell received a base salary of $120,542 and total package worth $139,670. *

Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of all 125 FCS programs, but we concentrated our research on teams’ currently ranked in the FCS Top 25 polls and a few other top programs. All salaries are listed for the 2014-15 academic year, unless otherwise noted.

The average compensation package for the above listed FCS head coaches is $260,888.44. If you remove Gill’s numbers, the average drops to $240,503.96. Gill’s compensation would put him 87th amongst all Division I coaches, including the FBS, according to a recent USA Today study.

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »

I'm sorry , has jeff nuebauer won anything?

Seriously?  If you look back at our schedules for the time he's been here I'm sure you'll see some games with a "W".  That is an acronym for "Win".  I know this is complicated, but you'll figure it out.

So because you never heard of him before Fordham that's a good hire?

The idea is that we ended up getting a coach who would otherwise not have been on our radar because he might not have been known to our AD.  By utilizing a search firm with a huge database, you can access a much larger pool of potential candidates than just those that an AD might have through personal contacts alone.
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 01:50:21 pm »

the argument over using a search firm or not at this level seems ludicrous.

it's another tool in the toolbox, and for school who's recipe for success is very much reliant on coaching, we need it.

'nuff said.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:05 pm »

Does Moglia want a new challenge?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:24 pm »

He has one leading an FBS team now, doesn't he? Coastal is no longer or soon no longer will be FCS, from what I have gathered.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »

thanks Chaka..

FCS schools looking for new HC

Hampton Big South
Delaware State MEAC
Florida A&M MEAC
Robert Morris NEC
Tennessee Tech OVC
Fordham Patriot
Holy Cross Patriot

Davidson Pioneer
Incarnate Word Southland
Alabama A&M SWAC
Alabama State SWAC
Arkansas–Pine Bluff SWAC

for a coach that likes the  Northeast these are the only FCS options at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:07 pm »

He has one leading an FBS team now, doesn't he? Coastal is no longer or soon no longer will be FCS, from what I have gathered.

This was Coastal's first year in FCS as a non-independent.  They went 3-9, although they had several close losses.  However, Moglia did not coach.  He spent the past year on medical leave due to a lung condition.  Reports are he expect to return to coaching after Christmas, and I imagine he's going to want to get a crack at coaching at the FCS level.  I don't see him as a realistic candidate for us.  Cory Bailey would be a good hire for us, but he loves it down there, and I'm not sure he'd make the move. 

I think Dave Patenaude (OC at Temple and former Fordham assistant) and Sean McGowan (DC at Yale and former Fordham player) are both going to be in the mix.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:33 pm »

This was Coastal's first year in FCS as a non-independent.  They went 3-9, although they had several close losses.  However, Moglia did not coach.  He spent the past year on medical leave due to a lung condition.  Reports are he expect to return to coaching after Christmas, and I imagine he's going to want to get a crack at coaching at the FCS level.  I don't see him as a realistic candidate for us.  Cory Bailey would be a good hire for us, but he loves it down there, and I'm not sure he'd make the move. 

I think Dave Patenaude (OC at Temple and former Fordham assistant) and Sean McGowan (DC at Yale and former Fordham player) are both going to be in the mix.

You mean FBS, correct?
Report Spam   Logged

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »

Taking the Coastal program from the FBS level is a pretty much the challenge of a career.  Fordham had its chance to hire him and passed.  Moglia and his million$ went to Myrle Beach.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 05:07:39 pm »

Please lord no Dave Patenaude.. this guy is a retread of all retreads.. bounced around more than a basketball and has the personality of a wet blanket..
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 05:10:21 pm »

Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that you are one of those posters who believed that Tom Pecora was the second coming of Digger Phelps, and has never gotten over his firing.

Really based on what? I could care less about Pechora and never stated anything even remotely close to that.. seriously you're pulling the Pechora card here? Please stop making up garbage. I simply said what had neubauer won here and why because a search firm was used does it make it a good hire? Please be an adult
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »

Seriously?  If you look back at our schedules for the time he's been here I'm sure you'll see some games with a "W".  That is an acronym for "Win".  I know this is complicated, but you'll figure it out.

The idea is that we ended up getting a coach who would otherwise not have been on our radar because he might not have been known to our AD.  By utilizing a search firm with a huge database, you can access a much larger pool of potential candidates than just those that an AD might have through personal contacts alone.

Ok you realize the term "win" means something of significance not a sub 500 record.. but hey we used a search form to hire him so you know he's a good coach
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:31 pm »

I would not be surprised to hear that former Fordham QB Mark Carney has applied.  He has coached at a number of schools, including Virginia State where he has served as OC the last three years.  VSU improved each year and were 10-1 this past year with some high-scoring games.  Yes it would be a step up from D2, but he does know Fordham and the PL.  Can he be Moorhead 2.0? 

http://govsutrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=354&path=football
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2017, 07:46:10 pm »

I would not be surprised to hear that former Fordham QB Mark Carney has applied.  He has coached at a number of schools, including Virginia State where he has served as OC the last three years.  VSU improved each year and were 10-1 this past year with some high-scoring games.  Yes it would be a step up from D2, but he does know Fordham and the PL.  Can he be Moorhead 2.0? 

No he's not ,.. not qualified and not morehead 2.0 but that was nice of mrs carney to post this ..
Report Spam   Logged
Ramrookie21
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:07 pm »

thanks Chaka..

FCS schools looking for new HC

Hampton Big South
Delaware State MEAC
Florida A&M MEAC
Robert Morris NEC
Tennessee Tech OVC
Fordham Patriot
Holy Cross Patriot

Davidson Pioneer
Incarnate Word Southland
Alabama A&M SWAC
Alabama State SWAC
Arkansas–Pine Bluff SWAC

for a coach that likes the  Northeast these are the only FCS options at the moment.

The openings you identified are mostly in the SWAC and MEAC conferences which are mainly southern schools. Hampton is in VA. Is it possible that we could find a current FCS HC who wants to take a step up (from the NEC, Pioneer) or a FBS coordinator who wants to run their own program. Hope we find someone good really soon.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:50 pm »

Ok you realize the term "win" means something of significance not a sub 500 record.. but hey we used a search form to hire him so you know he's a good coach

You said "anything", which is a very broadly encompassing term.  How am I supposed to know that "anything" does not actually mean "anything" to you?

Does going 17-14 in his first year count as something of significance, especially in that he was able to win games with the same players that the previous coach couldn't win with?

I think he is a good coach in that he can actually coach during the game, unlike our previous coach who apparently didn't do that kind of thing.  Not saying he's an incredible coach.

I'm glad we used a search firm to find JN.  It's just a tool to be used and the way searches are done nowadays by those who don't want to limit themselves to just the friends and personal network of the AD.  I feel it increases the chances of success.  However, if it turns out JN doesn't work out we at least won't have the same kind of blamestorming for failing to do a professional search, like what we had with the Hill and Pecora fiascos.

Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:50 pm »

DamnRam, why do we waste our time with this illiterate fool? He can't even spell the names of the coaches he posts about correctly. Who is Nuebauer? Who is Pechora? Who is Morehead? I never heard of these people. So maybe it is true that Nuebauer never won anything, but Jeff Neubauer posted a 17-14 record in his first year. In any mathematical process that I'm familiar with, that is a winning record. Compare that to the coach he replaced.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:53 am »

Good guy and a good coach.  I wouldn't exclude him because he's coming from Division II.   I do think I'd like someone more mature.  I think AB is leaving behind some attitude problems that need to be resolved.  I'd like to see some HC experience.   I'm not sure playing experience in the PL from that far back is worth much nor being is being a Fordham graduate.  A student experience doesn't bring much to the table when you return as a head coach.  Two very different views of the institution. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2017, 08:59:37 am »

Why wouldnt we be interested in their head coach, Reggie Barlow?
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:39 am »

DamnRam, why do we waste our time with this illiterate fool? He can't even spell the names of the coaches he posts about correctly. Who is Nuebauer? Who is Pechora? Who is Morehead? I never heard of these people. So maybe it is true that Nuebauer never won anything, but Jeff Neubauer posted a 17-14 record in his first year. In any mathematical process that I'm familiar with, that is a winning record. Compare that to the coach he replaced.

you part of the problem. Your standards are similar to our athletic departments.. you're boasting  about an 8th place finish in the A-10 year one. And oh by the way once someone else starts correcting spelling and grammar on a fan message board , I know they have lost the argument. Nothing of value to add , just point out spelling  mistakes. That's
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:17 am »

you part of the problem. Your standards are similar to our athletic departments.. you're boasting  about an 8th place finish in the A-10 year one. And oh by the way once someone else starts correcting spelling and grammar on a fan message board , I know they have lost the argument. Nothing of value to add , just point out spelling  mistakes. That's

Agree on the spelling/grammar angle, even more so these days with people using their phone to post.

As for standards, I agree in part, but also think we found a good coach in Neubauer. The key is to also give these guys the proper resources to truly succeed.
Report Spam   Logged

Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

Agree on the spelling/grammar angle, even more so these days with people using their phone to post.

As for standards, I agree in part, but also think we found a good coach in Neubauer. The key is to also give these guys the proper resources to truly succeed.

Ok so neubauer with a disasterous year 2 and below 500 career record in year 3 in a sport where 1-2 players can turn your program around is considered a great hire by our search firm and a good coach by many on this board. AB with a winning record after 2 years is a terrible coach and a bad hire by many on this board. I just don't understand the logic
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »

Ok so neubauer with a disasterous year 2 and below 500 career record in year 3 in a sport where 1-2 players can turn your program around is considered a great hire by our search firm and a good coach by many on this board. AB with a winning record after 2 years is a terrible coach and a bad hire by many on this board. I just don't understand the logic

AB was a terrible hire made by people who know nothing about athletics or coaching.  Roach gets a pass on this one.  He did as he was told.

Neubauer seems ok. He's keeping his head above water and with this program that may be as good as it gets.  His recruiting needs to get much better.  It doesn't matter who the coach is.  You can't win without talent. We still don't have a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »

Parker has some good results some bad results some middle of the road. Its just an added tool and it doesnt mean they are totally outsourced to make the decision for us. They can help expedite things.
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »

What can Fordham do to make you happy? If it's nothing, then why waste your time complaining?
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2017, 04:32:21 pm »

AB was a terrible hire made by people who know nothing about athletics or coaching.  Roach gets a pass on this one.  He did as he was told.

You know this for sure?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: