fordhamfans.com
March 25, 2017, 03:50:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Grasso Be Our Coach? Poll Inside. What's Your Vote?

Poll
Question: Should We Hire Jared Grasso as our New Head Coach?  (Voting closed: April 03, 2010, 04:47:22 pm)
Now - 56 (43.8%)
on February 1 - 6 (4.7%)
on March 1 - 11 (8.6%)
No, we should not hire him at all - 10 (7.8%)
Wait until the season is over and interview candidates - 45 (35.2%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Grasso Be Our Coach? Poll Inside. What's Your Vote?  (Read 17964 times)
b.mann
Junior

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:54:05 pm »

All right, I'll be the one to put my neck on the line and start the thread supporting JG's hire ASAP. Throw the barbs (and the Betty's) my way if you must. I know that the wins by the end of the year will not be there to support my thread; the A10 schedule with the team that we have will be an absolute killer. Let's stabilize this thing now so that we know where we stand with the present team and recruits for the upcoming year(s). This is not being done precipitously; I think we know what we have here. A national search produced nothing but disaster for the past 10+ years. I'm willing to take a chance on someone fresh, connected, energetic, and a little wet behind the ears. Refreshing is what I call it. Anybody along for the ride? GO RAMS! GO JG!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

fordahmballer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »

I have been a JG supporter!! I love his energy, recruiting connections, and think he will represent Fordham well!! We need a workaholic who will grind it out and get us players! I agree that Grasso is the guy who can do it. I don't think we can bring in a better recruiter than him, and at the end of the day our biggest need is MORE PLAYERS!
Report Spam   Logged
Maroon BleeDerr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »

I'm willing to take a chance on someone fresh, connected, energetic, and a little wet behind the ears. Refreshing is what I call it. Anybody along for the ride? GO RAMS! GO JG!

Agreed.  Gotta love his enthusiasm.  Let's give him a shot to coach with his guys.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

I want to know what his views of Grank are first.    I know that will be almost impossible to find out, at least in truth.    He may give us spin and a buttkissing response.    But I really want to know.  Because anybody worth hiring has to know that GRANK is the problem here and has been for over 20 years.

Report Spam   Logged
JoltinJoe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »

I agree.  Hire Grasso.  I set forth my reasoning earlier and now that I know 85 approves, I'm even more sure it is the right approach. 

It may work, it may not work.  But I'm pretty sure a guy like Grasso is our best bet right now.
Report Spam   Logged
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

Count me in. The annual donation spigot will reopen from my house.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »

Yes.

Its a unique situation and we can not afford an ANdruzzi-like Frank delay. Just for the love of god do the contract right so the buyout is nominal in the event this thing goes south. And do it now, not in June.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:41:55 pm by ayteefie » Report Spam   Logged
02grad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:10 pm »

In.  Thats how I'd like to see things unfold.  Only viable option in my mind.
Report Spam   Logged
West Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

Agreed.  Gotta love his enthusiasm.  Let's give him a shot to coach with his guys.
He is in an impossible position. This is DW's mess that he has been asked to step into, and I doubt he will be able to win another game this season.
To blame him for DW's incompetence is UNFAIR. To require him to win additional games is UNFAIR.
He has shown that he is able to recruit A-10 talent and is reputed (by a reliable source --RB) to have another two quality commitments for next year, and maybe others for beyond.
I say name him the head coach, give him a contract for the next 2 seasons with maybe an option for a 3rd or 4th with appropriate incentives, and let's be done with it and move on.

Report Spam   Logged
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:56:16 pm »

I agree: hire Grasso now.  Give him a chance to get commitments from recruits now.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »

Here is what I don't like about hiring Grasso now and it has nothing to do with him, it does nothing to get rid of Grank.

In fact it might make it easier for them to stay.  Proceeding with a search puts them on the spot and shines the spotlight on the awful job they have done.  There will be no top to bottom review of the athletic administration and nothing will change, nothing to help Grasso succeed.

I'd rather let Grasso get away and have a house cleaning than continue on with this dysfunctional set up.

As I said nothing against Grasso, he might even succeed against all odds but I'd rather give him or someone a clean slate

Now if you tell me Grasso gets the job and Grank is gone, I'll sign up for that now
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:41 pm »

Sorry.  I don't see any reason to hire him at this juncture.  His accomplishments so far are verbal commitments from "B" list athletes.  I've seen little in his game preparation, in game coaching or motivational abilities that tell me he is ready for this position.  Outside of Gaston, I'm not impressed with too many other players he had a hand in bringing to Fordham.  If it ends up that we lose a year of recruiting, I can accept that to get the right guy in here.  There is no other field where you would hand over the reigns of a dying business to an in-house interim candidate without thorough search.  I say do the search, see who else is interested and make the decision from there.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »

Wow, so many posters on this board are cheap dates.  Such a hasty decision to hire Grasso at this stage, with his light resume and the dismal performance of the team on the floor, would be a grave disservice to Ram Nation.  I'm not looking at this through the lens of the next year or two.  I'm resigned to the fact that under any scenario we're going to be an A-10 cellar dwellar for the next two years at least.  The real question is, where will be in five years? I can see nothing at this point to give me comfort that Grasso is the guy to resurrect the program.  The OOC losses are one thing.  The nature of the losses (particularly to KSU and Hampton) is revolting.  As far as I can see these losses are piling up with minutes played primarily by talent recruited by Grasso.  None of you Grasso boosters have offered an explanation of why we're getting crucified by very low level D-1 programs while playing guys recruited by JG.  If we have little or no A-10 talent on the team, then how is JG such an uber recruiter?  By all accounts, JG appears to be an enthusiastic coach and a genuinely good guy, but that alone does not earn him the permanent post.  While I appreciate the loyalty of all you JG shills, I ain't drinking the Kool-Aid yet.  As Flava-Flav said, "Don't Believe the Hype".
Report Spam   Logged
fordahmballer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 05:35:27 pm »

Fontan and Gaston were both all rookie players. He is very well connected in the world of recruiting and I wanna see what he can do if given the chance to recruit his own guys for a few years!! Give the young go-getter a shot! We have not gone in that direction in a long time!! We need a shake-up and I feel confident he will be able to recruit us better players than anyone else we can bring in!
Report Spam   Logged
b.mann
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:36:55 pm »

Although I do not feel the need to defend his recruits, I will. Fontan was on the All-Rookie team with Zach Wing and Luke Devine as his finishers inside and obviously had some talent based on the teams that lined up to take him when he left. Chris Gaston, a freshman, leads the league in scoring this year and is a stud. Lance Brown, also a freshman, will be more than a serviceable part to any future that Fordham has on the court. Estwick, a sophomore, has not panned out so far. Don't you think that SOME of the problem is a result of the previous regime? Do you really think that Fraschilla or Gillen or Wooden could step into the situation that JG finds himself in...right now...and make much of a difference...especially in their first year as head coaches? He will receive his baptism under fire, recruit like a maniac, install HIS own system with HIS own team next year, and take off. As the Black Eyed Peas say, "I Got a Feeling!" We've had enough  "BOOM!BOOM!POW!" GO RAMS! GO GRASSO!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

From what I know about the coaches(or lack thereof) that are expressing interest in the job, we may have no alternative but to hire Jared Grasso.  The attractiveness level of those who have inquired is underwhelming.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:59 pm »

Although I do not feel the need to defend his recruits, I will. Fontan was on the All-Rookie team with Zach Wing and Luke Devine as his finishers inside and obviously had some talent based on the teams that lined up to take him when he left. Chris Gaston, a freshman, leads the league in scoring this year and is a stud. Lance Brown, also a freshman, will be more than a serviceable part to any future that Fordham has on the court. Estwick, a sophomore, has not panned out so far. Don't you think that SOME of the problem is a result of the previous regime? Do you really think that Fraschilla or Gillen or Wooden could step into the situation that JG finds himself in...right now...and make much of a difference...especially in their first year as head coaches? He will receive his baptism under fire, recruit like a maniac, install HIS own system with HIS own team next year, and take off. As the Black Eyed Peas say, "I Got a Feeling!" We've had enough  "BOOM!BOOM!POW!" GO RAMS! GO GRASSO!

I think Lance Brown will surprise some people.  He's still shaking off the rust from missing a year and when he gets his legs back and is in stride, he'll be tough.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

Fontan and Gaston were both all rookie players. He is very well connected in the world of recruiting and I wanna see what he can do if given the chance to recruit his own guys for a few years!! Give the young go-getter a shot! We have not gone in that direction in a long time!! We need a shake-up and I feel confident he will be able to recruit us better players than anyone else we can bring in!

Fontan is no longer with us...  Why didn't want to stay and play for the coach he had such a tight relationship with?

Many, many young, up and coming coaches are go getters.  If they're not, they're in the wrong business...  and many of them are from winning programs....

Coach Grasso is getting his chance.  So far his recruits have talked about playing for him.  None of them has talked about coming to Fordham.  I have an issue with that.

The last three games constitute a shake up?  Sorry, I need to see more.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 05:54:09 pm »

Grasso is doing the job he was hired to do, which is recruiting kids to Fordham. He was hired for that job in the capacity of assistant coach, and he is doing it well. He is an excellent recruiting assistant.

The question presented is whether he is ready to assume the mantle of head coach, which also entails teaching the players, game preparation, and in-game coaching. To date, he has shown no proficiency at those things, but in fairness to him, he hasn't had much time to try and re-position his squad. In fairness to Fordham, the school owes it to itself and its stakeholders to see how the season plays out.

You cannot make the case for the hire based on his performance in the month (to the day) he's been head coach. There was a (probably unavoidable) 23-point blowout to a bad Bowling Green team, followed by a surprising, high-octane victory over Stony Brook of the America East. Since then, however a thorough loss to St. John's, a complete (and unavoidable) thrashing by Villanova, a huge disappointing fade to JMU (getting outscored by 20 in the second half -- ouch!), followed by two of the worst losses in Fordham history -- thrashings by lowly Kennesaw State and Hampton. With the exception of the 1st half against JMU, we've seen some of the sorriest play in Fordham history.  As bad as last season, when the team was even less talented (with 2 walkons often starting or getting major minutes).

And don't give me the "nobody could win with this team" stuff. The last two games were disgraceful losses.

What does hiring him now do? The verbal committments can't be formalized into LOIs until after the season ends. We may not even have the 'ships to make good on the verbals. And we have a whole A-10 season to play.

Grasso and the team are about to be dropped into the crucible. There is no way to avoid it. In 16 games from now, we will know a lot more about who Jared Grasso is, and who the "players" on our team are. We'll know who emerges bloody but unbowed, who rises to the challenge, and who folds under it. We'll learn a lot about grace under pressure, personal courage and character. We'll find out if Grasso brings home a cohesive squad that's shared a march through hell and bonded, or whether he delivers a bickering, exploding mess like we saw at the end of last year. I think we want to know those things before we make -- or formalize -- a coaching hire.

Coach Grasso, I'm pulling for you and your players. I don't envy you the job you face. You also owe something to the few but hardy fans of the Rams. Can you make us cheer, even if for a brave showing in the face of impossible odds?

Yeah, maybe it's the Kobiyashi Maru. But you've got to take the test if you want to take command, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 06:01:33 pm »

I'm in the process of checking, but it appears that there may not be enough exclamation points in the typographic inventory to sustain this topic at the present level of enthusiasm by some posters.

Be that as it may  . . .

I'm not ready to sign on at this time, for the following reasons:

- remember, we are not hiring a head recruiter, we are hiring a head coach.

- JG has not had an opportunity to show how he handles young men under his direction either off the court, or once the ball gets tossed up.

- remember that two of the chief gripes with DW were his game coaching and ability to develop talent. We have not had the opportunity to evaluate JG in that regard.

- someone referred to JG installing his "system." We don't know what that is. Wanting to run and play up tempo does not constitute the system.

- the grind of recruiting, putting on a positive spin for HS coaches and 17 year olds is rough, but I'm pretty sure it's different from the stress of game coaching over the course of what promises to be a very tough season. We can't evaluate JG on that yet.

Even with those points, I agree that the notion that we can't wait 'til Spring has merit, and that he may be the best alternative also has merit. I would feel better if I thought that the athletic administration was now diligently pursuing "the usual suspects" or that they had a line on other eager up-and-comers. But I see no reason to believe that.

I want to see what we do in a few A-10 games, maybe up to the St. Louis game, not whether we win, but how things look, how the team and JG handles this tough road they face.  Also to see if any more recruiting news comes through. Then we'll have a better picture.

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

At the very least we need to set a deadline to name our new coach and stick by it.  The dates Feb. 15 and March 1 jump out at me.  Take your pick.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 06:31:34 pm »

At the very least we need to set a deadline to name our new coach and stick by it.  The dates Feb. 15 and March 1 jump out at me.  Take your pick.

I agree we need a deadline.  Unfortunately, it is going to very tough to interview candidates currently employed before the end of the season.  I think March 15 isn't ideal but it is reasonable.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 06:35:58 pm »

John:  well stated, as usual.  I concur.

Rambacker: if you know of specific names who have expressed interest, drop them here...so we can evaluate them.

As for your deadlines....I do want to get on with it, but not before we are ready and we are certain of our choice.    There are ups and downs to keeping Grasso and ups and downs to looking for a gametime coach.

We have seen halfs that were pretty decent, followed by gaping holes and total collapses.    I can't explain the inconsistent play any better than anyone else.   

We do need a sports shrink.

Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 06:36:56 pm »

I agree that Jared Grasso should be hired.

What's the downside at this point if, as 85 suggests, the contract is properly structured? Grasso is putting together a very nice recruiting class and we'll avoid player defections (among those that we want to keep). Any other coach will be way behind in recruiting for next year (that is our immediate priority) and will almost certainly lose current players.

I did hear something that confirms Rambacker's suggestion that there are not a lot of qualified candidates interested in the job. I had previously posted that a friend of mine is an attorney/part-time sports agent who represents a Big East assistant who has been mentioned as a potential candidate (not a Fordham alum). My friend was initially promoting his client very hard (even to me). But a couple of weeks later he had made a complete reversal and said his client was not interested. When I asked him again today, he would only say that "Fordham is not the right job for him... besides he already makes more than what they will pay". That is not a positive sign when an assistant coach is not interested in your job.        
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:37 pm »

I agree. Our last game is on March 6th unless the impossible happens and we make the cut for the playoffs.  I think we must be ready to name our permanent coach at that time or shortly after, if we want to keep the recruits we have for the spring signing period.

I'm leaning towards Grasso, not so much because of what I have seen so far on the court (quite the contrary).  I'm leaning towards him because I think he can recruit, he can get us media attention, he is energetic and dedicated and not least of all is that I don't believe the BOT and administration want to enter into another major commitment with a seasoned coach until they see what Grasso can deliver next year. 

Give the guy a another year or two, a two year contract with options.  If he can't deliver, we haven't lost that much. 
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »

Nobody will be interested in the job because of Grank and our pathetic lack of leadership and direction from the BOT and McShane.     Our facilities are outdated.     Salary may be an issue, but in truth, I think its more than that.   And some think Grasso has the job lined up and its just a kibuke theatre show that Grank is running now until Grasso and DeSantis are named as permanent hires.       

Get rid of Grank the picture changes considerably.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 08:33:50 pm »

Nobody will be interested in the job because of Grank and our pathetic lack of leadership and direction from the BOT and McShane.     Our facilities are outdated.     Salary may be an issue, but in truth, I think its more than that.   And some think Grasso has the job lined up and its just a kibuke theatre show that Grank is running now until Grasso and DeSantis are named as permanent hires.       

Get rid of Grank the picture changes considerably.
I think Frank is just the front man for the problem, not the problem itself. The Administration and Board of Directors are really responsible for outdated facilities and lack of committment to BB. I'm sure we will get some interest for the job but doubt there will be anyone we would want to see as Head Coach. JG is less of an unknown. He may or may not be a game coach - we won't know until he has some players who can actually adjust in mid-game. It's like a boxer who is being out classed by a superior opponent. His corner may give him instructions that would turn the fight around but he just isn't able to implement. I'm hoping the Rams will be able to adjust mid-game by the end of the season but wouldn't bet on it.

I agree on giving him the job for 2 years with 2 a year option. We should know by then if he is getting the job done. If not, don't renew his 2nd 2 years. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »

I am against giving him the job now.  The last three losses were some of the worst I have seen against the very bottom of Div. I.  JG was the coach during those games, his recruits played most of the minutes.  Those are facts and cannot be ignored.  I do not believe we should allow these verbal commits to short circuit the plan of doing a search which should be under way.  Quite frankly the list of schools we beat out for these players was less than impressive, but lets give the benefit of the doubt and assume they are A-10 caliber players.  If after the search we find there is not a lot of interest or we do not like what else is out there we can hire JG after the season.  March 15 seems reasonable.  This will also test whether these verbals actually intend to sign a letter of intent or do they jump ship because we have not removed the interim tag fast enough for their liking.     
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »

What's the downside at this point if, as 85 suggests, the contract is properly structured? Grasso is putting together a very nice recruiting class and we'll avoid player defections (among those that we want to keep). Any other coach will be way behind in recruiting for next year (that is our immediate priority) and will almost certainly lose current players.

I did hear something that confirms Rambacker's suggestion that there are not a lot of qualified candidates interested in the job.       

The downside is that we shouldn't be hiring a coach that cannot fulfill the job description and right now, we have no idea if he can.  We think he can recruit but his recruits haven't played very well for him thus far.  How is he as a game coach?  The best he would get is an "incomplete".  Not a good enough reason to make him the full-time coach.  How is he as a motivator?  Again, the best he can get is an "incomplete".

As far as the candidate pool, I think because the season had already begun, the search is hamstrung.  Fordham can't reach out to candidates under contract without permission.  You may get permission to talk to an assistant, but probably not a head coach.

Hopefully, Frank has contacted many of the usual suspects and has a short list.  As soon as the season is over let's hope he's on the phone to good candidates presently under contract.  There's no reason we can't have a solid pool of candidates to choose from and get a coach in the same March window every other school works with.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram69
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:46 pm »

I want to know what his views of Grank are first.    I know that will be almost impossible to find out, at least in truth.    He may give us spin and a buttkissing response.    But I really want to know.  Because anybody worth hiring has to know that GRANK is the problem here and has been for over 20 years.

I agree with you that Grank has been the problem here for over 20 years, but thereís no way that Jared Grasso is going to come out with his true views on that problem.  For all we know, Grey and McLaughlin may have the final word in the head-coaching decision (God help us!).

Grasso isnít going to bad-mouth two men who might be his current evaluators/future bosses.  Knowing how many anti-Grank alums there are, I wouldnít expect him to go overboard kissing Grankís butt eitherósomething that could damage his credibility with the alumni in the future.

If anyone asks Grasso his views on Grank, Iím sure heíll gracefully duck the question.  And thatís exactly what he should do.  But, it seems pretty obvious to me, nonetheless, how a young, innovative, high-energy guy like Grasso would feel about  a wanna-be like Grey and a has-been like Frank.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: