fordhamfans.com
August 22, 2017, 07:10:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Recruiting Update

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 559   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting Update  (Read 897364 times)
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:26 am »

Fordham has offered PG Davonta White of Centennial HS in Roswell, GA.  He is 6' and Class of 2010.  The reports on him are that he is very fast, a good passer and is a potential high major player.  He has also been offered by Virginia Tech and Georgia State.

We are also involved with 6' 7 Wayne Newsom of Piscataway, NJ HS.  He's Class of 2010.  Newson is also being recruited by LaSalle, Temple, Robert Morris, Iona and Niagara.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:13:21 pm »

6' 4" Sherrod Wright from Mt. Vernon HS in New York recently said South Carolina and Oklahoma State are his top schools at this point.  He is being recruited by Fordham and Coach Whitt has attended several of his games.

Speaking of Mt. Vernon HS, the athletic teams there almost were not able to compete this season due to budget problems in that city, but Fordham's own Denzel Washington stepped up and donated $100,000 to help keep the program running.  Denzel is a native of Mt. Vernon and said recently that without his participation in the youth sports program in Mt. Vernon, he would not be where he is today.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »

Sherrod Wright and Mount Vernon will be on SNY tonight at 8 pm playing against St. Raymond's. Can't wait to see Wright.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:27:34 pm »

He is a very good player.  Explosive, in a word.  If we get him, it will get real interesting at Rose Hill in short order with the other players we have coming in.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:38:40 pm »

So far Wright and his Mount Vernon teammates are giving St. Ray's a whupping, ahead 27-8 in the second quarter. Wright has about 10 points. He scored 32 in the opening round last night at NYU. I'd love Fordham to get him but, RB, don't you think he's headed for higher programs?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

So far Wright and his Mount Vernon teammates are giving St. Ray's a whupping, ahead 27-8 in the second quarter. Wright has about 10 points. He scored 32 in the opening round last night at NYU. I'd love Fordham to get him but, RB, don't you think he's headed for higher programs?

Not sure yet.  We should know fairly soon.  He is seriously considering Fordham.  Stay tuned.....
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:20 pm »

Sherrod Wright's situation reminds me of Melquain Bolding last year.  He's a great player, and he's gotten some well deserved high-major offers, but I think his decision to wait this long could really cost him with the big-time programs.    I get the sense he was a second option for a number of schools who wound up getting the main SG they targeted---I know he really liked 'Nova before they got Cheek.  I can't say I'm fully aware of the scholarship situations at South Carolina and Oklahoma State, but SC just got a commitment from an '09 wing last week and Okie State already has 7 kids signed/committed for '09.  He might just end up at whatever school still has a scholarship remaining 2-3 months from now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:49:03 pm by Stringer Bell » Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 10:43:01 pm »

Joel Wright and Lance Brown were at our game today.
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:22:57 am »

Oh, great...
Report Spam   Logged
West Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 10:03:52 am »

Joel Wright and Lance Brown were at our game today.
Joel Wright?Huh?? Do you mean Sherrod Wright?
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:15 am »

I hope you meant Sherrod Wright from Mount Vernon.
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

Joel (rhymes with Noel) Wright---no relation to Sherrod---is a junior small forward from Thomas Jefferson in Brooklyn.  He was mentioned on the other board a few times just before it went down.  He was born in Jamaica and is old for his grade, so he has to prep next year but he'd be a great player if we could get him.  He's only 6'6 but he's a remarkable rebounder and a freak athlete.  Hopefully we can get Sherrod too.. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:25 pm »

Joel Wright is the kid whose nickname is "Air Jamaica"?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »

Joel Wright is the kid whose nickname is "Air Jamaica"?

Yea, that's him. 
Report Spam   Logged
fordahmballer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »

Joel "Air jamaica" Wright is supposed to be the best forward in NYC regardless of class, and has scholarship offers from several Big east schools. He had 55 pts and 30 rbds in a game earlier this year. From waht I have been told he would be an all-league player and difference maker if we can sign him. Would be HUGE if Grasso and DW can get this one done!!
Report Spam   Logged
West Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »

Joel (rhymes with Noel) Wright---no relation to Sherrod---is a junior small forward from Thomas Jefferson in Brooklyn.  He was mentioned on the other board a few times just before it went down.  He was born in Jamaica and is old for his grade, so he has to prep next year but he'd be a great player if we could get him.  He's only 6'6 but he's a remarkable rebounder and a freak athlete.  Hopefully we can get Sherrod too.. 

Joel "Air jamaica" Wright is supposed to be the best forward in NYC regardless of class, and has scholarship offers from several Big east schools. He had 55 pts and 30 rbds in a game earlier this year. From waht I have been told he would be an all-league player and difference maker if we can sign him. Would be HUGE if Grasso and DW can get this one done!!
Holy Toledo! Thanks for clarifying the right Wright.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 04:33:10 pm »

Sounds like we could use the right Wright right now.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:54 am »

A recent blurb from Zagsblog on Sherrod Wright:

Wright is an uncommitted senior who plans to sign during the late period in April. Cimmino previously said South Carolina, which Wright has already visited, and Oklahoma State were the "leaders" for Wright's services, but Wright still has to decide whether to leave the area or stay close to home. Fordham, Manhattan and Hofstra are also involved.

"I haven't pinpointed anything," Wright said. "There's new colleges coming in. I'm trying to make sure the process is right for me."
Report Spam   Logged
Piche
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »

Holy Toledo! Thanks for clarifying the right Wright.

Roger, Roger.
With them FU would set a new vector, Victor.
Report Spam   Logged
A. Ram Phan
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:22 pm »

A blurb in today's NY Daily News (Brooklyn Sports insert written by Ian Begley - sorry, couldn't find it online) states the following:

Jefferson's Wright was scheduled to visit Fordham on Sunday, and Jefferson's high-energy, 6-6 power forward said that the Rams are "absolutely leading" the pack among his suitors.

"They're doing their job; they've been there since day one," said Wright, adding that Fordham assistant Jared Grasso visited him at practice last Wednesday. Wright said that West Virginia, St. John's and Providence have also shown interest. Earlier in his recruiting process, Wright said that attending a school far from the Big Apple was a priority, but now "it doesn't really matter."

Way to go Jared....keep up the full court press!
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:01 pm »

Great news.  We need Joel, Derrick Williams, a 6'10 defensive presence and a sharpshooter in 2010 to help fix this ****ing mess.  We also need to clear out some of the dead weight on our current roster for that to happen...
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 03:19:24 pm »

Great news.  We need Joel, Derrick Williams, a 6'10 defensive presence and a sharpshooter in 2010 to help fix this ****ing mess.  We also need to clear out some of the dead weight on our current roster for that to happen...

Ha, that's everything but a PG.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »

In 2010, we will have a PG, Jio, who will compliment that wish list very well.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:05 pm »

But if Jio ever goes down with an injury, we need another PG.  We don't have one right now.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:35:42 pm »

I wasn't excluding us getting another PG by 2010.  I'd expect we would get at least one more by then.  Either way, I look forward to seeing the 2010 team with Jio as the primary PG.
Report Spam   Logged
Goupil 1st
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »

Joel "Air jamaica" Wright is supposed to be the best forward in NYC regardless of class, and has scholarship offers from several Big east schools. He had 55 pts and 30 rbds in a game earlier this year.

Geez... that sounds like a line for our Rams this year.
Report Spam   Logged
Stringer Bell
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »

Geez... that sounds like a line for our Rams this year.

Joel Wright had 55 points in that one game.  Our 2nd, 4th and 5th leading big men (in terms of minutes played) have combined for 1 more point than that all season.  I know there's a huge difference in their level of competition, but it's still a very telling stat.
Report Spam   Logged
fordahmballer
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »

I have been told Joel Wright is arguably the best junior in New York City, and he would be a big-time time steal for us!! He has several big east offers so its not like he is under the radar right now 
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:09 am »

daily news reports that joel wright gave a verbal commitment  to fordham
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 10:21:53 am »

can someone confirm that?