fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 11:43:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 ... 554   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting Update  (Read 886679 times)
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15930 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:50 am »

Angus could be the beef we need.  Roll Eyes

2 transfers would really help. if we got him and Seth Berger. We could have an Angus/Berger front court.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: April 18, 2017, 09:51:24 am »

http://deadspin.com/illinois-state-football-recruit-kobe-buffalomeat-is-ind-1791919511

So we add this guy and have a front court of Angus/Berger/Buffalomeat.

Need to balance it with some carbs or fruit.
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:16 am »

So I'm going to take a stab at where I see these 4 spots going.  I would be looking to fill the four spots with a lights out shooter, Juco/Grad Transfer immediate impact, a rebounder, and combo guard.

Based on seeing who we have been mentioned with, my realistic guess four those 4 spots would be:

Shooter :
1) Ryan Fazekas - 6'8 Soph Transfer out of Providence; He confirmed a visit to Fordham on his own twitter account as well as Valpo and Vanderbilt

Juco/Grad Transfer :
1) Dinero Mercurius - 6'3 JUCO/ South Florida Product; multiple twitter accounts reporting visits to FGCU, Murray State, and Fordham; could be in shooter category as well; averaged 18pg and shot 38% from 3pt at Daytona State

Rebounder :
1) Myles Johnson - 6'10 out of Long Beach Ploy HS; confirmed visit on this board to Fordham a month ago; offers from Colgate, Lehigh, Yale, UC Santa Barbara, CS Northridge
2) Luis Santos - 6'9 Soph Transfer out of South Florida; confirmed reports he visited us and planned to visit St Louis; originally from Bronx

Combo Guard :
1) Devante Jones - 6'0 out of Notre Dame Prep; verbal commits offers from Texas State, Hofstra, and Quinnipiac
"D.J.” is a pure bucket getter. He excels at getting to the rim and is an outstanding lay-up maker and finisher. While his game is more consistent with that of a wing, his size is that of a point guard, and so you can typically slot him at a variety of different spots in the line-up. Regardless of position, this guy can flat out score in bunches"
2) David Collins - 6'3 out of First Love Academy; recruiting has picked up for him and I have seen little mention of Fordham in the past month, don't think we are on his radar anymore

Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: April 18, 2017, 11:11:09 am »

So I'm going to take a stab at where I see these 4 spots going.  I would be looking to fill the four spots with a lights out shooter, Juco/Grad Transfer immediate impact, a rebounder, and combo guard.

Based on seeing who we have been mentioned with, my realistic guess four those 4 spots would be:

Shooter :
1) Ryan Fazekas - 6'8 Soph Transfer out of Providence; He confirmed a visit to Fordham on his own twitter account as well as Valpo and Vanderbilt

Juco/Grad Transfer :
1) Dinero Mercurius - 6'3 JUCO/ South Florida Product; multiple twitter accounts reporting visits to FGCU, Murray State, and Fordham; could be in shooter category as well; averaged 18pg and shot 38% from 3pt at Daytona State

Rebounder :
1) Myles Johnson - 6'10 out of Long Beach Ploy HS; confirmed visit on this board to Fordham a month ago; offers from Colgate, Lehigh, Yale, UC Santa Barbara, CS Northridge
2) Luis Santos - 6'9 Soph Transfer out of South Florida; confirmed reports he visited us and planned to visit St Louis; originally from Bronx

Combo Guard :
1) Devante Jones - 6'0 out of Notre Dame Prep; verbal commits offers from Texas State, Hofstra, and Quinnipiac
"D.J.” is a pure bucket getter. He excels at getting to the rim and is an outstanding lay-up maker and finisher. While his game is more consistent with that of a wing, his size is that of a point guard, and so you can typically slot him at a variety of different spots in the line-up. Regardless of position, this guy can flat out score in bunches"
2) David Collins - 6'3 out of First Love Academy; recruiting has picked up for him and I have seen little mention of Fordham in the past month, don't think we are on his radar anymore

nice work. Fazekas to Valpo, Mercurius to Dunk City, Johnson to UCSB, Jones to Hofstra, Collins to South Florida. Then what?
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: April 18, 2017, 11:13:43 am »

nice work. Fazekas to Valpo, Mercurius to Dunk City, Johnson to UCSB, Jones to Hofstra, Collins to South Florida. Then what?
Then people will say its not the facilities and wonder what it could be  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: April 18, 2017, 11:27:52 am »

Then people will say its not the facilities and wonder what it could be  Roll Eyes

+1,000,000
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:41 am »

Facilities are our biggest issue, without a single doubt. Anybody who thinks otherwise is grossly mistaken.

I do understand those who do not want it brought up in what seems to be every thread though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: April 18, 2017, 11:37:24 am »

This is a recruiting update thread. But as usual, someone must infuse the facilities argument which isnt even being made.

Not to mention, a kid from Indiana goes to Providence...then transfers back home to Indiana...but Im sure he told cbwhatever that his decision was based on the facilities........maybe hear what the player  has to say first.........
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:47 am »

This is a recruiting update thread. But as usual, someone must infuse the facilities argument which isnt even being made.

Not to mention, a kid from Indiana goes to Providence...then transfers back home to Indiana...but Im sure he told cbwhatever that his decision was based on the facilities........maybe hear what the player  has to say first.........
+1 We are in the signing window. Lets keep it to recruiting until it is over. Then we can trash facilities.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:49 pm »

Drunkie... we are getting close to "drink the Kool-Aid my children" if we think that is a competitive lineup!

-It would take Hicks to far exceed expectation (possible)
-Ohams to continue to breakout (Probable... just how much?)
-Slania to cure his foul problem, get stronger (possible... I think he will)
-Taveres to turn into a new player (doubtful)

If we pull an inside straight on all four, we might compete.    Odds on pulling that straight?

(game show music.... ding)

Exactly, that's the right answer. I'm not counting on it either.

I'm worried as hell.

If I'm JN, I'm trying to figure out my best exit plan.   

I'm not drinking kool-aid.  I'm just listing the players we have as of now, basically.  That's pretty much the team.  I could have thrown in Sanchez and Petty but threw in Saglam because he's 6'6".

Squinting really hard, like I said, 8 of those guys have played double digit minutes during A-10 win streaks.  Mostly as role players, of course.  Slanina averaged 8 and 4 in conference, 15/7.5 per 40.   Havsa averaged 8 ppg in his last 5 games as a 4th or 5th option.  His eFG% was .565, second best on the team.

In fact, Bunting, Havsa and Slanina had the top 3 eFG% on the team (.570, .565, .537).  Chartouny was 5th.  Bunting obviously didn't take many shots.  But Slanina and Havsa can take bigger parts next year.  Ohams, Bunting and Slanina were the top 3 rebounders.  Chartouny, Ohams and Havsa led the team in steal % (the latter 2 tied with Anderson).  Pekarek averaged 9 ppg as a starter at the tail end of 2016 season as a 5th option.  He was awful this past year, but maybe part of that was the injury.  He's a back-up, but even in a 10 game stretch in 2016 he averaged 10 ppg shooting 33% from 3 in the A-10 during a 5-5 run.  No great shakes but there you go, he was starting on a team winning A-10 games.

If Hicks is good, then I see O having to come from Chartouny (he was up to .382 from 3 this year), Hicks, Slanina and Havsa.  Inside banging from Havsa and Slanina.  A major issue would be only Bunting as interior depth.  Although that worked some in some A-10 wins this year as we lost guys to injury and fouls.

All of these guys have played major parts in wins.  They will need to take steps forward, and it is major wish-casting to expect everything to fall exactly in place.  We need more players.  Right now we don't know who those guys are or if they'll help.  It sure looks like a lower division team.  But Fordham beat their A-10 media and coaches poll rank handily in 2016 and actually beat it again this year.      

I hope we get all the immediate contributors Peter says we need.  We likely do need them.  But just looking at what we have, we have guys who have played in A-10 wins, not basement level teams.  But they'll have to up their games as their usage level will need to go way up absent some major newcomers.  Who knows?  We didn't see much of Ohams, Slanina or havsa until A-10 play, out of necessity.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: April 18, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »

I hope we get all the immediate contributors Peter says we need.  We likely do need them.  But just looking at what we have, we have guys who have played in A-10 wins, not basement level teams.  But they'll have to up their games as their usage level will need to go way up absent some major newcomers.  Who knows?  We didn't see much of Ohams, Slanina or havsa until A-10 play, out of necessity.

New Slogan: Add Four to avoid being in the 'Last Four'

Need:
1. Scorer.
2. Banger.
3. Scorer.
4. Banger.

In that order.

The good news is you don't need either banger to give you much offensively. Add two physical bodies to Chuba and Bunting and I'm fine with the interior defense. Will also allow you to throw some crazy zone s*** and not worry about having Sanchez/Petty enter a game. The replacement for CS should be quicker, and the replacement for Hawkins should be bigger.

Assuming Hicks is some shade of 'Good' he's likely the second scoring option behind JC. Recruit #1 is likely a freshman who can get shots up, eating into AA's offensive production. I like Havsa offensively, but I don't want to rely on him for anything beyond depth. That is what it means to have a competitive lineup.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: April 18, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »

Does Ryan Munson have any more eligibilty? Evil
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:45 pm »

247 doesn't even have Fordham as offering Collins.  Verbal Commits has him on our target chart. The only one of the guys that Verbal Commits has us as targeting that 247 says even has a Fordham offer is Kante.  Najja Hunter (out of St. Benedict's in Newark) was on that chart but he committed to Rice last week.

Myles Johnson, 247 lists 2 schools.  Stanford (no offer), and Lehigh.  Tim Kempton replacement!  But 247 lists him at 6'6".  So does ESPN. Verbal Commits says 6'9".  Scout says 6'10".  Growth spurt, but these sites aren't the most reliable.

BTW, Papa N'Diaye averaged 3.8 minutes per game at Walters State juco this past year.  
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: April 18, 2017, 05:02:13 pm »

Ryan Fazekas down to #Valparaiso and Fordham, per a source. @michaelosipoff
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: April 18, 2017, 05:26:03 pm »

247 doesn't even have Fordham as offering Collins.  Verbal Commits has him on our target chart. The only one of the guys that Verbal Commits has us as targeting that 247 says even has a Fordham offer is Kante.  Najja Hunter (out of St. Benedict's in Newark) was on that chart but he committed to Rice last week.

Myles Johnson, 247 lists 2 schools.  Stanford (no offer), and Lehigh.  Tim Kempton replacement!  But 247 lists him at 6'6".  So does ESPN. Verbal Commits says 6'9".  Scout says 6'10".  Growth spurt, but these sites aren't the most reliable.

BTW, Papa N'Diaye averaged 3.8 minutes per game at Walters State juco this past year.  

I think verbal commits is far more reliable than 247. Myles Johnson has several offers, including Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15945 on: April 18, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »

Ryan Fazekas down to #Valparaiso and Fordham, per a source. @michaelosipoff
Hopefully he will select the excitement on NYC over the winters in Indiana.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: April 18, 2017, 05:31:13 pm »

Hopefully he will select the excitement on NYC over the winters in Indiana.

Yes, please.  Last year, I stayed in the same hotel as the Valpo team before they went out and destroyed UW-Milwaukee.  Those were some big, tall guys. I don't think we'd have liked to play them.
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: April 18, 2017, 05:35:21 pm »

Yes, please.  Last year, I stayed in the same hotel as the Valpo team before they went out and destroyed UW-Milwaukee.  Those were some big, tall guys. I don't think we'd have liked to play them.

Valpo consistently has good teams; play a decent enough schedule. The selling point for them is their potential move to the Missouri Valley. With the loss of Wichita sate, rumored that Valpo and either Belmont/Murray State will go - it's not the same conference, but their are some good teams still there. Certainly an upgrade from the Horizon league for Valpo
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: April 19, 2017, 09:44:31 am »

I have a difficult time believing Bryce Drew won't get Fazekas the second time around. Stranger things have happened.
Report Spam   Logged

joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: April 19, 2017, 09:45:39 am »

Zagoria reports that David Collins will take an official visit to Akron this weekend
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: April 19, 2017, 10:15:24 am »

Zagoria reports that David Collins will take an official visit to Akron this weekend

Doesn't even sound like it's worth talking about him anymore.  Upsetting he looks good.
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: April 19, 2017, 10:26:21 am »

I have a difficult time believing Bryce Drew won't get Fazekas the second time around. Stranger things have happened.

Supposedly Bryce Drew and Vanderbilt are out of the equation and he's down to Fordham and Valpo.  Maybe Drew is expecting a commitment from Matt Ryan or Mark Donnal who all seem to be stretch 4's who can shoot the three.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:39 am »

Bryce Drew is now at Vanderbilt and they are apparently not in the mix anymore. Comes down to Fordham and Valpo with 2nd year coach Matt Lottich.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »

Obviously would take Fazekas in a millisecond but a reminder that he would have to sit out next year so doesn't help us in the short term
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: April 19, 2017, 12:57:40 pm »

Doesn't even sound like it's worth talking about him anymore.  Upsetting he looks good.

Agreed. He looks like a nasty mid-major scorer.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »

I don't know if our MBB coaches have made a full tour of our campus, but somebody should tell David Collins. ...

"The day you sign, we'll name a building after you!  It will be set in stone before you arrive.  Young man, how do you like the sound of Collins Hall?"
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:17 pm »

Two of our targets receving offers:

Verbal Commits‏ @VerbalCommits  36m36 minutes ago
More
 2017 Notre Dame Prep (MA) G Devante Jones received an offer from Coastal Carolina. (HT @PatLawless_) @DevanteJones03 http://verbalcommits.com/players/devante-jones-la …

2017 Mount Zion Prep (MD) F Obadiah Toppin has received an offer from Dayton. (HT @JKimElevate) @otoppin1 http://verbalcommits.com/players/obadiah-toppin …
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply    Retweet   
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:33 pm »

I don't know if our MBB coaches have made a full tour of our campus, but somebody should tell David Collins. ...

"The day you sign, we'll name a building after you!  It will be set in stone before you arrive.  Young man, how do you like the sound of Collins Hall?"

It's a wonder we never hired Kerry Keating to coach the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: April 19, 2017, 04:02:45 pm »

It's a wonder we never hired Kerry Keating to coach the team.

Or Maine's Bob Walsh...
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: April 19, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »

You can book Deishaun Booker, Long Beach State. (VerbalCommits) - cross him off.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 ... 554   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: