fordhamfans.com
November 22, 2017, 07:10:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 ... 547 548 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 556 557 ... 566   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting Update  (Read 909830 times)
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16530 on: May 22, 2017, 06:12:55 pm »

I hope JN and staff are not pitching that to recruits.  We need to develop players.  The guys who have/will leave, Severe, CS, Zarko, JC, are all Pecora recruits so that pitch may have already been made by the time JN got here.

I was not aware Zarko had  or will leave. When was that announced?

Hardnett and Smith were Neubauer recruits and they left.

GO RAMS.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »

GO RAMS.

Zarko and Joe Chartouny will both return next season. Our returning backcourt looks strong with JC, Havsa, Perris, Tre, Tavares and Zarko. Havsa came in at 155 lbs. and is now at 175 lbs.

We need an athletic wing scorer and a power big.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:56:11 am by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:04 am »

Tomorrow is the last day for players to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to their schools. I am hoping we grab a grad transfer as a result of that resolving some of the uncertainty at the high major level and the schollies those schools have available.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:35 am »

GO RAMS.

I think you are missing the point. hardnett and Smith stated their reasons for leaving. The players mentioned by RB all have either graduated in 3 years or are on target for same.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: May 23, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »

Tomorrow is the last day for players to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to their schools. I am hoping we grab a grad transfer as a result of that resolving some of the uncertainty at the high major level and the schollies those schools have available.

Do we know if there are any grad transfers left that would make an impact on our program and that were considering Fordham?
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: May 23, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »

Do we know if there are any grad transfers left that would make an impact on our program and that were considering Fordham?

Not that I can see...
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:23 pm »

Brandon Alston was offered and considering. That may have changed based on Evans but Alston still hasn't decided or at least hasnt announced his decision. Of the 600 plus transfers almost half are still undecided as per Evan Daniels
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:52 pm »

Of the 600 plus transfers almost half are still undecided as per Evan Daniels

Well, actually, of the 623 transfers, only 239 are immediately eligible, and of those only 27 are uncommitted. So if we're looking for immediate domestic help, those 27 are who we have left to choose from...
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:30 pm »

Brandon Alston was offered and considering. That may have changed based on Evans but Alston still hasn't decided or at least hasnt announced his decision. Of the 600 plus transfers almost half are still undecided as per Evan Daniels

The NBA draft, who stays in, pulls out, will start some dominoes falling as far as transfers.  That deadline is tomorrow.

I like Alston.  He got a little better as season went on, made his 2s and 3s at a decent clip in conference.  He'd have been up for a bigger part at Lehigh.  And not sure how he translates to A-10. Of course he has offers from major conference schools so he's wanted at least.    
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: May 23, 2017, 03:20:59 pm »

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/867073470898810880

Lehigh grad transfer Brandon Alston told ESPN he will visit UMass on June 1 and Georgia Tech on June 6.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: May 29, 2017, 10:32:24 pm »

Davide Moretti is headed to the USA to take official visits to Indiana, Utah, Texas Tech and UConn.  Looks like we're not on his list.   

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1781234-italian-pg-davide-moretti-take-4-officials
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:59 pm »

Questo non e bono. Peccato!
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: May 29, 2017, 10:45:29 pm »

This year, it's been the Kiss of Death for a potential recruit having his name mentioned on this Board. 
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: May 30, 2017, 08:10:53 am »

Braziller's evaluation/grading of the Spring recruiting period. We get the lowest grade among the eight local schools.

Fordham

The Rams were hit hard by the transfer market, losing lead guard Antwoine Anderson (UConn) and Christian Sengfelder (Boise State), but they’re confident they found able replacements in high-scoring JUCO guard Tre Evans and St. Peter’s transfer guard Antwon Portley. Portley, however, will not be eligible this year, and Fordham is still expecting to add two pieces to round out the weakened roster. Grade: C+

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/seton-hall-improved-its-chances-most-and-this-team-did-the-least/
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:17 am »

This year, it's been the Kiss of Death for a potential recruit having his name mentioned on this Board. 

You may be right but how much of this is due to the fact that names were just thrown out even if there was no interest in Fordham to begin with.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16545 on: May 30, 2017, 10:23:47 am »

Braziller's evaluation/grading of the Spring recruiting period. We get the lowest grade among the eight local schools.

Fordham

The Rams were hit hard by the transfer market, losing lead guard Antwoine Anderson (UConn) and Christian Sengfelder (Boise State), but they’re confident they found able replacements in high-scoring JUCO guard Tre Evans and St. Peter’s transfer guard Antwon Portley. Portley, however, will not be eligible this year, and Fordham is still expecting to add two pieces to round out the weakened roster. Grade: C+

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/seton-hall-improved-its-chances-most-and-this-team-did-the-least/
Mr. Braziller is not a fan of Fordham.  Having said that, I still am disappointed with Fordham's recruiting to date.  Increased budget with little results.  My grade would be "incomplete" and still hopeful but time is fleeting.... when will there be some real positive "news" ?
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16546 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:10 am »

Methinks Braziller is being kind. We're looking for replacements for a 6-1 guard and a bulky 6-7 forward, and while Evans might be a suitable replacement for Anderson, a skinny 6-4 guard who won't be eligible until 2018-19 is hardly a replacement for Sengfelder.  As of now, friends, we're hurting on the recruiting front. Time to start focusing on the U-19 tournaments being held in Europe this summer, I suspect.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16547 on: May 30, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »

agreed, this roster needs some horses or we will be Mr. Ed running against thoroughbreds. 

If you look at the roster changes that someone keeps diligently updating in another thread (Thanks), we have the least activity of every school and even schools like Duquesne, St. Louis and LaSalle are making some major moves as well as the rest of the A-10.  I like JN as a coach but I am hopeful he can be equally string as a recruiter or at least assemble a team that can recruit.  I am guessing or options are getting limited to kids from overseas. 
fingers crossed
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16548 on: May 31, 2017, 08:43:07 am »

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/5/8/15588826/byu-basketball-recruiting-cougars-land-2017-point-guard-jahshire-hardnett
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16549 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:22 am »

Jake Fay is officially and immediately available!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16550 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:35 am »

From the story, here's all you need to know about our place in the college basketball world (in case you didn't know we're D1):

"An ESPN 3-star recruit out of high school, Hardnett had offers from UConn, Clemson, Ole Miss, Penn State, among many others. He ultimately committed to Fordham, a Division 1 school, after some of the recruiting buzz wore off his senior year with eligibility issues."
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16551 on: May 31, 2017, 09:20:24 am »

From the story, here's all you need to know about our place in the college basketball world (in case you didn't know we're D1):

"An ESPN 3-star recruit out of high school, Hardnett had offers from UConn, Clemson, Ole Miss, Penn State, among many others. He ultimately committed to Fordham, a Division 1 school, after some of the recruiting buzz wore off his senior year with eligibility issues."
This article reads like it was written by a 7th grader.  The reporter is enamored by Hardnett's ability to dunk with ease even though there's not one dunk in his highlight film.  You're not wrong about our standing in college hoops, but the author's lack of knowledge of Fordham isn't terribly alarming.  He doesn't seem to know much about basketball period.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16552 on: June 07, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »

Are we in an official Fordham University "quiet period"?  Or is this topic link broken?

I feel so down about the lack of announcements that I take it as a good omen.  It's irrational, I'll admit it.

Keep repeating... 'It's always darkest before the dawn, It's always darkest before the dawn, It's always...."

The biggest problem with these late signed international players of ours is that the fans don't have enough time in the off-season to learn how to pronounce their damn names!
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16553 on: June 07, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »

Are we in an official Fordham University "quiet period"?  Or is this topic link broken?

I feel so down about the lack of announcements that I take it as a good omen.  It's irrational, I'll admit it.

Keep repeating... 'It's always darkest before the dawn, It's always darkest before the dawn, It's always...."

The biggest problem with these late signed international players of ours is that the fans don't have enough time in the off-season to learn how to pronounce their damn names!

I'm a glass 3/4 full optimist.  Was very disappointed when Anderson and Sengfelder left.  But hear's the pollyanna's take:

Fordham had that 3 game win streak late.  At that time there were 8 scholarship guys for 1 game (Rhodey) and 7 for the next 2 (Chartouny went down).  And that 7-8 scholarship squad almost went 5-2 down the stretch, losing heart breakers to GW and Richmond, with 2 freshmen playing major minutes (and well).  Slanina, Pekarek, and Zarko all down, Chartouny down for 2 of the wins, and Hicks never played.  Yes, I know there's sentiment for looking at Pekarek and Zarko as addition by subtraction, but they were at least depth, had played significant minutes (Pekarek starting) during win streaks the year before, and by the end we were exhausted and could have at least used extra bodies.

So, look at it as Hawkins, Anderson and Sengfelder leaving from that year-end team.  In come Slanina, Evans, Hicks, Pekarek and Zarko.  Perhaps not an even tradeoff.  But Slanina played major minutes in big wins. 10 and 8 against Davidson, 13 and 7 against UMAss, 15 and 5 with 2 blocks against St. Joe's.  Sure, we had him, but we managed to play fairly well even when he was gone.

Pekarek and Zarko, like I said, they played ok for a winning team in 2015-16.

Hicks and Evans we don't know, but they could be quite good.

Havsa and Ohams are now experienced sophomores.

So now we have 10 scholarship guys instead of the 7 we won some games with during that winning streak last year.  We won the Saint Louis and Duquesne games without Chartouny or Slanina (or Pekarek or Zarko, much less Evans or Hicks). 

I think we have the talent to compete.  We need more.  There are always injuries.  I actually think Saglam will be a good one, too, eventually.

Havsa wasn't announced until late last year, August.  So I hold out hope for more.  But we have 8 guys coming back who have played 15-20 minutes per game or more in winning stretches the last couple of years.  Sure, most as role players, but there's always turnover.  Young guys have to step up. 

So hopefully Ali Ton has another hidden Turk, but even so I think there's a chance with the guys we have to be good.   

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16554 on: June 07, 2017, 01:27:13 pm »

I'm a glass 3/4 full optimist.  Was very disappointed when Anderson and Sengfelder left.  But hear's the pollyanna's take:

Fordham had that 3 game win streak late.  At that time there were 8 scholarship guys for 1 game (Rhodey) and 7 for the next 2 (Chartouny went down).  And that 7-8 scholarship squad almost went 5-2 down the stretch, losing heart breakers to GW and Richmond, with 2 freshmen playing major minutes (and well).  Slanina, Pekarek, and Zarko all down, Chartouny down for 2 of the wins, and Hicks never played.  Yes, I know there's sentiment for looking at Pekarek and Zarko as addition by subtraction, but they were at least depth, had played significant minutes (Pekarek starting) during win streaks the year before, and by the end we were exhausted and could have at least used extra bodies.

So, look at it as Hawkins, Anderson and Sengfelder leaving from that year-end team.  In come Slanina, Evans, Hicks, Pekarek and Zarko.  Perhaps not an even tradeoff.  But Slanina played major minutes in big wins. 10 and 8 against Davidson, 13 and 7 against UMAss, 15 and 5 with 2 blocks against St. Joe's.  Sure, we had him, but we managed to play fairly well even when he was gone.

Pekarek and Zarko, like I said, they played ok for a winning team in 2015-16.

Hicks and Evans we don't know, but they could be quite good.

Havsa and Ohams are now experienced sophomores.

So now we have 10 scholarship guys instead of the 7 we won some games with during that winning streak last year.  We won the Saint Louis and Duquesne games without Chartouny or Slanina (or Pekarek or Zarko, much less Evans or Hicks). 

I think we have the talent to compete.  We need more.  There are always injuries.  I actually think Saglam will be a good one, too, eventually.

Havsa wasn't announced until late last year, August.  So I hold out hope for more.  But we have 8 guys coming back who have played 15-20 minutes per game or more in winning stretches the last couple of years.  Sure, most as role players, but there's always turnover.  Young guys have to step up. 

So hopefully Ali Ton has another hidden Turk, but even so I think there's a chance with the guys we have to be good.   

I'm a hopeful optimist also.  But it is not only your well described pieces coming through, it also counts on our rivals not making significant upgrades over last season.

I'm less concerned about gains at VCU, Dayton, URI..... it's the things SLU, SJU, SBU and GW are doing.  Their offseason changes are my biggest concern in the A10.

It's out of my hands though.... wait and hope.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16555 on: June 07, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »

stupid off season prediction- Havsa becomes almost as important as Chartouny by mid season.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16556 on: June 07, 2017, 01:38:41 pm »

stupid off season prediction- Havsa becomes almost as important as Chartouny by mid season.

I've heard stupider predictions on this forum  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16557 on: June 07, 2017, 02:06:09 pm »

I've heard stupider predictions on this forum  Grin

Not so bad.

In the last 7 games of the year Havsa averaged 26 minutes a game.  His offensive rating was 102.36, his D rating 99.62 per 100 possessions.  Opponent conference record in those games was 63-63, so a fair sample.  A little better than average on O and a scratch defender.  Chartouny's conference ORtg was 94.5 and his DRtg was 95.9.  Better defender but worse on offense.  Chartouny had injuries and other absences  conference and I don't think that's representative of his overall play.

But that stretch where Havsa was playing major minutes, his ORtg and DRtg are both better than Hawkins's conference ratings (albeit at a much lower usage rate), and much better on both scores than than Anderson's. 

Apologies, since I know this is the recruiting thread.  In the backcourt, at least, replacing Anderson with more Havsa, Hicks, and Evans (there's my recruiting tie-in), may mean significant improvement.  And a healthy JC would help, too.     
Report Spam   Logged
avon barksdale
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16558 on: June 07, 2017, 02:46:45 pm »

I still have to imagine we'll add 1 euro guy, it wouldn't surprise me if we had one or two guys lined up that just didn't pan out (there are many reasons why it can be difficult to get a kid from europe over here to play). The addition of Ali Ton definitely suggested we'd get involved with international players, so we'll see, but yes, quiet period right now for sure
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16559 on: June 07, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »

Not so bad.

In the last 7 games of the year Havsa averaged 26 minutes a game.  His offensive rating was 102.36, his D rating 99.62 per 100 possessions.  Opponent conference record in those games was 63-63, so a fair sample.  A little better than average on O and a scratch defender.  Chartouny's conference ORtg was 94.5 and his DRtg was 95.9.  Better defender but worse on offense.  Chartouny had injuries and other absences  conference and I don't think that's representative of his overall play.

But that stretch where Havsa was playing major minutes, his ORtg and DRtg are both better than Hawkins's conference ratings (albeit at a much lower usage rate), and much better on both scores than than Anderson's. 

Apologies, since I know this is the recruiting thread.  In the backcourt, at least, replacing Anderson with more Havsa, Hicks, and Evans (there's my recruiting tie-in), may mean significant improvement.  And a healthy JC would help, too.    

That GW game where he hit 4 three's was unbelievable. I think he is very quick and good defender and will make plays this year as PG that will be quite impressive. I am long Saglam too as surprise undervalued asset. Chartouny is very good player, but he would make some questionable passes and i remember quite a few air balls in big spots. Was Joe a 2 in high school? Maybe Havsa takes over 1 and joe 2?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 547 548 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 556 557 ... 566   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: