fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 10:54:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 [558] 559 560 561 562 563 ... 569   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting Update  (Read 912494 times)
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16710 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »

Just a hunch, but if Hicks and JC are graduating, don't expect them to come back.  Few do these days in college basketball.

I agree. Hopefully, the staff is recruiting on the assumption that they will need to fill four spots (or five). From the looks of things, they are doing that this summer. They did not seem to take that approach last summer. 
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:32 pm »

And thank heavens for that. One of my top 10 all time Ram favorites.

I'm not one to post much during the summer, but this one I couldn't resist bros. I know I've said much of this before, but it's been awhile.

The thing I remember most about Mandell's recruiting is when St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt passed him over after his campus visit there. Fast forward a year and I'm sitting there in the stands in Olean, watching young frosh Mandell Thomas and mega-talented senior Chris Gaston almost dual-handedly rip apart the Bonnies at the end of Gaston's last game as a Ram. Chris was always great, and Mandell was also really great that day. They couldn't stop Chris and had no answer for Mandell. The loss knocked the Bonnies out of the A-10 playoffs back when they had the stupid rule where not everyone got to participate. My wife (a St. Bonaventure grad) hated that rule, esp. that year!

Anyway, his (I believe) mom and at least one aunt and a couple of cousins were up in the stands yelling something like "that's what you get!" to the Bonnies bench. They were pretty vocal and I was loving it! Not too much though, as I wanted to make it back to my car alive.

It was a great game that was definitely a "if you haven't figure it out by now, he's arrived!" party for Mandell.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:59 pm »

I'm not one to post much during the summer, but this one I couldn't resist bros. I know I've said much of this before, but it's been awhile.

The thing I remember most about Mandell's recruiting is when St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt passed him over after his campus visit there. Fast forward a year and I'm sitting there in the stands in Olean, watching young frosh Mandell Thomas and mega-talented senior Chris Gaston almost dual-handedly rip apart the Bonnies at the end of Gaston's last game as a Ram. Chris was always great, and Mandell was also really great that day. They couldn't stop Chris and had no answer for Mandell. The loss knocked the Bonnies out of the A-10 playoffs back when they had the stupid rule where not everyone got to participate. My wife (a St. Bonaventure grad) hated that rule, esp. that year!

Anyway, his (I believe) mom and at least one aunt and a couple of cousins were up in the stands yelling something like "that's what you get!" to the Bonnies bench. They were pretty vocal and I was loving it! Not too much though, as I wanted to make it back to my car alive.

It was a great game that was definitely a "if you haven't figure it out by now, he's arrived!" party for Mandell.

Great story, Belmont.

Mandell was a credit to Fordham - a class act and one of the best players to wear the maroon. A winner in every way.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16713 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:09 pm »

Keep an eye on 6' 6" SF Dominick Welch, who was committed to UMass but will prep at Spire Institute in Ohio, Class of 2018. This is a very talented player from Buffalo who plays for Jimmy Hart's Albany Rocks AAU club.

Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:10 pm »

I agree. Hopefully, the staff is recruiting on the assumption that they will need to fill four spots (or five). From the looks of things, they are doing that this summer. They did not seem to take that approach last summer. 

+1. And we will also find out whether or not they can successfully and consistently recruit local/U.S talent as opposed to filling spots via international players. This will be interesting to see how things play out.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: July 21, 2017, 02:44:23 pm »

I am not sure some of you understand this staff's mindset.  They do not care whether they get players locally internationally from midwest etc.  They do not consider going international to get players a recruiting failure.  They look at one thing: will this player help us.  They always thought that way and have been operating that way.  Better get used to it because the days Fordham basketball having a roster of local players or all American players are over.  They judge recruiting success on getting good players that will fit into a team concept and they could not care less about recruiting service ratings, internet lists or impressing any of us in the summer. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: July 21, 2017, 06:27:55 pm »

I am not sure some of you understand this staff's mindset.  They do not care whether they get players locally internationally from midwest etc.  They do not consider going international to get players a recruiting failure.  They look at one thing: will this player help us.  They always thought that way and have been operating that way.  Better get used to it because the days Fordham basketball having a roster of local players or all American players are over.  They judge recruiting success on getting good players that will fit into a team concept and they could not care less about recruiting service ratings, internet lists or impressing any of us in the summer. 

It only makes sense to me that they will recruit whoever they feel will help them the most no matter where they come from.  The goal is winning games (while retaining integrity).  Once the winning starts to happen consistently, recruiting should become easier including among locals.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:59 pm »

Someone to keep an eye on - 6' 9" F Amari Stroud from Sunnyside High School, Fresno, CA. Class of 2018.

http://www.feedback.hudl.com/profile/6918103/amari-stroud
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:49 pm »

Via Pat Lawless on Twitter:

Dameane Douglas, a '18 forward from San Joaquin Mem. HS (CA)/@QpElite (CA), has picked up offers from Fordham, Cal St. Northridge & Cal Poly
Report Spam   Logged

We didnt get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. I can see it coming.

-Tom Pecora
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16719 on: July 22, 2017, 09:45:02 pm »

And more from Pat Lawless:

Junior Ballard, a class of 2018 guard playing for @QpElite (CA), has picked up an offer from Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged

-Tom Pecora
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: July 23, 2017, 03:22:21 pm »

And more from Pat Lawless:

Junior Ballard, a class of 2018 guard playing for @QpElite (CA), has picked up an offer from Fordham.

Thanks for the updates on these 2 California offers.  I guess we are seeing high activity from Ali Ton.  I would guess that the half dozen Californians we've offered and focused on are products of his network from his UC Irvine days; and the Turkish pipeline is obvious (and fruitful!)

Is Europe really that much further than California?  Wink

Count me in among those agnostic regarding where the athletes come from.  I like "made in America" as much as the next guy if it is possible, but we seem to have challenges that are caused but several well documented speed bumps (academic requirements, losing reputation, NYC not for everyone, working conditions, past coaching turmoil).

There was been talk among us that the NYC/CHSAA talent pool is contracting.  If it is, consider that the pool of D1 players who can also qualify academically might be contracting even faster.  And the kids that are left in NYC are much, much less 'worried' about playing in the south, the Midwest, etc.  The perception of "it could be a nightmare" away from the 'safety of NY is much less relevant.   The information age hurts St Johns, Fordham in this regard.  Even if the pool is not contracting, it sure hurts when more national schools can successfully draw from our reservoir!

Over time I'd be interested in whether a larger sample of foreign players exposes these potential downsides....
-Higher attrition due to homesickness or poor cultural fit into the US
-Higher levels of poaching of our 'discoveries' by large conferences
-Greater outflow of our kids back into their pro leagues.  Unlike a Mandell Thomas (american), there are no roster limits to their own country's teams.
-Inefficient recruiting expenses.  It our cost of recruiting ends up 50% or more than peer programs, that is a budget risk

Until any or all of those become problems, we should stop banging our heads against the "domestic only" wall, or the "NYC focused team" wall.

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16721 on: July 23, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »

Count me in among those agnostic regarding where the athletes come from. I like "made in America" as much as the next guy if it is possible, but we seem to have challenges that are caused but several well documented speed bumps (academic requirements, losing reputation, NYC not for everyone, working conditions, past coaching turmoil).

There was been talk among us that the NYC/CHSAA talent pool is contracting.  If it is, consider that the pool of D1 players who can also qualify academically might be contracting even faster. 

Agreed on the question of where we recruit our players. As far as I'm concerned, they can come from anywhere as long as they are talented, contribute and are strong representatives of the university.

The academic issue is no longer a problem, as we now have more than adequate academic support. Of course, we don't have a Phys. Ed major or the like, but we are past the point where this has been a significant problem for our recruiting.

As for the NYC/CHSAA talent pool contracting, it's important to recognize that the pool of NYC talent has not contracted, what has happened is many of these players are now transferring to prep schools in order to become academically eligible. When they played at NYC high schools in the past, we could not recruit many of these players due to the fact that they were not academically eligible, so IMO we now have a better chance to land some of these kids when they prep and get their scores to become NCAA-eligible.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:18 am »

They do not consider going international to get players a recruiting failure. 

Does this mean that Raut and Gazi, for example, were priority recruiting targets for us?  If so, then we'll see how well the coaching staff evaluated their talent.

If, instead, they came into play after we struck out on other recruits, then it is a failure in some sense.

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: July 24, 2017, 01:11:22 pm »

Does this mean that Raut and Gazi, for example, were priority recruiting targets for us?  If so, then we'll see how well the coaching staff evaluated their talent.

If, instead, they came into play after we struck out on other recruits, then it is a failure in some sense.

International recruiting is as high a priority as local recruiting.  That is why Ali Ton was hired.  So it is to be expected that international players are as high a priority as some domestic players, higher priority than others and less of a priority than others.  They do not go overseas when domestic players do not commit.  They are there all the time evaluating players and will take some international players before some domestic players.  Vice versa is also true.  It all depends on the players.  What I am sure about is that they are not going to give a scholarship to someone who they do not think can play at this level to fill a roster spot.  I think they have shown that so far but of course there are no guarantees regardless of where the player is from. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16724 on: July 24, 2017, 01:53:51 pm »

This whole discussion about where the players we get for the team is moot.  It really doesn't matter until we get into the season and then we'll know if we achieved a good recruiting class or not from wherever they came from.  "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."  I'm hoping for a successful season as usual.  We'll see.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16725 on: July 24, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »

I'm hoping for a successful season as usual. 

"The "as usual" refers to your hoping, I assume?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: July 25, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »

Fordham has offered 6' 1" combo guard Brandon Wade from Skyline HS in Ann Arbor, MI. Sleeper with good shooting touch and an excellent passer/playmaker. Class of 2018.

Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: July 25, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »

Royles, who led the KJCCC Div. II ranks in scoring last year, is slated to return to Labette for his sophomore year.

I have a few looks, Royles said. I have a visit to Fordham this fall. I have an offer from a Division II. But I picked up some looks Im considering.
 http://www.parsonssun.com/sports/article_a1f4f3ec-70c5-11e7-b825-cb7fe2c63a5b.html
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16728 on: July 25, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »

I have a few looks, Royles said. I have a visit to Fordham this fall. I have an offer from a Division II. But I picked up some looks Im considering.
 http://www.parsonssun.com/sports/article_a1f4f3ec-70c5-11e7-b825-cb7fe2c63a5b.html

Unorthodox, but I don't dislike it. My general sentiment is that the vast majority of talent is comparable. Get a kid with a good work ethic, good attitude, willingness to be coached. I'll never complain about a player if the effort is there. When you don't have D1 schools breathing down your neck, you just may have a little something extra in your tank.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: July 25, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »

"The "as usual" refers to your hoping, I assume?

Grin Yes, the "hoping part" not the past "history" part.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:38 am »

Fordham has offered 6' 5" SF Fletcher Tynen from Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, CA. Class of 2018.

Also offered by Hawaii, Northeastern, Bucknell and BU with Stanford starting to get involved.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:51:28 pm by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: July 27, 2017, 10:40:19 am »

Guess we know where Ali Ton is spending the summer, huh?
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: July 27, 2017, 12:31:51 pm »

Staff is in vegas according to the MBB Twitter feed. Big AAU events out there right now.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: July 27, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »

This is the last week of the July live evaluation period.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16734 on: July 27, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »

Video of Junior Ballard:

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: July 27, 2017, 08:15:47 pm »

An update on 6'8" F Arashma Parks, Class of 2018, who plays at Commonwealth Academy, MA. Parks is a Middletown, NY native and was recently offered by Temple. So along with Fordham, he has now been offered by the Owls, Pitt, Saint Louis, UMass and Manhattan. He hopes to make a decision in the Fall.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:45:39 pm by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: July 28, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »

Per VC, we've offered G Samir Stewart from Sagemont (Florida)

https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/891076931004661760
Report Spam   Logged

-Tom Pecora
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16737 on: July 30, 2017, 06:32:24 pm »

Via Pat Lawless:

Jared Kimbrough, a class of 2018 PF playing for the Jersey Force (NJ), has picked up an offer from Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged

-Tom Pecora
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: July 31, 2017, 02:06:43 am »

As most of you know their is a lively board discussion regarding "yield" ..... especially yield at Fordham.

It seems like we went from dangerously silent to loads of offers.  Does any one know if we've extended more offers for the '18 class then a typical Rams offered slate?

It seems like our USA basketball yield has been low the last few years.

If so....offer more, more, more.  There's plenty of A10 level talent.  Buy more stamps and letterhead Coach.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: August 01, 2017, 12:31:48 pm »

Fordham target 6'8" stretch 4 Donatas Kupsas from Long Island Lutheran played for his home country of Lithuania in the FIBA U19 World Championships this Summer, then returned to play well during the AAU live period for the 17U NY Jayhawks.

He has a solid mid-range and long-range game plus back to the basket skills and has gotten stronger over the Summer.

Kupsas now has a offers from Davidson and Richmond to go with offers from Fordham, Ole Miss, Vermont, Iona, Hofstra and others. He is Class of 2018.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:55:30 pm by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 [558] 559 560 561 562 563 ... 569   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: