fordhamfans.com
May 23, 2017, 08:13:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting Update  (Read 880853 times)
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16500 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:15 am »

I echo this sentiment!

What about a thread in the Fordham section titled "Potential Prospects" or something similar, which can be used to discuss players who might fill a hole for the Rams.  It can ID under the radar players the coaching staff might want to investigate (some of us may be uncomfortable emailing the coaching staff) or players who have, in fact, been looked at and passed on by the staff (Most of us do not have inside information).  
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:53 am »

Because he is a local guy who is transferring, follows Ali Ton (which suggests he knows who he is and why that's important) and started on the number 2 high school team in the country where 7 of his teammates play D-I ball, meaning he may be better than 2 D-I guys at least.  We recruited 2 local jucos last year in Tavares and Slanina.  How much better are Monroe or ASA compared to Pace?  Everyone else we targeted in the US we know of is off the board.  It's crickets otherwise, there should be no posts here at all if that's the criteria. 

Probably we sign some better international kid.  This guy is looking to latch on somewhere.  But he's better than a few guys on the roster, if perhaps not scholarship worthy.

Everything you say here has no merit. So what he is a local guy looking to transfer. Has Fordham ever been mentioned? Did you check to see if he is following any other recruiters? I bet he is. So 7 others play D ball. Does that make him qualified?  I love the line that he is looking to latch on somewhere. So are a bunch of others. Finally have you studied the tapes or watched him play real time and for sure think he is better than a few guys on the roster? He played Division II big step down. May be he is better than someone on the roster but not sure how you make that assessment if you have never seen him play.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16502 on: May 18, 2017, 09:44:14 am »

What about a thread in the Fordham section titled "Potential Prospects" or something similar, which can be used to discuss players who might fill a hole for the Rams.  It can ID under the radar players the coaching staff might want to investigate (some of us may be uncomfortable emailing the coaching staff) or players who have, in fact, been looked at and passed on by the staff (Most of us do not have inside information).  

I think potential gives it too much credibility. How about "speculation" or "wish list"
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: May 18, 2017, 09:46:27 am »

I think potential gives it too much credibility. How about "speculation" or "wish list"

It could be something like, "players we're hopefully looking at" or similar. People can comment on guys they hope we are looking at.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:31 am »

I don't have a problem calling a new thread what it is.  Should we do the same for scheduling, i.e. create a wish list thread for discussing  potential opponents in FB and BB such as the Notre Dames and the Dukes of the sports world?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:37 am »

Everything you say here has no merit. So what he is a local guy looking to transfer. Has Fordham ever been mentioned? Did you check to see if he is following any other recruiters? I bet he is. So 7 others play D ball. Does that make him qualified?  I love the line that he is looking to latch on somewhere. So are a bunch of others. Finally have you studied the tapes or watched him play real time and for sure think he is better than a few guys on the roster? He played Division II big step down. May be he is better than someone on the roster but not sure how you make that assessment if you have never seen him play.

From the guy who has littered the recruiting thread with criticisms over JN and the staff. You have dozens of posts in this very thread that do not pertain to a specific recruit such as:

Being a good coach involves a number of things. JN showed he can coach game wise. It's still to be proven whether he can succeed at recruiting. We will
             soon find out. He does need to bring in some good talent in the next few weeks.

He got hurt around mid year and only played in 15 games this past season but in all honesty the guy still has a lot to prove. In his first year he averaged
             18  minutes and was a 34% shooter with 2 rebounds per game. In 15 games this past year averaged 16 minutes, shot 28% and 1.3 rebounds per game. 

What exactly do these have to do with a recruit? Nothing.  If you want to bark at the other posters, then go back and look at most of your posts in this thread. Nearly all have zero to do with a specific Fordham recruit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:46:25 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: May 18, 2017, 11:15:16 am »

Didn't mean to get my hackles up over this.  I have seen footage of him (high school, Div II and workout footage).  He isn't as good as Manny Suarez, same conference.  They actually played against each other, but didn't guard each other.  He's more of a wing (and he had 39 and Manny 38 points in the 2 meetings between the teams, which they split, although Pace is pretty bad, and Peterson was much less efficient than Manny, 49.7% eFG% to 60.5%, and Manny was 3rd in the league in rebounding, 1st in blocks).  But I get it.  No specific connection, and may not even be that good, since he got no offers for D-I out of high school.  Although as a transfer to STM he didn't start until the end of his PG year so he was off the radar.  And the players he is better than in my humble opinion are walk-ons anyway.  Since right now I don't know who is coming back, will be healthy, etc, or anyone we have offered that I know of that hasn't committed elsewhere, it was just a reach.

But there are probably a lot of guys on our radar I just don't know about, especially overseas.  So I'll drop it.  When in Rome.

Speaking of Italy, from what I have read about Moretti, we are interested, as well as Arizona State, and if he comes to the US he wants to play in a major conference and not be a bench-warmer.  Join the club.  He's good, yeah.  If JC comes back, and Evans and Hicks are for real, with Havsa, not sure where he'd be on the guard chart.  He was clearly better than Havsa when he was 15 and Havsa 16 when they met in the U16 European Championships (19 points to zero when they met), although Havsa has gotten better naturally. Moretti, too. They both play with a certain flair.   
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: May 18, 2017, 01:01:08 pm »

Now this thread has deteriorated into talking about "talking about recruiting"! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: May 18, 2017, 01:08:44 pm »

Now this thread has deteriorated into talking about "talking about recruiting"! Roll Eyes

Well let's make your post and my reply to it the end of that. I think we hashed out a few things and it should help going forward.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16509 on: May 18, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »

From the guy who has littered the recruiting thread with criticisms over JN and the staff. You have dozens of posts in this very thread that do not pertain to a specific recruit such as:

Being a good coach involves a number of things. JN showed he can coach game wise. It's still to be proven whether he can succeed at recruiting. We will
             soon find out. He does need to bring in some good talent in the next few weeks.

He got hurt around mid year and only played in 15 games this past season but in all honesty the guy still has a lot to prove. In his first year he averaged
             18  minutes and was a 34% shooter with 2 rebounds per game. In 15 games this past year averaged 16 minutes, shot 28% and 1.3 rebounds per game. 

What exactly do these have to do with a recruit? Nothing.  If you want to bark at the other posters, then go back and look at most of your posts in this thread. Nearly all have zero to do with a specific Fordham recruit.

Funny you should be the one talking. Honestly I thought both responses  above that you chose to spell out  involved recruiting.  But in case you forgot below are some of your
posts in this thread. One talks about current roster players like mine did about Pekarek. Also if you go back and look at my posts while I have expressed concern over lack of commitments so far I also said time and again we need to see how this thing plays out before we can assess anything. Even the quote you pasted above gives JN credit in one phase of the job and I think some people would agree about the recruiting aspect.
 JN showed he can coach game wise. It's still to be proven whether he can succeed at recruiting. We will
             soon find out.

Your posts:
Chuba Ohams is 6ft 8. Jesse Bunting is 6ft 8 and Slanina is 6ft 10.  Ohams played sparingly early but when he got appreciable minute s (VCU) he proved he can be a formidable big. Bunting got even less minutes but showed a lot of promise. Slanina was on his way to being very solid prior to the injury.  Three (3) bigs there.  I think a shooter is more important for this team. I have heard we are recruiting some Eastern Euro bigs but lately rumors for me havent been too accurate so lets wait and see. We will need another big if these guys continue to foul at the rate that they foul.

You want to keep injecting your son into every thread, its wide open.

Its not un-necessary, this guy posts on every single player no matter where they go that its about our facility. AA made his own intentions very clear and never once mentioned the facilities.  Players are on social media, they speak with reporters, let them speak for themselves.

He just happens to bump into a guy or just happens to be driving by his sons school to fit the story.  No whe just happens to have a neighbor. Next week he will just happen to run itno a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who said he didnt go to Fordham because of the facility. He has no idea why the player chose that school, nor does he have anything from the kid to state the facilities were a deciding factor. How about just once that is supported?

This is a recruiting thread but certain posters simply cant stop themselves from turning this and every thread into a facilities debate.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: May 18, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »

Well, exactly can we say about those who talk about those talking about recruiting?  Maybe we could start a poll.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »

Well let's make your post and my reply to it the end of that. I think we hashed out a few things and it should help going forward.

JoeB has started a new speculation thread so I will speculate away there and only verified recruits we are in on here.  Peace.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16512 on: May 18, 2017, 08:06:38 pm »

Press release for our 2 signings. Hope this doesn't mean we are done for a while .http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/5/18/mens-basketball-tre-evans-and-antwon-portley-sign-basketball-letters-of-intent-at-fordham.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »

Maybe the timing of the press release just coincides with the end of the NLI signing period. Any future commits will not sign a NLI.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16514 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:55 pm »

Maybe the timing of the press release just coincides with the end of the NLI signing period. Any future commits will not sign a NLI.

+1. Yes.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16515 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:22 pm »

So with JC returning, we have two scholarships available with ten active players on next season's roster. I still think we sign at least one more guy.     
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16516 on: May 19, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »

So with JC returning, we have two scholarships available with ten active players on next season's roster. I still think we sign at least one more guy.     

Jake Fay is a graduate transfer at Hartford. I think we should sign him just so we can get 85's reaction posts.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16517 on: May 19, 2017, 04:22:16 pm »

Jake Fay is a graduate transfer at Hartford. I think we should sign him just so we can get 85's reaction posts.

I had forgotten about him and when you posted this I was curious about his career at Hartford,

........without going into a lot of detail it looks like he was injured a lot and never scored a point for them during his career.  I don't mean to be critical of him but you really have to wonder what Pecora saw in him that he locked him up by taking his brother too

Well, ancient history and good luck to him
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16518 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:54 am »

Fordham has offered 6' 1" guard Omar Silverio from St. Raymond's in the Bronx. He is Class of 2018 and also has offers from UMass, URI, St. Louis, VCU and UConn.

Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #16519 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:22 am »

And then give the last remains scholarship to his brother.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16520 on: May 20, 2017, 12:14:14 pm »

Fordham has offered 6' 1" guard Omar Silverio from St. Raymond's in the Bronx. He is Class of 2018 and also has offers from UMass, URI, St. Louis, VCU and UConn.

2018 is a big year for mike depaoli to show he can get us back in the local gyms. Don't forget he really only started last summer and that's probably too late for the current seniors.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16521 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:23 pm »

Mike is a good guy, I hope he can sign a few studs for us
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16522 on: May 21, 2017, 12:06:40 am »

Chuba Ohams is 6ft 8. Jesse Bunting is 6ft 8 and Slanina is 6ft 10.  Ohams played sparingly early but when he got appreciable minute s (VCU) he proved he can be a formidable big. Bunting got even less minutes but showed a lot of promise. Slanina was on his way to being very solid prior to the injury.  Three (3) bigs there.  I think a shooter is more important for this team. I have heard we are recruiting some Eastern Euro bigs but lately rumors for me havent been too accurate so lets wait and see. We will need another big if these guys continue to foul at the rate that they foul.
6'8" is generous for Bunting, try 6'6", he is shorter than Sengfelder.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16523 on: Yesterday at 08:57:38 am »

In the "For what it's worth Department-  From the NY "Post" 5/21/17- Sidney Wilson (I believe Fordham had an interest in him)
announced that he would be attending St. John's.  A reason given, was that coaches there assured him he could graduate in three years, and move on to the next level.  Interesting?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:00:12 pm by alanccrx » Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16524 on: Yesterday at 09:10:46 am »

In the "For what it's worth Department-  From the NY "Post" 5/21/17- Sidney Wilson (I believe Fordham had an interest in him)
announced that he would be attending St. John's.  A reason given was, that coaches there assured him he could graduate in three years, and move on to the next level.  Interesting?

Yes that actually is interesting. A new recruiting tool, I think we started this trend at Fu and now others may be following suit?  Changes the value of a scholarship.

No wait till someone tells you it is in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:29:03 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16525 on: Yesterday at 10:50:38 am »

Yes that actually is interesting. A new recruiting tool, I think we started this trend at Fu and now others may be following suit?  Changes the value of a scholarship.

in zagsblog someone also said that he would be able to play in front of his family and friends from the Bronx and SJU was the only one who offered that dimension. I guess we just don't exist. I saw him play, very athletic but im not too sure he will be in the NBA in three years, but who knows?
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #16526 on: Yesterday at 11:10:31 am »

Tell him to talk to Omar Cook.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16527 on: Yesterday at 11:12:24 am »

announced that he would be attending St. John's.  A reason given was, that coaches there assured him he could graduate in three years, and move on to the next level.  Interesting?

I hope JN and staff are not pitching that to recruits.  We need to develop players.  The guys who have/will leave, Severe, CS, Zarko, JC, are all Pecora recruits so that pitch may have already been made by the time JN got here.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16528 on: Yesterday at 11:50:50 am »

I think you are right, it could be a new recruiting tool.

The game has changed and every coach needs to figure out how to turn the new reality into an advantage.

Remember when Calipari and other smart coaches figured out how to make one & done's work for them?  Now even Coach K will take those players

Iona had a nice run a few years back by being one of the first to figure out how to make  saving scholarships for transfers from higher conferences work for them and then pitching themselves as a place to transfer down to in order to get a shot at the NCAA's, now other schools do the same.

You could have coaches telling players at a higher or a borderline level that playing for them for a year will allow them to transfer to a better program

And as the Post says they could pitch the graduate in three years and move on as another tool, a little tricker since it it s harder work for a student

The point is that all those strategies appeal to a player's desire to eventually get to a higher level

I am sure that the most creative coaches will find a way to make this work for them, after all they want to get to a higher as well

Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16529 on: Yesterday at 01:44:27 pm »

Maybe. I know St. John's has some programs designed to let students spread tuition, with discounts, and get their degrees within 3 years. Idea is to minimize student debt while filling up summer and winter intersession courses.

To each their own. But I got my own Fordham degree in 3 years as an undergrad and, if I had it to do over again, would have found a way to stay and pay for my 4th year and graduate with my classmates and friends.  Just saying.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: