fordhamfans.com
September 02, 2014, 09:57:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Dan Lauria Talks about Vince Lombardi and Fordham on ESPN

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dan Lauria Talks about Vince Lombardi and Fordham on ESPN  (Read 511 times)
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:06:23 am »

A former colleague at ESPN just texted me about this clip of actor Dan Lauria, who portrays Vince Lombardi in the current Broadway play, saying in an ESPN interview that Lombardi's proudest accomplishment was being named "Outstanding Teacher" while at Fordham.  Lauria talks about Lombardi wearing his Fordham ring at all times, even after he won the Super Bowl.  Good stuff:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

joesunfish
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »

Lombardi was an idol of mine and I'm looking forward to seeing the play at next Wednesday's matinee performance. The Fordham "Ring" story is news to me and a tale of great pride.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:55 pm »

A former colleague at ESPN just texted me about this clip of actor Dan Lauria, who portrays Vince Lombardi in the current Broadway play, saying in an ESPN interview that Lombardi's proudest accomplishment was being named "Outstanding Teacher" while at Fordham.  Lauria talks about Lombardi wearing his Fordham ring at all times, even after he won the Super Bowl.  Good stuff:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/
Someone should Fordham should give Lauria a Fordham ring since he's not wearing one in the play. 
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:08:44 pm »

Someone should Fordham should give Lauria a Fordham ring since he's not wearing one in the play. 

Good call.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »

Good find,  Bronxville Boy.

Remember Lauria for his portrayal of Jack Arnold, the intimidating and money conscious father on the TV series, The Wonder Years, that ran from 1988 to 1993

Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
xtey92a
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:36 pm »

He wears a FU ring in act I. Superbowl ring in Act II. Myself and several Fordham Buddies saw it. I really enjoyed it, should get a few Tony's.
Report Spam   Logged

Excelsior!
joesunfish
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »

My wife and I saw the play this afternoon and enjoyed it very much. Dan Lauria & Judith Light were well- cast as Vince & Marie Lombardi, and Keith Nobbs as the reporter was very good. We would recommend Lombardi to the older generation because of familiarity with the characters and the culture at the time. The theater was 2/3rds filled and the average age had to be close to 70.

I'd be interested to know if any posters in the 18-49 demographic saw it and what your impressions might be.

BTW, an interesting occurrence took place after the curtain call following the play. As the audience stood up to leave, several photographers hurried down the aisles to the stage and several people came on stage with the small cast of six. We were invited to take our seats and one gentleman introduced himself as the Executive Producer, and others as the producers of the play. As a cake was wheeled out on stage, the audience was informed that this matinee was the 100th staging of the play. Then to the delight, laughter and applause of the audience, another of the producers stated that as a gift to us for coming, the producers had arranged for the Green Bay Packers to play the New York Jets in the Super Bowl this year.

The current run goes until February 20 and if you haven't seen it, we recommend doing so. It is at Circle in the Square, a small theater on west 50th Street with a good view from every seat in the house.   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: