fordhamfans.com
October 17, 2017, 04:40:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update  (Read 18011 times)
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:09 am »

Going forward, let's post all women's basketball recruiting news in this new thread.

From the Asbury Park Press (6/20/11):

. . . the recruitment of 6-foot-3 St. Rose senior forward Samantha Clark appears to be coming into focus.

Clark's mother, Monmouth University Athletic Hall of Fame member Barbara, said on Monday afternoon that her daughter, who is currently ranked 69th in the latest ESPN HoopGurlz 2012 rankings, now has a list of five schools that includes Seton Hall, St. Joseph's, Fordham, Monmouth and Marist.

The 800-pound gorilla in this room of five schools is clearly Fordham, which didn't enter the picture until former Monmouth head coach Stephanie Gaitley left West Long Branch to take the Rams head coaching position . . .   There has been no indication by anyone of Clark having a favorite among the five, but Clark and her mother had taken a liking to Gaitley while she was with MU and that relationship apparently remains strong with Gaitley's move to the Bronx.

Click here to read the complete article.

Tweet by Josh Newman (sports reporter for the Asbury Park Press):

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
I checked in on that and nothing new to report. The list of five schools (Monmouth, Fordham, St. Joe's, Seton Hall, Marist) has not changed.
22 minutes ago via web

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:17:19 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:39 pm »

good idea. i actually posted this article but it was in thread about coach. Hope we snag this top 100
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

Tweet by Dutch Gaitley (Graduate Assistant for Temple University Men's Basketball, Coach Stephanie Gaitley's son):

@DGaitley_45Owl
Dutch Gaitley
Watch out A10, Fordham women just got a top 70 recruit for 2012 #SamsARam #GoMom
7 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Tweets by Josh Newman (sports reporter for the Asbury Park Press):

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
We're hearing St. Rose junior forward Samantha Clark has given a verbal commitment to Fordham University. More coming in a bit.
3 minutes ago via TweetCaster for Android

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
Clark, an All Shore second team choice in 2011, chose the Rams over a final list that included Monmouth, Marist, St. Joe's and Seton Hall.
3 minutes ago via TweetCaster for Android

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
Fordham is now coached by Stephanie Gaitley, who left the head job at Monmouth in early April to take the same position at Fordham.
1 minute agovia TweetCaster for Android

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
I never agreed with anyone who says the head coach and/or coaching staff shouldn't matter when picking a school. To Clark, it mattered
1 minute ago via TweetCaster for Android

@Joshua_Newman
Josh Newman
Clark just texted back to confirm she has indeed verballed, so official congrats to her.
47 seconds ago via TweetCaster for Android

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:07:53 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »

From the Star-Ledger (7/16/11, 2:05pm):

Samantha Clark, a rising 6-2 senior forward from St. Rose, has made a verbal commitment to Fordham . . .

Clark is a diverse frontcourt force who can exploit a defense in a number of fashions.  Beyond her ability to finish at the rim, Clark has exceptional touch from the perimeter, where she hit 30 3-pointers as a junior.   She topped St. Rose with a 16.0 point per game average to go with seven rebounds and two blocks a contest.

Click here to read more.
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:33:12 pm »

Tweet by Ellonya Green (president/coach of Nothing But Skills, former associate head men's basketball coach at Fairleigh Dickinson, Hofstra, and Saint Bonaventure):

@CoachTinyGreen
ellonya green
You heard it here first.  Next year Seton Hall, Monmouth, Rutgers, and Fordham will all be doing battle again.  Why you ask...Danielle Padavano!
27 minutes ago via web

Click here for stories in the Star-Ledger on Danielle Padavano's high school (South Brunswick) basketball team.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:25:57 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:33:33 am »

From the Asbury Park Press (7/16/11):

. . . two weeks after coaching . . . Monmouth . . . to the WNIT, then-Hawks head coach Stephanie Gaitley resigned to take the same position at Fordham . . .

Little did Monmouth fans know . . . when Gaitley left West Long Branch for the Bronx, she would end up taking . . . Monmouth’s biggest recruit in many years with her to New York City.

On Saturday, St. Rose rising senior forward Samantha Clark pledged her allegiance to the Rams by offering Gaitley a non-binding verbal commitment to Fordham.

Before Gaitley resigned from Monmouth . . ., there was rampant speculation that Clark was bound for West Long Branch.  Those rumors quieted down after Gaitley left, but new ones arose that Clark had begun taking a look at Fordham . . .  In short, Gaitley had formed a strong relationship with Clark and her parents while at Monmouth and the relationship . . . carried over . . . once Gaitley changed schools.

“I had a really good connection with Steph going back to the eighth grade, she was there from the beginning,” Clark said.  “When Steph was at Monmouth, I wasn’t even looking at Fordham.  As soon as she went to Fordham, I started taking a look.”

As a junior, Clark averaged 15.4 points and 7.0 rebounds per game in helping lead the Purple Roses to a 23-5 mark and an appearance in the NJSIAA Non-Public South B title game . . .

Behind Clark . . ., St. Rose is again expected to contend for a state title . . .

Click here to read the complete article.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:47:12 am by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »

From HoopGroup.com (7/17/11):

MONMOUTH RUTGERS FORDHAM SETON HALL WHAT DO THEY ALL HAVE IN COMMON?

These 4 schools will all be right at it again next year doing battle for services of Miss Danielle Padavano of the Central Jersey Cardinals.

Click here to read more, including the recruitment of Samantha Clark (see excerpt below).

Sami Clark is a great study in what makes the recruiting business so hard on college coaches.  You simply never know what a young person wants in a college.  In Sami Clark’s case, it was clear what she didn’t want.  She didn’t want Rutgers who tired to convince her to play for the State University.  She took a visit to Depaul but . . . DePaul was too far away and the Big East school had no connections to the people in Clark’s inner circle.  Vanderbilt tried early and often but Clark knew it was too far away.  Notre Dame seemed like a real player, but . . . Clark had zero interest.  Seton Hall tired and did there best but in the end they didn’t touch the right people.  St. Joe’s may have done the most complete recruiting job of everyone.  But when it became clear that Clark was moving in another direction St. Joe’s did the same.  Sami, didn’t want Marist who dominates the MAAC and even is in the Top 25 from time to time.  But Marist is still a mid major program and if Clark was going to a mid major school everyone knew it would not be Marist.  That left the two real contenders from the moment this process heated up…. Monmouth and Fordham.  Sami Clark picked Fordham . . .
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

From HoopGroup.com (7/17/11):

MONMOUTH RUTGERS FORDHAM SETON HALL WHAT DO THEY ALL HAVE IN COMMON?

These 4 schools will all be right at it again next year doing battle for services of Miss Danielle Padavano of the Central Jersey Cardinals.

Click here to read more, including the recruitment of Samantha Clark (see excerpt below).

Sami Clark is a great study in what makes the recruiting business so hard on college coaches.  You simply never know what a young person wants in a college.  In Sami Clark’s case, it was clear what she didn’t want.  She didn’t want Rutgers who tired to convince her to play for the State University.  She took a visit to Depaul but . . . DePaul was too far away and the Big East school had no connections to the people in Clark’s inner circle.  Vanderbilt tried early and often but Clark knew it was too far away.  Notre Dame seemed like a real player, but . . . Clark had zero interest.  Seton Hall tired and did there best but in the end they didn’t touch the right people.  St. Joe’s may have done the most complete recruiting job of everyone.  But when it became clear that Clark was moving in another direction St. Joe’s did the same.  Sami, didn’t want Marist who dominates the MAAC and even is in the Top 25 from time to time.  But Marist is still a mid major program and if Clark was going to a mid major school everyone knew it would not be Marist.  That left the two real contenders from the moment this process heated up…. Monmouth and Fordham.  Sami Clark picked Fordham . . .

Sounds like we got a good one here.
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:33:09 pm »

Sounds like we got a good one here.

Huge get for us.  Clark is ranked #69 by ESPN.

Click here to view ESPN's Top 100 recruits.

Click here to view Clark's ESPN profile.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:51:48 am »

Good stuff.  Thanks, ramMan.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:37:53 am »

Wow.

Who was our highest ranked men's recruit ever?
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:11 am »

The women's roster has been updated for the upcoming season but without the addition of new palyers.  It lists six returning players but none of the recruits.

I look forward to seeing who Coach Gaitley has coming in for next year and like the addition of a high level recruit for the following season
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »

Wow.

Who was our highest ranked men's recruit ever?

Charlie Yelverton?  Kenny Charles?  Tommy Sullivan?

I know Charlie and Kenny were heavily recruited by Al McGuire at Marquette when they were Top 5 and Sullie was recruited by Duke and Notre Dame.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 05:13:09 pm »

I am liking the early reports- but being a Ram fan- enthusiasm must be tempered until reality intrudes......
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

Thanks ramMan great news.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »

Fordham has offered combo guard Africa Williams from Benjamin Banneker Academy in Brooklyn.  She led the PSAL with a 29 point per game scoring average.

Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

I hope both new BB coaches bring the same level of success plus here.  The St. Rose kid is a player.  Lots of coverage in The Asbury Park Press.  Good luck Sami and Coach G.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:09 pm »

I am really curious about when Coach Gaitley will announce her incoming palyers for next year.

The Men's roster has been updated but not the Women

I realize that Pecora has the advantage of a far more stable situation but I thought we would have have seen an announcement from Gaitley by now
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:13:24 am »

I guess all you have to do is ask, the Women's roster has been posted and features five incoming freshmen. There are five returning players so unless there are some more players joining we will  have a short roster for this upcoming season.  If I remember there are 15 scholarships permitted in women's BB which means that Coach Gaitley will have the ability to bring in as many six players in her next recruiting class (Peters is a Sr this year).

This year's five freshmen are five of the six announced in November by the Druz, one player apparently seems to be going elsewhere.  I did not see an offical announcement about the roster on the sports website, perhaps they are holding it till next season Wink

Good luck to our new players and to the entire team and staff
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »

The Women's basketball roster has been updated again.  There are 7 freshman, one grad student from South Carolina and one junior transfer from Monmouth.   Now a total of 14 players.  Good luck to all of them.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:51 pm »

The Women's basketball roster has been updated again.  There are 7 freshman, one grad student from South Carolina and one junior transfer from Monmouth.   Now a total of 14 players.  Good luck to all of them.
Actually it looks like the transfer from South Carolina, Marah Strickland, had previously played at and transferred from the University of Maryland.  What is her eligibility and when can she play???

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/strickland_marah00.html
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »

I assume the Grad Student is eligible to play immediately and I think in Women's BB that even the transfer from Monmouth can play this year, not entirely sure about that.

So with 14 players and two completing their eligibility this year (Peters and the grad student) that will leave three available scholarships for next year with one having already been taken by the recent signing
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

Actually it looks like the transfer from South Carolina, Marah Strickland, had previously played at and transferred from the University of Maryland.  What is her eligibility and when can she play???

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/strickland_marah00.html

I believe grad students who have not used up their eligibility can play immediately.  The June 2009 SC press release mentions that Strickland was a Parade Magazine, McDonald's and WBCA All-American who started 59 of 70 games as a Frosh/Soph at MD.  I expect to see her starting at Fordham.

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061609aaa.html

The article also mentions that she would be sitting out one year due to NCAA transfer rules, which explains her remaining year of eligibility to play at Fordham.  Based on this comment, I also assume the Monmouth transfer will also need to sit out one year.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

strickland was also gatorade state player of the year for maryland  in 2007. Is that a first for our program?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 10:44:02 am »

Was Cheynere Vann the player of year in NY? 
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 09:06:11 am »

Tweet by Bret McCormick (managing partner and publisher of All-Star Girls Report that evaluates more than 5,000 players on a yearly basis):

@ASGR1995
Bret McCormick
Atlantic 10 top ten classes as of today.1)Dayton 2)St.Joseph's 3)GW 4)Charlotte 5) Xavier 6) Fordham 7)LaSalle 8)Temple 9) Duquesne 10) RI
19 minutes ago via web

Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »

I heard Clark signed a NLI to play for Fordham today.
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:36 am »

I heard Clark signed a NLI to play for Fordham today.

Below is a pic of Sami Clark (left) signining her NLI.

Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 10:35:26 am »

Below is a pic of Sami Clark (left) signining her NLI.

It is pretty incredible what Gaitley has done in such a short time. She has already gotten a transfer from a SEC school, a transfer from Monmouth who was all league, and a Top 100 recruit. This looks to be a great hire which is mind boggling after the debacle that was the Druzz era.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:41 am »

It is pretty incredible what Gaitley has done in such a short time. She has already gotten a transfer from a SEC school, a transfer from Monmouth who was all league, and a Top 100 recruit. This looks to be a great hire which is mind boggling after the debacle that was the Druzz era.

I think it also goes to show how women's hoops is a different animal than men's hoops.  The women/girls seem to be a bit more grounded than the men/boys are coming out of high school.  It seems to me that they factor in the school (read academics) more than the men do.  It's the only explanation I can think of b/c as great as Gaitley might be, I don't think what she has done could have been equaled on the men's side.  Now let' wait and see if it translates to the court, though we do have to wait until next season.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: