fordhamfans.com
July 25, 2017, 06:32:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update  (Read 17959 times)
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised if we get some more kids from AUS/NZ.  They got some good programs there and another Rooney-esque player would be a great thing . . .

She does have NYC POY Aaliyah Jones coming that should ease the loss of Rooney.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2014, 11:32:27 am »

She does have NYC POY Aaliyah Jones coming that should ease the loss of Rooney.

Recent Daily News Article regarding PSAL AA Semi Finals game. Hope she will be fully recovered by next year...

"Meanwhile, Bergtraum guard Aaliyah Jones, who was supposed to be the teamís best player before an ACL injury limited her to only a few minutes on the court this season, watched helplessly from the bench in street clothes."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/bergtraum-15-year-title-streak-snapped-francis-lewis-article-1.1710918#ixzz2vrCrNU60
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »

When did she get hurt? Too bad.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »

Is Africa Williams still coming?
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2014, 12:26:05 pm »

Is Africa Williams still coming?

Charlie,

You asked the question last year, she did not arrive then and unless things have changed since then it does not appear that she will.

Do you have some inside information?

A quick search on the web shows that she played at Monroe Community College this season
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:55 pm »

Thanks SI ram - it's hard to keep up with all of this.  Williams is a good one but we need some athletic bigs next year to help Sam.  Padavano was a 3 point shooter in HS - made 8 3's in one game and 7 in a row in another.  She struggled on defense this year otherwise I think she would have gotten more pt.  Padavano is 6'.  The Slovenian young lady can play as can Danielle Burns.  I didn't see enough of Jordan or some of the other girls to have an opinion.  Still Gaitley is a great coach and I am sure she will surprise us.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

Both experienced national players from Europe - a guard and a guard/forward
http://fordhamsports.com/news/2014/4/23/WBB_0423144926.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Oxymoron
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2014, 05:09:46 pm »

Looks like Coach Szumilo has been hard at work! Recruiting must be easier with a championship team.

Women's Basketball Adds Two in Spring Signing Period

Asnate Fomina and Britt Zeppaij Will Join the Rams in 2014-15

Apr. 23, 2014 Women's Basketball

Coming off the program's first Atlantic 10 title, Fordham Women's Basketball Head Coach Stephanie Gaitley has announced the addition of two student-athletes during the spring signing period.

Asnate Fomina (Riga, Latvia/Riga Secondary School No. 49) and Britt Zappeij (Tiel, Netherlands/ CTO Amsterdam) will join the Rams for the 2014-2015 season, looking to help Fordham take the next step after a thrilling campaign in 2013-2014.

Both Fomina and Zappeij come to Rose Hill following extensive experience on their respective national teams.

Fomina, a 5-8 guard, just came off a successful stint with the Latvian team at the 2013 U-20 European Championship, averaging 6.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game, leading the entire tournament in that category.  Prior to her success in 2013, Fomina had been a member of numerous  Latvian national squads, including the U-20 and U-18 teams in 2011 and 2012 and the U-16 team in 2009 and 2010.

"It was critical for us to replace the backcourt of Erin Rooney and Abigail Corning," said Coach Gaitley.  "Asnate is an extremely talented guard that makes everyone around her better. She is a physical and strong scoring guard who we feel will make an immediate impact."

A member of RSU-Merks, a First Division club team, Fomina led the squad with 11.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game in 28 contests during the 2013 season.  RSU-Merks finished third in the NORDEA League this past season, a league made up of teams from several different Nordic countries.  A well-rounded player, Fomina nearly recorded a triple-double with 23 points, ten assists and eight rebounds against Latvija U16 on November 28th.

Zappeij, a 6-1 guard/forward, has competed in a number of international competitions as a member of the Dutch National Team, including the U-17 World Championship in 2012 and the U-19 World Championship in 2013, during which she was the captain of her squad.  At the Division A U-18 European Championships in 2013, Zappeij captained the Dutch team to a fourth place finish, registering 5.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.4 assists per contest.

"Britt is a versatile player that can play many positions," said Coach Gaitley. "She is a 6'1 guard/forward who is left handed and can stretch the defense with her shooting range.  One of her strongest qualities is her leadership ability as she has been named captain for every national team she has represented with Netherlands."

A member of the squad at CTO Amsterdam, Zappeij's team competed against the best competition the Netherlands had to offer, as she averaged 6.9 points and 7.1 rebounds per game.  Most impressively, Zappeij's team was comprised of 15-19 year olds and held its own against much more seasoned players.

Report Spam   Logged
Oxymoron
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »

Looks like you beat me to it!  Smiley
Seems to be a great pickup, especially with the collective national team experience between the two.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »

good stuff    the women's program's global reach continues   looks like these two have quite a bit of experience     look forward to seeing next year's team
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:39 pm »

good stuff    the women's program's global reach continues   looks like these two have quite a bit of experience     look forward to seeing next year's team
I'd like to see an athletic "big", but otherwise I like the additions.  Still, replacing Rooney and Corning will be tough initially.  Hopefully by the time we get into A10 play, we will have gelled.  No doubt Coach will have the tough defense, regardless.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »

Looks like you beat me to it!  Smiley
Seems to be a great pickup, especially with the collective national team experience between the two.
But I should have posted where you did.  I asked Ace to move or delete mine if he wants.
Yes, the experience, especially with the loss of Rooney and Corning, will be very important.
You gotta like what Coach Gaitley has done.  Wish we could say that about some other coaches!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »

I'd like to see an athletic "big", but otherwise I like the additions.  Still, replacing Rooney and Corning will be tough initially.  Hopefully by the time we get into A10 play, we will have gelled.  No doubt Coach will have the tough defense, regardless.

Agreed. That was part of the difference in the NCAA Tourney loss to Cal-Berkeley. We need one or two athletic bigs to take the next step.

Should the Men's program take the international route? Just checking.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:40 pm »

Both ladies look like great additions.

I wonder if our mens' coach is looking overseas as well.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »

Agreed. That was part of the difference in the NCAA Tourney loss to Cal-Berkeley. We need one or two athletic bigs to take the next step.

Should the Men's program take the international route? Just checking.

Absolutely. Four years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2014, 09:06:11 pm »

Great job Coach.  Welcome Ladies
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:17 pm »

looks like good experience with these 2 recruits but agreed, would like to see some bigs to take it to the next level.

Regardless, appreciate Gaitley getting aggressive. 
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2014, 08:15:54 am »

Fordham is recruiting 6' wing/guard Ashley Martin from the Marymount School in Manhattan. She averaged 15 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals per game last season, is going into her junior year, and plays for the Westchester AAU club. St. Joe's and Providence are also recruiting her.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:43 am »

Gaitley is very crafty putting together her rosters from year to year.  Looks like another solid class.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »

Gaitley is very crafty putting together her rosters from year to year.  Looks like another solid class.
She recruits well, then coaches them up.  Wish those were contagious.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:13 am »

Fordham has offered 6' 3" Class of 2015 SF Kiah Gillespie from Capital Prep Magnet School in Hartford, CT. Gillespie also has offers from Michigan, Tennessee, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse and St. John's.

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »

Khaly Latimer from Immaculate Conception Academy has visited Fordham.

Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:06 pm »

That young lady needs to come to Fordham.  Sweet.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »

Fordham Women's Basketball has a 5th year transfer PG coming in from BC: http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2014/7/3/WBB_0703143436.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »

Dara Mabrey, Marina Mabrey's (ND Frosh) younger sister is a freshman at Manasquan HS and is making a name for herself already.  Lots of talent in that family.  Hopefully she is not going to want to go to ND and follow after her sister.  Instead she just may want to come here.  Her big sister Marina visited here but chose that other school.  Fingers crossed. 
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2015, 11:04:52 pm »

Looks like we signed the leading scorer in NJ, Lauren Holden from Lower cape May.  She is joining a select few at the 2,000 point club.  She's only 5'5" but she is very quick and fast and can create.  When you average over 30 points a game I guess you can do things.  The only thing I wasn't clear about was if she is 2016 or 17. 
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:55 pm »

Mystery solved Holden is a PG and Class of 2015.  She is  being nominated for the McDonald's All American Team.  Nice job Coach.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2015, 12:17:17 am »

Looks like we signed the leading scorer in NJ, Lauren Holden from Lower cape May.  She is joining a select few at the 2,000 point club.  She's only 5'5" but she is very quick and fast and can create.  When you average over 30 points a game I guess you can do things.  The only thing I wasn't clear about was if she is 2016 or 17. 

Charlie, How is the league that her h.s. team is in.  I don't mean to sound chauvinistic but I can't imagine it is very strong competition in that area or am I wrong about that?  Regardless I hope she has a great career at Fordham.

Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2015, 11:47:51 am »

It's hard to tell but when anyone can score like this kid can she should be a real find.  Plus she's a PG. 

Also I made a joke about the only way to get ahead of her was to find an 8th grader and guess what she got a commit from an 8th grader. LOL!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »

Mystery solved Holden is a PG and Class of 2015.  She is  being nominated for the McDonald's All American Team.  Nice job Coach.

Lauren Holden, Lower Cape May - 45 points
 Lauren Holden set the mark early in the season by hitting 15 2-pointers and 6 3-pointers in an 81-69 win over Burlington City

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/player/lauren-holden-2/

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/snt/news/index.php/region-sports/cape-may-county-sports/59222-holden-makes-it-official-with-fordham.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: