fordhamfans.com
September 19, 2017, 01:17:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women's Basketball - Recruiting Update  (Read 17989 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:11 am »

I think it also goes to show how women's hoops is a different animal than men's hoops.  The women/girls seem to be a bit more grounded than the men/boys are coming out of high school.  It seems to me that they factor in the school (read academics) more than the men do.  It's the only explanation I can think of b/c as great as Gaitley might be, I don't think what she has done could have been equaled on the men's side.  Now let' wait and see if it translates to the court, though we do have to wait until next season.

The girls won their first game of the season on Wednesday night. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 11:18:01 am »

The girls won their first game of the season on Wednesday night. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come!

They also got clobbered by Albany in their first game.  I am not giving her an entire free pass in year one, but the real test is next year when the new players join.

Interesting to see that Strickland, the transfer from South Carolina who is a graduate student not needing to sit out a year, did not see any time in either game.  Is that not as big a transfer as some made it out to be or is she injured?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »

I think it also goes to show how women's hoops is a different animal than men's hoops.  The women/girls seem to be a bit more grounded than the men/boys are coming out of high school.  It seems to me that they factor in the school (read academics) more than the men do.  It's the only explanation I can think of b/c as great as Gaitley might be, I don't think what she has done could have been equaled on the men's side.  Now let' wait and see if it translates to the court, though we do have to wait until next season.

THis is funny because I considering writing something like "I wish Pecora could have nabbed a top transfer or Top 100 recruit in the early period" then I thought about how unrealistic this is in Men's basketball and didn't write it. Recruiting in the Men's game with AAU and prep schools isso much different and I didn;t want it to sound like I was being negative towards Pecora. That being said it will be very interesting to see what he does in the Spring.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »

They also got clobbered by Albany in their first game.  I am not giving her an entire free pass in year one, but the real test is next year when the new players join.

Interesting to see that Strickland, the transfer from South Carolina who is a graduate student not needing to sit out a year, did not see any time in either game.  Is that not as big a transfer as some made it out to be or is she injured?

I hear that she is injured. I have no further details other than that.
Report Spam   Logged
friarsbob
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »

She has some kind of lung infection which is taking some time to clear up so the decision has been made to red shirt her for this year. PS--women win number two, beating Holy Cross in Worcester.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 03:53:13 am »

She has some kind of lung infection which is taking some time to clear up so the decision has been made to red shirt her for this year. PS--women win number two, beating Holy Cross in Worcester.

She does not have a lung infection. It has not been made public yet, so I do not want to post what her ailment is, but the bottom line is that she will not be playing this year. Hopefully she will qualify for a red shirt year, but it is not a slam dunk. This would be her sixth year of eligibility... the NCAA allows for a student athlete to get 4 years of playing time in during a 5 year period. She will need to apply for a waiver and hope that the NCAA lets it go through.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »

She does not have a lung infection. It has not been made public yet, so I do not want to post what her ailment is, but the bottom line is that she will not be playing this year. Hopefully she will qualify for a red shirt year, but it is not a slam dunk. This would be her sixth year of eligibility... the NCAA allows for a student athlete to get 4 years of playing time in during a 5 year period. She will need to apply for a waiver and hope that the NCAA lets it go through.

Posting at 350am, NYRam07?  Whats up with that?

Who or what is your source for that?
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »

I had just got home from a secret board of trustees meeting and a night of drinking with Frank.
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:18 am »

From yesterday's New York Post:

Highly touted Williams commits to play women's hoops at Fordham

For the next year and a half until she graduates, Africa Williams wants to focus more than ever before on her academics. So it only made sense to get the recruiting process out of the way. And when it comes to education, Williams felt like Fordham was her best bet.

That’s why the Banneker junior star guard verbally committed to the Rams on Thursday, spurning the likes of VCU, Seton Hall and Drexel.

“It was mainly for academics plus basketball,” Williams said. “They have an excellent women’s basketball program and it’s a good academic school.”

Fordham offered Williams awhile ago, she said, but the Bronx school wasn’t really on her radar until first-year head coach Stephanie Gaitley took over. She’s gone to see the Rams play at Rose Hill Gym a handful of times and thought they would be a perfect fit for her with a chance to also play college basketball in front of friends and family.

I love the coaching staff,” Williams said. “Since Day One, when I visited the school, I felt I had a connection with them.”

It’s been a number of years since a city star went to Fordham, but Gaitley has done well with stars from the Big Apple in the past. She was extremely successful at LIU before moving on to Monmouth. The veteran coach has been a winner wherever she’s gone – she’s the all-time winningest coach at Richmond and LIU.

And Williams is a bonafide star. The 5-foot-7 guard can score in any number of ways and is a lethal shooter from the outside. She’s also extremely strong and has the ability to finish inside against bigger players. Williams, who transferred from Bishop Ford after her freshman year, is averaging 28.3 points per game this year for Banneker and led the PSAL in scoring (29.1) last year.

Click here to read more.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:01 am »

“They have an excellent women’s basketball program and it’s a good academic school.”

At this point in time, I think she has those juxtaposed.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:02 am »

At this point in time, I think she has those juxtaposed.
Quite so.  Reminds be a bit of a recruit to the Holy Cross men's team.  He was quoted as what impressed him during his visit was the School of Business which he was looking forwarrd to attending.  HMM, there was no School of business.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:27 am »

This looks like a very nice recruit for Coach Gaitley

Welcome to Fordham Africa Williams!
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »

At least someone is recruiting. She is becoming a brooklyn legend after leading psal in scoring last year made all city 2nd team as a soph.     nice passer     
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »

Here's another article on Williams' verbal commitment...

From the New York Daily News (9:31 PM EST tonight):

Banneker basketball star Africa Williams picks Fordham

Africa Williams, the high-scoring guard at Banneker, is a pioneer of sorts in the world of girls basketball.

She led Bishop Ford to the school’s first-ever JV championship as a freshman. She put Banneker on the basketball map with a scoring average that trumped every other girl in the PSAL as a sophomore last season.

And now, she has verbally committed to Fordham....

Leave it to Williams, 17, to break new ground with her announcement; if she qualifies academically, Williams would be the first girl from Banneker to play at a Division I school after Kimberly Blakney failed to make the grade following the 2006 season despite offers from Seton Hall, St. John’s and Connecticut.

“If I could give any advice to her, I would say your academics come before anything,” said Blakney who, like Williams, led the PSAL in scoring while at Banneker. “You can’t play ball unless you have the grades.”

Williams has always said her schoolwork has been a priority, which is why she transferred to Banneker during her sophomore season because of the smaller class size. And it’s also why she verbally committed so early — so she can focus on her schoolwork and preparation for the SATs....

“There were a lot of schools that were after me,” said Williams, who chose Fordham over West Virginia, Seton Hall and Drexel. “But the whole process of visiting schools was getting stressful. I was starting to become more focused on the visits than schoolwork and I wanted to get the focus back on school.”

Click here for the full story.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:21:31 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »

Below is a tweet from a "player development coach/recruiting tracker."

WeWorkHoops The Trainer
UAB, UTEP, Fordham, Marshall, SEMO, Furman and Jacksonville are involved with Columbia St Community College Soph guard Kaylah Gholson
4 minutes ago
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »

"As a freshmen made TJCCAA second team all confrence…2010-2011 Averaged 12.1pts per game with a felid goal percentage of 44.9% . Was 2nd in the league in assists averaging 4.3 per game and 2nd in the league in steals averaging 4.0 per game.
Prior to Columbia State:
Gholson played in 36 games in 2 seasons at Banneker…started all 36 after transferring from Bishop Ford HS…Finished 1st on the team in scoring at 13.9 a game while leading the league (PSAL) in assists with an impressive 6.9 per game
Personal:
Born on September 23, 1992…daughter of Yvonne Gholson…has 1 brother, Raliek (13) and a sister, Earlette(10)…major is physical therapy."

another Bishop Ford to Banneker transfer
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:23:16 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
Fordhamlwr
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 06:58:40 pm »

This all sounds impressive .... but. And it's a big but. If a recruit can't cut it academically, they won't ever actually come to Fordham ... or won't be able to stay. I already heard about one of the hyped recruits now having to 'focus on academics' .... hello. Might be a good idea if you plan on going to COLLEGE. Unless the new coach is planning to throw all academic integrity out the window.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

all players have to focus on academics. fordhams grad rate is usually around 90% for all teams. 100% for w's basketball in 2008
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:15:33 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
carramham
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 10:42:07 pm »

hey guys anyone know about the transfer from texas?? I heard she had a great outside game and touch for the ball.  As this season is going we could certainly use some improved perimeter shooting and passing game. Thanks for the help and GO RAMS!
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:01 am »

From yesterday's New York Post:

Highly touted Williams commits to play women's hoops at Fordham

For the next year and a half until she graduates, Africa Williams wants to focus more than ever before on her academics. So it only made sense to get the recruiting process out of the way. And when it comes to education, Williams felt like Fordham was her best bet.

Click here to read more.

Williams scored 49 (!) of her team's 66 points in a 66-63 overtime win over Brooklyn Collegiate yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/psal_girls_basketball_roundup_africa_s2g2izwhzIzqj21TvrcqFJ
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 11:49:00 am »

"Sam Clark hit for a season-high 29 points when undefeated St. Rose, No. 3 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, defeated sixth-ranked Jackson, 44-27, last night in Belmar.

The game was tied, 10-10, after Tiffany Montagne scored her 10th point for Jackson by converting a three-point play with 5:58 left in the first half. But Clark then supplied 12 points as her team closed out the half with a 16-0 run for a 26-10 lead. The Fordham-bound forward scored four more as the lead stretched to 36-17 entering the final period. Montagne finished with 14 points for Jackson.http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1389492251757910398/jackson-27-at-st-rose-44-girls-basketball/
Report Spam   Logged
carramham
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »

hey guys anyone know about the transfer from texas?? I heard she had a great outside game and touch for the ball.  As this season is going we could certainly use some improved perimeter shooting and passing game. Thanks for the help and GO RAMS!

anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:36 pm »

anyone?

How about giving us a hint...like her name?
Report Spam   Logged
carramham
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »

molly something or other.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »

doesnt look like anyone knows what ur talking about. u sure there is a transfer coming in?
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

Probably "or something".  There's no "molly" on this year's or last year's roster at UT. 
Were you thinking of another Texas school?
There's a Mallory Singleton who is a soph at SMU, averaging only 8 minutes/game, but she's from the Dallas area.  I would have thought a transfer would be someone with NYC connections of some sort.  SMU is ranked on USNWR about where we are and has excellent facilities.  I doubt she's the one.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:30:10 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »

fordham gets verbal from Hannah Missry,
"As predicted yesterday, todays Group IV championship game between TOC finalist last year N. Hunterdon and the Shore Conferences own Jackson Memorial was a game for the ages.
I only could arrive for the last minute something.  I see NH’s  Miss Tarsi drive and score for the game tying basket only to hear a late whistle from the Shore’s most known referee for a charge.  Tarsi fouls out, basket doesn’t count – NH fans assemble a lynch mop and the Ref’s are eyeing their exit plan.
Still NH keeps battling and tie the score with less than a minute on a hoop from one of their bigs.  Then with 8 seconds to play, Jackson Jr. Hannah Missry, whom the day before gave a verbal commitment to Fordham and Coach Stephanie Gaitley (joining Sam Clark), banged in her 8th (out of 11) 3 of the game.  Incredibly exciting." " Missry, hit eight 3-pointers and finished with 27 points and seven rebounds as Jackson,(27-5) No. 15 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, won its first Group 4 crown."
Report Spam   Logged
a10shun2dtail
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 10:28:24 pm »

Coach Gaitley's brought in Briana Jordan, a transfer from Tennessee Tech. She's currently on campus taking classes and participating in team activities. Gaitley recruited Jordan out of high school, but Jordan didn't like Monmouth and (obviously) chose Tenn. Tech instead. Jordan's mom also played for Gaitley at Richmond back in the day. No roster changes have been made yet on either team's website (its still too early) so here is a link to her player bio/stats from Tenn. Tech.

http://www.ttusports.com/sports/wbkb/2011-12/bios/jordan%20briana
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »

Coach Gaitley's brought in Briana Jordan, a transfer from Tennessee Tech. She's currently on campus taking classes and participating in team activities. Gaitley recruited Jordan out of high school, but Jordan didn't like Monmouth and (obviously) chose Tenn. Tech instead. Jordan's mom also played for Gaitley at Richmond back in the day. No roster changes have been made yet on either team's website (its still too early) so here is a link to her player bio/stats from Tenn. Tech.

http://www.ttusports.com/sports/wbkb/2011-12/bios/jordan%20briana
From the TTU write-up she sounds like a good get.  She had a pretty good freshman season it seems.  Hope she can continue to do the same at Fordham (I guess starting next year).
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:42 am »

Attended the same HS as ex-Rams hoopster Brenton Butler, I see.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: