fordhamfans.com
August 18, 2017, 07:49:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Who should be the new Football Coach?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who should be the new Football Coach?  (Read 26313 times)
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:13:06 pm »

Masella has not done the job so it's time to move on.  Who can we get?  Gents?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »

Fordham needs to hire the guy who knows the dobnor who will build a football facility.  We've heard all season about injuries.  Why are players injured so much?  Because other teams are in better shape.  All the schools in the PL except for Georgetown have better facilities than Fordham.  By a lot.  You want the big time, best pony up, fellas.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:17:40 pm »

I think Tom will be back next year, but if he isn't, bet on Dave Cecchini, the Offensive Coordinator at Lehigh as the next coach. He's been a finalist for the Fordham position before.  He's like a Dave Clawson. I think he's ready.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »

Clayton Kendrick-Holmes...........

This guy can coach, he is right in our backyard ( aka Frank's rolodex ) and his name sounds like a local funeral home.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:19 pm »

If he decides to move, he can do better. 
Report Spam   Logged
oktornado
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:24 pm »

Seriously, if I am upcoming Lehigh HC, lookingpast a Fordham to a program with facilities, commitment- like a Clawson move to Richmond.  Not saying guys won't come here (gonna have to pay em), but I wouldn't. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:08:33 pm »

Seriously, if I am upcoming Lehigh HC, lookingpast a Fordham to a program with facilities, commitment- like a Clawson move to Richmond.  Not saying guys won't come here (gonna have to pay em), but I wouldn't. 

It's a different world now.  No one on the ball will be interested.  It is a career killer.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »

Cecchini would be the first phone call. I think it would his job to take (or turn down).
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »

Oktornado, Clawson was our head coach and went to coach Richmond.  Cecchini is the OC at Lehigh.  Huge difference.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »

Cecchini would be the first phone call. I think it would his job to take (or turn down).

While I don't see the point of making a change if everything else remains status quo, I think you at least have to open the job up and see who else wants to commit career suicide. 
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

While I don't see the point of making a change if everything else remains status quo, I think you at least have to open the job up and see who else wants to commit career suicide. 

AOC - You feel up to it?    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 09:21:55 pm »

What about the very impressive HC of Assumption
Report Spam   Logged
caliram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:15 pm »

Career suicide??? You have 63 scholarships In a non scholarship conference . You should win 10 games a year with no problem
Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:01:26 am »

Career suicide??? You have 63 scholarships In a non scholarship conference .

And after 2012??
Report Spam   Logged
tuowl05
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 12:51:11 am »

Career suicide??? You have 63 scholarships In a non scholarship conference . You should win 10 games a year with no problem

Your statement couldn't be more off base. You think  Idaho State, Charleston Southern, Nicholls State, URI(still have) etc. would win 10 games in the the PL?

There's plenty of scholarship programs that suck. Having scholarships guarantees you NOTHING!
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 01:03:51 am »

Your statement couldn't be more off base. You think  Idaho State, Charleston Southern, Nicholls State, URI(still have) etc. would win 10 games in the the PL?

There's plenty of scholarship programs that suck. Having scholarships guarantees you NOTHING!

Our prior coaches havent done all that bad for themselves since leaving our career suicde job. And, the chance at increasing your salary from $80k to $2500K is not career suicide for anyone.  As the schoolies, I agree, its not a guarantee of anything.

Fordham's last head coaches were Foley who killed his own career, Clawson, who is now a 1A head coach, O Keefe who is a top notch coordinator at Iowa, didnt kill his career, Quartaro who went out to be a 1A coordinator......

To suggest that a good coordinator or D3 head coach making $80K a year is not going to jump to take our job is not believable, because its not accurate. And the history of of prior head coaches indicates that it is not a career killer if you pass through here....

Report Spam   Logged
tuowl05
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 01:11:44 am »

Our prior coaches havent done all that bad for themselves since leaving our career suicde job. And, the chance at increasing your salary from $80k to $2500K is not career suicide for anyone.

Fordham's last head coaches were Foley who killed his own career, Clawson, who is now a 1A head coach, O Keefe who is a top notch coordinator at Iowa, didnt kill his career, Quartaro who went out to be a 1A coordinator......

To suggest that a good coordinator or D3 head coach making $80K a year is not going to jump to take our job is not believable, because its not accurate.

Which proves a non-scholarship program can be more successful than a scholarship program.

I hate to bring up bball but the previous poster's comment was like saying "by default, being in the A10 guarantees you A10 quality recruits"...umm no

Historically, non-scholarship Lehigh and Colgate are more successful than 2/3's of the scholarship programs in the country. Why is that?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:20:07 am by tuowl05 » Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19:41 am »

Tough to say but perhaps its the disparity in academic profiles?  The non schollie 1-AA always seemed to be significantly better academically to their schollie counterparts.....so more to offer in terms of academics?  Obviously that doesnt apply to richmond or Nova but the IVYs and the Patriot schools seem to have that advantage........
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:30:16 am »

Our prior coaches havent done all that bad for themselves since leaving our career suicde job. And, the chance at increasing your salary from $80k to $2500K is not career suicide for anyone.  As the schoolies, I agree, its not a guarantee of anything.

To suggest that a good coordinator or D3 head coach making $80K a year is not going to jump to take our job is not believable, because its not accurate. And the history of of prior head coaches indicates that it is not a career killer if you pass through here....

A DIII coordinator??  That's what this has come to?  Great. Put a DIII The program is dead, may as well cremate the body. 

If you think being a 57 year old career assistant is a great path, I guess O'Keefe is doing OK.  I believe Quartaro is out of coaching.  Foley hasn't gotten a decent job.  O'Neal Tutien never worked in football again.  Ya, leaving Fordham is a real launching pad for a football career.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 10:25:50 am »

And some former assistants are relegated to posting on this forum!   Wink

All kidding aside, I don't think there is anything wrong with being a career assistant and at the right place the pay is more than ok. I would put O'Keefe and Clawson in the have done fine category, the rest not so much. One could argue though that Foley should have never been given the job in the first place though. I thought that hire said a lot about the dangers of booster and player influence when it comes to coaching decisions.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:11 am »

In all of this, nobody seems to have asked Coach Masella his honest thoughts.  Right?    Not that he would/could tell us.    But I would love to hear what he says.     

Like the old Wendy's commercial with the old lady asking, "Where's the beef?", we are much like her (and rightfully so!).        Shocked

The fundamental thing with athletics is this:   if you are going to do something, do it right, do it honestly, to the very best of your ability.    I am not sure Fordham does that.    Its a tepid relationship, with Div III facilities.   

You get what you pay for, in facilities and coaches.    And then results.   

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 10:45:27 am »

And some former assistants are relegated to posting on this forum!   Wink

All kidding aside, I don't think there is anything wrong with being a career assistant and at the right place the pay is more than ok. I would put O'Keefe and Clawson in the have done fine category, the rest not so much. One could argue though that Foley should have never been given the job in the first place though. I thought that hire said a lot about the dangers of booster and player influence when it comes to coaching decisions.

Some people work for a lifetime to find their level of incompetence.  Fortunately, I found it early on!

I'm reasonably sure Coach O'Keefe saw the writing on the wall after one year and hit the ejector seat.  I think it would be a stretch to say it was the career he envisioned.  He did get a great deal at Iowa and has made the most of it.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 11:09:09 am »

A DIII coordinator??  That's what this has come to?  Great. Put a DIII The program is dead, may as well cremate the body. 

If you think being a 57 year old career assistant is a great path, I guess O'Keefe is doing OK.  I believe Quartaro is out of coaching.  Foley hasn't gotten a decent job.  O'Neal Tutien never worked in football again.  Ya, leaving Fordham is a real launching pad for a football career.

Old Coach your becoming so predictable and this year long rant about the facilities and why we dont belong in this level of footballis old and tired. How old was Tuten when he left?   Some coaches never coach again, period. Did Brian Mahoney ever coach again?  It happens, it doesnt mean that SJU is a career ender basketball job does it?   How much does a D3 head coach make?  How much does the coach at Maritime make?   You have a family and 3 kids and a chance to triple your salary , with a guranteed deal for 5 years, you are going to do it. It is idiotic to suggest otherwise that a coach is going to pass up an opportunity and worry about a career killer and let some other coach take the job for the big pay day.  Just idiotic. And not true.

You are making it sound as if every single coach in 1-AA ( or whatever the term ) goes on to bigger and better jobs and that is simply not true. Fordham has won 2 conference championships, a playoff game and had 3 coaches move to 1A, 2 as a coordinator and 1 as a HC. Our track record is not very different than that of the fate of other coaches at this level.

Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »

Old Coach your becoming so predictable and this year long rant about the facilities and why we dont belong in this level of footballis old and tired. How old was Tuten when he left?   Some coaches never coach again, period. Did Brian Mahoney ever coach again?  It happens, it doesnt mean that SJU is a career ender basketball job does it?   How much does a D3 head coach make?  How much does the coach at Maritime make?   You have a family and 3 kids and a chance to triple your salary , with a guranteed deal for 5 years, you are going to do it. It is idiotic to suggest otherwise that a coach is going to pass up an opportunity and worry about a career killer and let some other coach take the job for the big pay day.  Just idiotic. And not true.

After Coach Foley was let go, Dave Cohen said publicly that he wasn't interested in the Fordham job.  Back then, Chuck Priore didn't want this job, either.  Heck, even Coach Clawson didn't want the job when it was offered to him after Coach Quartaro left.  He took the job a year later though after Coach O'Keefe left, probably because he was promised a bigger budget, which he got.

Our biggest problem is facilities.  Each year, we fall further and further behind in the facilities race.  I went to a game at Ball State yesterday, and it's amazing what they've done with their 44-year-old stadium.  You wouldn't recognize it from just a few years ago.  However, you wouldn't notice much difference in Jack "Coffee Can" Field from when the current grandstand was built 25 years ago to now.  Heck, you wouldn't notice much difference in our basketball facilities 86 years ago to now!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:37:01 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:58 pm »

Times have changed economically.  Ram Man are you telling me that if the coach at SUNY Maritime were offered this job he would turn it down?  I think otherwise. 

If our job is as horrendous and is being suggested, and if Massella is such a good and solid coach, then why didnt he leave? If the job is so bad, he should have bolted after he won a PL championship, why didnt he?  Maybe because there arent that many of these nice paying jobs out there?

The arguments being made here make little sense. Massella takes the job, wins a title at this horrendous, impossible place, and nobody offered him a job? Or, he wanted to stay at this downtrodden leper colony of a coaching job?   Some are suggesting that our job is the worst of the worst and no sane coach would come here. Well, we hire a guy who comes to this impossible place and wins a championship. By this logic Massella should have been able to parlay that into an SEC job.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:31:25 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »

Well 85, not sure where that side argument goes and what your point overall is.    The real point of this thread is what does Fordham do with Masella (as an insitution...neither you nor I have any influence on the matter whatsoever...LOL) and who does Fordham hire if they fire him?   

And what does Masella want to do?  What does he see as his options and future at Fordham?   

Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 02:01:35 pm »

The point is that some here think our job is the worst job out there and nobody wants it. My point is that is not true. The side point is that if our job was as bad as it is portrayed here, why the hell would Masella have stayed after he won a PL title?
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 02:11:52 pm »

Some people work for a lifetime to find their level of incompetence.  Fortunately, I found it early on!

I'm reasonably sure Coach O'Keefe saw the writing on the wall after one year and hit the ejector seat.  I think it would be a stretch to say it was the career he envisioned.  He did get a great deal at Iowa and has made the most of it.
Wrong, his friend was named HC at Iowa and reached out for Coach O'Keefe for offensive coordinator.  The man would have been insane to turn down the job.

By the way, Coach O'Keefe referred either Kirwin Watson or Javarus Dudley to FU.
Report Spam   Logged
ramMan
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 05:55:15 pm »

The point is that some here think our job is the worst job out there and nobody wants it. My point is that is not true. The side point is that if our job was as bad as it is portrayed here, why the hell would Masella have stayed after he won a PL title?

Coach Masella has stated several times in the past that after the incidents of 9/11, he and his wife wanted to move back to New York to be closer to family.  I don't think he's ever viewed the Fordham job as a stepping stone to a better one, but rather as a place he could spend the rest of coaching career (see Andy Talley at Villanova).

Our football program has a lot of positives, which I've listed below.
  - NCAA maximum number of athletic scholarships
  - One of the biggest football budgets at the FCS level (2nd largest nationally just a couple of years ago)
  - Nearly $1 million coaches' salary budget
  - Strong alumni support
  - NYC location, providing a variety of internship opportunities for our student-athletes
  - Excellent academics (Fordham is ranked #53 in the National Universities category per USN&WR)

But we also have some glaring negatives, which are mostly facilities related (see list below).
  - Half stadium
  - Aluminum bleachers
  - Weight room the size of a two-car garage and used by every varsity sport (over 500 athletes!)
  - Football coaches' offices scattered throughout campus

I don't know who the coach is at Maritime, but if he's interested in the Fordham job simply because it pays better, I don't want him.  I'd want someone like Clawson or Pete Lembo, who get the job done and move on to something better.  BTW, I saw Lembo yesterday at the game I went to at Ball State.  He's now the head coach there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:35:14 pm by ramMan » Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »

RamMan you missed several glaring negatives.

But in a nutshell its that despite all the positives we have, including the money (where does it go....?), we have pathetic results year in and year out.   And at the end of the day, that is unacceptable to students, alumni and fans.   

So again, I want to ask Coach Masella what he thinks is the problem there?   We outspend nearly every FCS team in the nation and have pathetic results.   

Delaware, Richmond, Villanova, Appalachian State (four-peat national champs), James Madison, UMass, Montana all have vastly superior programs, and you are suggesting they spend less money on football?   Seriously?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: